Welcome to Gaia! ::

IRL Vampire

Valheita
That's all very well from a philosophical PoV, but it's not very helpful from a game-development PoV.

You can't make a simple flash game, and then say "if you play this for more than 700 hours, we'll make it even cooler". You need to consider how often players will play.

Hmm. Wonder if you could approach it mathematically. Would you say that 1-2 hours a day would be acceptable for a... low level addict/hardcore zOMG!er?

Oh, and the reason I choose the forums is 'cause I can access them from Uni. The computers there'd explode if I tried zOMG! >.<;;

I disagree with this sentiment actually. The game as it is now has about 2 weeks worth of content and is in desperate need for more, both for low level and endgame. The feature in question however adds complexity rather then actual content and is thus something that's confusing for low level players and nothing I would add into the first 10 CLs. I'm all for adding more content there, but not more complexity. Leave the complexity for high end content and hardcore players that are trying to reach the 500th wave in hive, or the 10kth wave in the colliseum (assuming it works somewhat like the hive). Considering that you can get well over 100 orbs in an hour or 2, 10k orbs isn't that much.

(oh, and when you're talking about gaming: 1-2 hours a day is casual... there are games that require you to play 12 hours + a day if you want to be considered hardcore)
Shima Shinji
10k orbs, for real? Holy hell, I hope I can pay in gold because I've been playing as soon as zOMG was released by join date, and I've never had more than 200 orbs. I actually use some of them on rings.

I mean, I used to be big s**t around here doing SS runs all over the place and popping out rings like candy from the Easter bunny, and my TCL is only a little over 7k.

10k orbs isn't horrible for zOMG! regulars, sure it's a large amount, but it's not bad. As for your own 200 orbs, that is a really low amount even for someone that actually uses them on rings (everyone uses them on rings, sweetie, it's when we are finished upgrading rings that they stack up, for someone who used to be 'big s**t around here,' you ought to know that); perhaps you aren't as addicted to zOMG! as others. It certainly seems like a fitting explanation for your lack of orbs.

Aside from that, a) it would be optional so if you don't like the price don't get it and b) not everything should be easy to obtain, certain perks should be challenges.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Aseres
This is an interesting idea as it would a) make orbs usable (along with using them as craft ingredients for the upcoming rare items) and b) add more of a tactical aspect to the game. It would have to be carefully balanced in order to not promote elitism too much. I'm not sure I like the idea of more then one of those skills being obtainable or usable at a time (you could for example, be able to obtain all these skills but only "equip" one at a time). (I'm all for rewarding super dedicated players mind you, but I don't want it to effect game play too much to guarantee newbie-friendliness).

I am also thinking it would make a good addition between Chapter 1 and 2. You have a point about complexity vs content which is actually why I am pandering this idea now. We are over our first hump as far as game goes and thus is the time to add something that can really help bring teams together over the next few chapters.

I am not too worried about elitism considering that these auras will only be as good as the team and buffs you bring. I can bring all the life leech I want but if nobody brings Keen Aye, Divinity, and some armor, we'll be dead before we can even crit.

The thing with a lot of my ideas is that they are based on the extrapolation of difficulty over multiple chapters. See, right now, this would be considered End Game content. However, I don't see it as such since we all know they are working on a Chapter 2 and other cities are mentioned. Unless they give up on the game, we are far, far from over. So I consider this to be the perfect time.

You've had your first big victory, story wise, now you need to lead and possibly learn new skills to help your team because it is a team effort. For soloers, they need a new edge to help even out the lack of extra hands. The name of leader aura still fits because sometimes all you lead in life is yourself and keeping yourself motivated is all the more important.

Ung: You're being stubborn based on your inexperience. People with short attention spans won't even notice they are missing something. People with short attention spans won't even have the orbs to get all their rings together. People with short attention spans will already be onto the new thing before I finish a sentence.

All the time you've burned telling me how hard it is, you could have been playing and earned over 700 orbs, easy. Think about it.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Shima Shinji
10k orbs, for real? Holy hell, I hope I can pay in gold because I've been playing as soon as zOMG was released by join date, and I've never had more than 200 orbs. I actually use some of them on rings.

I mean, I used to be big s**t around here doing SS runs all over the place and popping out rings like candy from the Easter bunny, and my TCL is only a little over 7k.

I challenge this statement.

I have two kids, a two year old and a five year old, as well as a wife. I have to pay for my own internet and home. Blah blah, nobody cares about my life. The point is that I don't play this game too horribly much. In fact, I maybe average 2-4 sessions per two weeks. If you count the times I've left the game entirely for a couple months at a time, I am actually behind.

I have over 50k in orbs. And that isn't even a big thing. If you play, you will get the orbs. I am not asking for a million orbs. I am not asking for 100k in orbs. Hell, with the step up idea of Syko's, we're probably looking at an evening out of prices to where the biggest overall aura will be 20k.

Orbs aren't a problem. Play More. I have my doubts that Chapter 2 is going to baby anybody. Also, if you don't like the price, don't buy.

Distinct Warlord

DeathWyrmNexus
Ung: You're being stubborn based on your inexperience. People with short attention spans won't even notice they are missing something. People with short attention spans won't even have the orbs to get all their rings together. People with short attention spans will already be onto the new thing before I finish a sentence.
All the time you've burned telling me how hard it is, you could have been playing and earned over 700 orbs, easy. Think about it.

Do you really think of me as an inexperienced player just because I don't play 24/7? sad
I've made my point, I don't need to say anything more. In the end it's choice of devs, who I doubt will make the cost that high anyway.

IRL Vampire

DeathWyrmNexus
Aseres
This is an interesting idea as it would a) make orbs usable (along with using them as craft ingredients for the upcoming rare items) and b) add more of a tactical aspect to the game. It would have to be carefully balanced in order to not promote elitism too much. I'm not sure I like the idea of more then one of those skills being obtainable or usable at a time (you could for example, be able to obtain all these skills but only "equip" one at a time). (I'm all for rewarding super dedicated players mind you, but I don't want it to effect game play too much to guarantee newbie-friendliness).

I am also thinking it would make a good addition between Chapter 1 and 2. You have a point about complexity vs content which is actually why I am pandering this idea now. We are over our first hump as far as game goes and thus is the time to add something that can really help bring teams together over the next few chapters.

I am not too worried about elitism considering that these auras will only be as good as the team and buffs you bring. I can bring all the life leech I want but if nobody brings Keen Aye, Divinity, and some armor, we'll be dead before we can even crit.

The thing with a lot of my ideas is that they are based on the extrapolation of difficulty over multiple chapters. See, right now, this would be considered End Game content. However, I don't see it as such since we all know they are working on a Chapter 2 and other cities are mentioned. Unless they give up on the game, we are far, far from over. So I consider this to be the perfect time.

You've had your first big victory, story wise, now you need to lead and possibly learn new skills to help your team because it is a team effort. For soloers, they need a new edge to help even out the lack of extra hands. The name of leader aura still fits because sometimes all you lead in life is yourself and keeping yourself motivated is all the more important.

Well, the problem with future chapters is that, right now, the game doesn't really have enough sucess to warrant the resources required to actually pump out a new complete chapter in the reasonably near future. Rally has more people logging into it daily and didn't take 4 years to complete. I don't like it, but I'm afraid "end-game" will stay end-game for a while, and the team will concentrate on adding content and features within the first 10 levels for a while to get more people to play. From what I've heard most people actually gave up during the old tutorial and village green gnome rapes, so it'll be important to give that crowd an incentive to find their way back into the game. It's a shame that Gaia has a tendency to release it's games too early (look at all the bs they're dealing with with ocean party...), zOMG has more potential then that :/
/rabble

I aggre though that it's important to add features to the game that take work. I've seen people in this thread complain that they're no where near the required orb count. Why would they be? What's the point in having a "quest" like that if you're already "there"? It's fun to work towards bettering your character, that's the main appeal of any mmo (and totally lacking in zOMG once you hit CL 10 and have a sufficient amount of rings max'd out).

IRL Vampire

Ungoliath
In the end it's choice of devs, who I doubt will make the cost that high anyway.

aah, you'd be surprised D: JK comes from L2 which is like THE hardcore game D: If he likes this idea (and I'll link it to him later because I'm curious to see what he thinks about it) he'll be like "THIS SHOULD TOTALLY REQUIRE 50k ORBS biggrin biggrin biggrin "... you have no idea what I've argued with him about craftable items costing millions of gold to craft, haha.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Ungoliath
DeathWyrmNexus

Do you really think of me as an inexperienced player just because I don't play 24/7? sad
I've made my point, I don't need to say anything more. In the end it's choice of devs, who I doubt will make the cost that high anyway.

No... I think of you as an inexperienced player because of your exaggeration and that you are complaining about the fact that I am telling you to play the game to get something.

Seriously dude. Somethings you have to earn and earning can take a while.

Pirra-chan's Significant Otter

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Why is everyone so irked over the aura's cost. I though one of the ideas was getting the aura in steps, so you don't bore yourself to hell while you gather 3.6k orbs or something. You can buy weaker auras with the same effect in the meantime, some accessible even when you're progressing the storyline if you bother with the feature.
As an example, first aura cost 100? Seems reasonable for a permanent boost, and not that hard to collect even by people doing story quests by the time you reach Gold beach.

As I see it, from a developer's PoV, one should never aim to please a single target group.
Sure, there's a lot more people around here who play the game for maybe one hour and then leave for the rest of the week. Casuals, if you will. Making easy to acquire features should be the target of these players. However, that would just alienate the regular "hardcore" players all over again, who'd breeze the new feature in less than a week and get back to the only thing they probably still don't have: The Major Ghi boosts. Those people need something to keep them busy for a long time. And if they don't they'll just come to the forums and yet again say that they haven't played zOMG! in ages.

That's another reason why the feature should have "steps" in-between. Casuals could get the first few, and the hardcores have the higher ones to aim for too. Plus, seasoned players could always crew up with newer ones to give them their boost, thus improving the quality of crewing in-game. Maybe even get them more interested in playing more often. In the end, Everybody's happy.

Why should the developers ruin such a balance? When users say RIGs are overpriced, everyone just goes "stop whining. Work for your gold." and treat them as morally accepted scape goats. And I'd probably act the same way if someone complained about 3.6k orbs being too many, because I see no difference between these cases.

Distinct Warlord

Aseres
Ungoliath
In the end it's choice of devs, who I doubt will make the cost that high anyway.
aah, you'd be surprised D: JK comes from L2 which is like THE hardcore game D: If he likes this idea (and I'll link it to him later because I'm curious to see what he thinks about it) he'll be like "THIS SHOULD TOTALLY REQUIRE 50k ORBS biggrin biggrin biggrin "... you have no idea what I've argued with him about craftable items costing millions of gold to craft, haha.

Dev work is not about one person. I remember Q when we talked about this kind of stuff, in the end you do what you like but if you don't think on the target and how players are, you'll end have nothing in a second.
DeathWyrmNexus
Ungoliath
DeathWyrmNexus

No... I think of you as an inexperienced player because of your exaggeration and that you are complaining about the fact that I am telling you to play the game to get something.

Remember that I said that 5K to 25K seemed ok, being the 25K should be the more expensive one and coolest. And this is not a game that you can play a while if you take one or two weeks to finish. Less if you play more than one hour in a day.
Why this bonus should take more time than it's required for the all game to be finished? No sense, no logic, no real motivation but elitism.

And I'll slap you in the face if you DARE to tell me that I AM an inexperienced player. I play this damn game since the first wave of testers, suffer two resets and I still play every time to time. I just got bored, but it's not the same.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Aseres
DeathWyrmNexus
Aseres

Well, the problem with future chapters is that, right now, the game doesn't really have enough sucess to warrant the resources required to actually pump out a new complete chapter in the reasonably near future. Rally has more people logging into it daily and didn't take 4 years to complete. I don't like it, but I'm afraid "end-game" will stay end-game for a while, and the team will concentrate on adding content and features within the first 10 levels for a while to get more people to play. From what I've heard most people actually gave up during the old tutorial and village green gnome rapes, so it'll be important to give that crowd an incentive to find their way back into the game. It's a shame that Gaia has a tendency to release it's games too early (look at all the bs they're dealing with with ocean party...), zOMG has more potential then that :/
/rabble

I aggre though that it's important to add features to the game that take work. I've seen people in this thread complain that they're no where near the required orb count. Why would they be? What's the point in having a "quest" like that if you're already "there"? It's fun to work towards bettering your character, that's the main appeal of any mmo (and totally lacking in zOMG once you hit CL 10 and have a sufficient amount of rings max'd out).

I also like the idea that it rewards tactics and thinking ahead but I'll stop patting my back.

As for your main point, you are right. It is a matter of game success. The sad thing is that the game is basically piss easy. I have an idea for the return of the Gnome General but it didn't get many responses despite that it would require tactics and generally just be a thrill to go through. Oh well, can't please everybody.

But here is the rub, the game is only going to appeal to people who want to play. No amount of making a game easy will fix that. Personally, I found that games that stick to their core ethics and worry about making it fun tend to breed their own success.

Then again, we also need more people who feed the devs, hence why I also made a thread about cash shop ring recolors.

Ung: Because the game is longer than Chapter 1 and people need to realize that. Big quests with big rewards. And there is plenty of logic if you care to play more and get ready for the next part of the game, dude.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Ungoliath

Remember that I said that 5K to 25K seemed ok, being the 25K should be the more expensive one and coolest. And this is not a game that you can play a while if you take one or two weeks to finish. Less if you play more than one hour in a day.
Why this bonus should take more time than it's required for the all game to be finished? No sense, no logic, no real motivation but elitism.

Because people leave the game when their done. They feel alienated because they have nothing else to do, and just wander away, or instead, become grumpy in the forums. The devs can give us an arena and new areas, yes, but that won't last for long regardless. People still need a long-term task to keep them busy. Those who do stick around get a bigger boost than who don't, but in the end, their advantage is just an extra, not really something actually required to finish the game without being too difficult.

25k orbs, btw, is a load lot more than what you require to finish the game. The paragraphs seem very discordant of each other.

Distinct Warlord

DeathWyrmNexus
Ung: Because the game is longer than Chapter 1 and people need to realize that. Big quests with big rewards. And there is plenty of logic if you care to play more and get ready for the next part of the game, dude.

When you make a feature you do have some insights about the future, but you work based on what you have in the present.

And as I said, don't make me bitchslap you. ninja
Quintafeira12
Because people leave the game when their done. They feel alienated because they have nothing else to do, and just wander away, or instead, become grumpy in the forums. The devs can give us an arena and new areas, yes, but that won't last for long regardless. People still need a long-term task to keep them busy. Those who do stick around get a bigger boost than who don't, but in the end, their advantage is just an extra, not really something actually required to finish the game without being too difficult.
25k orbs, btw, is a load lot more than what you require to finish the game. The paragraphs seem very discordant of each other.

And you think this kind of feature is what they seek? A bonus to play with an advantge that you wont need because you wont play anymore after being HELL OUT BORED?

And nope, considering that I mention a range of them and not an static number. You may want to read me again.

IRL Vampire

Ungoliath
Aseres
Ungoliath

Dev work is not about one person. I remember Q when we talked about this kind of stuff, in the end you do what you like but if you don't think on the target and how players are, you'll end have nothing in a second.
DeathWyrmNexus
Ungoliath
DeathWyrmNexus

And I'll slap you in the face if you DARE to tell me that I AM an inexperienced player. I play this damn game since the first wave of testers, suffer two resets and I still play every time to time. I just got bored, but it's not the same.

MMOS aren't supposed to "finish". The idea is to add challanges for after people have killed the EB.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Ungoliath
DeathWyrmNexus

When you make a feature you do have some insights about the future, but you work based on what you have in the present.

And as I said, don't make me bitchslap you. ninja

arrow Ungoliath's got a point here though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff