< 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 ... 692 693 694 > >> >>> »|

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
*>Self Harm Misconceptions & Facts<*
----
~*Here you will find some useful information about self harm, and the misconceptions that are perpetuating the problem. If you have any info that you would like to share, please let me know.*~

.::.

Self-harming is attention-seeking
Stripping naked and running down the high street would be attention-seeking, but self-harming is more often very private and personal. People who self-harm often go to great lengths to cover up their injuries. The attention that self-harming does bring is often negative and doesn't help to relieve distress. Positive attention such as lending an ear and listening can help somebody who is experiencing distress and dealing with the pressures of everyday life.

People who self-harm are suicidal
People who self-harm aren't usually trying to kill themselves. For many it's a coping mechanism used to survive - not die. Just because you self-harm, it doesn't mean you are suffering from a severe mental illness, either. Although there is a relationship between self-harm and suicide, many more people self-harm than kill themselves - it's the feelings behind the stress they want to get rid of.

People who self-harm could stop if they wanted to
Self-harm can become a habitual or addictive behaviour for some people. Telling somebody to "just stop it" will not work and could possibly alienate them further. They need help and understanding to recover and learn other strategies for coping with emotional pain and stressful situations.

Self-harm is when you cut yourself
Cutting is only one form of self-harm and although it's one of the most common reported forms, there are other ways that people may hurt themselves intentionally. This might be eating disorders, hair pulling, head banging, hitting, scratching, burning, and purposely overdosing. Drug, alcohol, or sexual addictions have also been referred to as self-harm.

Self-harm is usually a failed suicide attempt
This myth persists despite a wealth of studies showing that, although people who self-injure may be at a higher risk of suicide than others, they distinguish between acts of self-harm and attempted suicide. Many, if not most, self-injuring people who make a suicide attempt use means that are completely different to their preferred methods of self-inflicted violence.

People who self-injure are crazy and should be locked up
Tracy Alderman, Ph.D., author of The Scarred Soul, addressed this:
"Fear can lead to dangerous overreactions. In dealing with clients who hurt themselves, you will probably feel fear. . . . Hospitalizing clients for self-inflicted violence is one such form of overreaction. Many therapists, because they do not possess an adequate understanding of SIV (self-inflicted violence), will use extreme measures to assure (they think) their clients' best interests. However, few people who self-injure need to be hospitalized or institutionalized. The vast majority of self-inflicted wounds are neither life threatening nor require medical treatment. Hospitalizing a client involuntarily for these issues can be damaging in several ways. Because SIV is closely related to feelings of lack of control and overwhelming emotional states, placing someone in a setting that by its nature evokes these feelings is very likely to make matters worse, and may lead to an incident of SIV. In addition, involuntary hospitalization often affects the therapeutic relationship in negative ways, eroding trust, communication, rapport, and honesty. Caution should be used when assessing a client's level of threat to self or others. In most cases, SIV is not life threatening. . . . Because SIV is so misunderstood, clinicians often overreact and provide treatment that is contraindicated."

In 2008 Affinity Healthcare suggested that rates of self-harm in young people could be as high as 33%
In a study of undergraduate students in the United States, 9.8% of the students surveyed indicated that they had purposefully cut or burned themselves on at least one occasion in the past. When the definition of self-harm was expanded to include head-banging, scratching oneself, and hitting oneself along with cutting and burning, 32% of the sample said they had done this.

About three million people in the U.S. are self-injurers and approximately 1% of the population has inflicted physical injury upon themselves at some time in their life as a way to cope with an overwhelming situation or feeling. Those numbers are most likely an underestimation because the majority of acts of self-injury go unreported. In other parts of the world the numbers are considerably higher.

90% of self injurers begin as children. This behavior can continue well into adulthood.

More than half of self injurers are victims of emotional/sexual abuse or neglictful childhoods, or have undergone severe psychologically and emotionally traumatic experiences.

Self injury is prevalent in all races, religions, and economic backgrounds. There is no cookie-cutter mold for self injury.

Although most self injurers are women, recent studies show that up to 40% are men.

Information courtesy of Wikipedia, SelfInjury.org & TheSite.org

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
*>Who We Are<*
----
~*Here is information about some of the members that created this place, and call it home.*~

.::.

User Image
Name: Summer
Nicknames: I don't have any, really, pretty much everybody calls me Summer. =)
Type of Self Harm: It depends on the situation or state of mind, but I'm a scratcher, most of the time. I've scratched and cut, but mostly scratched.
Time Period of Self Harm: I was seriously harming for nine years or so, but have been exhibiting self-harming behaviour since a very, very young age.
Personal Reasons For Self Harm: For me it was usually a nervous tick. I get stressed, or upset, or nervous, and things just get itchy and I start scratching until there is skin and blood caked under my nails. When I used to cut, it was always a conscious decision. The endorphin release from the mild pain helped me think more clearly and I could handle whatever problem was at hand easier. I didn't cut for too long, though.
Different situations in my life drew me to do it. It's honestly hard to say what started it, or what triggered the thought in my head.
I have been harm free for over three now, and I'm very proud of myself for it, since it's been quite a struggle (it's a good thing I'm so stubborn, lol). Had someone told me I could ever last this long without it five years ago, I would have laughed. Life is beautiful because of the bad times now. There is profound beauty and serenity in overcoming difficult situations, and it's something I've taken great solace in as of the recent years. Will I ever relapse? Maybe. But for now, I'm steering clear and doing fine.
If anyone needs anything at all, I'm always here, day or night. Write me any time.

User Image
Name: Nikki
Nicknames: Silver
Type of Self Harm: My main form of self harming is by cutting myself. I well also scratch myself with my nails and various objects. In the past I have also bit myself and hit myself. Once in awhile I'll take a really really hot shower in order to calm down.
Time Period of Self Harm: Technically, I have been self harming by scratching myself since elementary school. I have been cutting myself for close to eight years now.
Personal Reasons for Self Harm: Self harming gives me time to think, and a way to release my emotions. I also self harm to punish myself on rare occasions. Pain and blood calms me down a lot.

User Image
Name: Kyra
Nicknames: Goddess
Type of Self Harm: I utilized all sorts of objects for my Self-Harm. In desperate situations I would use my nails, teeth or the sharpest thing around. My type of harm tended to be scarring, welting, minor skinning, and biting. I used anything that wouldn’t cause major bleeding, but would cause major pain.
Time Period of Self Harm: 5 years. In recovery for 1 so far
Personal Reasons For Self Harm: I had a few reasons why I hurt myself. The main reason was to forget about the feelings I had, and still do sometimes have, for myself. I have emotional problems. I let my emotions control myself, and my emotions are stronger than than necessary. If I am angry then I am filled with rage and loathing. It’s scary how overwhelming my feelings can be. I had a very big problem with self-hate, and I still sometimes struggle with my feelings for myself. What I did was displaced my feelings and put them into other people. I took my anger for myself and put it into “personality conflicts” or got into fights. And I made myself feel good by getting attention from men. I found reasons to hate myself when I look in the mirror, and when I recovered I had to work to ignore those and take happiness from my environment or day and applied it to myself. I guess that isn’t as good as finding happiness within like I’m supposed to, but it’s a start.

I’m not sure quite what is wrong with my brain, but my thought process is involved. For as long as I could remember I’ve had the most frustrating thoughts. Sure, I had creativity, but what I did with that creativity was recreate scenarios instead of thinking up new ones. I would let a scene replay over and over, tweaking a detail or two here, and then of course be upset if that perfect scenario never came true. And if I wasn’t replaying a scene, I would have one thought or one sentence running through my head, just changing one word or so. And this can go on for hours until I’m interrupted, and I just don’t know how I can stand it.

One day, after holing myself up in my room and listening to music as loud as I could to drown out my thoughts, I found that I was snapping my hair elastic to the beat, against my wrist. I turned off my music, stared at the throbbing welts, and concentrated on the pain. My thoughts stopped. I was in a blank, black space in my mind. In pain I didn't have to think; it was a break. It made me feel so peaceful, blissful even and liberated.

I experience dissonance, because I know that it's a negative coping method and I know the thoughts of people around me on the subject. I know that I would scare so many people around me, if I told anyone. So I don’t. I deal with it myself, and I deal with it online. A few people found out once, and I did whatever I could to get them out of my life. My parents don’t even know about the harming, but they look at my arm in disgust when they see new wounds (which I always have a plausible excuse for.)

Fortunately I’m in the process of recovery. It has been many long months since I seriously hurt myself. I’ve had a couple of minor relapses, but that’s to be expected. I wish all self-harmers out there the best, and a fast road to recovery once you're ready for it. If you ever need to talk I'm always available by PM or in this thread.

User Image
Name: Greg
Nicknames: Spiffy
Type of Self Harm: Usually punching myself either in the leg or head. Sometimes I absent mindedly scratch but not really enough to bleed, except for when I scratch my psoriasis away. I sometimes have cut in the past but not very often at all, it's actually really rare. I usually hit myself in the head when I'm extremely upset.
Time Period of Self Harm: Technically... I've been doing this since I was in elementary school. The first time I cut myself was in junior high I believe.
Personal Reasons for Self Harm: Usually did this in elementary when I became frustrated I could not do my homework and generally felt incapable of doing so. Thus whenever I feel completely incapable, I still bash my head against things/walls/floors, whatever's nearby. Or punch stuff.

User Image
Name: Bethany
Nicknames: Wind, Wolfie, Beth
Type of Self Harm: Scratching, mostly as of late, I hit walls a lot as well; I bash my forehead against things when I feel I deserve it. Biting has been the main form of self harm throughout my life, because my teeth were readily available when I was younger.
Time Period of Self Harm: 13 years, give or take.
Personal Reasons for Self Harm: My Self harm started when I was around three or four, as far as I can remember. It was usually because of violence in my home, and not knowing if my dad was gonna kill my mom.
As I've gotten older some of the violence has fallen to me, and so, I escape the pain the only way I can, I self harm. If something unexpected happens I self harm over the smallest things until it's fixed or I’ve gotten over it.
I tend to have issues with guilt over what happened years ago, I feel like I should have protected my mom, that’s usually when I hit my head against things. Before I started Cyber School in 8th grade I was picked on relentlessly, and I developed a habit of biting my lower lip. Lately I’ve been trying to reduce my dependence on self harm, it's a bumpy road, but I truly believe that I can do it.

Eloquent Conversationalist

We are live! Congratulations girls! Now the wait for enlightenment begins.

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Making my first post here.

I know I have asked random people this, Summer and Goddess included, but what are your opinions about TWLOHA or any other organization that deals with raising awareness or helping people who self harm.
Kids cut because it delivers a mild opiate high and that s**t's addictive. Of course, you could get the same feeling from a good workout, but ******** that, right? confused

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Yay, we're live! Good job, girls. =)

Silversan

I know I have asked random people this, Summer and Goddess included, but what are your opinions about TWLOHA or any other organization that deals with raising awareness or helping people who self harm.
I've never actually looked at TWLOHA before, and most likely won't in the near to distant future. If they help some people then I suppose that's great, but I'd never go to one.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Heroin with Sic Boy
Kids cut because it delivers a mild opiate high and that s**t's addictive. Of course, you could get the same feeling from a good workout, but ******** that, right? confused

Dear, it says clearly in the thread rules that if you say something, you have to explain why you say it. What are your views on self harm? What makes you feel the way you do about it? This is a discussion thread, hon, not a statement thread. whee

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Candy Massacre 50
GoddessDivine
Silversan

I've never actually looked at TWLOHA before, and most likely won't in the near to distant future. If they help some people then I suppose that's great, but I'd never go to one.

It's a very popular organization, hence why I asked about it. I eventually read up on it because everyone and their mom were wearing t-shirts and writing "love" on their arm on TWLOHA days. I think the organization is okay, but it's more of a trendy thing right now. I don't get TWLOHA days at all.

Writing "LOVE" on your arms and hoping that someone asking you about it is a poor way of showing people that they are not alone.

Heroin with Sic Boy

I don't get high from exercises, actually. It's been recommended for me by therapists and other people as a way to relieve stress and not cut. Plus, not everyone who self harms does it for the endorphin rush.

Heroin with Sic Boy
For me to get the same rush from exercising as from self-harm I would need to work out for about 3 hours each day. Those aren't hours that I have to spend on running and cardio. Also, as Summer stated, we'd really like a bit of a lengthier explanation of your thoughts on the issue.

Silversan
GoddessDivine
Silversan

It's a very popular organization, hence why I asked about it. I eventually read up on it because everyone and their mom were wearing t-shirts and writing "love" on their arm on TWLOHA days. I think the organization is okay, but it's more of a trendy thing right now. I don't get TWLOHA days at all.

Writing "LOVE" on your arms and hoping that someone asking you about it is a poor way of showing people that they are not alone.

Heroin with Sic Boy

I don't get high from exercises, actually. It's been recommended for me by therapists and other people as a way to relieve stress and not cut. Plus, not everyone who self harms does it for the endorphin rush.
I never took part in them, specifically for that reason. I know too little about the subject anyways.

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Candy Massacre 50
GoddessDivine
Heroin with Sic Boy
For me to get the same rush from exercising as from self-harm I would need to work out for about 3 hours each day. Those aren't hours that I have to spend on running and cardio. Also, as Summer stated, we'd really like a bit of a lengthier explanation of your thoughts on the issue.

I also want to add that self harm gives people more of an instant relief, while it might take awhile for someone to get high off of exercising.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Silversan
GoddessDivine
Heroin with Sic Boy

I also want to add that self harm gives people more of an instant relief, while it might take awhile for someone to get high off of exercising.

Agreed.

And about the TWLOHA thing, I think it's a good idea gone about in the wrong way, you know?

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Candy Massacre 50
summer1412
Silversan
GoddessDivine
Heroin with Sic Boy

Agreed.

And about the TWLOHA thing, I think it's a good idea gone about in the wrong way, you know?

I have a few issues with the organization such as how they label people as broken, which is a pet peeve of mine. I am not broken because I have Depression, was addicted to pills, self harmed, and attempted suicide. I am not a puzzle piece that can be put back together. I am a human being and I am whole despite all my issues. If they were trying to be creative or reach out to people, they sort of failed with that comment.

It's an organization with the right message, but it's popular to the point where people will buy the merchandise because it's cool. I have seen people wear TWLOHA shirts, and then tell me they had no clue about the organization and that they bought it because they liked it. Apparently there's stories on the internet about people wearing TWLOHA shirts while making fun of people who have issues such as Depression and addiction. Sort of like a hypocrite, but not.

Plus, the organization was started to raise money to pay for a young adult's treatment and it grew from there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff