Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you could, how many babies would you have at once?

Just the one! 0.34771573604061 34.8% [ 137 ]
Twins! 0.37055837563452 37.1% [ 146 ]
Triplets! 0.035532994923858 3.6% [ 14 ]
Quadruplets! 0.0025380710659898 0.3% [ 1 ]
5+ 0.015228426395939 1.5% [ 6 ]
Gold please. 0.22842639593909 22.8% [ 90 ]
Total Votes:[ 394 ]

Clean Raider

Kitakiy
[Razzberry Kamikaze]
ZellyKat
I tried to avoid them becuase people would tell me it interfered with breastfeeding.. but it seems to work out ok. The pediatrician told me not to let her use my own nipples as a pacifier anymore because of the tendency to chew and nibble. I'm okay with that. Kairi doesn't use pacifiers too often but it's nice to have a break once in a while.

Maybe it's a comfort thing for babies to suck when they're out of the womb?

I read that using a binky for the first year can actually help a baby - and obviously help the mother. But, anytime after that and it just becomes a habit. I'll definately use them, but I'll get rid of them by 2 at the latest. I think they're 'supposed' to go at around the same time as bottles.
I'll have to look into it again for the exact reasons... but I think it's supposed to HELP a baby with breastfeeding, provided it has the right kind of n****e on it.
But if it was such a bad thing, there wouldn't be such a wide selection, right? ^_^

It's something that's really curious to me as part of human biology and neuroscience.
Baby's suck to breast feed - they're hungry, but to suck most of the time just got my mind going. xD
We have a few binkies. I'm not sure how often we'll use them but I know they'll get some use.

I just don't understand how people can let their kids go till 4 or 5 with a binky... Take it away from your child, they'll forget about it in a week. Ya' know?

Shirtless Informer

Babies suck for food AND comfort. The breast is the ORIGINAL pacifier. smile

http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/newborn-concerns/pacifier/
http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/comfortnursing/
http://thebabybond.com/ComfortNursing.html

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
And um... Yea... I metnioned earlier that mother's day was supposed to be yesterday... and I feel really dumb. I even double checked the date like a month ago, and my brain has apparently shut down since then... redface

haha...

But anywho, I have no idea whether or not I'm close to going into labor. Fairly certain i've had a few contractions every day, but no more than two an hour, and I have gone a few hours without having any... people keep telling me different things, and one of my SILs told me EXACTLY how a contraction should feel even though she's never had kids... and I was like... "Well actually, THIS is more like what THIS feels like..."
My MIL told me about when she had her first kid though - she was two weeks early, and her labor lasted all of... three hours. And she didn't feel the contractions hardly at all until her water broke.

Adorable Fatcat

Boobs may be the original pacifier, but my boobs need a break every now and again. Binkies work for that purpose and I will use them in the appropriate manner. Or I will utilize my pinkie. Either way....

Smol Cutie-Pie

24,590 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Mightelove
Boobs may be the original pacifier, but my boobs need a break every now and again. Binkies work for that purpose and I will use them in the appropriate manner. Or I will utilize my pinkie. Either way....

This leads to an interesting discussion I started on Facebook. Apparently pacifiers may help with breastfeeding in the long run.

http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/30/11434749-no-more-n****e-confusion-study-says-pacifiers-may-help-breast-feeding?lite

Smol Cutie-Pie

24,590 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Kitakiy
[Razzberry Kamikaze]
ZellyKat
I tried to avoid them becuase people would tell me it interfered with breastfeeding.. but it seems to work out ok. The pediatrician told me not to let her use my own nipples as a pacifier anymore because of the tendency to chew and nibble. I'm okay with that. Kairi doesn't use pacifiers too often but it's nice to have a break once in a while.

I read that using a binky for the first year can actually help a baby - and obviously help the mother. But, anytime after that and it just becomes a habit. I'll definately use them, but I'll get rid of them by 2 at the latest. I think they're 'supposed' to go at around the same time as bottles.
I'll have to look into it again for the exact reasons... but I think it's supposed to HELP a baby with breastfeeding, provided it has the right kind of n****e on it.
But if it was such a bad thing, there wouldn't be such a wide selection, right? ^_^

I should have read a page back. Haha. I linked the article you're referring to.

Shameless Consumer

I was planning on using pacifiers because of the decreased risk of SIDS, not that I had much choice once Emily and Stephanie were born. The only reason I wish that we hadn't had to use them is because neither of my girls are good at holding onto their pacifiers still, and sometimes if they wake up at night and they've lost it then they'll cry and I'll have to get up and go put it back in their mouth. For months we had to prop the pacifiers up just so any of us would get any sleep at all.

We recently decided at nearly 6 months to take Stephanie's night time pacifier away, because I was exhausted waking up 8-10 times a night between them to fix up their pacifiers and soothe them back to sleep. The first two days were hell, but she doesn't seem to mind much since then. Despite her being so young and ornery the weaning process hasn't gone badly at all! And I'm honestly thankful we got it out of the way so early.

Adorable Fatcat

Arlette Mori
Mightelove

This leads to an interesting discussion I started on Facebook. Apparently pacifiers may help with breastfeeding in the long run.

http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/30/11434749-no-more-n****e-confusion-study-says-pacifiers-may-help-breast-feeding?lite
It wouldn't surprise me if the ten percent decline when the binkies were locked up was a result of women giving up from sore nipples. >.<

To avoid the issue of binkies falling out at night, I take it out of Michael's mouth before I put him down. I don't know if that works for every baby, but it doesn't bother Lil Bit at all.

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Arlette Mori
Kitakiy
[Razzberry Kamikaze]
ZellyKat

I should have read a page back. Haha. I linked the article you're referring to.

MEH.
I can't find the article that I read. Might have been in one of my baby/preggy books.
The one you posted wasn't it, but it sorta shows what I'm talking it.
It mentions helping a baby learn to suck better, or something...?
Anywho, the brand that I bought have specially shaped nipples that are supposed to imitate mommy's nipples. I got the same brand bottles, too (NUK).

Pacifiers have ALSO been proven to reduce the risk of SIDS - there's tons of stuff on that, too.

Kawaii Demigod

20,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Has anyone else had an extreme craving for water, Popsicles and to chew on them? It's to the point where I know I am full to the brim that I feel like I will explode but I just can't stop myself. I also don't really want solid food. O.o and if I do, I only want a little bit.

Clean Raider

Azlein
Has anyone else had an extreme craving for water, Popsicles and to chew on them? It's to the point where I know I am full to the brim that I feel like I will explode but I just can't stop myself. I also don't really want solid food. O.o and if I do, I only want a little bit.
Yes to the popsicles.

Wealthy Lunatic

4,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Binkies : Ashton took one for like.. a month.. then lost interest. He is however a thumb sucker gonk .
I'll cross that bridge one day... ugh. he doesn't suck it when he is asleep though. He takes it out right before he falls asleep.

Been a LONG day. But I think I finally figured out the nursing thing thanks to a visit to my wonderful LC. heart

Then did a bunch of shopping. Because I can.

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I'm one of the ones that probably won't use pacifiers. I think they're cute, but that's about it. My husband is really against them, and since I don't really have strong feelings either way, I'm cool without.

When I watched my baby cousin, her dad didn't leave me any toys, just a pacifier. I didn't use it, and things were just fine.

But it doesn't mean that I think people that do use them are bad parents. It's a choice, just like many others out there.

A child in diapers/breastfeeding/with bottle/with binkie at age 5 is a little despairing. Excluding special needs kids of course.
Hello ladies

3,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Azlein
ButterFairy Rainbow
User Image

Sydnee and Serenity. Sorry it took me so long to upload the photo, but here they are.

They are so beautiful. 3nodding I can't wait till my little angel is here.

Yes you can...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces