Welcome to Gaia! ::

Juudiame Tsuna Sawada
Writers block is so jrhgsdhhjdhsskijif. Does anyone know how to get out of it.

Mind over matter, kiddo. Where did you stop in your story? Brainstorm from that point.

eg/ Johnny had an argument with Freddy.

Brainstorm...

You can explore:
what they argued about
who was involved
how they will work things out
where they go
who they tell
where they are
how they feel
if they've argued before

etc etc

I'd then set a timer for 10 minutes or so (or use write or die) and pick one of the 'ideas' from your brainstorm to work with. And write. Don't think about if it fits in with anything, just write. After you force yourself to write you often find you've pulled yourself out of the dip. The important thing is to write, even if it's crap - you can always delete it later if you figure out how things have gone screwy. If this still doesn't help the story, try going back to a point where things did work to see if maybe it's your subconscious saying you've taken the story down the wrong path. Don't ever delete chunks though, just move to a spare document/file in case you change your mind.
Just wrote a quick poem about passion, dreams, and writing.
Uhm...

About fifteen pages in a week on a new story and about thirty on a rewrite of another one.

It's been a very busy few days. sweatdrop

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
Progress: 789 words on A King's Ransom. More interesting dialogue between Sabin and Setzer, and whether or not the former will be on the airship mission soon!

I always love being in the middle of exciting plots. :3

I nearly finished that scene between Lucian and Ivan too. I was at the tail-end of it yesterday, but I took a break.

Questionable Prophet

Quick Mercury

That's a great amount!
Congrats on getting so far, that's 45 pages in a week, averaging about five pages a day or 2,500 words daily. OuO
Amazing.
What's your story about?

@Elemental:
*fingers crossed*
How's the reading thing going?

Juudiame Tsuna Sawada

Hey, I'm not sure if you posted before so, Welcome (back, possibly?)
Writer's block sucks. gonk
And it depends on what kind you've come down with.
If you're out of ideas for your story or unsure where to go next, review your story and try to outline. My favorite method of getting out of this block is to just describe my character doing mundane things until something happens. (The omlette, changing lightbulb scene was cut later.)
Or, if you're more of a "my writing sucks" those you kind of have to push through. Maybe a prompt will help. My favorite prompts for a block are the ones that are going to equal up to bad writing such as include five cliches in your short story, or ones that are challenges, write a first person narrative where one never learns the M.C.'s name.

Naexiac-one

Awesome! It sounds like it's going well. What's your comic about?

@Loper:
Whoops, yep, I meant snow.
o.e That is a lot of snow. That isn't even fun anymore. After that much snow it feels like the end of the world is approaching.
Hope you managed to squeeze some writing in today.

@Icehawk:
Sounds like a great combo. Congrats on the poem.

@Misuki:
Cool beans. biggrin
I know what you mean, I always get all jittery when writing an exciting scene.
Hope the ending of the scene between Ivan and Lucian goes well.

My Progress:
I love the idea of my beginning scene, but I can't get the arrangement just how I want it.
Got a 97 on my Astronomey mid-term and a 98 on my Spanish project.
And tonight, in celebration, I'm getting to bed at night rather than the really early morning. emotion_zzz

Happy Writing. heart
I'm surprised how large this thread has gotten. I guess people strain their brains for so long to eke out a few perfect sentences and they just want other people to know.

Well, I'm up to chapter ten of my book. Sitting at around 31k words now. Hope to finish it at around 120k words half way through the year then spend the rest of the year editing before sending it off to an agent and hopefully get published from there.

Hopefully some of the regulars here will be able to help me with my edit.

Currently writing about two pages an hour.

Quotable Ladykiller

Desi the fuzzy fluffhead

In a world overrun by fear of disease, and where a large biocorporation controls every cell in the world, a woman must find her husband who has been kidnaped by the Paragon Rain Biocorporation. She does not know why they want him, and as more and more people go missing she begins to question the true intentions of the PRB.

Questionable Streaker

Progress: A blog post totalling almost 500 words. That was always my goal, to do 500 word blog posts, and I always thought that it would be one of those things that just became sub-concious and that I could just write 500 word posts without having to struggle too much.
Also 50 words on Storytime.
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
@Loper:
Whoops, yep, I meant snow.
o.e That is a lot of snow. That isn't even fun anymore. After that much snow it feels like the end of the world is approaching.
Hope you managed to squeeze some writing in today.
It felt like the end of the world had been and gone, to be honest.
Sadly, none yesterday. Ah well.

Intellectual Mage

9,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: KO 200
@Desi: Actually, I was going to come and report that I have progressed by 812 words, give or take ten words.

I started chapter 2...and added a little more history to the first opening in chapter 1. I tried to make it sound interesting and have some kind of a narrative voice, because there was just no way I can make it sound natural with people talking about it since it was already considered common knowledge in that world. But it is essential for the reader to know the background of the main character in order to be grounded somewhere. Otherwise, I have a feeling they're going to be lost when passive aggressive characters hint the past or something like that.

My sisters think I shouldn't bore the readers with history but then again, I've been brainstorming ideas with them for ages, their opinions don't really count in that regard.

Besides, I figured I can cut out whatever info later if I can have it flow naturally into the conversation later. That, or readers can choose to skip it, if they so desire. As long as it's not info dump I guess....>.>
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead

The first one, I'm not really sure. My psych recommended writing as a creative option and I tried it for the first time this week without a plan, and it's worked beautifully so far, up until the writer's block. Maybe I should start planning it out... The second one is about a girl and her invisible friend and he becomes a separate entity. It's kind of a fantastical story. :3

Familiar Fatcat

FOSTER THE PEOPLE
        broken jaw

I was hoping for a few of the RP's I'm in to either slow up or, you know, 'die' before I get back to my own personal writing.

Ideas?: 0.5

Yup.
        I got to get back to writing on my own. emotion_sweatdrop

Sparkly Gekko

I feel so lame right now. I haven't done any work on Longing in so long, and I really have no reason to not be doing it. I think I'm avoiding it because it means I'll have to end the story soon. Or something. Who knows.

In other, less melodramatic news, one of my short stories is a finalist in a writing contest. Yay!

Questionable Prophet

Homurakitsune

blaugh Congratulations on being a finalist! That's awesome. emotion_awesome

Think you can find you some time to write Longing this weekend?

@Naexiac:
That's an excellent pitch.
Sounds like a great story you've got there. ^^

@Ceru:
Nice!
I like when the author arranges it so you're a bit lost when someone hints at the past, but I know what you mean. It's important to have your reader set. Giving history also helps me figure out where I'm going as a writer.
And people gossip all the time, so it's not too unnatural. Yay for starting chapter two!

@Mercury:
Sounds like some good ideas. So, he's a bit like an imaginary friend come to life?
There are tons of ways to plan, but you don't have to. Have fun writing. Just keep at it and the block with disappear. biggrin

The Mind Heist

You can try to do all of them, it'd talk a lot of time management.
Or maybe one of your character's can come down with a terminal illness, trip down a flight of stairs, get eating by a cow. The cow's revenge for eating his brother with that side of fries. User Image
What kind of stories do you write/RP for?

@Loper:
Sweet job with the 500 word blog post.
That's 550 words since you last posted, that's pretty snazzy.
You got some today through.
So nonchalant about the world's end. I hope your stocked up on the peanut butter.

Cogent Dream

I think everyone needs a chance to brag daily.
It's almost two years old.
Welcome to the thread.
Sweet job breaking the 30K mark!
120K is quite the word count goal, but writing at two pages an hour sounds like you'll reach it fine.
What's your story about?

My Progress:
I tried to skip the beginning, but then I couldn't write chapter two. I want to introduce some more positive woman characters in my series, I don't know how though.
But, while trying to figure out how to convey my frustration to you guys, I think I've figured out how to fix it the beginning scene.

Happy Friday. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces