Welcome to Gaia! ::

I wonder how everyone is, and if there were any other Floridians in the C&T, things are getting pretty bad here.

Newbie Noob

Sir Leto
I wonder how everyone is, and if there were any other Floridians in the C&T, things are getting pretty bad here.
Michigander here. The long term forecast for next year is much hotter than this year. This year is, historically, a "cool" year.
I've been melting, here in the mid-west. Daily maximums of 39C, and my AC is broken. sweatdrop

What's going on in Florida?

Slutty_Eddie
Michigander here. The long term forecast for next year is much hotter than this year. This year is, historically, a "cool" year.

That's horrifying. Maybe I can buy a summer home in Barrow, Alaska to escape to.

Newbie Noob

contrains

That's horrifying. Maybe I can buy a summer home in Barrow, Alaska to escape to.
Next year we have a 55% chance a El Nino will form, and if it does, that means temps will be much hotter and less rainfall.
We had a relatively cool and wet July. Which isn't bad, considering several of the last few years have been somewhat dry. I have been told the northern parts of the country are even colder and wetter.
I seem to find myself posting in GD and the Chatterbox lately. Not quite sure why. I guess it's nice to have some actual interaction here on the forums again. sweatdrop

Those two forums do seem to be a bit more tame than they were back in the 2000s, though.

Liberal Nerd

Quote:
We had a relatively cool and wet July. Which isn't bad, considering several of the last few years have been somewhat dry. I have been told the northern parts of the country are even colder and wetter.

Lucky, my region was at 95% humidity, covered in smoke, and routinely at 100+ F. Even when it was storming.

Also, random tangent, somehow now in the medical industry doing the absolute opposite of what I went to school for.

Newbie Noob

Rgoodermote
Quote:

Lucky, my region was at 95% humidity, covered in smoke, and routinely at 100+ F. Even when it was storming.

Also, random tangent, somehow now in the medical industry doing the absolute opposite of what I went to school for.
Life is rather unpredictable. We are taught from an early age that our society is very bureaucratic, that one can simply plan to go from primary school to college to job, and quite frankly, the ones that are capable of doing that are very well off. However, a sizable number of people will end up somewhere they had not planned or even were aware that it was an option.
Slutty_Eddie
Rgoodermote
Quote:

Life is rather unpredictable. We are taught from an early age that our society is very bureaucratic, that one can simply plan to go from primary school to college to job, and quite frankly, the ones that are capable of doing that are very well off. However, a sizable number of people will end up somewhere they had not planned or even were aware that it was an option.

Definitely true for me, working professionally as a software engineer (my childhood hobby, thanks to you guys here in C&T helping me learn), despite my formal education being in liberal arts.

That being said, I'm currently in-between jobs due to the tech layoffs, but I have a fourth-round interview this week for a new position, so hopefully that will work out well. ninja
And once again, it's October. Just put on my 2k4 Zombie G CORP Labcoat for the season.

I still have 14 vials of unknown liquid, just in case we never need them again. Hard to believe that was nearly two decades ago! I can still remember being so caught up in that event, and being only the second person to obtain a labcoat -- back when items had sequential IDs which were visible in the user's inventory.

Also, my fourth-round interview went well. They said I was the only candidate they interviewed who was actually able to solve the programming challenge, which is both encouraging for my prospects, yet also rather shocking since it was pretty simple code. (It was a refactoring / optimisation challenge.) I'm hopeful perhaps this week I'll be extended a job offer.
How many rounds does an interview take?
The20
How many rounds does an interview take?

This one seems to have five rounds. But Friday's "fourth round" was two separate video-call interviews with two separate teams, so I'm uncertain whether the latter was the "fifth" or whether there's still another round to follow.

I can so far see the purpose of the interviews I've had.

- The first was with the company recruiter, to gauge whether I was worth their time to speak with. He asked me about my CV, my eligibility, my salary expectations, etc.

- The second was with the technical manager of the team, to meet me and ask me technical questions to evaluate my skill on a general level.

- The third was with two senior engineers who gave me a programming challenge to write a simple piece of software as they observed.

- The fourth with with two other senior engineers who gave me a challenge to create a white sheet spec for a database layout and API structure for some concept application, again as they observed.

- The fifth was with two other senior engineers who gave me a programming challenge to refactor and optimise an existing piece of sample code. This is the one which I apparently refactored so well that they were shocked because apparently none of the other candidates had been able to successfully reduce it from O(n*m) to O(m) complexity.

I can definitely see the purpose of the latter three, as they are testing three distinct yet important facets of being a senior engineer, and all three serve to test that you actually have professional experience and are not just a boot camp graduate trying to fake your way into a senior position. I can also see the benefit of the first two to some degree, but I'm least certain of the specific purpose of the second interview as opposed to wrapping it into the subsequent three. Not that it matters too much, as it didn't hurt anything to have that extra conversation.

The job pays up to $200k, so that'd be a pretty nice salary bump if I can land it. 3nodding
Annnnd. I got turned down for the job. sweatdrop crying Reason given was that they didn't think I was a skilled enough programmer. emo So now to start over from square one again.

Meanwhile, I just got back from a week in Japan. It was amazing to be there, especially after so many years of dreaming about it.
contrains
Annnnd. I got turned down for the job. sweatdrop crying Reason given was that they didn't think I was a skilled enough programmer. emo So now to start over from square one again.

Meanwhile, I just got back from a week in Japan. It was amazing to be there, especially after so many years of dreaming about it.
Aw, i'm sorry to hear.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces