No 0.17908359566282 17.9% [ 512 ]
Total Votes:[ 2859 ]

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
xBubbleTea13
There's a girl at my school who cuts her arms a lot when she's stressed. Everyone sees it at school. It's bad. I try to tell her it's not the answer, but she says the pain from the cuts let her mind wander away from the pain of stress. It's sad how she hurts herself.
I don't harm myself. I cut my walls when I'm really stressed. Or just excerise.

While it is an honorable thing for you to help the girl, it should be noted that not everyone is ready to stop harming themselves. If you do want to take this a step further in helping your classmate, you can speak to your principal, teacher, nurse, school psychologist, etc. and they will be able to handle it from there.

In addition to this, if the classmate comes to you for advice, be polite. Do not attack her, and if you don't know what you say or do, that is okay. Listening can a wonderful thing to do, and sometimes that is all a person needs.
Hey y'all, so a while back I was stupid and carved up my leg pretty good and now I have scars that are visible close up when I'm in shorts. They really suck, I'm past that part of my life now and I would very much like them to go away. A couple people have spotted them besides my family and it's just a very awkward moment...

Scar help anyone? lol

Dapper Poster

Hi everyone, I'm Zlae.

I used to obsessively burn my arms with friction by vigorously rubbing my arm until the skin was shed off. Disgusting, I know.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if you know of anyone else that used to burn their arms (or still does) as I'm honestly curious.

I've never cut, probably never will. I tend to find satisfaction in biting my knuckles extremely hard.

My thoughts go out to all of you; I had a best friend that used to cut. I wish you all the best and hope that things turn out for the better.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Silversan
Also, I can't believe you are almost eighteen. eek

Dude. I was thinking the same thing when I read that. Our little Bethany is growing up cry

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Swashbuckles
Hey y'all, so a while back I was stupid and carved up my leg pretty good and now I have scars that are visible close up when I'm in shorts. They really suck, I'm past that part of my life now and I would very much like them to go away. A couple people have spotted them besides my family and it's just a very awkward moment...

Scar help anyone? lol

Considering the nature of the thread, it'd be surprising to find someone here who DOESN'T have a scar of some kind from harming. I know I still have several, but I love 'em all.

Vitamin E, cocoa butter, and a product called Bio Oil all work tremendously for scars (and stretch marks too). I would highly recommend Bio Oil. I have not used it for scars (as I've said here many times, I take pride in mine) but it really did wonders for my stretch marks.

Zlae
Hi everyone, I'm Zlae.

I used to obsessively burn my arms with friction by vigorously rubbing my arm until the skin was shed off. Disgusting, I know.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if you know of anyone else that used to burn their arms (or still does) as I'm honestly curious.

I've never cut, probably never will. I tend to find satisfaction in biting my knuckles extremely hard.

My thoughts go out to all of you; I had a best friend that used to cut. I wish you all the best and hope that things turn out for the better.

Hey there! Nice to meet you.

I am not sure as to their activity, but there have been MANY people who burn themselves here, both regulars and passers-by. It is a very common form of self injury.
summer1412
Considering the nature of the thread, it'd be surprising to find someone here who DOESN'T have a scar of some kind from harming. I know I still have several, but I love 'em all.

Vitamin E, cocoa butter, and a product called Bio Oil all work tremendously for scars (and stretch marks too). I would highly recommend Bio Oil. I have not used it for scars (as I've said here many times, I take pride in mine) but it really did wonders for my stretch marks.

Scars I get in battle I'm super proud of, like this one on my arm when I tore it open on a metal fence. But the ones I made myself just serve as a nasty reminder, so I'd like them gone.

Thank you! I'll start with cocoa butter since that's my favorite <3

Dapper Poster

summer1412
Zlae
Hi everyone, I'm Zlae.

Hey there! Nice to meet you.

I am not sure as to their activity, but there have been MANY people who burn themselves here, both regulars and passers-by. It is a very common form of self injury.
You too!

Oh, wow. I had never thought that so many burnt themselves. That's a nice little revelation; I thought I was extremely strange compared to 'everyone else'.

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
Hi everyone.

Warning: This could be triggering to some of you lovely people. Please read with caution. heart

My name is Rosa, and as you may have guessed, I'm coming to this thread because I've been a self-harmer for a while now. I've been depressed for six years, ever since I was eleven or maybe even younger? I've had three suicide attempts to date. I've gotten by using a razor to slice my wrists, legs, and predominately upper thighs. I can probably fill buckets with all the self-inflicted blood I've shed. I hate the pain, ironically enough. Seeing the blood and the scars is what gives me incredible satisfaction.

It's odd because nobody in my family is depressed, and there is no history of depression whatsoever. I'm terrified to have children because god forbid I pass down this horrific gene to them? xp

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Swashbuckles
Scars I get in battle I'm super proud of, like this one on my arm when I tore it open on a metal fence. But the ones I made myself just serve as a nasty reminder, so I'd like them gone.

Thank you! I'll start with cocoa butter since that's my favorite <3

See, I'm the total opposite. I get annoyed with scars I get from work or other stuff like that. But my injury scars are comforting to me. They ARE a reminder, and I think that's why I love them so much. They remind me of a place in my life that I will never return to, and the struggles that I have overcome.

With the cocoa butter, I'd suggest rubbing it on the desired scar twice daily. You probably won't notice much of a difference with just the cocoa butter but it will keep your skin texture consistent and it'll soften the scar tissue so at least if you try something else the skin will already be healthy enough. You know what I mean?

Zlae
You too!

Oh, wow. I had never thought that so many burnt themselves. That's a nice little revelation; I thought I was extremely strange compared to 'everyone else'.

Nope. Burning is extremely common, whether from friction, fire, or chemicals. While perhaps not the MOST common, it still is done quite frequently, alone or in combination with other harming methods. Though, I've noticed people pick one type of harm and stick with it. I was a scratcher, myself.

Rosalindia
Hi everyone.

Warning: This could be triggering to some of you lovely people. Please read with caution. heart

My name is Rosa, and as you may have guessed, I'm coming to this thread because I've been a self-harmer for a while now. I've been depressed for six years, ever since I was eleven or maybe even younger? I've had three suicide attempts to date. I've gotten by using a razor to slice my wrists, legs, and predominately upper thighs. I can probably fill buckets with all the self-inflicted blood I've shed. I hate the pain, ironically enough. Seeing the blood and the scars is what gives me incredible satisfaction.

It's odd because nobody in my family is depressed, and there is no history of depression whatsoever. I'm terrified to have children because god forbid I pass down this horrific gene to them? xp

Hi Rosa, nice to meet you.
Thank you for being considerate and warning us about any possibly triggering content. That was very nice. I didn't find your post triggering in any way, but I thank you nonetheless. There are people here who may be a little bit more sensitive to that sort of thing than I am.

You mentioned that no one in your family is depressed that you know of. Do you cut because you are depressed, or do you notice it is more out of anxiety? Just curious.

Also, while there has been a suggested hereditary link to depression and chemical imbalances in the brain, there are also other elements at play. Diet can effect your mood quite drastically, as well as hormones and other things like that. I'm assuming you are about 17, based on how long you said you've been dealing with this. At that age, hormones are still going insane, so that may be causing some of the chemical imbalances as well. These things are said to level out at about 25-27 years old.
Another HUGE factor in depression and bipolar disorder (among many, many, many others) is definitely environment as well. Family stress, animosity among housemates and other socially stressful situations can cause a lot of anxiety.
If I were you, I would not worry about passing anything down to your children. If there was a family history, that would be one thing, but since there isn't, it probably is just a combination of things giving you these feelings. So long as you provide a healthy starting point for your future children, there should be no need to worry. =)

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
summer1412

Rosalindia
Hi everyone.

Hi Rosa, nice to meet you.
Thank you for being considerate and warning us about any possibly triggering content. That was very nice. I didn't find your post triggering in any way, but I thank you nonetheless. There are people here who may be a little bit more sensitive to that sort of thing than I am.

You mentioned that no one in your family is depressed that you know of. Do you cut because you are depressed, or do you notice it is more out of anxiety? Just curious.

Also, while there has been a suggested hereditary link to depression and chemical imbalances in the brain, there are also other elements at play. Diet can effect your mood quite drastically, as well as hormones and other things like that. I'm assuming you are about 17, based on how long you said you've been dealing with this. At that age, hormones are still going insane, so that may be causing some of the chemical imbalances as well. These things are said to level out at about 25-27 years old.
Another HUGE factor in depression and bipolar disorder (among many, many, many others) is definitely environment as well. Family stress, animosity among housemates and other socially stressful situations can cause a lot of anxiety.
If I were you, I would not worry about passing anything down to your children. If there was a family history, that would be one thing, but since there isn't, it probably is just a combination of things giving you these feelings. So long as you provide a healthy starting point for your future children, there should be no need to worry. =)

Hi Summer biggrin my pleasure. I've found that there are so many different things that can be triggering to people. Everyone's different. So I like to be safe, you know? smile I'm pretty unaffected by triggers so we're in the same boat there. And to answer your question..... For a while I didn't know. I thought I was depressed because I'm not an anxious person generally, but when my doctor put me on Xanax and it had zero effect, I realized that anxiety definitely wasn't the problem. Depression was. I'm just a sad person.

You guessed it - I'm 17! Turning 18 in June. I was first hospitalized for suicidal ideation when I was 11. I have VERY over active hormones which have led to me having a high sex drive 4laugh so I'm hoping you're right. Hmmm...I was bullied a lot when I was younger and the problem was mostly ignored, so I lashed out and lied to bring attention to myself. I'm ashamed of what I did and now I know so much better. My dad and I have a bad relationship...he's favored my brother ever since he was born. Openly. He yells, criticizes, and the like.

Inquisitor

19,975 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Hello everyone, I was hoping to find some help here, for my friend.
She's been self-harming for about two years now, but it's never been too serious, just a few scratches now and then. For the most part, she was still her lovely, cheerful self.
Now, about a month or two ago, she started again, but worse this time. She had to wear sweatbands to hide the cuts in P.E. Around the same time, she started being very surly and shut-off, and began not paying attention in lessons and not doing her assignments and homework.
She'd been having boyfriend troubles for about three months, and recently broke up with him last weekend. She was not in school today.
I'm really worried about her. I've recommended some sites and help-groups to her (mostly sites I used to use) but she doesn't seem to be getting any better. Her mother found out about her scratching a few days ago and simply said "You're really distancing yourself from this family, aren't you?". I mean, I know her home life isn't exactly fabulous, but I was shocked to hear her mother didn't try and get her some help. Of course, it may not have helped that my friend was being terribly surly and withdrawn, even going so far as to snap at me in anger after I asked her how she was.
I'm really hoping I can get her some help. I myself haven't self-harmed since I was 13 (I used to bite my knuckles and pare my nails off) so I can relate to her in some ways, but I'm worried about her mental health as well as her physical.
Thankyou in advance.

7,275 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
Awww, i'm not growing up too fast guys xd

My friends only went home a few hours ago and i miss em already, i like my house better when i'm not the only one here.

@Sunshine: Try to talk with her about her problems at first, instead of directly asking about her self-harming, also, unless she is thinking about severley injuring herself, or killing herself, it would be best try to help her work it out herself. People tend to overreact when they find out someone self-harms, and that can cause them to hurt the person they were trying to help. My family dosen't know about me self-harming, and in fact if self-harm is brought up in a conversation they swear that they would have me commited if they ever had reason to believe i was self-harming. I'm glad to hear that you've stopped, and maybe if she stops being so withdrawn around you, you can share methods that helped you stop.

Dapper Dabbler

So all this week my parents have been yelling at me for petty things or imagined problems. I'm reaching a breaking point. I've already started yelling back, which I try to avoid if possible.

Swashbuckles

Scar help anyone? lol

Mederma, if the other things don't help. It works very nicely. I stopped using it because I haven't stopped cutting, but it works.

Sunshine Molotov
I mean, I know her home life isn't exactly fabulous, but I was shocked to hear her mother didn't try and get her some help.

I have a friend who was very suicidal and depressed, and wanted to self-harm. Her mom yelled at her for it when she found out. My own mother, while she doesn't know (or might know, but I like to think she doesn't) about my self-harm, knows about my issues such as shin splints, phobias, anxiety, etc. She and my father make fun of me for them and dismiss them as not serious.

Lots of parents are really not helpful, sadly, even though they appear as such to others (my parents are verbally abusive but my friends think they're alright if I tell them nothing). Family therapy could help with that.

7,275 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
Well, i'm technically finished with highschool as of 5 minutes ago.... but i'm actually sad. life is weird, i'm the youngest of my friends, and yet i'm the first to graduate. Matt and i were supposed to graduate together, but he failed 8th grade. I don't really know what to do or where to go from here.

7,275 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
I need to figure out how to tell my parents that I want to become a tattoo artist. and that I want to go to art school >_< I'm looking up courses at local colleges and doing research. I guess if i want to take a risk like this, now would be the time to do it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff