Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Lunatic

WWLink
Synapt

I'd probably avoid Rails (RoR) at all costs though, RoR gets hyped like once every year and then fades away back into obscurity, I've met few people who really were happy with the fact they learned RoR, and the ones that were primarily were the few people who managed to score long-term jobs in RoR by companies who are too lazy to move to anything else, lol.

Funny thing is, whenever I find a company that uses Rails, they're looking for a dev. If you go to a Rails meetup, you'll meet at least a few people from companies that are hiring. That said, I haven't learned it. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I've poked at it, but I haven't actually done anything useful with it other than install it. It looks nice.

Part of the problem is every time I think about making something with ruby, it turns out everyone else in the project doesn't know ruby, but knows python.. and python is pretty darn easy to work with, so I just use that.

The main problem with RoR is it's a roller coaster career. Once a year it gets a big hype when sites here and there go "Lets try and migrate to RoR" and start looking for devs, which last a couple years generally before they migrate off it to another language cause it was such a pain, lol.

Newbie Noob

Anyone have a recommendation for a person wiki for OSX.

I loved using a real wiki online to keep notes, but then I had to worry about hackers and keeping it updated. I loved Tomboy, but then it got corrupted and ruined basically everything.

I just want to make notes, and be able to link between notes.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Slutty_Eddie
Anyone have a recommendation for a person wiki for OSX.

I loved using a real wiki online to keep notes, but then I had to worry about hackers and keeping it updated. I loved Tomboy, but then it got corrupted and ruined basically everything.

I just want to make notes, and be able to link between notes.

Evernote.
Synapt
WWLink
Synapt

I'd probably avoid Rails (RoR) at all costs though, RoR gets hyped like once every year and then fades away back into obscurity, I've met few people who really were happy with the fact they learned RoR, and the ones that were primarily were the few people who managed to score long-term jobs in RoR by companies who are too lazy to move to anything else, lol.

Funny thing is, whenever I find a company that uses Rails, they're looking for a dev. If you go to a Rails meetup, you'll meet at least a few people from companies that are hiring. That said, I haven't learned it. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I've poked at it, but I haven't actually done anything useful with it other than install it. It looks nice.

Part of the problem is every time I think about making something with ruby, it turns out everyone else in the project doesn't know ruby, but knows python.. and python is pretty darn easy to work with, so I just use that.

The main problem with RoR is it's a roller coaster career. Once a year it gets a big hype when sites here and there go "Lets try and migrate to RoR" and start looking for devs, which last a couple years generally before they migrate off it to another language cause it was such a pain, lol.
RoR is an abortion.

There, I said it.

Ruby is a nice language, and it's one of my favorites, although I don't use it much any more. The problem with Rails, though, is that it's designed for a specific category of MVC architectures, and if your application doesn't exactly fit that mold, you end up having to do truly unholy things with it to beat Rails into doing what you need.

RoR is great if you want to write a blog webapp in 5 minutes.

RoR is an abomination if you want to do anything more complex.

That's why they're always hiring. People burn out and their application gets ever more complex, until it's a completely unmanageable mess, and then they move on to Node.js, because it's the new hotness, completely unaware that it, too, is an abortion, and is probably ten times worse than RoR.
psychic stalker
Synapt
WWLink
Synapt

RoR is an abortion.

There, I said it.

Ruby is a nice language, and it's one of my favorites, although I don't use it much any more. The problem with Rails, though, is that it's designed for a specific category of MVC architectures, and if your application doesn't exactly fit that mold, you end up having to do truly unholy things with it to beat Rails into doing what you need.

That's why they're always hiring. People burn out and their application gets ever more complex, until it's a completely unmanageable mess, and then they move on to Node.js, because it's the new hotness, completely unaware that it, too, is an abortion, and is probably ten times worse than RoR.

Wait wait wait wait

Why the ******** would anyone use RoR for a 5 min webapp? They'd use Sinatra.

Also how is Node.js an abortion? Worldwide there are more Node jobs than there ever have been Rails. There are about 200k npm packages and not even 10k ruby gems. Node also, unlike RoR, is far from a complete kit. Yes there's a bunch of shitty Node apps and libraries out there, but there's also shitty Linux distros too.

Newbie Noob

Again, on osx.

Where the hell should I be places libraries for development. Right now, I've been placing them on ~/ . What is the best practice? Or is there a best practice. I'm coding again, and I was already out of date when I was coding in the naughties, so I'm totally lost now.

And where is the hip and trendy place to ask questions like this now-a-days?
MyNameIsKir
psychic stalker
Synapt
WWLink
Synapt

RoR is an abortion.

There, I said it.

Wait wait wait wait

Why the ******** would anyone use RoR for a 5 min webapp? They'd use Sinatra.
Because that's what Rails was originally designed for. It was never designed to support the massive crapware systems that it's been used for.

Rails itself is a huge, insecure, unstable mess of conflicting libraries wrapped around a shitty ORM that has no business existing.
MyNameIsKir
Also how is Node.js an abortion? Worldwide there are more Node jobs than there ever have been Rails. There are about 200k npm packages and not even 10k ruby gems. Node also, unlike RoR, is far from a complete kit. Yes there's a bunch of shitty Node apps and libraries out there, but there's also shitty Linux distros too.
The quantity of libraries does not demonstrate the quality of the platform. It only demonstrates that there are a lot of incompetent ******** flocking to the first platform they heard of.

Look at the libraries and tools written for Node.js. You will find that they are, by and large, of very low quality. There are a lot of them that do exactly the same job, and most of them poorly at that.

The quantity of packages in NPM is a symptom of the ineptness of the community that flocked to it.

The Ruby gems aren't much better, but at least there are fewer gems doing the same job as a dozen others.

Node is a prime example of a spectacularly bad idea carried out to perfection. At no point did its event model ever deliver on its promise. At no point was Node.js appropriate for a responsive website. It only appears to be appropriate when used in artificial benchmarks designed to gloss over its limitations.

Yes, Node.js makes sense for websockets and pure event-loop applications. No, your website probably doesn't qualify, and I can name literally two dozen different platforms that would be more appropriate.
Slutty_Eddie
Again, on osx.

Where the hell should I be places libraries for development. Right now, I've been placing them on ~/ . What is the best practice? Or is there a best practice. I'm coding again, and I was already out of date when I was coding in the naughties, so I'm totally lost now.
In your project tree, integrated into your build system.

It's ugly and messy, but that's what everyone and their dog is doing on Macs.
Slutty_Eddie
Reddit.

Newbie Noob

psychic stalker
Slutty_Eddie
Reddit.
I thought we were suppose to hate reddit right now..

And do voat or something.
Slutty_Eddie
psychic stalker
Slutty_Eddie
Reddit.
I thought we were suppose to hate reddit right now..

And do voat or something.
No, "Chairman Pao" quit and the original founder is CEO again, so no one knows if they're supposed to hate it any more.
psychic stalker
The quantity of libraries does not demonstrate the quality of the platform. It only demonstrates that there are a lot of incompetent ******** flocking to the first platform they heard of.

Look at the libraries and tools written for Node.js. You will find that they are, by and large, of very low quality. There are a lot of them that do exactly the same job, and most of them poorly at that.

The quantity of packages in NPM is a symptom of the ineptness of the community that flocked to it.

The Ruby gems aren't much better, but at least there are fewer gems doing the same job as a dozen others.

Node is a prime example of a spectacularly bad idea carried out to perfection. At no point did its event model ever deliver on its promise. At no point was Node.js appropriate for a responsive website. It only appears to be appropriate when used in artificial benchmarks designed to gloss over its limitations.

Yes, Node.js makes sense for websockets and pure event-loop applications. No, your website probably doesn't qualify, and I can name literally two dozen different platforms that would be more appropriate.

Your argument against Node honestly sounds like the argument used to say that IaaS is better than PaaS. Except it isn't. Both Node and IaaSes were specialized for a small subset of uses. For example, making a websocket centered application in Node and launching your prototype on an IaaS is like masturbating with a vibrating d***o that was perfectly molded for your p***y. And yes, some people use these tools in the wrong places all of the time for the sake of convenience, because they used it to make such a smooth ride to their first series of funding and can't afford to switch to a more multi-use, flexible, adaptable technology, or, as you said, because it's all they heard of. But that doesn't mean that the technology is s**t. If someone sticks that d***o up your a** despite it being too big and you absolutely not wanting it there, that doesn't make the d***o itself any less great.
MyNameIsKir
psychic stalker

Your argument against Node honestly sounds like the argument used to say that IaaS is better than PaaS. Except it isn't. Both Node and IaaSes were specialized for a small subset of uses. For example, making a websocket centered application in Node and launching your prototype on an IaaS is like masturbating with a vibrating d***o that was perfectly molded for your p***y.
Something you wouldn't do/admit doing in public?
The20
I live in San Francisco.
MyNameIsKir
The20
I live in San Francisco.
I'm not certain i understand the implications of this answer. Are you saying you would do that in public?
The20
MyNameIsKir
The20
I live in San Francisco.
I'm not certain i understand the implications of this answer. Are you saying you would do that in public?
Well I'd admit it. I don't go to the street fairs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff