Welcome to Gaia! ::

oh hey gurl y u no wanna talk to me is it bc im ugly?

yes. 1 100.0% [ 60 ]
Total Votes:[ 60 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 23 24 > >>

So, I just now saw this video, and I can't believe the amount of people who are actually against her for doing this. How anyone can think that walking with a girl like that for five minutes on purpose, or looking down at her butt and going "god bless you mama" isn't creepy as s**t is beyond me. The comments even go as far as to victim blame and talk about her outfit like was provocative and excuse this behavior because of "male instinct".

I have no issue with compliments or greetings, some of these people in the video where fine. Like "good evening" or "have a good day beautiful" are fine. It's not hard to not be offensive, it should be common sense to know when you've been staring too long or just in general making someone uncomfortable. Most things in the video weren't that bad, I'm mainly looking at: 0:28, 0:42, 0:50, and 1:20.

Discuss this s**t:

Should people have to endure creepy comments and whatnot?

Men's instinct being used as an excuse to harass people/victim blaming?

Do you think that people who are upset by this are too sensitive? Or that this is a real issue.

(thought i'd add some discussion points hue)

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Ah yes, this has been circulating my facebook for a few days now.

I think it's deplorable, but I kind of want to know what the solution could be. The video has a link to a charity, but they basically say "Record street harrassment and put it on the internet!"
To me it just seems like "Well, why are people going to give you money when they go do that for free?"

It reminds me a little of this. The guy who's holding the camera seems to be exactly like the men in that video, only probably 50 shades of more retarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gYYrv1PiI

Versatile Vampire

[******** creepy as hell
this is why women carry mace

Invisible Humorist

i wonder if all the females i've said hello to think of me as an a*****e

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200
I like getting attention so it doesn't bother me, so long as they aren't vulgar or aggressive.

Original Regular

I call out to kitties if I see them near the road I'm walking along because I like to pet kitties and I need to have some way to get their attention hopefully to lure them closer to me so that I may pet them and snuggle them and I love kitties and that is why I like cat calling and this was my 4th grade book report in Ms. Spellman's class and my name is David C. Getphuckedpheagtors.

Angelic Friend

People should NOT have to endure that kind of bullshit, and I'm talking about women here since usually it's women that are cat-called in public.
Men can control themselves and saying they can't help but to harass women on the street because it's their instinct to (when they see an attractive woman) is of course an excuse and a stupid one.

Ugh. s**t like this really bothers me. sad
It's happened to me before and it's just so uncalled for. Like please, be on your way and don't disrespect me like that.

Original Regular

GhostlyMark
i wonder if all the females i've said hello to think of me as an a*****e

Eh meh gee yer basicvally raeping them wih yourn male patghreaiarchy RAPE-O-VISIONâ„¢ AND U R is am skum rapeists misgoynist bastared kill all men i em womyn her me roar OMG I WANT EQUALITY I forgot what the hell this topic was about, what am I even . . .

Submerged Nymph

No. emotion_donotwant

Men's instinct being used as an excuse to harass people/victim blaming?

It's bull. There's no "instinct" causing them to do this crap. They're not mindless beasts, despite their claims to the contrary.

Do you think that people who are upset by this are too sensitive? Or that this is a real issue.
Real issue. Lemme tell a story.

I was trying to get into running. I went out a few times, was almost starting to enjoy it. But there was a couple things that happened at the same time that just shook me up.

There was a guy in a car who slowed down and just leered at me while he was passing me on a side street. I freaked out, turned around and went back to the main street, where some guy on a bike said something to me. My dumb self stopped, asked "What?" and we chatted for a moment... During which the first guy had turned around, came out of the side street, and did the same ******** thing he did the first time. The second guy, at the end of the conversation, looked me up and down and said "Cuuuute." It was sexual. And gross.

I went home. Bought mace a few days later so I could continue running without being scared.

This was a few weeks ago and was the last time I went running. I can't bring myself to go out again. I'm too terrified.
The Ice Dervish

No, but what are you going to do about it?

Men's instinct being used as an excuse to harass people/victim blaming?)

I don't blame men. I have four(4) brothers and they do not behave this way. Yet, men are always blamed for what other men do.

I never had a problem with cat call in general until one day I got more than I ever gotten in my life. I wanted to cry because I was so scared. I believe she went in for a mission to show what really happens to some woman.

Many guy think they are helping a women's self-esteem.

It is when I am looking into my car and a group of men walk by and start yelling sexual things towards me. Or when I am walking down the road and a man follows me to get my attention. It scares me. My friends and I have a code because we just so happen to be girls that have nice faces. We never travel alone.

I cover my full body and do not wear make-up or tight clothing. I still get guys that follow me or call at me. I try my best to stay home.

People get upset when they are feeling attacked. I am on the fence with this problem just because it has been happening forever.

Bashful Businesswoman

To make it even worse, I heard the lady who was in the video, actually got multiple rape and death threats.
And yet, I still see men telling me sexism isn't a problem and anymore, and that I'm just "overreacting" whenever I point it out/talk about it.
hmm hmmm
yup
lol
sure thing
Complimenting women, wishing them a good day, goddamn these men!
Also this is ******** new york city, and she isn't just an average looking woman, and she knows it considering the way she is dressed.

Tipsy Kitten

Am I the only person here who doesn't mind being whistled at, or called beautiful, by a random stranger? As long as they don't touch me, I don't find it to be harassing at all.

Like said girl up top who said comments made her afraid of going out? Put on your big girl panties and grow up.
unrelated but not totally unrelated
i like to walk a lot (partly owing to the fact that i don't have a car) and from time to time people who're more than likely students at the local public high school like to shout things out their car windows at me as they drive by
most recently someone was all "******** YOU!" as i was crossing the road
i'm just waiting for the day one of them has the balls to stop the car and say it to my face, but i'm guessing that's never going to happen because they're all p***y bitches

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

it's a shame because i've been in a really bad mood lately and want an excuse to beat the s**t out of someone (with good reason)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff