Annie 0.067434210526316 6.7% [ 41 ]
Bertholdt 0.016447368421053 1.6% [ 10 ]
Reiner 0.019736842105263 2.0% [ 12 ]
Other 0.13815789473684 13.8% [ 84 ]
Total Votes:[ 608 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 38 39 40 > >>

Tenauri's Significant Otter

Loyal Codger

Hi everyone! I haven’t made a thread here in…well, forever.

Anyway, I wanted to start a topic to talk about a series y’all probably know (and are possibly sick of): Attack on Titan. Because I have no one to chat with it about personally. None of my friends watch or read it; this has left me to spazz about it all by my lonesome with the occasional passing fan, like at the bookstore last week. I don’t know if a thread has been made for the topic already. It probably has but I took a quick peek and I didn’t see one (not including the threads discussing just first watching it).

I want to discuss about the series in general—the anime, the manga, the spin-offs—all of it!
        Everything from:
              The characters
              The story
              The art
              What you like and don’t like
              What you love
              What you hate
              Your favorite ships
              Crack ideas and theories
        And so on and so forth. Because talking about these things is fun!

Be respectful please: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unfortunately I’m aware that fans and the various series’ fandoms can be frightening and downright terrifying—I know. I’ve been bitten by more than just a few (probably why I’ve shied away from this forum for so long). But please be respectful of everyone in this thread that decides to show up! I don’t care if you don’t like a pairing they mentioned, or a theory they have, or whatever. That’s fine for you to not like it but you don’t have to be a jerk about it. Everyone likes what they like, just respect that! We’re all fans (to some degree) here and we should all understand and accept each other’s feelings and not bash each other because they don’t like what we like or because they have a different opinion. Let’s just discuss the series.

I don’t mind spoilers or discussing things that happen later in the series. But let’s, for the sake of others, label them and put them in spoiler tags. Okay?
        For those that don't know how to use spoiler tags, you do it like this:
        [spoiler] (whatever you'd like to say here) [/spoiler]

I know I can’t force people to use spoiler tags. So be warned that throughout the thread that there are spoilers!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.How I got into the series: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That said. I guess I’ll attempt to start a discussion of this topic.

Originally when Attack on Titan came out, I didn’t understand everyone’s obsession with it. My tumblr dashboard was suddenly overflowing with pictures and things I didn’t understand and my dA was beginning to look the same way. The anime and manga didn’t look interesting to me at all. So I utterly ignored it, as this is the kind of series I don’t typically watch (I’m strangely picky and weird about my anime and manga). But as the series began to further and I was exposed to it more whether I liked it or not, I eventually caved. I told myself: “Fine. I’m going to watch a few episodes and see what everyone is SO excited about! Jeez.”

Three to four episodes later? I’m in love.
        At the time I believe the series was only ten or so episodes in. Once I marathoned the rest of them, I ran to find the manga as I couldn’t wait a week for the next episode to come out through the streaming. So for two nights I read the Attack on Titan manga and just utterly immersed myself into it. Everything I had been seeing on tumblr and dA finally started to make sense and I found the fans of this series in particular were magnificent. The art and the stories that were showing up on my dashboard were spectacular. I think that’s what really settled it for me, even if I liked the idea of the story in general once I learned more about it.

So that’s how I got into the series personally. What about the rest of y’all?
        I’m curious as to how you got into it and all that other jazz.

My favorite female character: Annie Leonhardt
        My favorite male character: I can’t really say. I have too many I like to pick a favorite.

Uhm. I guess that’s all I really have to say at the moment. I don’t want to scare too many off with making this more of a novel than it already is. Orz.

Familiar Trickster

I have the manga (1 to 7) but I need to find time to watch the anime.

Loyal Codger

I’ve been reading the series online but I recently saved up enough to buy a good bulk of the series.
        Haha, I splurged and bought volumes 1 through 10 a little over a week ago (I need to find time to re-read these volumes). I didn’t realize they had that many out already! I’m impressed with how quickly the manga has been coming over to the States.

A worker at the bookstore also told me that A Choice with no Regrets would be coming to the States soon as well. So I’m quite excited about that too. :)

Personally I found the anime interesting and not too shabby. I really enjoyed the opening themes and animations for the series as well. That was probably my favorite part; though, there is definitely more blood to this series than I’m used to in the anime I watch, haha.

Do you have any particular expectations, theories, or things you’d like to see in or of the anime, Puckeroo?

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
A friend recommended it to me!
I was kind of scared at first because a mod had placed a picture of a mod holding a sign that read "Gay".
Found myself drawn to Mikasa cause she look so Bad a** even as a little girl whee

Loyal Codger

I’ve been recommending it to a lot of my friends but none have seemed to have taken the time to watch (or read) it yet.
        Well, two have but I can’t get them to really talk about it with me. Orz.

A mod had a sign that read “gay” on it? Maybe I don’t quite get the reference here…

Mikasa is a good character. I’m interested to see what else she will do throughout the series; though, she is far from my favorite.
        Annie is my favorite female character followed closely by Hanji. :)

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sonpi-Chan

I’ve been recommending it to a lot of my friends but none have seemed to have taken the time to watch (or read) it yet.
        Well, two have but I can’t get them to really talk about it with me. Orz.

A mod had a sign that read “gay” on it? Maybe I don’t quite get the reference here…

Mikasa is a good character. I’m interested to see what else she will do throughout the series; though, she is far from my favorite.
        Annie is my favorite female character followed closely by Hanji. :)

The description was replaced by the picture...

Loyal Codger

Mahzuki

Oh, okay! Haha, I get it now.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sonpi-Chan
Mahzuki

Oh, okay! Haha, I get it now.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Another mod changed it and made one of the tags "Yaoi"
Made me laugh so hard rofl

Loyal Codger

Mahzuki

Pfft~ Silly mods.
    Regardless of that, did you enjoy the series after giving it a chance?
    I mean, did the whole "mods changing descriptions and tags" sway your thoughts on the series or give you any kind of expectations towards it?
    Or was Mikasa the only thing you really enjoyed about the series?

(Sorry, I'm trying to discuss this series and failing miserably)

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sonpi-Chan
Mahzuki

Pfft~ Silly mods.
    Regardless of that, did you enjoy the series after giving it a chance?
    I mean, did the whole "mods changing descriptions and tags" sway your thoughts on the series or give you any kind of expectations towards it?
    Or was Mikasa the only thing you really enjoyed about the series?

(Sorry, I'm trying to discuss this series and failing miserably)

I wasn't affected by the mods. A friend recommended it to me because I like underdog scenerios.
And Mikasa was the main reason I kept coming back.. just to see how much butt she was going to kick! 3nodding whee

Loyal Codger

Mahzuki

Glad to hear you still checked it out because a friend recommended it to you!
    I know some people are put off by mods being silly/playful and misleading tags.

Mikasa is an awesome character and surprisingly good at everything she does. I find it interesting.
    Still can't wait to see what else she'll get to do in the series though. Should prove to be most entertaining...
    [/bounces] I wish the next chapter would update now. But I still have to wait. Orz.
    Guess that just means it is time to re-read the volumes I bought, haha.
i heard about the series here and there, and finally watched it long after the hype on it subsided.(only about a month ago) i have to say its become a contender for one of my all time favorites!! its absolutely fantastic. i love everything about it.The animation is vivid and fluid, not to mention diperate from all others before it. I find myself connecting with the characters on an almost personal level. i feel the fear and nervous anticipation when they are frightened. I panic when i think someone is about to die (something i almost never do when it comes to most anime) not to mention Im drawn into the story. the fight for human survival where WE are now the ones no longer the dominant species and finally becoming prey. and the will of certain characters is incredible. The will to survive,the will to fight back, the will to sacrifice,etc. I was absolutely satisfied on every level!! ive never been so invested into an anime all the way through. I blew through the anime in 2 days. im a drop dead die hard fan <33 but Havent read the manga yet though sweatdrop
have you ever play attack on titan game on fenglee? it is a flash browser game but epicly awesome. You play as eren(which could transform into titan), levi,armin,and mikasa. Only tooks few minutes to play this game, if you havent play this game, try it. but if you have play it tell me your opinion,, btw i love how no mercy this anime is,. so horror to see a titan ate a person with smile on his face.
I got into the anime because EVERYONE on tumblr was talking about it, and Free! was over so I needed something to fill the empty void it left behind, haha. I really love the story, the animations (Dem 3D move gears @_@) and the characters. I like Erin and Mikasa and Armin but i think my favorite character is Levi just cause of what the fandom has done with him xD

Loyal Codger

paradoxsys

I agree with you on so many levels! The story is rather unique (in my opinion) and I think that’s why I like it so much. The anime series I typically watch do not have what’s left of humanity fighting for survival and looking for a way to make life better. So I do like this take on the overall story and a lot of the characters are likable. While you hate some you just can’t help but like others. It also feels along the lines of real so the characters are easier to connect to since they are just ordinary people with no super powers (excluding Eren and you know who not naming names, don’t want to spoil anything for those who haven’t seen that far yet; with the whole Titan thing).

It’s nice to have ordinary people that can and will die in a series. Sure I don’t like it when some of my favorites die; there are times I wish that everyone would live and be happy. But that just solidifies the realness I think is trying to be portrayed—that not everyone is invincible and sometimes good people die and they don’t necessarily die for the greater good; they just die and their death means nothing. Usually it ends up fueling someone in the series to do better and survive but overall, they were “sacrificed” for no reason that we can see.

Oh I highly recommend the manga. It is excellent and lets you see things more in-depth than the anime does. Though I enjoyed the anime (despite the changes from the manga) because I like to hear the voices they put to characters. And these ones, I feel, were spot-on! Plus, like you said, the animations were quite gorgeous and very eye catching. Even if some of the Titan designs made me laugh.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff