Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Gekko

In regards to the earlier question about coping methods sans alcohol, I guess the biggest thing I have is a whole lot of experience which has taught me that no matter how bad things get sometimes, it'll pass. Sometimes I just need to distract myself for a bit with anything, which can also include talking on Gaia.

Other times I just need to write things out, rant at a friend (it's nice to have someone you can rant at who won't judge or spread things but these people are rare), or just stand up and rant to myself.
grinningjester
Lil Enslaved Kitten
aww i's sorry i didn't want you to get stressed.
the "what to be now" is were you need to talk to your wife heart that's one big thing that has helped me. because now i know i am the wife, mother, housekeeper, and baby girl for my Daddy and that is what i work at everyday. granted i slack sometimes but its made me feel better about not know what i was going to do with my life. plus you have your art and the cool work you and your friend do. which btw the website is still down crying i wanna go look at things lol

I do have my art and side work. I know the website is down...cry. I worked so hard on that thing. My business partner is taking her sweet time contacting the provider to get it put back up. I posted some pics of our work on that other website that I can't mention.

As for the what to do now question, doing art and generally staying at home doesn't bring anything to the family and that is really difficult for me. I'm starting to consider if there are jobs to do from home. Any ideas?
oh oh more then the pics you sent me??? if so yay!!!!! lol sorry i wanna go shopping so bad redface

you know i don't really know of any work from home things. i mean i see adds for them all the time but it's almost always those pyramid schemes. hmmm i wish i could member the name of the place but you do have to buy a starter kit you can sell from their magazine, in your own shop or online. one of my mom's friends use to do it to make extra money. they sell everything from candles to statues to crayons. my mom still has all kinds of figures she order through them and they've lasted through all the kids and grand kids so you know they're made pretty good lol

Friendly Guildsman

Nula Chael
In regards to the earlier question about coping methods sans alcohol, I guess the biggest thing I have is a whole lot of experience which has taught me that no matter how bad things get sometimes, it'll pass. Sometimes I just need to distract myself for a bit with anything, which can also include talking on Gaia.

Other times I just need to write things out, rant at a friend (it's nice to have someone you can rant at who won't judge or spread things but these people are rare), or just stand up and rant to myself.

Writing is so helpful. You're absolutely right, everything passes, I totally agree. It's so hard to believe that in the moment though, even if you know that. It takes work!

Friendly Guildsman

Lil Enslaved Kitten
oh oh more then the pics you sent me??? if so yay!!!!! lol sorry i wanna go shopping so bad redface
you know i don't really know of any work from home things. i mean i see adds for them all the time but it's almost always those pyramid schemes. hmmm i wish i could member the name of the place but you do have to buy a starter kit you can sell from their magazine, in your own shop or online. one of my mom's friends use to do it to make extra money. they sell everything from candles to statues to crayons. my mom still has all kinds of figures she order through them and they've lasted through all the kids and grand kids so you know they're made pretty good lol

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. I was in the ER! I'm okay now. Something was wrong with one of my ears and it was causing extreme vertigo. On meds now and doing these silly exercises to fix it, but anyway let's talk about the ER. It was all sorts of bad on my PTSD. I was unable to take care of myself and didn't have my dog and it was horrible. I was passing out from the vertigo but ever little noise would startle me awake. I was totally freaking out. Have any of you ever experienced this? Being in a hospital or otherwise incapacitated and unable to care for yourself but experiencing PTSD symptoms?

My wife was telling me about online moderating for pay. You can do it from home. That sounds like an interesting option. I wish I was good enough at art to make real money at it.

As for the piccies, yes, there are more. I keep having people ask me about the site so I put more up today.
grinningjester
Lil Enslaved Kitten

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. I was in the ER! I'm okay now. Something was wrong with one of my ears and it was causing extreme vertigo. On meds now and doing these silly exercises to fix it, but anyway let's talk about the ER. It was all sorts of bad on my PTSD. I was unable to take care of myself and didn't have my dog and it was horrible. I was passing out from the vertigo but ever little noise would startle me awake. I was totally freaking out. Have any of you ever experienced this? Being in a hospital or otherwise incapacitated and unable to care for yourself but experiencing PTSD symptoms?

My wife was telling me about online moderating for pay. You can do it from home. That sounds like an interesting option. I wish I was good enough at art to make real money at it.

As for the piccies, yes, there are more. I keep having people ask me about the site so I put more up today.
on nos i hope you get to feeling better soon. the only times i have ever really been where i couldn't take care of myself and panicking at the same time was right after i got out of the hospital when i get hurt and when i get sick from panicking now. use to it made me worse now with Daddy around i'm a lil calmer. for a long time the hospital was the only place i really felt safe so i looked forward to being sent back to have work done. i've got over that though.

sounds like something you could look into. you never know maybe one day someone will come along who wants to by your art. ohhh i went and looked at new pics OMG they are amazing.

Friendly Guildsman

Lil Enslaved Kitten
on nos i hope you get to feeling better soon. the only times i have ever really been where i couldn't take care of myself and panicking at the same time was right after i got out of the hospital when i get hurt and when i get sick from panicking now. use to it made me worse now with Daddy around i'm a lil calmer. for a long time the hospital was the only place i really felt safe so i looked forward to being sent back to have work done. i've got over that though.

sounds like something you could look into. you never know maybe one day someone will come along who wants to by your art. ohhh i went and looked at new pics OMG they are amazing.

I'm still on meds but much better than before. That's interesting to me that you actually felt safe in hospitals. Hospitals and funerals trigger me because all I can think about when encountering either is how close I came to being seriously injured or dead. Why did you feel safe in the hospital?
grinningjester
Lil Enslaved Kitten

I'm still on meds but much better than before. That's interesting to me that you actually felt safe in hospitals. Hospitals and funerals trigger me because all I can think about when encountering either is how close I came to being seriously injured or dead. Why did you feel safe in the hospital?
i became close friends with all my nurses and doctors where i was in the hospital for a full month after the tornado. being there and having them around me always gave me a sense of safety and still does. funerals i can't do. i had to go to my brother's and after that well i haven't went to another i can't stand to go thank God my friends and family understand.
glad you are feeling better.
Nula Chael

i rant at myself alot and on here. distractions are good i read a lot to keep my mind off things.

Friendly Guildsman

Lil Enslaved Kitten
i became close friends with all my nurses and doctors where i was in the hospital for a full month after the tornado. being there and having them around me always gave me a sense of safety and still does. funerals i can't do. i had to go to my brother's and after that well i haven't went to another i can't stand to go thank God my friends and family understand.

That makes sense. I had to go to several police funerals after my shooting. The worst one was four officers at a time. It was a bad year for law enforcement in my area. Our honor guard went to the one with four officers and while there one of them took me aside and said Thank you for not making us go through this for you. I don't know why but it stuck with me as something that made me just think about dying. I know he meant it nicely but it was more hurtful than helpful. For everyone: Has there ever been a time when someone said something to you about your incident that hurt you more than helped you?
grinningjester
Lil Enslaved Kitten

That makes sense. I had to go to several police funerals after my shooting. The worst one was four officers at a time. It was a bad year for law enforcement in my area. Our honor guard went to the one with four officers and while there one of them took me aside and said Thank you for not making us go through this for you. I don't know why but it stuck with me as something that made me just think about dying. I know he meant it nicely but it was more hurtful than helpful. For everyone: Has there ever been a time when someone said something to you about your incident that hurt you more than helped you?
i've had things like that happen a lot. my family is the worst for it. mainly my mom, she thinks she's saying things to make me feel better that really just make it worse.

Quotable Consumer

Hey again, I'm now on medications for my anxiety and depression. I was given Quetiapine (Seroquel) because I have a family history of bi-polar and my psychiatrist doesn't want to risk causing manic episodes. Also next week, I'm to ask my counselor about getting a referral to the trauma center in our city so I can get another counselor to help me cope with the PTSD. smile I'm looking forward to getting help because the flashbacks are getting unbearable. In addition to everything, I have a meeting with my vice-principal on monday to talk about me coming back to school and lightening my course load. Yay for life getting back on track.

grinningjester
For everyone: Has there ever been a time when someone said something to you about your incident that hurt you more than helped you?

I was talking to one of my friends who was extremely supportive of me and helpful in the beginning but as time went one, they got more and more frustrated that they couldn't see much progress. They saw me in school and I was trying to suppress anxiety and he asked me what's wrong. I was having problems saying anything or even looking at them. Then he merely sighed and said "Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not that bad...". I talked to them later about that statement and they claimed that they meant that it could always be worse. But then again, this same person has told me I can always go back to self-harm if I really feel this bad.. I try and avoid talking to this person nowadays.
underdog-kitten
Hey again, I'm now on medications for my anxiety and depression. I was given Quetiapine (Seroquel) because I have a family history of bi-polar and my psychiatrist doesn't want to risk causing manic episodes. Also next week, I'm to ask my counselor about getting a referral to the trauma center in our city so I can get another counselor to help me cope with the PTSD. smile I'm looking forward to getting help because the flashbacks are getting unbearable. In addition to everything, I have a meeting with my vice-principal on monday to talk about me coming back to school and lightening my course load. Yay for life getting back on track.

grinningjester
For everyone: Has there ever been a time when someone said something to you about your incident that hurt you more than helped you?

I was talking to one of my friends who was extremely supportive of me and helpful in the beginning but as time went one, they got more and more frustrated that they couldn't see much progress. They saw me in school and I was trying to suppress anxiety and he asked me what's wrong. I was having problems saying anything or even looking at them. Then he merely sighed and said "Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not that bad...". I talked to them later about that statement and they claimed that they meant that it could always be worse. But then again, this same person has told me I can always go back to self-harm if I really feel this bad.. I try and avoid talking to this person nowadays.
so glad to hear things are going good and i hope they just keep getting better for you.
i'm glad you don't talk to them much anymore seems like they weren't a very helpful person in the long run

purple_FILLLTH's Pardner

Greedy Fatcat

Hey everyone, I hope all is well.
Yesterday I had my session and now going to be working on assignments to learn more about my disorder and whatnot. My therapist is using a manual called: Cognitive Processing Therapy: Veteran/Military Version. Though the guide is based around military veterans the overall idea relates to PTSD in general. Yesterday, We talked about Stuck Points.

Stuck Points- Conflicting beliefs or strong negative beliefs that create unpleasant emotions or unhealthy behavior.

My assignment: "Write at least one page on why this tramatic event occurred. Do not write specifics about the tramatic event. Write about what you have been thinking about the cause of the worest event. Also, consider the effects this tramatic event has had on your beliefs about yourself, others, and the world in the following areas: Saftey, trust, power/control, esteem, and intimacy."

I know this is supposed to help me, but I don't like the fact that I'm having to "dig up" all these memories and issues that I've supressed for a long time. I honestly think I would be fine without therapy because all that it's doing is stirring myself up and making me feel like a "freak".
Less Than Beth
Hey everyone, I hope all is well.
Yesterday I had my session and now going to be working on assignments to learn more about my disorder and whatnot. My therapist is using a manual called: Cognitive Processing Therapy: Veteran/Military Version. Though the guide is based around military veterans the overall idea relates to PTSD in general. Yesterday, We talked about Stuck Points.

Stuck Points- Conflicting beliefs or strong negative beliefs that create unpleasant emotions or unhealthy behavior.

My assignment: "Write at least one page on why this tramatic event occurred. Do not write specifics about the tramatic event. Write about what you have been thinking about the cause of the worest event. Also, consider the effects this tramatic event has had on your beliefs about yourself, others, and the world in the following areas: Saftey, trust, power/control, esteem, and intimacy."

I know this is supposed to help me, but I don't like the fact that I'm having to "dig up" all these memories and issues that I've supressed for a long time. I honestly think I would be fine without therapy because all that it's doing is stirring myself up and making me feel like a "freak".
aww just hang tight hun. i'm sure in the end you're gonna be really happy you stuck it out and did all this work User Image

Sparkly Lunatic

It's about time I've seen a PTSD Lifestyle thread. I don't remember seeing one in here before.

I was struck by a truck about five years ago now and though I received therapy after the incident I still have difficulty around vehicles. I'm not sure I'll ever get up the courage to drive one, which sucks, and enjoying things that I used to (long drives, driving fast) is impossible to deal with without some form of stress and anxiety.

Huuuge bummer.

grinningjester

I had an anxiety attack in class once when the TA somehow segued from German lessons to how you should deal with an attacker. He was very firm in his opinion that you should never fight back and just try to talk the person out of it.

One of my mother's former friends assaulted me some years prior and though I never had any symptoms of PTSD afterwards (I was just generally shaken and stunned it had even happened at all but in truth I don't remember much about that night now. It occurred when I was around 13/14) the subject just got me. When I tried to convince the TA that no, negotiating DOESN'T always work and sometimes you do need to fight back to save yourself, he refused to believe me and pursued his POV harder.

Cue flashbacks and terror. After excusing myself I rushed to one of my in-school sanctuaries, a study hall/learning zone and proceeded to shake and cry myself silly. Bless their hearts my friends and the teacher there supported me and did everything they could to calm me down but eventually I had to return to class.
The teacher was completely unimpressed and refused to believe me when I tried to explain what had happened.
Disgusted I stormed out again, got the office to call my mom, and skipped the rest of the day.

Stubborn hard headed teachers. The Gym teach wouldn't have believed I was hit by a truck and unable to participate if I didn't have eye-witnesses asking after my health and being generally freaked out.
The b*****d still failed me for the year though. I had to take two gym classes in Grade 11 to graduate. /facepalm

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff