Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!
January 2008

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:28 pm
User Image

The Newspaper Staff would like to wish everyone a very Happy New Year!

What's new in the January 2008 issue?
- a Psychic Abilities article
- an Elements article
- a Mythical Creatures article
- a Reiki article

Coming in the February 2008 issue...
- a 'Letters to the Editors' section where our editors answer your biggest (or smallest) questions. If you have a question (on any subject) that you'd like to ask, please send a PM to Blessed_Scribe. Our editors are dark_angel_32189, Kareena80, and koudelkaW. You can also chose to have the questions answered by a certain editor if you'd like.

We're always looking to expand the newspaper, but we can't do that if we don't enough writers. If you're interested in becoming a writer for the newspaper, please go to this thread to get a copy of the application. You get paid for every article that you write, so it's worth it!

I hope you all enjoy this issue. Please remember to leave us some feedback so that we can make the newspaper even better!

Table of Contents
- Introduction
- Guild Happenings
- Members Section
- Psychic Abilities
- Crystals and Gemstones
- Elements
- Gods and Goddesses
- Kitchen Witches
- Mythical Creatures
- Meditation
- Reiki
- Spells
- Classified Ads
- Feedback Thread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:41 pm
User Image

First, I'd like to fill you in on all of the exciting things that happened in the guild during the month of December.

- On December 1st, the December issue of Blessed Be News was released.

- On December 2nd, LadySorcha was promoted to the crew!

- On December 3rd, Ciele Fu was promoted to the crew!

- On December 6th, we added a cook book to The Library subforum.

- On December 8th, the-jo87 won our guild lotto.

- On December 14th, we started our Yule/Litha party, where Nimue Ailinen won a December letter in our end of party raffle.

- On December 28th, too2sweet won our copy cat contest!

------

Coming in January:

- It's a new year and our guild has made a resolution to reach 50,000 posts by the end of the year. You all remember how big our 10k and 20k Post Parties were, right? Well this one will be much, much bigger than the both combined... but only if we reach the goal by December 31, 2008.

------

Coming in February:

- We're planning a Imbolc/Lammas party, so be on the lookout for that!

------

Some of the major topics going on in the guild right now include (but are certainly not limited to): Tele,Cyro,pyro,elektro,aqua -kinesis, Closet Witch: Causes Neglect?, and Astrology.

------

Want to learn something new? Then I have some great news! The Academy offers many wonderful guides, classes, and discussions that will help you greatly in learning something new! Some of our major classes include: Astrology, Pocky's Divinations Class, Wand Making, Thoughtful/Reflective Meditation, and many more! It's never too late to join, so head on over there now and join in on a few classes or discussions!

We're always looking for new teachers, too. So, if you'd like to teach a class or lesson, or maybe make a little guide for how to do something, please check out this thread. It's a paying job, so you benefit from doing it as well!

------

Do you have a spell or ritual that you'd like to share with other members? Or are you looking for a spell or ritual, or maybe a certain book title? Then The Library is the right place for you! In The Library, you can find a recommended books list, a spell writing service, acook book, and many spells and rituals.

------

Do you fancy some fun and games? Then, head on over to The Main Hall! Here you will find our many games, contests, and roleplays. Some of our big contests include: copy cat, poetry, dicey, and our guild lotto.

Our games include: What would you do if...?, would you rather...?, and corrupt wish game.

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:51 pm
User Image

We had a lot of people join our guild in December. We'd appreciate it if you could make them all feel welcome.

~Lil Lost Piper~, wmdkitty, sprite_of_the_shadows, belle419, [Green_Day_Pocky], Run_like_the_wind, Ariel Moose, WelkingPath, Jin-May, Abortion Clinic, Death Sworn, x_Yami_x, Ganeto s, FaelaStar, Ariyanne, Fire_eagle_trox, Xylofonix, Danienu, leowitch, Starlock, Raeyne, Lore Earthe, werewulf from hell, CrowNotAngelGRL, Deilusia, kannec, Odins Raven, artemis_riverwolf, Lanni Garver, Adams_rage, Hidden_In_The_Moon, Ultraviolett1127, CosmicCrystal, Araelyn_Riesa, Neko-samakun, kajido, amai, blood_drinker_20, dragoon_2004, Controller-Tamer, The 1K Fairy, Wraith_92, Trevs_Ree, - Bubble-Kisses -

------

January Birthdays:
January 1st - - dawnlupin and Claire Burmot
January 2nd - - kasai_angel
January 4th - - Phoenixfire Lune Soleil, and rikuizo
January 5th - - XxLesbianaXAngelxX
January 8th - - purplekitty and vampire_Kitty
January 9th - - Matthyboy and CosmicCrystal
January 11th - - Shadow_Kaiser55
January 13th - - CraftyCow and CCalvin
January 14th - - Sir Wolfgang Jones and yarrownick
January 15th - - Fallen Angel Kato Kitoma and Cannibelle
January 16th - - fallen_angel_216 and shaddowchild
January 22nd - - keltycphoenyx
January 23rd - - skullgrl
January 25th - - Lysdexic Lolerskate
January 26th - - Tazzy Wolfstar and fire_mistress_fuega
January 27th - - princess_neko123
January 31st - - agentofdemise, BloodyRain666, Decen Frost, and Sanutamar

If you'd like to be added to our birthday list, please click here.

------

For this month’s issue, I interviewed Choir-Angel.

Guild: Do you ever make any New Year's resolution? If so, are you ever able to keep them?
Choir-Angel: I used to make New Year's resolutions, but I ended up giving up on that. Because, no, I could never keep them. I used to could only keep up with them for maybe a week.

Guild: If you could recommend just one book on anything Pagan-related, which book would it be and why?
Scott Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. This book is FULL of useful information. If I ever have a question about which herbs are used for what, or what I should buy for a certain spell, I can just check this book and it'll give me the answers. It's my favorite out of all I own.

Guild: Do you have a favorite herb? If so, what is it and why?
My favorite herb would have to be rose. Rose is a very common plant, so it's always around if I need it. Rose also has about a million properties. It can be used for spells dealing with love, healing, confidence, psychic power, and even luck.

Guild: Do you have a favorite Crystal/Gemstone? If so, what is it and what do you use it for?
I'm not much of a crystal/gemstone type person. I've never been able to use them the way I can herbs, but I still have a favorite: Petrified Wood. I think this is only because its wood turned to rock, lol. I love petrified wood because of its protective and healing properties. I always keep some sitting out on my altar to ward off negative energies.

Guild: What's your opinion on Telekinesis, or any of the kinesis’?
I think we all have the ability, but it's very difficult to train and most people never do.

Guild: What is your element? Was it hard for you to figure out, or did it just come to you naturally? What do you like/dislike about your element?
My element is Earth. For a long while, I wasn't really sure what element I was. I was trying to decide between Earth, Fire, and Water. I didn't even consider Air, lol. Well, I started writing down the ways I act, things like honest, lazy, etc. and it helped me out a lot. I realized my main element is earth, and my second element is Water. Things I like about my main element are, I'm really down to earth, and dependable, but some of the things I dislike are I have a tendency to be lazy, materialistic, and stick to the rules to much.

Guild: Do you have an Animal Totem? If so, would you share with us what it is? How did you discover it?
If I do have an animal totem, I've no clue what it is. I've never really tried to find out either, though I might have to sometime, I'm starting to get curious.

Guild: How would you let your friends & family know you are Pagan? If you have been raised Pagan, how do you tell potential boy/girl friends or schoolmates etc?
With my mom, I just told her. She finds it interesting and likes hearing my opinion on things. With my friends, I don't find the need to tell them unless they're close friends of mine, and usually they then don't mind at all, several of them are actually interested in Paganism themselves. As for telling potential boy/girl friends and schoolmates, I guess I'd just wait until the subject comes up. I've never really had a big conversation on it though.

Guild: What is your favorite altar tool? Did you make most of your altar items or purchase them?
My favorite altar tool would have to be my bell. I buy most of my altar items because I'm not very good at making things. But even though I buy them, I always take the time to make sure they fit me perfectly and aren't just mass produced items.

Guild: Do you have a favorite online Pagan store? If so, what is it?
No, I don't really know of many online Pagan stores, and even if I did I couldn't order from them because I have no credit card, shame though, it'd make shopping much easier.

Guild: Coven Witches and Solitary Witches... what is your opinion on this?
I think they're both equally great. In a Coven, you have help with the things you'd like to learn, they're like a family and there for you when you need them. But when you're a Solitary Witch, you find help where you can, and learn everything on your own (mostly), you're free to believe what you want and discard the rest if you'd like.

------

We have a lot of very talented, creative members in the guild. This is their spotlight!

Funeral by: Arthela

Flowers all around me
People crying surround me
I don’t understand why they are crying
Yet so am I
Tears of red pour from my eyes I look around to try and understand
It takes my breath away
To see a coffin beside me
I wonder whose could it be
I look inside to see it’s me

Want your artwork (drawings, poetry, photography, etc) to be featured here? Then, contact dark_angel_32189 (Maggie) for more details.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:52 pm
User Image

Telepathy
By EdanaDesmond

User Image

User ImageTelepathy is in itself considered by many to be an interesting science. Many men have called this a through back to when cave men walked this earth that it was needed for them to survive. But there are so many types of telepathy that I can’t see how all of them were used to make the life of a cave man any easier than it is for humans of the modern day. On another aspect, some believe that this is an evolution in humans that stem from the supposed sixth sense.

Telepathy is a form of extra-sensory perception. A type of paranormal ability that falls directly in the path of the mind's ability to move outside the so called 'box' that society has created for itself. The ability to focus a mind, like fine tuning a string on a guitar or piano, is an amazing task that few can truly do with the efficiency of an office manager.

The study of the mind's ability and the term 'telepathy' came about when a man by the name of Fredric W. H. Myers coined the term in 1882. The meaning came from the Greek words 'Tele', meaning “Distance”, and 'Pathe', which means “occurrence or feeling.” After this word was made, a study began to prove that the human mind could be used to contact or send messages. This started when mesmerism came into play. The magnetists discovered that magnetized subjects read the thoughts of the magnetists and carried out their wishes. The deep study of the mind came about in 1884 when the American Society for Psychical Research came into play. The first test they used was an interesting one. They would separate sender and receiver into different rooms, blind and deafen them, and would tell the sender to send an image, thought or even a smell to the noted receiver. Another test that was used during the Apollo 14 mission into space was when astronaut Edgar Mitchell helped conduct the experiment. Four random people were picked to try to receive visual images Mitchell would send. During the course of this time 200 sequences were sent and the mean chance was set at forty. Two of the people who participated received and confirmed 51 out of 200 sequences.

Most telepathy occurs spontaneously usually when a family member is harmed or a friend is injured. This is also related to the fact that most telepaths are affected by their own emotions and the emotions of others. The ability of a telepath is also affected by their surroundings such as food, blood levels and drug intake. All of these are bad if low and amazingly caffeine had a positive effect.

------

Sources:
http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/t/telepathy.html

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:04 pm
User Image

Birth Stones
By Ciele Fu

The idea of birthstones originally came from the Jews, with the twelve stones representing the tribes of Israel. They later became associated with the twelve months and the zodiac. The crystals used vary according to source, and have changed slightly since biblical times, but the idea and qualities remain similar.

Our modern birth crystals were all well known for their appearance as high quality stones, for their ability to make beautiful jewelry, and as such are expensive in the form we usually think of them - but when raw they are far cheaper. I have acquired garnet, emerald and topaz for £1.50, and ruby, sapphire and opal for around £4.

Would your birthstone work especially well for you? What if your sun sign stone and birthstone is different? Would something that's been bastardized over thousands of years really make a difference? Everything's worth a try, and experience is one of the most valuable things you can get.

I haven't worked with a couple of these stones, so I apologize for what's written blindly out of books. (Has anyone got peridot lying around? Or a spare diamond?)

January - Garnet
User ImageA stone of passion and confidence. Connecting to your primal instincts of survival in tough times. It is also said to attract love, which is supposed to be followed by procreation as our animal within tells us we should do. Even if that doesn't apply, it still works. To sum it up bluntly, it's a stone of good, healthy sex.

February - Amethyst
User ImageYou've already seen this in the Nov '07 issue; it's a calming stone that encourages and enhances spiritual gifts and workings.

March - Aquamarine
User ImageCalms emotions, sharpens intuition and helps with communication. In short, it encourages the positive aspects of the water element with which it is connected, made slightly obvious in its name.

April - Diamond
User ImageDiamond is similar in its workings to clear quartz - it amplifies the effects of other crystals it is with. As a symbol of wealth, it also attracts it.

May - Emerald
User ImageEmerald is also a stone of love, but with a focus on companionship and loyalty rather than the passion that garnet provides. It encourages the same qualities in platonic love and friendship. It is also supposed to promote foresight and clairvoyance.

June - Pearl
User ImageTechnically not a crystal, it's placed among them for its beauty. Like aquamarine, it's an emotionally calming gem which allows you to relax and connect to your intuition, creating an ideal mindset for meditation and general magical workings. It's also a symbol of femininity.

July - Ruby
User ImageRuby is highly energetic and provides motivation and courage where needed. Traditionally used to ward off vampires, it works against the psychic sort - whether it repels them or simply replenishes the energy, it's certainly effective.

August - Peridot
User ImagePeridot holds the 'power of light from the sun' to drive away or cleanse unwanted negative energy, to ease jealousy, spite and anger. It encourages turning over a new leaf and a positive attitude.

September - Sapphire
User ImageThis is a spiritual stone, with a particular focus on connecting with a higher power, deity or angels. In Catholicism, the cardinal's ring would have a sapphire set in it as a symbol of their faith and devotion. Of course your deities may prefer another stone, but sapphire is a good place to start.

October - Opal
User ImageOpal is a creative and inspiring stone, and helps with artistic and emotional blocks. It is said to be a stone of bad luck to anyone except those born in this month - but I've never come across that, and I'm July born. Forced superstition I believe, as opal is very difficult to cut. There is a cheaper but absolutely beautiful imitation called opalite that also works well.

November - Topaz
User ImagePromotes happiness and encourages the sharing of it, multiplying it many times over. It attracts wealth - which will also end up being shared. In many ways it is similar to citrine in its effects, especially in its gold/yellow form.

December - Turquoise
User ImageTurquoise is protective physically, mentally and spiritually, and strengthens the immune system, making it a good all-round healer. Genuine turquoise is actually very hard to find, and much of what is being sold in shops is dyed howlite or magnesite.

------

Sources:
"The Crystal Bible" by Judy Hall
"The Magic of Precious Stones" by Mellie Uyldert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:09 pm
User Image

The Four Elements
By Starlock

The four elements are a motif that has been used throughout the ages. Their conception was documented to originate in ancient Greece with the philosophers attempts to explain the nature of the reality around them. From there they have been used in the secret art of alchemy, picked up by occultists in the later centuries and persisted to the modern day in both popular culture and modern magical practice. There are few ideas in history that can be said to have lasted as long as that of the four elements. Something about them enchants us even today in an age where their original purpose is seen as unneeded with the advancements of science.

A thorough study of the history of the four elements could easily be the subject of a lifetime’s research, particularly when widened beyond the Greek classical motif. Here I will present some information I have gathered thus far in my own search of understanding. I started off on this journey by asking a simple question about the correspondence tables so commonly published in modern metaphysical texts: why? Why this way and not some other way? Most correspondence tables, unfortunately, neither cite their sources nor their reasons for being the way they are. While there's something to be said for intuitive discovery, there's also something to be said for going back to the primary sources and doing your research. I'll try to combine both of these together in each article so there's a little something for both persuasions. whee

The Greek History (Part I)

At this time, I am not sure where precisely the idea of the four elements, Air, Fire, Earth, and Water, originated. They may very well stem to pre-written history. It may be they were conceived in the Pagan mythologies of ancient Greece. Here the discussion will be limited to the use of the four in Greek philosophy since that is where my research has been focused thus far. First it is important to remember what the elements were designed to explain. The quest was for the arche, or the substance out of which all else comes. Early Greek philosophers had conflicting ideas about this primal substance and knowing a bit about them can teach us some interesting lore about the Four.

Before Empedocles: The Battle for the Arche

Okay. So I'm overdramaticizing a bit by calling it a battle. Each of the four at some point was designated as arche for different reasons.

Thales first proposed the element of Water as arche. His conclusion may well have been inspired by Egypt as there is evidence he traveled there and in Egypt, water is the source. Thales also believed that Earth itself rested upon Water or arose from Water in some way. From there we really aren’t sure what he believed. Does that primordial Water still exist or is it some hidden guiding force of the present? What is known is that he held views which a Neopagan might call Animistic, or felt things to be ensouled.

Anaximander made break from Thales and proposed that none of the four elements were arche but a substance called aperion. Since the primary elements were composed of pairs of opposites he felt the originating substance had to somehow be between or transcend these dualities. These opposites arose from aperion which in itself was infinite.

Anaximenes returned to the elements and proposed Air as arche. This philosopher had some pretty strong feelings about Air being the breath of life, the divine source, and he too shared what a Neopagan might call Animistic sentiment. From Air things were derived via condensation and rarefaction. When Air was rarefied or made finer, it became fire. When Air was condensed or made thicker, it became first wind, then clouds, next water, earth, and finally stones.

Xenophanes is quoted as saying “from Earth come all things, and all things end in Earth” suggesting he may have found Earth to be arche. This may not truly be the case but there is little documentation of what this philosopher may have thought was the prime substance.

Heraclitus proposed Fire as the arche. He likens the soul to Fire, and the dryness of Fire to divine reason. Fire condenses to become Water, and Water to Earth and Fire lives on the death of Air. He understood that the power of Fire, that which differentiates and allows for the individual soul, while ‘warlike’ and a creator of strife, is needed for the existence of the cosmos.

Parmenides has less to say directly on the elements in terms of cosmology; he saw instead the base pair as the dualistic duo of Light and Night. Light is considered hot, rare and is associated with Fire while Night was cold, dense, heavy and associated with Earth. His influence on Empedocles was notable, though.

As we can see, there were a wide range of ideas on which element was the prime substance out of which everything else came. Another philosopher came along after these guys who proposed that no one element alone was arche. We'll wait until next week to see what this guy named Empedocles came up with!

------

Principal Sources
**Essays in Ancient Greek Philosophy. Edited by John P. Anton with George L. Kustas. State University of New York Press: Albany, 1971.
**Freeman, Kathleen. The Pre-Socratic Philosophers. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1959.
Allen, Reginald E. Greek Philosophy: Thales to Aristotle. The Free Press: New York, 1966.
**Kirk, G.S. and J.E Raven. The Presocratic Philosophers: A Critical History with a Selection of Texts. Cambridge Universit Press: New York, 1960.
**A History of Greek Philosophy: Volume I. W.K.C. Guthrie, F.B.A. Cambrige University Press: London, 1962.
**A History of Greek Philosophy: Volume II. W.K.C. Guthrie, F.B.A. Cambrige University Press: London, 1965.

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:15 pm
User Image

Aphrodite and Hephaestus
By dark_angel_32189

User Image

Aphrodite is one of the twelve Olympian gods in Greek Mythology. She is the equivalent to Inanna to the Sumerians, Astarte to the Syro-Palestinians, Turan to the Etruscans, and Venus to the Romans. She is the Goddess of love, beauty, the joy of physical love, sensuality, passion, generosity, all forms of partnerships and relationships, affection, fertility, continued creation, and renewal. She is often depicted as being a beautiful, volumptuos woman with blue eyes and fair hair. The love of women, in any form, was very sacred to her.

There are several stories of how she was born. One of the more common ones that is told is that she was "foam-born". It is said that she was born near Paphos, Cyprus after Cronos cut off Uranus' testicles and threw them into the sea. It is said that after a long length in time a white foam started to form from the immortal flesh, bringing the birth of a girl, later to be known as Aphrodite.

Aphrodite was unhappily married to Hephaestus and was frequently unfaithful to him. She often sought out the companionship of Ares (Hephaestus' brother) and Adonis, as well as many other mortal and divine lovers. Thanks to Zeus' ruling, Aphrodite had to share Adonis with Persephone. Adonis was ruled to spend one-third of the year by himself, another third with Persephone, and the remaining third with Aphrodite.

Symbols: Heron, loverbird, swan, dove, her girdle, cockle shells, poppy, rose, golden apples, sweet fragrances and fruits, and pomegranate.

User Image

Hephaestus (equivalent to Vulcan to the Romans) was a magician of metal and gems for the Olympians. Some of the things he made include a scepter and aegis for Zeus, and armor for Achilles and Memnon. It is believed that his workshops were located under the Earth in places such as Mount Etna in Sicily, and Mount Mosychlos, which was the place that was most sacred to him. Due to the large number of pottery-makers and metal-workers in Athens a festival called Chalkeia was held in October to honor him. He is often depicted with having broad shoulders and wearing a leather apron while leaning on a great staff. He is the God of blacksmiths, metalworkers, thunder, lightning, fire, subterranean fires, volcanoes, industry, artisans, craftsmen, jewelry making, mechanics, micro electronics, manual dexterity, hard work, inventiveness, all creative crafts, engineering, and building construction.

------

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphrodite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus
"Magick of the Gods and Goddesses" by D.J. Conway
"Goddesses in World Mythology" by Martha Ann and Dorothy Myers Imel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:17 pm
User Image

Recipes That Call for Garlic
By Rainbow_Flavoured_Pocky

SHRIMP SCAMPI WITH GARLIC

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (about 16 to 24)
    1/3 cup clarified butter
    4 tablespoons minced garlic
    6 green onions, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh if possible
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions:
Rinse shrimp and set aside. Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic 1 or 2 minutes or until softened but not browned. Add shrimp, green onions, wine and lemon juice; cook until shrimp are pink and firm, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Do not overcook. Add chopped parsley and salt and pepper before serving. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley sprigs if desired.

Makes 8 servings.

------------------------------

GARLIC BREAD

The size of your baguette* will determine how much butter and garlic you'll use. Use roughly one head of garlic for each stick of butter.

Ingredients:
    1 loaf artisan French bread or wide baguette
    1 - 2 heads of garlic
    1 - 2 sticks of unsalted butter
    1 bunch of chives (optional)
    zest* of one lemon (optional)

Instructions:
Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
Mince the garlic, and add it to the melted butter.
Slice the bread down the middle, and take a basting or pastry brush and brush the garlic butter across the bread generously, using all of it.
Bake at 350˚ for 5-10 minutes, and then brown it under the broiler for a minute or two.
Sprinkle the lemon zest and chives, if desired, then slice and serve.

------------------------------

*A baguette (pronounced ba-get) is a variety of bread distinguishable by its much greater length than width, and noted for its very crispy crust. A standard baguette is five or six centimeters wide and three or four centimeters tall, but can be up to a meter in length.

*Zest is the outer, colorful skin of citrus fruit. It is often used to add strong flavor to foods, such as lemon meringue pie, sorbets and salads.
To remove the zest, a zester, vegetable peeler, paring knife, or even a wood rasp is used to scrape the colored part of the peel off. The white membrane under the zest (pith or mesocarp) is unpleasantly bitter and generally avoided by limiting the peeling depth. The white membrane can be used for cooking when the entire thickness of the peel is candied; however, this is not considered zest.

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:18 pm
User Image

Ladon the Dragon
By Arthela

User Image

Ladon was a dragon with a hundred heads, who guarded Hera’s golden apples in the Garden of Hesperides. He was also known as Ismenos. After Hercules slew him, he was placed in the sky as the constellation “Serpent” or “Draco”. It is said that Ladon was the child of Mother Earth herself. Ladon’s hundred heads never slept and the 200 eyes were always roaming over the garden keeping watch. Each of his heads had a different voice and jaws lined with teeth sharp as knives. Ladon’s serpentine body had a grip so tight that no mortal could pry him off. He tortured his victims by squeezing the life out of them, slowly suffocating them in his coils. His tail was thick and can fatally lash anyone stupid enough to get near it.

------

Sources:
http://www.theserenedragon.net/Tales/greece-ladon.html
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/l/ladon.html
"Dragons" by an unknown author

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:22 pm
User Image

Meditation
By too2sweet

Meditation...for some it is an occasional indulgence, for others it is a life-long practice that guides their daily lives. However you choose, it is an excellent practice to learn. Meditation can be used in many ways - such as: relaxation, gaining insight into ourselves, making difficult decisions, answering questions, healing and accessing other planes of consciousness. For some people meditation is easy, while others may find it difficult. It requires inner calmness, discipline and often the ability to visualize, but as with any other thing in life, the more you practice the easier it becomes. Mediation can be as simple as sitting in a comfy chair, clearing your mind and relaxing in quiet contemplation, or it can be a guided meditation used for a specific purpose. Both can be equally effective. When preparing to meditate, I find it helpful to create a peaceful, relaxing environment. Light some candles, play soft music - instrumental only (no lyrics), burn incense and most importantly be comfortable. It will be almost impossible to remain in a meditative state if you are uncomfortable.

The following is a meditation you can use to help clear any blockages that may be present in your chakras. Your chakras are energy centers in your body that correspond to certain aspect of our physical/mental health. When these centers are blocked illness can occur. There are 7 major chakras centers in the body. Each one has its own color and its own purpose (the following is a general list of associations, more details can be found at this link)

1. Base (or perineum chakra), its color is red. It controls the legs, feet, bones, large intestine, and adrenal glands.
2. Sacral, its color is orange. It controls the reproductive system, kidneys and lower back.
3. Solar plexus (or stomach chakra), its color is yellow. It controls the digestive system, liver and gall bladder.
4. Heart, its color is green. It controls the lungs, heart, circulatory system, arms and hands.
5. Throat, its color is blue. It controls the throat, ears, mouth, shoulders and neck.
6. Brow, its color is indigo. It controls the eyes, base of the skull and the brow.
7. Crown, its color is violet. It controls the central nervous system and cerebral cortex.

User Image

Quote:
When you are ready - begin:
Sit/lay down in a comfortable position. Close your eyes. Remember to take slow, deep breaths,

Breathe in, and breathe out, and in again. Notice the endless cycle: breathing in, and breathing out, and in again. And with every breath that you let out, breathe out all of your stress, your cares, your concerns and your worries. And breathe in the calm, the peaceful, the relaxation. Breathe out all the negative, dark energies that have been dragging you down. And breathe in the positive light. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in; and fill your body with warm glowing light. Feel your body completely relax as you let all your stress drift away. Take a few moments and simply breathe

When you are ready, imagine your body. And on your body there are 7 circles. Each one is an energy center (or a sub-station) that allows the life energy that is in all of us to flow freely through the body. Stop now for a moment and look at the big picture. Take a quick snapshot and note what is happening in each circle. When all is well, each one should be bright - with energy swirling and rotating as it flows through. Note any that seem dark, or any that are blocked or seem sluggish. Take a few moments and observe yourself. Attune yourself to the energy flow within your body.

When you are ready imagine a pure white light flowing up from the ground and flowing into your body through your feet. This is a warm, healing light - one which brings positive energies into the body and helps to clear out any blockages that you may have. When you are ready, the white light moves up your legs and into your first chakra - your base. Pause for a few moments until the energy has merged and the chakra point is rotating and bright. When you are ready, the white light moves up to your sacral chakra. Pause here until the energy has merged and the chakra point is rotating and bright. When you are ready, the white light moves up to your solar plexus chakra. Pause here until the energy has merged and the chakra point is rotating and bright. When you are ready, the white light moves up to your heart chakra. Pause here until the energy has merged and the chakra point is rotating and bright. When you are ready, the white light moves up to your throat chakra. Pause here until the energy has merged and the chakra point is rotating and bright. When you are ready the white light moves up to your brow chakra. Pause here until the energy has merged and the chakra point is rotating and bright. When you are ready the white light moves up to your crown chakra. Pause here until the energy has merged and the chakra point is rotating and bright. When you are ready the white light flows out of the top of your head like a fountain and its pure healing light rains down on your body and then flows back into the earth. Take a few moments now and observe yourself again. Notice how the energy in each chakra is flowing more freely. How each is bright with color and rotating with the energy that is swirling through your body. When you are ready you may open your eyes feeling recharged and refreshed.

You can use this meditation any time you need to recharge. If you have specific chakras that have strong blockages, it can take several "recharges" before it will become completely unblocked and you may need to pause at those chakra points for a little longer before the energy will begin to flow through the blockage.

------

Sources:
Wheels of Light by Anodea Judith, PhD
http://www.sacredcenters.com/chakras.html

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:25 pm
Reiki: An Introduction
Written by too2sweet.

Reiki (pronounced rey-key) is a Japanese technique used for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It was developed by Dr. Mikao Usui in the early 1900's, while he was on a spiritual retreat at a Buddhist Temple. Reiki was different from the other healing methods that Usui had studied in the past, because all of the previous methods required the practitioner to use his/her own energy force to provide the healing energy. This often left the practitioner completely drained, often not able to do anything else for days (or longer). With Reiki one has only to access the life energy that surrounds every living thing in order to promote healing. The obvious benefit is that you can do Reiki as often as you want, without depleating your own energy. Dr. Usui spent most of the rest of his life helping others through the use of Reiki. He established a clinic and eventually taught Reiki to others all over the world.

So how does Reiki work?
It involves the gentle manipulation of the energies in and around a person’s body through touch - either direct hand to body touch, or placing the hands just above the area (more advanced practitioners can also do distance Reiki). It is a simple but powerful technique that can be learned by anyone. The word Reiki comes from two Japanese words: 'Rei', which means "universal" or "higher power" and 'Ki', which means "life force energy". What makes Reiki different from other healing methods is the way that a person gains the ability to do Reiki. Specifically the ability is transferred to the student through an attunement process. This attunement allows a person to access the universal energy flow that is all around us, and use that energy to help ourselves and others. Receiving a Reiki treatment from an attuned practitioner is a peaceful relaxing experience - like a warm radiance flowing through your body. Reiki has been effective in helping almost any illness or injury and while it is not an "instant cure", it often speeds up the healing process - so that we feel better faster. Reiki is always beneficial (it can never cause harm) and will always go to where it is needed most in the body. There are no contra-indications or "side-effects", so it can be used in addition to other treatment methods to enhance healing. Reiki works not only directly on our physical body, but indirectly with our chakra system as well. Chakras are energy centers in the body and each one corresponds to a certain aspect of our physical/mental health. When our chakras become blocked or sluggish, illness can occur. Reiki helps to clear those blockages by "flushing" out the negative energies and replacing it with positive - thus allowing us to feel better.

User Image

Reiki Ideals (short version w/Japanese pronunciations)
* Just for today...Kyo dake wa
* Don't get angry...Okolu-na
* Don't worry...Shinpai suna
* Be grateful...Kansha shite
* Work hard...Goo hage me
* Be kind to others...Hito ni shinsetsu

------

Resources:
"The Reiki News" - Summer 2002 by the Internation Center for Reiki Training
"Reiki: The Healing Touch" by William Lee Rand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:31 pm
User Image

Spells
By Caity-Chan

For the New Year, I'm giving you some prosperity spells:

Tree Spell

This spell brings prosperity.

Ingredients:
3 bright green tree leaves
A bowl filled with water.

Actions: You float the leaves on the water. After saying the words, pour them onto the ground.

Say the following:
Leaves of green I offer thee
I say this three times three
With luck and the hope of change
I send good energy vibrations to me.

------

Luck And Money Spell

This spell will attract money or luck, depending on how it's used.

Ingredients for money spell:
Five old coins.

Ingredients for luck spell:
A handful of grass or clovers
A green ribbon.

Actions:
While you chant, hold the coins/clover in your hand. If you're doing the money spell, then put the coins into an empty drawer to keep separate from other
things. If you're doing the luck spell, then tie the clover/grass with a green ribbon and bury near a tree.

Say the following:
I call prosperity from the earth
Hands open and mind accepting
I call prosperity from the sky
I call prosperity from the ocean
I call prosperity from the world

------

Empty Jar Spell

This is for when you have a hard time at home or with your life in general.

Ingredients:
A jar
Dirt
A flower (cut the stem and roots off so all that's left is the "head" of the flower)

Say the following:
Earth, air, water, fire
Feel the burn, feel my desire
Earth, fire, water, air
I call luck here
Earth, air, fire, water
Keep the eyes on my fight
Water, air, fire, earth
I warm myself by the hearth.
End my pain
End my pain

After you say those words pour the dirt in the jar. Then, place the flower in the jar. Keep the jar in an outside corner.

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:02 pm
User Image

This is the spot where you can advertise just about anything you want.

Want a mentor? Want to advertise your quest? Do you want to advertise something you're trying to sell? Or maybe you're looking for a mentor.

Whatever it may be, this is the place to do it!

It's completely free. All you have to do is send a PM to me, Blessed_Scribe, with your ad and which months issue you'd like it to be in. It can be as many months as you'd like, not just one.

The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games