Welcome to Gaia! ::

Goosies Moosies's Husband

Grumpy Feesh

Hmm, interesting idea. Personally, I like it. Sounds kind of like Ghi, except without the ridiculous disappearing stats deal when playing alone. That is my main beef with Ghi currently, that I somehow can't hit things reliably when I'm on a level with them (Or even when they con blue) after 20-50% of my Ghi has depleted, even with Keen Aye.

I'll echo the concerns of others, even if you've already conceded to the idea of the upgrade: The cost. I'm going to make an analogy with Fishing items because that's my area of greatest expertise and obsession thus far. I have a pretty huge amount of fish in my inventory. I've caught them all, or more than that, by hand being a hardcore player. I have more than enough to make any items that could be released and have a realistic item exchange, even if they were 3-4 times the current rates (Excluding only the large fish of Bass'ken and Durem). However, I still don't advocate huge, insane rates for any potential updates because a general player needs to actually think they have a chance at something to want to go for it. 10 auras at 30k orbs each, or even one that high in one stroke, would probably be too daunting to the majority of players. I know, I know, don't go for it if you don't want it, etc. But I still think lower rates, especially on an upgrade stepladder like Syko suggested, works best. The first thing that comes to mind are two different tier systems, much like what Quintafeira12 posted, but in 5 levels, not 3.

Tier setup 1:
Level 1 - 1,000 orbs
Level 2 - 1,500 orbs
Level 3 - 2,000 orbs
Level 4 - 2,500 orbs
Level 5 - 3,000 orbs

For a total of 10k orbs. This could be for the more run of the mill buffs. Things like gold or orb drop enhancers, none of the nice stat boost stuff.

Tier setup 2:
Level 1 - 1,000 orbs
Level 2 - 2,000 orbs
Level 3 - 3,000 orbs
Level 4 - 4,000 orbs
Level 5 - 5,000 orbs

For a total of 15k orbs. These could be the ones like say, your Drill Sergent one, or other actual stat boosters that affect combat (I'd think something like speed could go in the lower cost setup).

Yeah, the prices still might be a bit daunting, but when you're looking at 1.5k orbs to a boost in your ability instead of thinking of the whole 9k that's left, a goal seems more obtainable.

I also like the idea that these would be more effective in crews. Maybe something that would be 2-3x as effective in a full crew as alone. It could say, be like a Ghi boost alone, but in a crew the effects become more notable.

Finally, just a couple of quotes I wanted to ask about/comment on. I'm only taking from the past couple of pages because otherwise this would get even more longwinded than it already is.

Aseres
Rally has more people logging into it daily [...]

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the reference for this? Not that I doubt you really, but since Qix isn't the main person giving us info anymore, I find it hard to keep up with things. I feel like I should make some journal entry/hidden guild thread with links to the post histories of every battle dev I can find just to keep up on things >.<

DeathWyrmNexus
Considering that a number of people actually want a reason to keep playing, [...]

This one really hit home. This is pretty much my situation. I've not logged in yet today to gather more Easter loot, but if I remember right my TCL is only about 9k. Why? Because I have little reason to play now. I was one of those who beat X before the end of 2008. I've only gained about 4k TCL since beating the game. Partially because things such as having to con blue for a monster to count towards your badges (Is that still in effect?), partially because I just plain don't have anything to work towards. Sure, I could try to go beat X again for my Null Fluff... But why? It requires a crew of at least 3, which kills motivation to bother. What else is there besides badge farming/orb stockpiling with no immediate use for them? Sure, now we have news of crafting that will take orbs, but with talk of fail rates (I historically have trouble getting even 70% success out of 85%+ rates) and halo rarity, I see no reason to even prep. See my talk above about attainability and motivation with the fishing item example. With something like this, even though I don't crew often, I could have a goal that didn't put some ridiculous restriction on me while I did it. Give me a reason to play, and I'll play. That's why I'm playing this week, there is an event going. Something new, a bit exciting, and most importantly, something to work for.

IRL Vampire

and this, Ladies and Gents, was some srs bssns zOMG PvP!

IRL Vampire

Gaidin

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the reference for this? Not that I doubt you really, but since Qix isn't the main person giving us info anymore, I find it hard to keep up with things. I feel like I should make some journal entry/hidden guild thread with links to the post histories of every battle dev I can find just to keep up on things >.<

nah, it was a casual off-site conversation with a dev friend, sorry sweatdrop We normally don't talk about Gaia or zOMG but it comes up occasionally (he's my clannie in another MMO)
Why argue over the cost?
IF they even actually implement this idea, it's most likely going straight to cash shop rolleyes
So fighting is pointless...

IRL Vampire

Necrophial
Why argue over the cost?
IF they even actually implement this idea, it's most likely going straight to cash shop rolleyes

the zOMG team has more then proven that they're not cash-shop-focused like the rest of the site, but MUCH more interested in game-play and fairness. No need to be so pessimistic wink
I like this idea, I always wanted more passive buffs. I'm not sure about the orb prices though, I think they're a bit to high.
Aseres
Necrophial
Why argue over the cost?

the zOMG team has more then proven that they're not cash-shop-focused like the rest of the site, but MUCH more interested in game-play and fairness. No need to be so pessimistic wink

Oh. I haven't been here in a LONG time so I wouldn't know that.

Distinct Warlord

DeathWyrmNexus
Fine, so we got that s**t out of the way. Care to discuss actual powers now? I might be delayed in responding I need to hit the shower.
*high fives* Good internet fight though. XD

Not as the flame wars that were before. Ohhh, good ol' times.
Gaidin

Like this? :subliminal way to say join us:

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
I like this idea you shared but knowing Ung get the credit.

I dig this idea very, from all the orbs I've collected and understanding why zOMG would get boring and collecting "Orbs for nothing" I think is a big deal!

Let us use the extra orbs for more than upgrading rings!

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Gaiden: Yea, I definitely see your point but I do still hold onto the idea of a few auras that was really spendy. My reasoning is that I don't want oldbies like myself just going in and buying everything in one swoop. :/

Obviously I am all for step purchasing... I has an idea. One crazy enough to work. Customization.

Check this, let's put it all down as effects.
Tier 1 effects go from 500-1000 orbs.

Then instead of buying into a tree, you are just buying the effect. When you get to Tier 2, you can buy another effect to add to a Tier 1. Etc etc. And you can name the aura.

So perhaps Syko, being a mighty pirate buys Tier 1 Anger (crit enhancement) then buys Tier 2 Money (Gold enhancement on Crits) then buys Tier 3 Blessing (luck bonus). He calls the aura, Pirate's Bounty.

Then DW, being the angsty dragon that he is decides to make his aura. Despite hating the idea of being a copycat, he takes Anger as his Tier 1 as he is truly an angry b*****d. But he then goes to Bloodthirst at Tier 2, which gives him life leech on critical hits. At Tier 3, he goes for Overwhelm which gives a damage bonus. He calls his aura Dragon God's Wrath.

Then again, I am a sucker for permutations.

Goosies Moosies's Husband

Grumpy Feesh

Aseres
nah, it was a casual off-site conversation with a dev friend, sorry sweatdrop We normally don't talk about Gaia or zOMG but it comes up occasionally (he's my clannie in another MMO)

Alrighty. I'll have to take your word for it, though I can't say I'm exactly surprised. The demographic that Gaia seems to be trying to appeal to lately are the type to not want to do anything that requires much complexity, so a glorified pretty chatroom would get more traffic.

Ungoliath
Like this? :subliminal way to say join us:

Yup, pretty much, thanks. I'll probably still make my own somewhere so that I don't need to add another bookmark, but the links are definitely handy.

DeathWyrmNexus
Gaidin: Yea, I definitely see your point but I do still hold onto the idea of a few auras that was really spendy. My reasoning is that I don't want oldbies like myself just going in and buying everything in one swoop. :/

Obviously I am all for step purchasing... I has an idea. One crazy enough to work. Customization.

Check this, let's put it all down as effects.
Tier 1 effects go from 500-1000 orbs.

Then instead of buying into a tree, you are just buying the effect. When you get to Tier 2, you can buy another effect to add to a Tier 1. Etc etc. And you can name the aura.

So perhaps Syko, being a mighty pirate buys Tier 1 Anger (crit enhancement) then buys Tier 2 Money (Gold enhancement on Crits) then buys Tier 3 Blessing (luck bonus). He calls the aura, Pirate's Bounty.

Then DW, being the angsty dragon that he is decides to make his aura. Despite hating the idea of being a copycat, he takes Anger as his Tier 1 as he is truly an angry b*****d. But he then goes to Bloodthirst at Tier 2, which gives him life leech on critical hits. At Tier 3, he goes for Overwhelm which gives a damage bonus. He calls his aura Dragon God's Wrath.

Then again, I am a sucker for permutations.

Oh yeah, I get what you mean too. I wouldn't mind some truly powerful one (essentially current game breaking, except that it's hard to break what little balance is in a casual game anyway) being that expensive, but I think the majority would need to be for the... determined player. Not completely casual, but definitely not hardcore either.

As for customization, that SOUNDS good. The problem is coding, and fluidity. If I don't like one of my combos, I should be able to fuse a different effect in there. I'm not sure how free flowing you mean the idea to be (I assume completely), but the more freedom you get, the bigger pain in the rear it is to make. To be honest I'd rather have a blanket setup like the one you noted in the first post that would actually come out in like, a year or two as opposed to the almost alchemy based system you just put forward that might never make it due to complexity.
To be honest I like the idea, but I also have a big issue with it.

If this aura is to be for crewing and stuff why does the cost have to be so high? It looks like this is geared for way late game stuff when people start farming more for orbs.

I think that at least the first aura thing you purchase which gives a minor boost has a low cost so that newer members can use them also.

that is all.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Eh, I'll always be for customization but I almost certain that we will just get blanket auras. I always dare to hope but know to be pessimistic when it comes down to it.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
Aseres
I disagree with this sentiment actually. The game as it is now has about 2 weeks worth of content and is in desperate need for more, both for low level and endgame. The feature in question however adds complexity rather then actual content and is thus something that's confusing for low level players and nothing I would add into the first 10 CLs. I'm all for adding more content there, but not more complexity. Leave the complexity for high end content and hardcore players that are trying to reach the 500th wave in hive, or the 10kth wave in the colliseum (assuming it works somewhat like the hive). Considering that you can get well over 100 orbs in an hour or 2, 10k orbs isn't that much.

(oh, and when you're talking about gaming: 1-2 hours a day is casual... there are games that require you to play 12 hours + a day if you want to be considered hardcore)
So you're looking at 2800-3200 orbs/week

Which I guess means that at 3 weeks/Aura isn't too bad, though I'd like it better at 1. It's that much more viable for those that can't get on that often >.<;;

@DeathWyrmNexus: Wild guess says that once you've "built" an Aura, you can't change it around right?

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Personally, if we are going to have the retcon argument again, I am going to just say sure, whatever.

However, I will make that contingent on being allowed to save preferred auras. Like say I like a certain combination. I can just have it saved like one does an outfit and hop into it at anytime without having to jumble through all my available auras.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff