Bertholdt 0.016447368421053 1.6% [ 10 ]
Reiner 0.019736842105263 2.0% [ 12 ]
Other 0.13815789473684 13.8% [ 84 ]
Total Votes:[ 608 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 38 39 40 > >>

Tenauri's Significant Otter

Loyal Codger

shades of gold
        no but like. that is literally almost the entire fandom.

i don't know if you were aware of it (because it was mostly within the rp community, i think?) but people were getting death threats and being told to die and just being generally harrassed because rumor had it that they did or didn't ship a certain thing. even that issue aside, a majority of the fandom also glorifies ***** and abusive relationships.

(and thank you! the main character i roleplay as is auruo, though.)

I’ve found the Hetalia fandom to be much of the same. Though I haven’t experienced it personally with the AoT fandom (yet) but I have time-and-again with the Hetalia fandom. I suppose that is because I have yet to actually RP AoT or try to do so. I’m rather leery when it comes to RPing series because I am afraid of the less understanding fans of the fandom—the kind that you mentioned with the threats and things.

I don’t know why people get so huffy over pairings. I mean, if you want to defend your pairing, fine. But that doesn’t mean you have to be an a** about it, y’know? I don’t have a single ship, I have an armada and if I don’t ship something someone else does, that’s fine. I respect their right to ship what they want and don’t get huffy over it. I guess it is too much to expect the same in return though as I still get growls.

Ah, haha. Auruo. I love that man too.

Loyal Codger

shades of gold
        euhguhghghgh i have so many issues with rivetra. that aside,
        it's kind of erwin's fault? depending on how you see it. i mean, when levi was going to rejoin his squad, erwin told him to stay back and switch out his blades and gas canisters. while that may not have been enough to save gunter, he may have gotten there in time to save erd and petra and auruo. or, he may have gotten there in time to die with them.

it's a very real possibility that levi feels guilt over his squad's deaths, that if he hadn't obeyed erwin's orders he could have saved him. im not even a levi fan, and i empathize with him on that.

It isn’t something I typically ship but I will support it (because I am weird and support a lot of pairings whether I like them or not).
    This is very true! Levi was told to stay back but wasn’t that, in general, because the Female Titan was anticipated to head their way? Regardless, yes, I’m sure Levi does feel guilt towards it as well. If he had been there I’m sure at least one of them could have been saved and if not, well, he would have been there to try at the very least.
Sonpi-Chan

It isn’t something I typically ship but I will support it (because I am weird and support a lot of pairings whether I like them or not).
    This is very true! Levi was told to stay back but wasn’t that, in general, because the Female Titan was anticipated to head their way? Regardless, yes, I’m sure Levi does feel guilt towards it as well. If he had been there I’m sure at least one of them could have been saved and if not, well, he would have been there to try at the very least.

i don't like it because (and here we return to the fandom issue) both petra and levi's characters end up so warped and distorted and it just. disgusts me. petra is reduced to an object to justify levi's mangst, portrayed so that all of her hopes and dreams and possible aspirations revolved around marriage, that her entire life revolved around levi. and as for levi- he's not a warm man by any stretch of the imagination, not friendly at all. but so often for rivetra he's portrayed as this happy, smiling guy who's very handsy. (that aside, i think that- from the way petra talked to eren about levi- that she admired him too much that even if they were romantically involved, it wouldn't be a healthy relationship.)

Loyal Codger

shades of gold
        i don't like it because (and here we return to the fandom issue) both petra and levi's characters end up so warped and distorted and it just. disgusts me. petra is reduced to an object to justify levi's mangst, portrayed so that all of her hopes and dreams and possible aspirations revolved around marriage, that her entire life revolved around levi. and as for levi- he's not a warm man by any stretch of the imagination, not friendly at all. but so often for rivetra he's portrayed as this happy, smiling guy who's very handsy. (that aside, i think that- from the way petra talked to eren about levi- that she admired him too much that even if they were romantically involved, it wouldn't be a healthy relationship.)

Ah, yes, I can see where you’re coming from in that regard. I don’t really read a lot of AoT fics, so I’m not familiar, personally, with how this pairing is portrayed. But that makes a lot of sense; though, it’s true. Petra had a strong admiration of Levi and that definitely wouldn’t lead to a healthy relationship. I can’t even imagine Levi being a happy, smiling guy. That just kinda…blows my mind trying to imagine it.
Sonpi-Chan

Ah, yes, I can see where you’re coming from in that regard. I don’t really read a lot of AoT fics, so I’m not familiar, personally, with how this pairing is portrayed. But that makes a lot of sense; though, it’s true. Petra had a strong admiration of Levi and that definitely wouldn’t lead to a healthy relationship. I can’t even imagine Levi being a happy, smiling guy. That just kinda…blows my mind trying to imagine it.

it's not even just in fanfiction. it's also in fanart, and general character interpretation.

i've been bursting to say this im sorry

Loyal Codger

shades of gold
        it's not even just in fanfiction. it's also in fanart, and general character interpretation.

i've been bursting to say this im sorry

Then I’ve completely missed the fanart of it as well, haha. I only look at what happens to pass by on my tumblr – I don’t always actively go look up pairing pictures. I merely look up the series in general, so I find lovely background pictures and things like that. So somehow I’ve missed the Rivetra boat as far as art is concerned. That may be a good thing, I’m not entirely sure.

And pardon? Sorry for what?
Sonpi-Chan
paradoxsys

I agree with you on so many levels! The story is rather unique (in my opinion) and I think that’s why I like it so much. The anime series I typically watch do not have what’s left of humanity fighting for survival and looking for a way to make life better. So I do like this take on the overall story and a lot of the characters are likable. While you hate some you just can’t help but like others. It also feels along the lines of real so the characters are easier to connect to since they are just ordinary people with no super powers (excluding Eren and you know who not naming names, don’t want to spoil anything for those who haven’t seen that far yet; with the whole Titan thing).

It’s nice to have ordinary people that can and will die in a series. Sure I don’t like it when some of my favorites die; there are times I wish that everyone would live and be happy. But that just solidifies the realness I think is trying to be portrayed—that not everyone is invincible and sometimes good people die and they don’t necessarily die for the greater good; they just die and their death means nothing. Usually it ends up fueling someone in the series to do better and survive but overall, they were “sacrificed” for no reason that we can see.

Oh I highly recommend the manga. It is excellent and lets you see things more in-depth than the anime does. Though I enjoyed the anime (despite the changes from the manga) because I like to hear the voices they put to characters. And these ones, I feel, were spot-on! Plus, like you said, the animations were quite gorgeous and very eye catching. Even if some of the Titan designs made me laugh.

straight up smile attack on titan is far beyond well thought out. it is so much more riveting and mature than most anime and manga out there. It reminds me of cowboy bebop in the way that it could grip the attention of a huge western audience, not just anime lovers. as i was watching it, i felt like i was reading a best selling novel. It is truly a work of art smile i definately plan on checking out the manga. BUt holy s**t yes on that lolzy titan designs. The ******** moe titan tho!!! xD

http://25.media.tumblr.com/813226011c443d2f7189da0706727cf6/tumblr_mme745KE5e1qdyupno1_1280.jpg

Tipsy Kitten

I remember the first time I read this series I was alone in my bedroom with the lights turned off and it was past 12midnight. I was not able to sleep well after a few days. The anatomy of the characters in the first few chapters really irritated me (their arms and legs especially, nothing was in proportion and it was driving me a bit insane on the side) but the plot completely made-up for the art.

One of the few horror manga I can read and follow. And those cliff-hangers. Gaaaaah! Too much! I stopped following it though. School got in the way and the monthly-release was too long to wait for! I watched only the first episode of the anime. They did a really good job.

Hm....I should continue that series again.....

Loyal Codger

paradoxsys
straight up smile attack on titan is far beyond well thought out. it is so much more riveting and mature than most anime and manga out there. It reminds me of cowboy bebop in the way that it could grip the attention of a huge western audience, not just anime lovers. as i was watching it, i felt like i was reading a best selling novel. It is truly a work of art smile i definately plan on checking out the manga. BUt holy s**t yes on that lolzy titan designs. The ******** moe titan tho!!! xD

http://25.media.tumblr.com/813226011c443d2f7189da0706727cf6/tumblr_mme745KE5e1qdyupno1_1280.jpg

As unfortunate as it is, I never really got into Cowboy Bebop because I never had the channel it was on for the longest time. When I did, I never really took the time to watch it. I was more invested in other shows and I hate coming into a series midway through. But I do like the characters from the series and the music. One day I will start from the beginning and see how I like it. :)

That’s an interesting take on it – feeling like you were reading a bestselling novel. I’ve never thought of it that way before. Definitely an interesting point of view. :)
    FFFF. Yes, that freaking moe Titan. I laughed so hard when that one showed up. You have all of these odd Titans that don’t, necessarily, have big eyes. Then this one shows up and it has BIG eyes like whoa. Pfft. Moe Titan is late for class?

Loyal Codger

chichipi
I remember the first time I read this series I was alone in my bedroom with the lights turned off and it was past 12midnight. I was not able to sleep well after a few days. The anatomy of the characters in the first few chapters really irritated me (their arms and legs especially, nothing was in proportion and it was driving me a bit insane on the side) but the plot completely made-up for the art.

One of the few horror manga I can read and follow. And those cliff-hangers. Gaaaaah! Too much! I stopped following it though. School got in the way and the monthly-release was too long to wait for! I watched only the first episode of the anime. They did a really good job.

Hm....I should continue that series again.....

Oh gosh, really? I wonder if I’d have had the same outcome if I had read it at night like that. Well, I kind of did but it only caused me to have strange Titan-related dreams. They were so bizarre that I told myself I’d never marathon a manga in one night and then go to bed ever again, haha. No more Titan dreams for me! Even if they were slightly amusing. But I never took too much notice of the anatomy of the series to be honest. I was too focused on the story and what was going on. Now I’ll have to keep an eye out as a re-read it.

Those cliff-hangers are killers. Killers I tell ya! They drive me bonkers as I wait to see what happens next.

I hope you pick the series up again. It’s taken a few surprising (or maybe not-so-surprising) turns. You might enjoy it.
    Not to mention this manga (or maybe manga in general?) is being released much more quickly in the States. I was rather surprised.
i can't read it anymore knowing that the mangaka has stated that he no longer has plans on killing any of them purely because of how popular the show made it

gtfo

Loyal Codger

Pardon? Plans on killing who; the main characters?

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
shades of gold
Sonpi-Chan

I’m going to jump in on this because I enjoy ships and talking about ships! Even if they can cause a war.

While I personally support the pairing of Levi x Petra, I think it can be left up to interpretation.

But I think the whole reason Levi looked so devastated by Petra’s father was, like shades of gold said, due to the fact that his entire team (excluding Eren of course) had just died. Levi’s squad was handpicked by him and I’m sure they were all close in their own way. But to have your teammates snatched from you like that, it isn’t easy to get over. Let alone passing along that information to their families. Through the series Levi has expressed concern and how he hates seeing his comrades die.

I don’t necessarily think it was a romantic attachment personally. But I won’t say that isn’t a possibility either. ‘cause it was never stated and thus no one really knows.

euhguhghghgh i have so many issues with rivetra. that aside,
        it's kind of erwin's fault? depending on how you see it. i mean, when levi was going to rejoin his squad, erwin told him to stay back and switch out his blades and gas canisters. while that may not have been enough to save gunter, he may have gotten there in time to save erd and petra and auruo. or, he may have gotten there in time to die with them.

it's a very real possibility that levi feels guilt over his squad's deaths, that if he hadn't obeyed erwin's orders he could have saved him. im not even a levi fan, and i empathize with him on that.

Personally, I kinda blame Eren. He should've tranformed and defended his comrades not because he didn't believe in them but because they were his friends. "Believe in us"
Eren: "I do that why I'm going to kill that Titan!"
*Sigh* Of course not...
Sonpi-Chan

Pardon? Plans on killing who; the main characters?

he was going to kill off a bunch of characters but then he decided not to because of the fandom

Loyal Codger

shades of gold
        he was going to kill off a bunch of characters but then he decided not to because of the fandom

Oooh, I see. I don’t really follow along with that type of thing—the following creators closely to hear what they have in store and so forth. I just…wait for the series to tell me, haha. Orz.

But yes. Somehow I could see the fandom reacting badly to him killing off a bunch of characters. Though if he wants to kill someone off, then he should. It’s his series and creation. It’s his to do with as he pleases but…yeah. [/shrug]

Thank you for informing me! I was a little confused, haha.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff