Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okami Attorney
Nathan Angelo
oh come on, admit it, for all the fanbase of big animes/mangas, SHIPPING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS....
SO YEAH,,,
User Image

Though I think there are some fandoms that take shipping a bit more seriously than this one *cough*Homestuck*cough*

And on the subject of shipping: I love SeaLat. Because they're really cute together in several ways. ;o;

Shipping wars are really stupid and being so frustrated by a pairing you don't like that you can't function properly is hardly ever a good thing. But I guess it is fun to watch them get mad over it..
User Image

RAWR! I DON'T SHIP SEALAT, I SHIP RUSLAT, WE CANNOT BE FRIENDS!!! scream
razz
aviatea
Raivis of Riga
And my argument is ignored in favor of shipping wars... great...
But yes, they are stupid. It's one thing to have a respectful debate on why one pairing would work better/make more sense than another, but to flat out fight over it is ridiculous.

It wasn't ignored! I just noticed the shipping war thing first and forgot to comment on your post. My apologies.

I agree with you. When I look at Joker, I see Alfred and Arthur, not the US and the UK/England (even though it's hilarious to see BBC News fawn over the 'special relationship' LOL). It can be hard to explain, but you've pretty much said everything.

And for that lovely phrase, Winston Churchill will forever have my appreciation.

I agree with Raivis, as well.

Furthermore:

It's quite the shame, really. I've seen groups devoted to how "historically insensitive" Hetalia is (and, more so, to the historical insensitivity it "generates" ) because of fan behavior. As far as I'm concerned, it's a great historical/political satire that gives me an excuse to laugh when I'm looking for one.
In the same way that I like the Mental Floss take on the history of the United States (has anyone read that?), I adore Hetalia. It's meant to be taken lightly--- and that would seem an obvious conclusion.
Alas, with the deadly combination of fan behavior and subject matter, that fact is ignored.

Although I'll never truly hate the rabid fans (though the Holocaust incident with the cosplayers leaves me aghast), I do wish that my fandom garnered less hate--- otherwise, I wouldn't feel so on edge at cons (where I am nearly obligated to keep my mouth shut, for fear that the slightest "fangirly" action would only add to the fandom's reputation). In addition, it makes me default on "BUTHETALIAOFFERSHISTORY,RIGHT?DON'TSHOOTME." That's not to say that Hetalia doesn't have facts peppered throughout the webcomic (because, clearly, that's a large aspect of the series)--- but, the point is, I am inclined to emphasize that fact when the series is mocked for fandumb and stupidity (I, and others I have seen, do this almost to redeem it). Of course, the responding reaction from fanhate is to presume that we (as it has been my experience) think that Hetalia is a substitute for primary sources.
Uh, no.
And then, without further explanation, I'm no better than every other "Hetafag" (and I can't even begin to express how much I hate that label).

So, yes, (once more) I concur!

On the note of shipping wars: It's something worthy of awe, that's for sure (just, not in a positive sense). I do have my favorite pairings (USUK and GerIta), but I'd never hate anyone for liking FrUK (instead of USUK).
I often find myself reading fanfictions outside of my usual ships, anyway (FrUS, PruIta, Romerica).

KasumiNyan's Wife

Aged Cat

xXxAkatsuki-GeishaxXx

Ma'am I like you. I like you a lot.

I giggle at the jokes. Like, in the series when Romano was taunting Ludwig and he was like "Oh, what did you bring me? Another Jew?" I will admit I laughed. More than I probably should have. But, Hetalia is NOT supposed to be taken serious.

Another thing that kinda peeves me is the fans that claim they learned EVERYTHING from Hetalia. Whereas, it does point out a lot of things in history that are of substance. I do not see where it can be held as an entire History class.

I loved world history long before I watched Hetalia so that might be a large part of my ragefilled bias.

Winston Churchill <3 let me love you.

I am guilty of Hetafag labels but I tend to use those on fans I really can't stand. And, that's a lot of them.

Is it sad this thread makes me so happy by finding people out there that can carry on a conversation longer than.

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!SQUEEAMERICAIZKAWAIIDESU!!!!ONE1111!!!!!!

RusLietkthxbai

Dapper Pup

Raivis of Riga
Okami Attorney
Nathan Angelo
oh come on, admit it, for all the fanbase of big animes/mangas, SHIPPING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS....
SO YEAH,,,
User Image

Though I think there are some fandoms that take shipping a bit more seriously than this one *cough*Homestuck*cough*

And on the subject of shipping: I love SeaLat. Because they're really cute together in several ways. ;o;

Shipping wars are really stupid and being so frustrated by a pairing you don't like that you can't function properly is hardly ever a good thing. But I guess it is fun to watch them get mad over it..
User Image

RAWR! I DON'T SHIP SEALAT, I SHIP RUSLAT, WE CANNOT BE FRIENDS!!! scream
razz

Baww ;A;

I ship RusLat too. But I enjoy the former more..in a sort of brotherXbrother sense.
ninja
Ahem...
RusLat derp-fluff
RusLat melancholy-fluff
RusLat OHSHITIT'SWWIII

Now that I've shamelessly plugged my less than mediocre fanfiction...
I hate people who claim you can't learn ANYTHING from Hetalia. If you claim to have learned everything you know about history/culture/etc. from it then you know ******** nothing. But if you say there is nothing it can teach you then you have your head up your a**. If nothing else, I learned certain countries exist. I'd never heard of any of the Baltic countries, Belarus, Sealand, Liechtenstein, Seychelles, Prussia. Actually, I learned from a Hetalia fanfic recently that Latvia WAS briefly mentioned in one of my classes. It was just called Lettland. neutral We are not German, why are we using the German name for Latvia? Anyway... Like with everything, moderation is key. It can't be your only resource, but it can be a resource.
I once saw people bashing someone over wishing their History teacher would use Hetalia as a teaching tool. When I stood up for them, claiming that there are times it could be useful, they all just looked at me like I was an idiot. It really irks me, because there was a teacher at my high school who used a clip from Family Guy during a lecture about Hitler, and everyone applauded him for it. So, Family Guy is educational but not Hetalia?

Then there are the big idiots who claim that it's offensive because they made Germany "too nice". "He should be mean, and evil, he's a Nazi, raaawwwr!" Yeah, ok, except he's NOT Nazi Germany. He's not Hitler, he does not represent the Nazi party. He is Germany. JUST Germany, in its entirety. I don't think the people of Germany would be happy to be portrayed as a bunch of angry Nazis. "But it's about WWII, so he IS Nazi Germany!" Yeah, uh-huh, except that it's not ALL about WWII. PARTS of it are, more so in Axis Powers than World Series. Making that claim, that Hetalia is just about WWII, only shows what little you know about what you're against. You're no better than America during The Red Scare. "Ooooh~ Scary evil Commies~" "Ooooh~ Racist offensive Hetalia~"

stressed *fumes*
Booberry Muffins

But I can't cosplay either way. D:
I'm a poorfag with no money. |D

lolololol.
I only do a few pairings. But my main one is America x Fem!Russia.
That's it. And I hardly discuss pairings.
Raivis of Riga

Then there are the big idiots who claim that it's offensive because they made Germany "too nice". "He should be mean, and evil, he's a Nazi, raaawwwr!" Yeah, ok, except he's NOT Nazi Germany. He's not Hitler, he does not represent the Nazi party. He is Germany. JUST Germany, in its entirety. I don't think the people of Germany would be happy to be portrayed as a bunch of angry Nazis. "But it's about WWII, so he IS Nazi Germany!" Yeah, uh-huh, except that it's not ALL about WWII. PARTS of it are, more so in Axis Powers than World Series. Making that claim, that Hetalia is just about WWII, only shows what little you know about what you're against. You're no better than America during The Red Scare. "Ooooh~ Scary evil Commies~" "Ooooh~ Racist offensive Hetalia~"

I thought Germany was appropriate. Before the beginning of the war the people were fond of their extremist government, mainly because they pulled they through a hard time. But by the end of the war the people were more afraid of their own government then the nightly bombings by the U.S. & U.K.

And well of course, no matter how much you try, there's no way you can make a satirical cartoon of genocide and making it light, so therefore it's not mentioned at all in the series.
Mm... There's also those who claim "It's biased in favor of Japan! They make fun of other countries but only say nice things about Japan!"
Small p***s joke in episode four, your argument is invalid. talk2hand
Raivis of Riga
ninja
Ahem...
RusLat derp-fluff
RusLat melancholy-fluff
RusLat OHSHITIT'SWWIII

Now that I've shamelessly plugged my less than mediocre fanfiction...
I hate people who claim you can't learn ANYTHING from Hetalia. If you claim to have learned everything you know about history/culture/etc. from it then you know ******** nothing. But if you say there is nothing it can teach you then you have your head up your a**. If nothing else, I learned certain countries exist. I'd never heard of any of the Baltic countries, Belarus, Sealand, Liechtenstein, Seychelles, Prussia. Actually, I learned from a Hetalia fanfic recently that Latvia WAS briefly mentioned in one of my classes. It was just called Lettland. neutral We are not German, why are we using the German name for Latvia? Anyway... Like with everything, moderation is key. It can't be your only resource, but it can be a resource.
I once saw people bashing someone over wishing their History teacher would use Hetalia as a teaching tool. When I stood up for them, claiming that there are times it could be useful, they all just looked at me like I was an idiot. It really irks me, because there was a teacher at my high school who used a clip from Family Guy during a lecture about Hitler, and everyone applauded him for it. So, Family Guy is educational but not Hetalia?

stressed *fumes*

I agree with you fully.
While I am opposed to "I learned everything from Hetalia" (and, even then, it doesn't bother me that much), I don't see why it can't be used for fun facts or to reinforce an idea. You're right. I don't know how I would feel about it being used as an actual lesson, but why not for fun? My APUSH teacher, after a lesson on the Alamo, thought it would be comedic to show everyone a rather famous clip of "The Alamo doesn't have a basement!" It was done at the end of the day and, all in all, I don't think my understanding was hindered.
Recently, my AP Government teacher let us watch a few scenes from the musical 1776.
And that, my fellow Hetalia fans, made me fangirl more than every instance of ship tease (in Hetalia) combined.

Is the Declaration of Independence a joke to me, now that I have seen that film?

Nope.

Did I spend more money on iTunes, though?

Perhaps. wink

@Booberry: I am honored! Also, I laughed at that joke too! My favorite, though, would have to be: "And how about that time I burnt down your capital in 1814..."

KasumiNyan's Wife

Aged Cat

Oh, I won't say that I didn't learn things from there.

THOUGH I KNEW PRUSSIA WAS A COUNTRY biggrin LONG BEFORE HETALIA

/caps off.

Gah, I hate that Nazi Germany is the ONLY Germany too. Or "OMG WHY IS THERE TWO ITALYS!?" Um, because that's history kids. And, even to this day the Northern and Southern halves are two basically different cultures.

As for the Japan thing. They obviously don't pay attention well enough. Japan either makes fun of himself or there is honestly references making fun of Japanese culture in the series. It's even worse in the web comic. There really is NO bias to countries.

Sadly, I will say that EVERY American stereotype is pretty accurate. And, maybe that's why I love my country more <3

@ Miss Tittles ;~; I still love you~
Booberry Muffins

Sadly, I will say that EVERY American stereotype is pretty accurate. And, maybe that's why I love my country more <3

The winter episode! heart My life. heart I felt so patriotic. YES! Stay inside at all costs, play video games, and hibernate! That is my winter. And the whole "It's SPRIIIING! *still ******** cold*" In fact, after that episode I got all pumped up for Spring and decided to rake the leaves (we don't rake our leaves til Spring, it's good for the grass). So I was out there, in a t-shirt and shorts in the ******** cold, raking leaves like a mad man screaming "IT'S SPRING, DAMMIT!"

KasumiNyan's Wife

Aged Cat

Raivis of Riga

There was someone who quoted on that episode on Youtube and it made me laugh because it's true:

"I could see Americans' trying to boycot winter."

;~; I love winter personally though.

The amount of people that was like "Why is America with an alien?" Though....oh lordy....Tony is awesome!

3,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Booberry Muffins
Oh, I won't say that I didn't learn things from there.

THOUGH I KNEW PRUSSIA WAS A COUNTRY biggrin LONG BEFORE HETALIA

/caps off.

Gah, I hate that Nazi Germany is the ONLY Germany too. Or "OMG WHY IS THERE TWO ITALYS!?" Um, because that's history kids. And, even to this day the Northern and Southern halves are two basically different cultures.

As for the Japan thing. They obviously don't pay attention well enough. Japan either makes fun of himself or there is honestly references making fun of Japanese culture in the series. It's even worse in the web comic. There really is NO bias to countries.

@ Miss Tittles ;~; I still love you~

THIS! Especially that bit about Japan. He's made fun of in the series too. He's tiny (in both height and, well...), he used to stay shut in his house, he prefers 2D over 3D, he's like an old man with too much of a salt intake, etc. I hate when people call him a Gary Stu.

KasumiNyan's Wife

Aged Cat

Delicate Lotus

Kinda like Germany and his beer intake wink Oh Germany....you crazy sexy drunkard.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff