Welcome to Gaia! ::

oh hey gurl y u no wanna talk to me is it bc im ugly?

yes. 1 100.0% [ 60 ]
Total Votes:[ 60 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 23 24 > >>

Demonic Ally

Posties The Artificer
Brain Weasels
I don't know if I've replied to this thread yet or not, but my opinions are as such

Catcalling isn't good or bad, and it's been around forever, and it's not going away.
Just ignore it and focus on some real issues in the world, like people ******** starving to death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition
Homie....tradition isn't grounds for keeping something, and just because there's other issues, doesn't mean you get to discount ones you've deemed to be less important. Issue = Issue, regardless of severity.
It's not a tradition.
It's just a thing.
It'll never go away.
People need to learn to deal with it.
Whoop de ******** do
User Image

This isn't even a situation that effects me, but still riles me up.
Some people on the thread have said that only a few of the things said were rude. It's not about WHAT you say, but the tone and motive behind it. Especially with some of the men saying "Well fine then" or "What, you don't want to talk to me?" That's something that worries me, that someone feels entitlement to a complete stranger's time.

THEN AGAIN, my family is Norwegian. So it's a completely different culture to grow up with. We don't make eye contact with people on the streets or talk to strangers really.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Romeigh
Roy Cura
Romeigh
Roy Cura
Romeigh
Men can control themselves and saying they can't help but to harass women on the street because it's their instinct to (when they see an attractive woman) is of course an excuse and a stupid one.

Who said that?

I was making reference to the OP's original question about how I feel about people excusing cat-calls as just a man's natural instinct when he sees an attractive woman. If you're asking who says it's a man's natural instinct, just look at the Youtube comments for that video.

I just loaded the page, hit CTRL+F, and searched a few keywords (e.g., instinct, nature, natural). I didn’t really find anything. Am I going to have to expand a lot of the discussions and hit “Show More Comments” a few times? If so, then I’ll just take you at your word, because it’s not worth the time or the effort to sift through YouTube comments.

Uh, really?
Maybe you need to reread the OP's post.
One of the questions asks people's opinions on when people think it is a man's instinct to cat-call women on the street. My opinion is that it is just an excuse, and a stupid one at that.
Do I really need to expand any further? Lol. User Image

And yeah, I looked at the Youtube video and I did see people excusing it as something men just do, that women should feel flattered by it. And that's bullshit.
Even if you can't see the comments yourself, I can assure you there are people out there who think this is just something men do. I've encountered them myself in person.

Yeah, you got me there. I didn’t read the OP at all.

Anyone who believes it’s beyond the ability of a man to withhold from catcalling a woman is an idiot I’d say.

Bashful Businesswoman

Miragen

I'm sure catcalling leads to murder, not the fact that these guys are total psychos.
And you pulled up a few artictles from the same feminist ( which means it's irrelevant ).

And i'm not saying it doesn't happen, problem is that ALL men get accused because of this even though it's a very small amount of guys who are actually doing it to a problematic degree, which basicly means men stop giving a ******** if they get accused of everything that some guy, somewhere, at some point did.

And as a guy you aren't save from such guys, they just stand around waiting for people to beat up.
Every week here there are guys that get beaten into the hospital for no other reason as being an easy target and the wrong place at the wrong time.

But ofcourse, the same guys complimenting your a** is the bigger problem.

I don't ******** care about random guys being beaten up. This isn't what this thread is about.
I don't give a single damn.
If it gets your panties in a bunch that much, then go make your own thread and complain about them there.
Because I honestly do not give a single iota of a damn.
Stop derailing the thread to whine about how haaaaard da poor men have it!
That's not what this topic is about. Quit it.

And you're an idiot if you think that street harassment is a “compliment” or “no big deal” or that it’s “irrational” of us to be afraid because “what’s actually gonna happen.” I honestly can't figure out if you're a complete idiot, willfully ignorant, or just trying to mess with me. Seriously. How can anyone look at this situation and actually say what you're saying.
Many women have already told their experiences here on why they don't think it's a compliment.
I already gave you more then one link on why catcalling can actually lead TO MURDER.
So now I just have to assume you can't read and you're a shitty person who didn't care about anyone's feelings other then your own and are only focused on making yourself the biggest victim in any situation.
emotion_eyebrow
You're the reason why no one takes men right groups seriously you know. Just thought I point that out.

Chatty Codger

6,775 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
This Is NoMercy
SamaSenseiSenpai

This is more feminist "MY LIFE SO HARD CUZ I GET COMPLIMENTS ALL DAY!!!!" bullshit. You are privileged as a woman in this society. Why the ******** are there no "white male" rights groups or movements going on? We get the s**t kicked out of us socially, and physically. No one says a word. A woman gets a few compliments because she looks like a d**k-hunter, and now there are all these sympathizers?!? Are you serious?

In San Francisco last year, a man stabbed a woman in the face and arm after she didn’t respond positively to his sexually harassing her on the street. .

In Bradenton, Fla., a man shot a high school senior to death after she and her friends refused to perform oral sex at his request.

In Chicago, a scared 15-year-old was hit by a car and died after she tried escaping from harassers on a bus.

Again, in Chicago, a man grabbed a 19-year-old walking on a public thoroughfare, pulled her onto a gangway and assaulted her.

In Savannah, Georgia, a woman was walking alone at night and three men approached her. She ignored them, but they pushed her to the ground and sexually assaulted her.

In Manhattan, a 29-year-old pregnant woman was killed when men catcalling from a van drove onto the sidewalk and hit her and her friend.

Last week, a runner in California — a woman — was stopped and asked, by a strange man in a car, if she wanted a ride. When she declined he ran her over twice.”

People are so up in arms over it because catcalling can literally lead to murder and/or rape.
It's not a damn compliment genius.
emotion_eyebrow
Catcalling is made to make person targeted feel violated, uncomfortable, or threatened.
Quit derailing the thread and jacking off the men's right movement and stop downplaying actual important issues.

Now, to be fair, all those women must have said, done, or worn something to warrant the aforementioned actions.

But in reality, let's look at this. Blaming catcalling for these actions is like saying that a lion's roar is responsible for it ripping your throat out and eating you. It's not. The lion was already pre-disposed to doing that. Obviously, the person or persons responsible for these actions were already at a place where they were willing to commit these incidents catcalls or not. Catcalling is not made to make someone feel violated. It's made because guys think with their penises and don't stop to consider what their words say. If the intent is to make someone feel threatened then you threaten them. There is a difference between whistling at a girl and saying "I'm going to ******** you hard."

Tipsy Prophet

Should people have to endure creepy comments and whatnot?
I don't know. No?

Men's instinct being used as an excuse to harass people/victim blaming?
Bullshit. I live in a place where people don't catcall or randomly start suggesting stuff (usually they don't) on the streets so I'm going to say it all boils down to culture. The only creepy guys who I've met have been foreigners/immigrants. All the guys who are pushy and don't take a no for a no? Middle aged people who have lived most if their life so far elsewhere. Either Finnish guys have different "instinct" than all the other men or it just really isn't instinct.

Do you think that people who are upset by this are too sensitive? Or that this is a real issue.
I don't know. People who call catcalling/random comments&attempts to have a conversation oppression are definitely over reacting or turning it into a bigger deal than it is but I really don't know what kind of an issue this really is.

Bashful Businesswoman

Artan Zuill

Now, to be fair, all those women must have said, done, or worn something to warrant the aforementioned actions.

emotion_eyebrow
I know this was "sarcasm" and all but can you not.

Quote:
But in reality, let's look at this. Blaming catcalling for these actions is like saying that a lion's roar is responsible for it ripping your throat out and eating you. It's not. The lion was already pre-disposed to doing that. Obviously, the person or persons responsible for these actions were already at a place where they were willing to commit these incidents catcalls or not. Catcalling is not made to make someone feel violated. It's made because guys think with their penises and don't stop to consider what their words say. If the intent is to make someone feel threatened then you threaten them. There is a difference between whistling at a girl and saying "I'm going to ******** you hard."

Catcallong still started all of these acts of violence. And even if it never gets as bad as the links I posted, it still makes women feel uncomfortable and they don't ******** like it. Read though this entire thread if you don't believe me.

It doesn't matter if the catcaller didn't mean to make women feel violated, that's what it does. Even if they didn't intend for it to come across that way, it doesn't matter.

It is inevitable that men and women will find other men and women attractive, but what shifts a catcall from innocent and fleeting attraction to objectification in its purest form is the decision to act on it. One minute you’re just walking down the street and in complete control of your own life, and the next you’re verbally ambushed by a stranger who forcefully inserts themselves into your life to declare their opinion of your body as if it were definitive.
A catcall reveals a disregard for her discomfort or irritation or fear, and signals that a woman is nothing more than her body or the ways in which she chooses to dress it.

If your response to all of this is just going to be "NOT ALL MEN!! IT JUST A COMPLIMENT OMG SHUTDDAP!!!"
then don't even bother posting.
I'm tired of having multiple women explain why they don't like catcalling, only to have guys discard their feelings like its not important.
Catcalling isn't okay.
It's dangerous.
Most women don't like it.
That's it.
/thread

Dabbler

This Is NoMercy
I don't ******** care about random guys being beaten up. This isn't what this thread is about.
If it gets your panties in a bunch that much, then go make your own thread and complain about them there.

And you're an idiot if you think that street harassment is a “compliment” or “no big deal” or that it’s “irrational” of us to be afraid because “what’s actually gonna happen.” I honestly can't figure out if you're a complete idiot, willfully ignorant, or just trying to mess with me. Seriously. How can anyone look at this situation and actually say what you're saying.
Many women have already told their experiences here on why they don't think it's a compliment.
I already gave you more then one link on why catcalling can actually lead TO MURDER.
So now I just have to assume you can't read and you're a shitty person who didn't care about anyone's feelings other then your own and are only focused on making yourself the biggest victim in any situation.
emotion_eyebrow
You're the reason why no one takes men right groups seriously you know. Just thought I point that out.
I don't see why you seem to be taking the moral high ground when you "don't ******** care" about other people being victimized. You only care when it affects you. Then don't ask people to care about something that doesn't affect them.

Dapper Gawker

8,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Miragen
Complimenting women, wishing them a good day, goddamn these men!
Also this is ******** new york city, and she isn't just an average looking woman, and she knows it considering the way she is dressed.

a tshirt and jeans? woah nelly, what a sloot, amirite?

Bunny

Should people have to endure creepy comments and whatnot?
                      No, I would be a bit scared if men kept constantly cat calling at me.
                      Men's instinct being used as an excuse to harass people/victim blaming?
                      It's okay to think a woman is beautiful and to compliment them but the part that is off putting is if they say "Daaaaamnnn" and continue on with other things thinking it's a compliment. How is following a woman for 5 minutes going to help that dude get any? Who knows.
                      Do you think that people who are upset by this are too sensitive? Or that this is a real issue.
                      I think the ones who say "Oh my god, he said she's cute! Harassment!" is a bit dumb. It is a real issue but I don't see it as a major one. I don't see it as that big of a deal unless the men take it a step further and decide that it's okay to start physically touching the women.

Bashful Businesswoman

Naked Bacon
This Is NoMercy

emotion_eyebrow
I don't see why you seem to be taking the moral high ground when you "don't ******** care" about other people being victimized. You only care when it affects you. Then don't ask people to care about something that doesn't affect them.

Because I'm tired of people trying to change the subject and not focus on the actual issue.
Constantly shoving something in my face when I'm talking about something else isn't going to make me care or like it. It's just going to annoy me.

I'm not taking any "moral high ground" I'm just tired of people taking important issues like this and twisting it and making it all about them. This thread isn't about "men getting beat up." So why bring it up?
You don't dismiss what I'm asking about and being up some weird random "lol its just a compliment!!!!!men are always getting beat up that's the real issue here!!!" shtick and expect me to care. You don't care what I'm talking about, so why should I care about what you're saying.
If you clearly don't give a s**t about my promblems, why why should I give a s**t about yours.
[.Ichigo-Chan.]
Miragen
Complimenting women, wishing them a good day, goddamn these men!
Also this is ******** new york city, and she isn't just an average looking woman, and she knows it considering the way she is dressed.

a tshirt and jeans? woah nelly, what a sloot, amirite?

Didn't say that she was dressed like a slut.
This Is NoMercy
Miragen

I'm sure catcalling leads to murder, not the fact that these guys are total psychos.
And you pulled up a few artictles from the same feminist ( which means it's irrelevant ).

And i'm not saying it doesn't happen, problem is that ALL men get accused because of this even though it's a very small amount of guys who are actually doing it to a problematic degree, which basicly means men stop giving a ******** if they get accused of everything that some guy, somewhere, at some point did.

And as a guy you aren't save from such guys, they just stand around waiting for people to beat up.
Every week here there are guys that get beaten into the hospital for no other reason as being an easy target and the wrong place at the wrong time.

But ofcourse, the same guys complimenting your a** is the bigger problem.

emotion_eyebrow

For one, I'm not saying that men have it bad or worse, i'm saying that there is a mutual problem on the streets, but, as usual, only the female side of it is being discussed.

And I like this part: I'm a shitty person who doesn't care about anyone's feeling but their own, and I am only trying to make myself a victim ''

Nowhere in my post did I say anything that was related to myself, I was talking about the entire male gender, I guess that's pretty selfish alright.
And you started your post with : I DONT GIVE A DAMN, and then proceeded to accuse me of not giving a damn.
On top of that, I'm not aware of the existance of any male rights group, nor do I see how I suddenly became spokesman for it.

You are actually part of the problem though, you complain about being harassed by men on the streets, yet you are unwilling to take any of their problems seriously, but you still expect them to give a damn about yours?

Familiar Friend

User Image

Its annoying whenever guys catcall, but its super creepy if they follow you like those two guys.
Although Ill never forget this homeless man in San Fran who I'd passed by maybe 3 times before, and he finally saw me:
"Damn, you so fine, I aint even gonna ask you for spare change, god bless yuh."
I laughed so good around the next block.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff