Welcome to Gaia! ::

My favorite countries are Russia, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Japan, Mr. Austria whee , Holy Rome, China, France, America, Spain, and Finland...Who's missing?....

OMG CANADA! Crap I forgot about him...CRRRRAAAAAPPPPP! sweatdrop gonk crying

I love how Italy is unique enough to be everyone's main thought! Him and his tomatoe box fairies...

With Germany, I just love the manly...ness. Delicous!

Japan with his racist accent...funny, soft spoken, and cute in a shy guy that gets bullied kind of way...

China,...........I want to try his chinese tasty treats! But I'll only get hungry again... gonk

Canada....Who were we talking about? Ehhhh...not important.

Russia, He broke an evil chair! AN EVIL CHAIR! IT KILLED HOW MANY PEOPLE?! NOBODY THOUGHT TWICE ABOUT RUSSIA EXCEPT FRANCE?!

Holy Rome,...I still don't think he knew Italy was a dude...but Mr. Austria knew... rofl

America...we need help... neutral

Latvia...afraid of Russia obviously...

Finland, small country that I'm not even going to get into...

Spain,...has delicous churros! 4laugh

France,...at one point wanted Britain to marry him...we never really found out where that went... neutral
I think Finland needs better characterization. I think this person (who is from Finland) does a pretty good job.
User Image

Dapper Pup

User Image

I have a question for everyone:

Has Hetalia inspired anyone to learn the language(s) of their favorite countries?

Because I was thinking of picking up Russian and Finnish eventually. Since they're two of my favorites.
User Image
I'd like to learn Latvian. It's interesting.

Beloved Elder

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
Okami Attorney
User Image

I have a question for everyone:

Has Hetalia inspired anyone to learn the language(s) of their favorite countries?

Because I was thinking of picking up Russian and Finnish eventually. Since they're two of my favorites.
User Image

I now like Swedish technopop because of Hetalia.
I also went digging into Swedish since IMO Swedish is easier to learn than Finnish.
Merry Christmas in Swedish is God Jul, while in Finnish.....*digs up mule's sig*

Wealthy Bunny

11,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
@Okami:: Yes and no. I've always wanted to learn certain languages but Hetalia finally made me motivate myself. I'm now ever so slowly learning German, or at least I was until my power cord died. Now I can't use my language software :l

I'll eventually learn Italian, Russian and maybe Japanese. I was taking Latin classes back in high school but the class got cut :c I'll fluently learn you someday Latin, someday..

Dapper Pup

Leader of the Penguins

I now like Swedish technopop because of Hetalia.
I also went digging into Swedish since IMO Swedish is easier to learn than Finnish.
Merry Christmas in Swedish is God Jul, while in Finnish.....*digs up mule's sig*

I've wanted to learn Finnish since I started listening to the band HIM, but gave up on it and just recently came back to it...sorta. It's a really hard language to learn since there are so many cases for it.

Raivis of Riga
I'd like to learn Latvian. It's interesting.

Latvian looks like it might be fun to learn

Stitched Ghost
Yes and no. I've always wanted to learn certain languages but Hetalia finally made me motivate myself. I'm now ever so slowly learning German, or at least I was until my power cord died. Now I can't use my language software :l

I'll eventually learn Italian, Russian and maybe Japanese. I was taking Latin classes back in high school but the class got cut :c I'll fluently learn you someday Latin, someday..

Japanese grammar structure just seems really difficult to grasp.

Wealthy Bunny

11,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Okami Attorney
Japanese grammar structure just seems really difficult to grasp.

That's what I've been told, that's why its a maybe. I'm sticking with German, Russian and Italian for now. German because I hope to visit Germany, Austria and parts of Poland, Russian because I hope to visit Moscow and Italian because I hope to visit Italy and because I find it to be a beautiful language.

Dapper Pup

Stitched Ghost

That's what I've been told, that's why its a maybe. I'm sticking with German, Russian and Italian for now. German because I hope to visit Germany, Austria and parts of Poland, Russian because I hope to visit Moscow and Italian because I hope to visit Italy and because I find it to be a beautiful language.
User Image

I hope to maybe one day do a bit of traveling too.

Though even if I don't end up doing any of that, it would just be nice to understand what half the people I meet on various art sites are saying. orz
User Image
Salvete!

A Hetalia discussion thread? I'd be flattered if I could join (that is, I'd be flattered if I was permitted to merrily babble).

With that said, I'll explain why I like the series/how I got involved with the fandom/assorted other nonsense.
You know, if anyone actually cares to listen.

I do love my history (In other words: This is why started watching Hetalia). I will never have any qualms with those who found an interest in history because of Hetalia. Though I testify against "I learned everything I know about history from Hetalia," I believe it's entirely fair to have it act as a catalyst for further research into a particular topic. And, I thoroughly believe, it makes certain aspects of history easier to remember. For my own example, during my Junior year of high school, I took an AP US History course. To be plain, I utterly loved that class (US history is my favorite, after all). However, earlier in the year, we were discussing Colonial America. Consequently, the European wars were also discussed.....sort of. The Seven Years War/The French and Indian War was covered well, but everything else was thrown into a little box. And little charts/boxes, lest they contain tomato box fairies, tend to make learning more difficult (they may be good for short term memorization, but they are hardly beneficial towards long-term remembrance).
TL;DR: I could have REALLY used the Hetalia explanation for the War of Austrian Succession. Remembering the opponents/adversaries is much easier in Hetalia terms than the rote memorization of a list in a little box. POINT MADE. This is not to say that anyone should claim expertise after watching that clip, but it certainly would have helped for trivial multiple choice questions (which, when taken by APUSH standards, are not as easy as the usual A, B, C, D test).

...Uhhhh.... That was a long ramble. In any case, I loved/love history (though that's a blanket term, I suppose. I do have my favorite eras, as I earlier remarked) and I was capable of fangirling over it before Hetalia. So, when Hetalia came along, my reaction could be equated with "WHEREHAVEYOUBEENALLOFMYLIFE?"
....There may have also been the added benefits of hilarious racial stereotypes and gorgeous guys (and the fanservice of the webcomic) but, hey, I know I'm not alone in that boat. Tee-hee. USUK, anybody? /Shot

Which brings me to ask everyone here, does the diversity of the fanbase (especially when it comes to age) ever cease to amaze you? I attribute the causes to the bishounen, for the usual fangirls, the humor that could really appeal to most fans (stereotypes, namely), plus the added draw of "WHAT? HISTORY?" (which, to me, seems to be flaunted a lot by the fanbase--- and, of course, I can't criticize it for that. Most of my favorite series, if they aren't actually punning on history or taking it seriously, have that "historical" feel with their setting). It's just something that has been nagging at me. I'm the usual teenage fan, I have an eleven year old cousin who loves it, and my own mother wanted to switch seats with my father on a car trip because she wanted to watch Hetalia in the back seat.

So, yeah, strange world. Although, in the case of Hetalia, it's a really strange world. cool

@To answer the question of languages, it has (kind of) encouraged me to consider Italian. I'm in my fourth year of Latin so, to me, it would grammatically make sense (were I to further my repertoire of languages....which could really use an expansion) to choose a Romance language.
I'd like to visit a lot of places, but most of the places I'd like to visit aren't fond of foreigners, especially Americans... Which, really, is most of the world. emo *tries to hug world* LET ME LOVE YOU! gonk I might visit Latvia some day, just because I know someone there, so I can cling to her for protection. Ah, but since I go by Raivis (a Latvian name) now it could get awkward. Someone might think because of the name that I'm Latvian, and start talking to me, and I'd just be like " : D ... Nerunā latviski?" xp

@Esmeralda
In my particular cosplay group, our oldest member is early 30s, our youngest is, I think 14, maybe 13. Unless you count her sisters, then it's like, preschool (her parents won't let her hang out with us alone, so the whole family comes, and her sisters cosplay Belarus and Taiwan <3 ). So, yeah. Something for all ages!

Tipsy Fatcat

9,300 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Millionaire 200
Booberry Muffins
Woah woah woah AFW as in Anime Festival Wichita? Sorry for the random going off topic there but that is generally when I see it that's what I think. And, I didn't see any either if we are talking about the same convention (and I was there)

As for the series itself I used to be the biggest basher of the series. I hated the series. Why? The mother effin fanbase. Now, I get considered one of the rabid fangirls because oh mai gawd it's in my siggy and my twitter background FFFFFFF.

The series itself was meant as a satire. And to the person that said the webcomics are better. Thank you, I agree fully.

Now, I did go to Tokyo in Tulsa this year and saw some of those exact same RABID FRIGGEN FANS they were harassing poor Todd to say PASTA every two seconds. And, the nations were making out with eachother (one of the groups I saw) which is fine and dandy I have no problems with people being themselves. But, when they were harassing other Hetalia cosplayers/groups I kinda got grumpy. sad it really gives the intelligent watchers a bad reputation.

With that said, I'm an America fanwhore. (More along the lines of an Eric Vale fanwhore but this is another story....)

/sigh maybe someday when the next big uberbishie anime will come along people will forget the bad rep of Hetalia.

User ImageUser Image User Image

ah yes another kansan

yes i live in winfield and went to anime festival wichita

i'm not sure if i saw you there or not. the only day i attended was saturday and i barely stayed a few hours (plus i wasn't in cosplay and i spent the entire time talking to someone cosplaying john egbert but all in all it was still a good day)

we went to old town afterwards

Dapper Genius

8,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PASTA!!!!!! <3 Italy
Raivis of Riga

@Esmeralda
In my particular cosplay group, our oldest member is early 30s, our youngest is, I think 14, maybe 13. Unless you count her sisters, then it's like, preschool (her parents won't let her hang out with us alone, so the whole family comes, and her sisters cosplay Belarus and Taiwan <3 ). So, yeah. Something for all ages!

Ah, that's very neat!
I began ((and finished)) watching it about a month ago and fell in love. I'm very excited to see World Series and Paint It White. Can't wait!

And if my signature doesn't give it away, Germany is my favorite. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces