Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 am
I N T R O D U C T I O N x S O L O
Daybreak

It was the perfect time of day again.

Even though a thick covering of leaves shaded him from overhead, Lerin could still tell. It was in the way the blossoming rays of the sun caressed the leaves above. How soft, faintly green shadows were cast down on him. How sprinkles of pollen caught the light and shimmered like sparkles all around. The dark-haired shifter smiled, and tucked a strand of hair behind his ear. Mornings like these were perfect. He could only thank the gods that they gifted him with a sunny daybreak every so often, rather than the looming clouds that dominated most mornings. He leaned back in the nook of the tree and sighed contentedly.

Below him stretched the rainforest, aglow with luminescent fungi and alive with the sounds of animals and plants rustling about below. If he really squinted through the greenery, he could just make out the nests and hammocks of his fellow clan mates. A few of them would be rising soon to greet the sun, while others were just starting to hunker down to sleep the day away. But not Lerin. He wanted the best of both worlds. If he could, he'd be awake to greet the sun in the morning, and then again in the evening to sing it to sleep and herald the rising moon. The beautiful patterns of light that danced through the greenery were thanks enough.

It did lead to a rather strange sleep system, though.

"Are you still awake, son?" The voice came from below. Even when Lerin peeked off the edge of his branch, he couldn't see the speaker, but the voice was familiar enough that he didn't need to.

"Yeah, Da. Still am." Lerin answered with a roll of his eyes. His old man must be getting ready to head to bed. Probably for the best since the young Shifter's mother would be rising soon. The two adults didn't ever really want to deal with each other, let alone sleep together.

"Well, don't stay up there if you get too tired. Don't need you falling or anything." The faint rustling of his old man climbing into a hammock reached his ears, and Lerin sighed out softly. Falling? Even if he did doze a bit, he wouldn't fall far before the branches caught him. Lerin slipping from the branch was falling to his demise was a quite fear of his father for several years now... Ever since Lerin had shut his eyes for just a moment, and managed to wobble from the branch. He'd woken up with enough time to latch onto the thick bark and pull himself up, so no damage done. But when the youngster told what he assumed was a humorous story over dinner, neither of the adults had found it particularly amusing...

Well, whatever. He knew better now.

After what could have only been a few minutes, the morning colors started to fade. The sparkles dimmed, and only a thick morning mist was left in their wake. The sun was turning hotter, and with that, the fresh drops of water lining the leaves began to evaporate, coating the forest in a warm, sticky haze. It probably wouldn't be long before a few clouds formed and deposited their loads on the canopy.

And that meant it was time to head lower in the trees, where the sun didn't burn quite as hotly, resulting in more comfortable temperatures and only the dim lighting of the fungi. The strange shroom shined best at this time of day, when the mist refracted the light so wonderfully. So it was the perfect time to spot them and collect their luminescent spores for his painting. He'd have to wait until it was light again to actually use it, of course, but maybe after collecting, he'd be able to nap for an hour or two. Mm, yes, that sounded good.

Let the day begin.

x
x

Results: The start of Lerin's day.
Word Count: 653

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:04 am
P R P x R E F L E C T I O N
Silver Flowers

On my travels today, I met a blind Alkidike woman. Would you believe it? A blind Alkidike? What must her sisters think of her? Does she fight as one of their warriors still? I know most Alkidikes are not great at magic, but whatever her injury, no one could heal it... It must have been very painful. Life-changing, even. She seems strong, though. I doubt I could go through the same thing with so much confidence...

But perhaps... she isn't a warrior. Our meeting turned into a transfer of information, and I ended up bringing her to the place I collect resin to preserve things. I admit I'm a little wary of showing her, since she's not me, but I didn't want to offend her by saying anything aloud.

She's an Alkidike, daughter of the tree, Aisha. So surely she won't do any unnecessary harm to the place, anyway. The sprite she had with her, Peyla, seemed a good judge of character, so if anything, I can rely on the little winter creature's judgement. Dyakida didn't seem... expressly rude. Perhaps one day, we'll be able to meet again. And maybe things will be less tense next time. I know it's hard to interact with someone fundamentally different...

Results: Met Dyakida.
PRP Posts: 12
JR Word Count: 207

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:13 pm
C L A S S x A F F I N I T Y x S O L O
Tandoori

The day had been crap. Complete and utter crap. Coming from Lerin, that meant something.

He'd been woken by his parents sometime during the night. Despite how loud they'd been, his foggy mind hadn't picked up every word of the conversation, but insults had been slung about. "Unappreciative, scuzzy, degenerate arsewipe" and "useless, clumsy hoemonger" among them. Looking back, it probably would've been almost comical if he'd been fully awake to appreciate it. But during one of his precious naps, it was borderline infuriating. Lerin was not a sloth. He didn't sleep much. So when he did coerce himself into a nap, he certainly didn't want to be roused by needless screeching.

Unable to return to sleep after that, Lerin had climbed through the thick branches of the trees to settle on his high perch that had the most beautiful of views. From there he could see straight up to the sky, framed by deep green leaves and the occasional flower. The moon had already traveled out of his frame, but the inky sky still held swirls of blues and deep purples and tiny splodges of starlight. The sight had a way of raising his hopes. Usually. But not today. As he moved to set up his supplies, Lerin had noted with annoyance that he was already painfully low on many of his colors. Even his leaf stamps and his brushing vines needed to be replaced.

And that meant the whole day needed to be devoted to obtaining new materials, and no time devoted to unwinding after his rude awakening. He knew the locations for everything he needed, but he'd need to travel... His tribe either actively ate or thoughtlessly ruined everything nearby, especially the vibrant berries he mushed up and used for color.

He'd found himself on the forest floor, straying farther and farther from home. He supposed he should have considered it a blessing that he didn't meet any predators, Alkidikes, or even other Shifters, but somehow it only reminded him how weary everyone was of the battles that had been waged. Obans could be hiding anywhere, and not even the beasts of the forest wanted to engage in a battle against the Fire Nations strange creatures.

In any event, the trek had been almost a complete waste of his time. He'd managed to collect leaves and fronds, but when it came to actual colors, he seemed to be out of luck. His usual stores had been raided by one animal or another, leaving only rotted and discolored berries behind in their wake. There were other berries, poisonous ones, but Lerin tried to avoid those in the off chance that a youngster would see them on his perch and try to make a snack of them. Or in somewhat more likely event that Lerin would forget and chew on his finger while he was working. He didn't want to die from doing something he enjoyed, after all. That would almost makes the paints seem traitorous, somehow.

That brought Lerin to where he was now, sulking as he ambled sourly back toward his home. If this was how the day was going to go, then he should probably just crawl back into his nest and ignore everything else until the sun rose the next day. It was a long time to do nothing, but-

"Peew!"

The Shifter lad paused and looked around, his long dark hair swaying gently behind him. It was a peculiar noise. It almost sounded like... a bird, but he honestly couldn't name one native to this forest that made a sound like that. Lerin swallowed. He didn't pretend to know all the beasts that lived here, but he'd like to think he could at least recognize familiar calls. He glanced down to his pale silver fingers. In this blackness of forest floor, his pale skin would stand out even to someone who wasn't adapted to the vision... He shook his head stiffly. He was probably just being paranoid. The days events had left him in a mood that could only anticipate bad things, but surely it was nothing.

"Peew!"

He was probably only imagining that it sounded closer, but the noise sent a shiver down his spine, nonetheless. Through no conscious action of his own, his fingers moved up to rub at the petals of his flower pin. "Hello?" He called out uncertainly.

There was only a slight pause before two more chirps rang through the air. Lerin didn't speak animal, but the calls almost sounded... desperate? It could be a trick. All kinds of beasts had hunting mechanisms that would be useful to draw in unsuspecting prey like that... Especially in these times, when nothing wanted to blindly leap into the open. Another chirp, a soft plea. Something really could be hurt and needing him. With any luck, if it was an enemy, he could maneuver quickly enough that he could escape. Though previous events in the day didn't lead him to believe he had much luck.

He'd already made himself known. There was no reason to try and slink through the brush like an assassin. Instead, with a solidifying gulp of air, Lerin strolled bravely toward the sound. It was a tiny noise, so it couldn't have been very far. Just a few swaying branches pushed to the side, a few leaves rustled, a few more chirps to help guide him, and Lerin was on top of it.

On top of the murky, mud-covered wad making the sounds. It shifted a bit, reminding the shifter of when he poked gelatinous tree-sap. And then a pair of large green orbs were on him. Another chirp. The blob shuddered with the effort. It seemed harmless. Big, innocent eyes like that? Lerin knelt down, slowly extending an arm to give it a hesitant poke. It quivered, but didn't chirp again, instead it winced, and turned away from him.

Whatever it was was coated in a thick layer of ooze and grime. It appeared to be mostly mud, but under that, the tangy, iron odor of blood reached him. "Oh, you're definitely hurt..." Lerin murmured, reaching out to wipe some of the mud from above the creatures eyes. He thought he identified orange under all the grime, but the darkness made it hard to tell for certain... And were those... feathers? So yes, it was a bird. With big green eyes, thick orange feathers... A kinfa? A very small one, perhaps. But what was it doing here?

Kinfa weren't native to Juahar, and if the poor thing was this deep in the forest, it couldn't have been by accident... But this one was hurt and needed help. "Okay, little guy." Lerin knelt to carefully wedge his hands between the kinfa and the ground. It shucked from the mud with a loud 'pop!' and then chirped pitifully as it's bones were jarred. It was heavy, and slippery with grime, and Lerin knew he had to carry it or they'd get nowhere.

The young Shifter didn't even try to make it far. It was a rainforest. There was water everywhere. So long as he could make it to a nearby stream, he could at least rinse the creature off and see what was ailing it. It sure was docile, though. He'd never known a wild animal to allow itself to be treated like this, injured or not. Oh well. If it was being good, then he shouldn't complain. But he certainly couldn't get to that stream fast enough.

When he did, he nearly dropped his tiny burden into it. It huffed and glowered at him, but didn't try to attack him for his blunder. Instead, it slowly began to preen at the edge of the clear water. Lerin help by softening the thicker clumps of mud and shearing it away in large globs. After only a few moments, the Shifter noted how the creature favored its right side, and once the mud was cleared almost entirely away, he could see why.

The wing was torn and bent at an awkward angle. It seemed to have mostly scabbed over, so Lerin was forced to assume it had already endured days with no help. "Ooh, little one," he chided softly, giving its head an apologetic pet for the rather rough treatment of earlier.

It would have to be fixed. He'd never seen anyone reset the wing of a kinfa, and he doubted anyone in his tribe had, either. He'd just have to do it himself. The bird was forgiving enough that it would probably welcome the attention. He spent a few more minutes making it as clean as he possibly could, paying special attention to the wing area to clear as much as he could from it while being as careful as possible.

Once both he and the kinfa were satisfied with its cleanliness, it hopped from the water and puffed its feathers out, giving a shake to dry itself. When Lerin extended an arm, it obediently pounced on top of him, significantly lighter than it had been before. "You were someone's pet, weren't you?" He questioned as it ambled up to perch on his shoulder. "It's the only reason I can think of for why you'd be so lenient with an Earthling. Maybe you even hatched with someone, so it's all you've ever known. Still so small..." He rubbed its plush chest feathers as he walked.

Obviously it didn't answer his questions, but it hardly needed to. It was a trained pet. And when it had gotten hurt so badly, it- she, as Lerin had noted while cleaning her, had been carelessly discarded to the wilds. And that was cruel. Lerin hated blood and pain, even if it wasn't inflicted on himself. This kinfa had a long way to go to recovery, but there were probably creatures who had met worse fates.

Lerin had never thought of himself as much of a fighter, but if he could spare these creatures from any pain, whether by dispatching them quickly himself, or even taking them under his wing, then wasn't it his duty to accomplish just that? His tribe would probably laugh at him for being weak-hearted, but if he could battle alongside these creatures, that would be worth it. He could protect them, if only he was a bit stronger.

The kinfa nipped at his ear, drawing his attention back to it. "Right. I'll call you Tandoori, and will care for you no matter what," he promised. "Now let's get that wing fixed up. And maybe a snack too."

x
x

Results: Saves a baby kinfa.
Word Count: 1758

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:02 am
New Friend

I didn't have ample chance to speak with Ikuri, which is such a shame. She's clearly a bright, beautiful, respectful young girl. Tandoori caught hold of her before I did, but she ended up having to depart pretty quickly. Too bad...

Results: Dead RP
PRP Posts: 3
JR Word Count: 41

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:59 pm
M E T A x R E F L E C T I O N
Chapter 6: Oban Camp lll The Final Battle

I thought surrendering would make things easier- make them end more quickly. This is what my mother told me, anyway. I believed her because... why shouldn't I? It is a bit distressing to know that she was fine with being separated and enslaved, but I suppose I inherited my passion (or lack thereof) from her. I wasn't worried, or maybe it's better described as "I didn't care." There is nothing for me to cling to in this land, no source of passion save for what I could get anywhere.

I didn't have a goal when I surrendered, I didn't have one when the Resistance rose up and recaptured the prisoners, and I find... that I still don't have one. Tendaji was victorious. I want to be happy about it. I know there will be much singing, dancing and other camaraderie amongst Tendaji's families tonight. And I also know that I won't be part of it. For all the use I've given anyone, I don't deserve to be.

Results: +1 Versatile Point, +5 Loyalist Tokens, +1 Healer's Accolade, +1 Physician's Bane, +1 Fetish, +1 Journal; Lerin's first experience out of the village is not a positive one.
META Posts: 12
JR Word Count: 167

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:18 pm
Words of Wisdom

It seems like being captured was harder on some people than it was on others. I myself have nothing to fight for, nothing of value or importance to return to, and no real reason to be anywhere. I may have people who care about me, but certainly not anyone who needs me.

I think Senja does, though. She has a true gift nestled between her hips. A little baby, a true miracle, despite what has happened to her. Senja has a reason to keep going, a reason to be happy, and a family who will care for her. And that... I'm not jealous per se, but... I wouldn't mind having... something like that. One day. I suppose I should find a use for myself before I place that burden on anyone, though. For now, I shall return home with Tandoori. We'll sort ourselves out, somehow, and find a path that suits us.

Results: Spoke with Senja.
PRP Posts: 11
JR Word Count: 152

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:32 pm
Something Precious

LERIN'S THOUGHTS

Results: ???
PRP Posts: ???
JR Word Count: ???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:32 pm
D E V E L O P M E N T A L x S O L O
Makui

After his encounters with the ladies Senja and Lanwezi, Lerin almost felt...hesitant about returning home. It wasn't that he didn't like his family or didn't appreciate his tribe or didn't want to be back in the familiar lands, it was just... There had to be something more; somewhere he could be of use; somewhere he wouldn't live his life out as a mundane and very repetitive ritual. But where? With who? Why? How? Was he evenready to live on his own? Others had done it at younger ages, but they'd trained with actual weapons. Unlike Lerin, who only practiced with a paintbrush.

From his shoulder, Tandoori 'cheep!'ed in his ear, tucking her beak beneath the strands of his hair so she could nibble at Lerin's earlobe without any hindrances. For a moment, the young Shifter thought his bird companion had grown bored and was eager to play. But the way her wings parted from her body, the way she roughly pinched at his skin (hard enough to make him gasp and wince and yelp as he continued to move ahead), and the way her feathers stood on end made him think twice. "Doori, you- Stop-! Ow!" Lerin squealed as the hand he'd raised to nudge her beak away from him was promptly chomped by the smaller creature. She bounced slightly on his shoulder, one good wing batting and swaying and ruffling him. "What's gotten into..?"

He trailed off as, through the thickening trees, a low dissatisfied rumble drifted toward them. Doori's struggles ceased, and she tucked her feathered body as low against him as possible, covering her eyes against a shroud of dark hair. Seconds later, the growls erupted into a series of low barks; harsh, jarring, and emanating from only a few paces ahead. It would've sounded outright violent and horribly terrifying, if there wasn't some strange sense of... temperance to them...?

Lerin wasn't completely unfamiliar with a radaku's bark, considering he'd shared territory with them all his life. It didn't keep him from being nervous as he approached, but it certainly wasn't enough to keep him away.

As he drew nearer, the sounds became louder. Coupled with them entered the slightly higher sounds of an Earthling's voice, accented by the thunderous 'crack!' of what Lerin could only recognize as a whip. Distaste welled in his throat as the young Shifter came into view of a small party of Obans and a rattled radaku, chained by the neck and tied to a nearby tree. The aqua-furred creature spat at them, howled, and thrashed against its restraints. Each time it barred its teeth, it was rewarded with a lash right over the top of its shoulders.

And each time the whip cracked, Lerin could practically feel it singeing his skin. The radaku let out a low whimper with every strike, but was quick to rise again. Wild, independent, unbroken. Lerin swallowed. To be so fearless in the face of what looked like a hopeless situation to him, an onlooker...

Steeling his resolve, he stepped out of the cover of trees and approached the small conglomeration of Fire earthlings. "Hey!" Lerin snapped, trying to keep his voice from quivering. "What business do you have with that radaku? It's clearly wild and obviously isn't going to adapt so well to your... method of treatment. Let it go!"

Three pairs of red eyes turned on him, pinning Lerin with some mixture of distaste and amusement. The Shifter expected they were merely amused at the laughability of some random lad approaching them and telling them what to do. "The burly man with the whip gave the snarling creature a hot-tempered lash as his gaze met Lerin's. "Got something against training animals, boy?" he demanded in a rough baritone. "This here radaku fell into one of our traps. Our traps. Our radaku. Get it?"

Lerin's tongue snaked out to whet his lips. "Yes, but... You're just hurting it for no reason. This isn't training. It's abuse."

"Seems a fine line."

"Perhaps, but that doesn't excuse your behavior! It hasn't done anything worth-"

The first man jerked his thumb back at another. "Bit my mate's arm nearly clean off. 'S deserving of a little punishment, I think." He raised the whip again, and somewhere between the time after Lerin winced and the time the blow actually landed, the young Shifter was tossing himself forward with a shriek.

"Stop!"

The man lurched forward, grabbing Lerin's arm and sending a curling sense of dread lancing through the thin boy. With hardly any effort at all, he was plucked up and tossed to the ground, landing heavily on his knees scant inches from the snapping radaku's jaws. At some point, Tandoori had toppled from his shoulder, landing in a feathery heap on the ground. While Lerin busily scrambled backward from pointed teeth (with no assistance from the Obans), his flighty companion hopped to where the beast was tied.

Not that Lerin paid Doori any mind. When he finally felt he'd moved a safe distance away, a boot nestled right between his shoulder blades sent him careening forward again. The radaku yowled and dove for him. Out of some sense of self preservation, Lerin's arm snapped out, desperately hooking in the fur at the side of the radaku's neck and forcing all the strength he could muster behind not letting it chomp into his face. It thrashed, spat. Lerin held his breath, sucking in his stomach and twisting his head to the side out of a great deal of fear.

When the beast ripped free of his hold, he slammed his eyes shut, wondering if those Obans were really going to jeer and chortles as a wild animal shredded a boy. Instead of teeth on his face, though, he felt paws, rushed and heavy; one landing in his gut, another his chest, and a third hitting the ground right next to his ear. The snarling stopped, and, still holding his breath, Lerin's eyes creaked open.

When he tipped his head back, the radaku was disappearing between the trees, still dragging the heavy chain with it. The Obans were shouting and howling and running immediately after it. And Doori was sitting near the tree, wings ruffled and leering after the men with no small amount of indignity. Lerin sucked in a breath, relieved to find that his lungs still worked and he still felt pain and the world was still visible.

But there was no time to celebrate. He rose quickly, dove to scoop Doori up in his arms and then spun to chase after the men. "C'mon!" he whispered to his companion as Doori sidled up to alight on his shoulder again. "We have to stop them, stark-raving mad assholes that they are!" If they caught that poor thing again, it'd surely suffer an exceptionally painful end, for sure. Especially since it had ruined the fun of watching a little Shifter boy be eaten.

Some people were truly disgusting.

x
x

Results: Encounters Makui the radaku and a band of rather vile Obans.
Word Count: 1161

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:17 am
C L A S S x Q U E S T x R E F L E C T I O N
Class Quest 1

The chase continued as I expected it to; predators chasing prey. I know in the wild there are plenty of creatures who kill for food, over territory, or out of simple boredom. But we, as Earthlings, are sentient. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard than simple animals. And this, unfortunately, was not something these Obans seemed to be capable of doing. They were incredibly violent and ridiculously one-track minded. Attacking the radaku, getting me out of the way... This is all they thought when they chased us.

Which is weird. If they were going to be stubborn, I should have expected the same sort of attitude from the base creature I was traveling with, but even he was much more thoughtful. Sort of. I fed him meat strips to get him to follow me. He was clearly exhausted, but since they couldn't reach of in the trees, there was no real reason to rush into anything carelessly.

In the end, I was able to divert them with a wadani nest. I... don't know for certain if they all escaped alive or if... if... Well, there's nothing to be done about it now. I'm safe, Doori's safe, the radaku is safe. I freed it from its chains before it fled, so hopefully it knows of somewhere peaceful to rest and heal.

Results: Class Quest passed; saves a radaku from Obans.
Word Count: 2273
JR Word Count: 222

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:00 am
H U N T x R E F L E C T I O N
We Meet Again

It's strange, but somehow I feel... better about the day. No, more than that- about life in general. I was never distinctly upset, just lacking purpose, I think. And now, even if what I want to do isn't beneficial to anyone else, I think I am satisfied with where I stand. I am a Beast Charmer. I want to study and learn from my animal companions. I wish to see and experience new things and travel to new places and learn all I can.

For now, it is enough to have Tandoori by my side and to traipse Juahar seeking out flocks of nondwa or packs of radaku so that I may observe them. Even today, I found new things: a nondwa inactive at night and... something else too.

A radaku family. A new radaku family. A mother had just given birth two two pups; beautiful silvery things. The father was Makui, the radaku I'd saved, previously. He was as excited to see me as ever. Even if I only caught a glimpse of their family, the insight was still wonderful. Even if they are proud hunters, they still show protectiveness over their families... Makui in particular expressed much violence when I came too close. But perhaps if they do make their den so close to my home, I will see them again...

Results: +56 EXP
Word Count: 1127
JR Word Count: 223

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:38 pm
I'm Not a Stalker

I'm not usually at odds with Tandoori, but she was being quite unreasonable today. If she'd have been more manageable, and I'd been able to bring her along, she probably could've been an asset to me when I ran into the radaku family again (I say "ran into" as though I wasn't searching for them. Don't get me wrong; I was). But she decided to be difficult and stayed behind at the hut.

I really could've used her help out there. With my cunning, I was able to get the mother radaku away from one of the pups. The tiny thing was, of course, very disinterested in me, to the point where I wasted our brief time together just standing aside and trying to placate it (to little avail). It snarled and snapped, and even tried to leave a nice tooth imprint on my finger. I feel like if another animal had been there (like my dear kinfa), the infant would've at least shown a little more interest...

Alas, it wasn't to be. In only a few moments, the mother gave a call, and off it went. My studies continue.

Results: +85 EXP
Word Count: 987
JR Word Count: 190

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:08 pm
Tribe of Pups

My parents are slowly becoming less enthused with my lack of contribution toward the tribe. I didn't set out to be a particularly useful person, and I understand that they're saddened that I can't do something of greater value to our family, but I'm happy observing the radaku and the nondwa and the other creatures that inhabit our home. My happiness should be enough for them. And if one day, perhaps in the near future, my happiness takes me out of Juahar, they should respect that too.

For now, though, I have the radaku. My usual family was joined today by a small, yet apparently welcome outsider. I'd never seen the pup that joined my bunch, but it didn't seem unwelcome. It played with Makui's children, stayed out of the parents' ways, and they allowed it.

Fascinating.

Once they'd parted ways, my curiosity led me to follow it. Makui has always disliked and not fully trusted me, but this pup was far worse, I think. It yapped, howled, snarled. Makui could at least be baited with food, even after being beaten and exhausted, but not think thing... I didn't get to see its true family, though. I wonder if it has one. If it doesn't, how does it survive alone? My focus is still on Makui and his pups, but if this little one comes around again, concessions will be made to allot further study.

Results: +85 EXP
Word Count: 1009
JR Word Count: 235

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:11 am
B A T T L E x R E F L E C T I O N
[Juahar] Liira vs Lerin

(N/A - NRP battle)

Results: Won the battle.
Word Count: N/A
JR Word Count: N/A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:44 am
Litter Center

I met with Dyakida again today. I am still astounded at how capable she is, despite her injury. Or... well, I'm not entirely sure how she came to be blinded, so perhaps not an injury, at all. Though, the point is, she can't see, but that doesn't stop her. She was still out in the forest on her own, presumably collecting supplies for weapon crafting.

She must be a very talented woman. Though... Perhaps not in the way most Alkidike are. I think if I was in danger and needed assistance from one of my friends for protective purposes, I would not likely choose her.

But that is fine, I think, as she really wouldn't do well to choose me, either.

Though I've been watching radaku for weeks now, I still wasn't very much help when we came face-to-face with a pack of them. An angry pack. They likely only wanted to chase us off, but as two-leggers, we are, unfortunately, not faster than them. Our familiars leaped in to save us, and we were briefly alarmed that they wouldn't return. But everything turned out well enough, in the end. No one was too much worse for wear.

Results: +166 EXP
Word Count: 2511
JR Word Count: 198

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

Fluffesu

Fluff Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:51 am
D E V E L O P M E N T A L x S O L O
Mother Knows Best

It was, admittedly, quite late when Lerin returned home most evenings ('returned home' was said loosely, as he rarely strayed especially far beyond his village's outskirts to begin with; never more than two hours' trek). Today was no exception. The sky was already dark, leaving everything beneath Jauhar's leafy canopy bathed in a nearly-unfathomable blackness. This abyssal gloom lent itself to a certain degree of wariness that most people didn't take to when approaching something as familiar as 'home.' But the rainforests Lerin called home were filled with danger. Such was the lesson he'd been taught from a very young age.

Always be alert. Always be watchful. Trust nothing. Be afraid. So even in the general safety of the village perimeter, Lerin abided by that thought. Even accustomed to this darkness as he was, his silvery gaze still had no hope of making out the finer details (or even the not-so-fine ones) of what lurked among the foliage. And for all his village's resentment and mistrust of anything or anyone that wasn't a Shifter of their tribe, there was much to be on the lookout for.

He didn't think it pertained quite as strongly to his actual living quarters, that he shared with his mother and father. The chance of all of them being out of their canopy hut was slim, so it seemed like the odds of intruders were quite low.

So when Lerin reached the top rung of the ladder leading into his abode and was greeted not with the familiarity of his parents' bickering, but instead with the quiet murmurings of a decidedly unfamiliar voice, it gave him pause. Not the sort of pause where he stopped to wonder curiously of a thing (curiosity was dangerous), but the kind that was laced with agitation and certainty that the worst thing imaginable was happening.

It could be Alkidike pushing forward once more, claiming lands that they'd previously left unoccupied. It could be bandits going to or coming from any number of places (so any race of people) that had been fortunate enough to stumble upon a small, unnamed Shifter settlement. Easy pickings. It could be an entirely new variety of danger. Those were always cropping up.

Lerin was still, with half his body poking over the wooden threshold of his 'porch' and the other half ready to descend the ladder once more. Should he stay and approach? His parents could still be here. What if the needed him...? Should he flee? It wasn't as if he'd be of much help one way or another. If he interfered, he'd probably just be seen as another disposable obstacle. But if he left, perhaps he could find someone in their village that was more suitable to handling this task. Surely anyone would be better than him. He should leave.

He should.

But Lerin could not convince his body to act on the thought. He did not want to be useless. He did not want to be unnecessary. He did not want to be a coward-

By the time he'd reminded himself of his own personal aspirations, a second voice had joined the first, and he still hadn't moved. But at the quiet sound of his mother's soft whisper, Lerin found he was frozen for an entirely different reason. She didn't sound frightened or hurt or alarmed, but instead encouraging and- And... sneaky.

"-a pleasure to see you, as always. Hopefully our next meeting will be sooner rather than later." There were more quiet rumblings from what certainly sounded like a man now. Fabric shifting, soft breaths, footsteps.

Another bolt of alarm shot through Lerin. He couldn't imagine any scenario in which his mother or her friend would be pleased to see him half-on, half-off the ladder and in clear proximity to at least catch the drift of what they were saying. He didn't have the opportunity to scramble away before boots were in his vision. And attached to them... His gaze slowly swept upward as a brawny and definitely larger and scruffier than either Lerin or his father stepped forward. From his already-poor position, Lerin had to crane his head backward just to catch a glimpse of the man's face.

The older Shifter quirked him a brow, but otherwise didn't seem phased.

Lerin scrambled to haul himself up onto the wooden dock of their porch, off and away from the ladder that served as their only exit so that the man could take his leave. And as the stranger descended, hardly more than a foot from where Lerin now sat, unmoving and still quite alarmed, they didn't share words. The man didn't so much as look at him again.

It ought to have felt like he just escaped danger. There was no one uninvited in his house. No Alkidike, no bandits. No one was harmed as far as Lerin could tell. But it didn't feel that way. His eyes were still wide and his heart still thrummed like the chance of danger was still very real. Maybe even more so now. He didn't know that man, had never seen him. Their village was small, so even if Lerin didn't know everyone's name he was sure to have seen each of his tribe mates multiples times. He could recognize all of them.

Not that man.

"Lerin!" His mother's voice came as a soft hiss, completely different than the tone she'd taken with the stranger. She stood at the threshold to their hut, hands on her hips, silver eyes narrowed, and posture stiff. She hadn't expected him as much as he hadn't expected this. "You're only getting home now," she demanded. "It's late. It's dark. It's dangerous. I thought you were safe in your bed, and you-"

He knew not to interrupt. That was just common courtesy, but he wasn't a child. He'd been out at this hour many times of late, and he'd be hard-pressed to believe his mother didn't know that. If she wanted to be angry, he couldn't stop her. But it would not be because of a never-before-imposed curfew. "Who was that man?" He questioned, tone even lower than his mother's.

He was still on the ground, still lower and quieter than her, unobtrusive in every way, except for his accidental presence. Lerin could physically see her trying to sort out what to say to him, to decipher what all he knew, what he'd heard. "Mother's friend," she grunted passively.

There was more to say. There always was, and Lerin had a feeling his mother would not allow him into their home until they'd worked something out. He was no fool. Quiet, soft-spoken, and noncombative, yes, but not stupid. The rigidity in her posture, the pursing of her lips, the sourness of her expression... His mother had been caught doing something she oughtn't. And as much as Lerin didn't like the idea of what that thing was, he knew. Of course he knew.

He still couldn't convince himself to look at her when he asked, "Does Father know..?"

"No."

No. Why would he? Lerin's fingers curled into fists in the fabric of his sash, and he had to will himself not to reach for the soothing and reassuring petals of his hairpin flower. His parents were not on favorable terms with each other. He knew it. They knew it. Everyone knew it. But their community was one that didn't take any sort of oath lightly, particularly not any of the kind proclaimed to the gods. His parents didn't like each other. But they'd mutually agreed to stay together because this was their home, this was tradition, and this was what was right.

Lerin assumed it was a mutual agreement, anyway, if only because no one in his village would forgive any of this sort of adulterous behavior. If his parents wanted to continue living here, amidst friends and families that they'd known all their lives, they would stay together, and they would make do with life as it was, without wanting or needing more.

He still thought his father should know. It wasn't right for Caiaphus to have no idea this was happening, in his own home, no less. But it would ruin his mother. They were an unhappy bunch now, but it could be so much worse. And sometimes ignorance really was bliss.

Or as close to it as could be managed, in this situation.

It wasn't right. None of it was right. He understood his mother's perspective, of course. She wanted something happier, but... Both his parents were in the wrong. His village was in the wrong for either forcing them to stay together, or be shamed or banished from their village. But there was nothing to be done about it now. The situation was what it was, and if he could help it, Lerin would stay as far from it as could be managed.

"I won't tell him," he promised in a murmur. "If this will make you happy, if this will make life just a little more bearable for you, I won't tell him."

His mother moved from the doorway, toward him. Lerin still couldn't coerce himself to meet her gaze, but she didn't seem bothered by that. She dipped to his side, the blue fabric of her dress swishing and curling to brush against his leg. "You are a good boy, Lerin," she assured him in a dull hum, as her fingers combed through his hair. "Mother knows that there are so many difficult choices to make in the world. You are trying so hard. You are so brave."

Each word, every single one felt laden with such condescending ire that he couldn't believe any of it. He'd never point as much out to the woman before him, of course, but neither did he expect that things would get better from here. They weren't 'bonding' as mothers and sons did; she was just protecting herself. She always did...

"Thank you for keeping Mother's secret." She dusted a kiss to his forehead, stood languidly from her crouch, and strolled back inside, the end of her gown sweeping behind her.

She didn't look back to see her son, still sitting on their wooden deck, legs folded beneath him, fists bunched and lips pinched between his teeth, trying desperately to quell the foreboding sense of unease rolling through his chest.

x
x

Results: Lerin's mother is doing a bad.
Word Count: 1723

◈ Journals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items