Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
@Elemental:
*fingers crossed*
How's the reading thing going?

I have sun, mon, tues definitely to work with. Possibly Thurs too. Maybe tonight when I get home from seeing my friends if I don't pass out.

The reading's going well: I'm halfway through book seven. To stay on track I'm supposed to be reading eight in a month but I'll get caught up at some point biggrin

Congratulations on becoming a finalist!
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead

Cogent Dream

I think everyone needs a chance to brag daily.
It's almost two years old.
Welcome to the thread.
Sweet job breaking the 30K mark!
120K is quite the word count goal, but writing at two pages an hour sounds like you'll reach it fine.
What's your story about?

My Progress:
I tried to skip the beginning, but then I couldn't write chapter two. I want to introduce some more positive woman characters in my series, I don't know how though.
But, while trying to figure out how to convey my frustration to you guys, I think I've figured out how to fix it the beginning scene.

Happy Friday. heart

Had a major project that was around 150k but it got too out of control that I couldn't finish it and spent so long fixing up loose ends that I gave up.

The first few chapters of this new one is up here on gaia. Essentially, it begins as a revenge-driven plot; a young boy's parents are murdered by witches and he wants to avenge them. To do so, he becomes a witch hunter and learns to act tough when really, he feels insecure and out of place being a kid in an adult's world. Eventually, he joins up with an organisation that heads the hunt for witches and hopes that their resources will allow him to finally track down those responsible. The training is brutal and brainwashing, but when he is ordered to kill his only childhood friend, he realises something is wrong and that he has been manipulated all along. Don't want to give away the twists too much so I kept the pitch and blurb short:

Quote:
There is a witch within the Seventh Circle. One that must be killed.

Thrust down the path of revenge by the murder of his parents, young Aion Thorne wanders a dark world of blood and magic to find the witch responsible. But it takes more than a mask of false
confidence and cold-heartedness to kill a real witch.

With the culprit hiding behind a fortress of deceit and manipulation, Aion will need to learn how to feel, love and distrust lest he be swept away by a world of lies.

As for your problem, what do you mean by positive women? Like role models or capable protagonists? What's the genre and basic plot like?

Familiar Fatcat

Desi the fuzzy fluffhead

FOSTER THE PEOPLE
        broken jaw

Ohgod. I laughed harder than needed at that. 8'D COW RAGE--!

But, I usually write action or adventure stories; and I believe I join drama, thriller, or adventure RP's.
        Something like that.
        I don't really look so hard at the 'genre', if labeled.
        There's only four of them.

Questionable Streaker

Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
@Loper:
Sweet job with the 500 word blog post.
That's 550 words since you last posted, that's pretty snazzy.
You got some today through.
So nonchalant about the world's end. I hope you're stocked up on the peanut butter.
Yep, it didn't last though. I didn't get anything done today "/
I don't like peanut butter. However, I have enough Mars bars to last me a few lifetimes. The world would be so much better with more Mars bars.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
*Finished the chapter of my Stargate fic. The discussion between the alien and the counselor was kind of difficult
*Started new chapter on my novel; so far so good.
I was actually out all night. It's now just after noon on Sunday.

Sunday's plan: (writing & non-writing)

*Finish watching Schindler's List
*Clean the house & household chores
*Brainstorm x5 minimum chapters or gaps in chapters
*5,000 words minimum on The Rising
*Prep potato hash and pop in the slow cooker
*Find recipe and bake some biscuits

*Finish watching Schindler's List
> Made me cry!
*Clean the house & household chores > Bleached and scrubbed bathroom and toilet, swept house (it's all hardwood barring the lounge), scrubbed work surfaces in the kitchen, cleared the sink (no pots - yey!), bedding washed and hung to dry. [To do: scrub kitchen floor, hoover lounge, file paperwork, make sure everything's in its proper place... I really need to remember to little bits regularly, not leave it to build up.]
*Prep potato hash and pop in the slow cooker > Just waiting on the dumplings to cook and then it's done - yummy!
*Find recipe and bake some biscuits

***also done: some deleting of old threads in the guild.

*Clean the house & household chores > hoovered lounge. [To do: scrub kitchen floor, file paperwork, make sure everything's in its proper place...]
*Find recipe and bake some biscuits > Done: http://cakemixeater.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/biscuits/

Finally figured out a non-stupid premise for my next short story.

Intellectual Mage

9,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: KO 200
@Desi: Yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I said that if I can find a way to have it mentioned later, it'd be really nice. That way I can cut more out XD. But for now, since I'm not sure how I want to sneak it in, I'll leave it there. 3nodding At the very least, I know what's essential for the story. (I've been re-writing this story so much I've lost track of what info I've put down. I rather not assume they know until I know I put it somewhere sweatdrop )

Sparkly Gekko

@Desi: Thanks! smile

And uh, I've just had a lot going on lately. My fiance just got back from the army and all that, so I've been preoccupied. I hope to get back into the swing of things with Longing sometime next week. Or something. You know, at this point I'd be happy to just write a single sentence before next Sunday. xD That's okay, things look like they might settle down soon.

Romantic Explorer

Yooo...

I've just been writing some drabbles lately, I got caught in massive wave of reading and writing (technically I'm still in it) ;.;

How's everyone else? ^^

Questionable Prophet

@Elemental:
Sounds like you had an awesome Saturday. blaugh
Awesome, book seven is great. How is Schindler's List? Whootness for clean house. A clean environment is always productive to writing. Hope the potato hash and biscuits and you get to the brainstorming and get started on those 5,000 words.

@The Mind Heist:
xD Those lashing tails and blank stares hint at a deep inner anger.
Sounds like a good way of going about choosing something. 3nodding

@Loper:
Darn. Better hop to it then.
You don't like peanut-butter. Allergies is the only excuse for this.
My friend told me that they fry Mars bars somewhere. e.e

@Phoenix:
Congrants on finishing a chapter and starting a new one.

Reborn Fox

Cool beans. What's the premise?

@Ceru:
3nodding Rewrites can be all twisty turning. And working things in can be a lot harder than taking things out. And then when they're easy you wonder if that's good enough.

@Kitsune:
Sweetness about getting your fiance back. Have fun. Hope to hear about some progress Monday.

Cogent Dream

150K project is quite the feat though. Were you able to use anything from it?
Aion sounds like an interesting character. He just sounds so much like a normal kid, but in such circumstances.
Awesome pitch. Are you getting good reviews here?

Positive, as in my POV character likes her as a person, but doesn't want to lay her.
My current WIP is book 2 of a mysteries series. My MC is working on a double homicide, which will turn out to be a revenge killing, his sister-in-law is on the run (his brother has been absent for over 13 years) but is staying in contact with her son. My character is a basic womanizer, in the process of trying to win back his wife.
I've figured it out who I could use, best friend's fiance, and have decided the story doesn't really need it and it'd weaken my plot.

@Nikkou:
'Sup, homie-skillet-bisquit?
Drabbles are fun, I've never managed one. Do you have any focus on them?
What have you been reading?
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead

Cogent Dream

150K project is quite the feat though. Were you able to use anything from it?
Aion sounds like an interesting character. He just sounds so much like a normal kid, but in such circumstances.
Awesome pitch. Are you getting good reviews here?

Positive, as in my POV character likes her as a person, but doesn't want to lay her.
My current WIP is book 2 of a mysteries series. My MC is working on a double homicide, which will turn out to be a revenge killing, his sister-in-law is on the run (his brother has been absent for over 13 years) but is staying in contact with her son. My character is a basic womanizer, in the process of trying to win back his wife.
I've figured it out who I could use, best friend's fiance, and have decided the story doesn't really need it and it'd weaken my plot.

I think I've gotten the most positive comments back from Gaia, with Inkpop now catching up. Most reads I get from amateurwriting.net though, something like 400 reads? I don't know how many of those are from people coming back though.

So you want a female character that's likeable but not sexualised by your notorious womanising MC. As far as I know, there are certain things that make womanisers not approach a certain woman with those intentions. Sometimes it's some personality trait that's too close to the person's own traits that it's uncomfortable, sometimes it's because they see them as just another bloke with boobs. More interesting could be that she reminds him too much of the wife he's trying to get back, which strips away that whole mask of carefree, playful flirting and makes things so much more real and serious.

Good luck with that though, I'm sure you'll think of something. If you write it well, it'll turn out good even if the idea itself isn't brilliant razz

Questionable Streaker

Progress: Over 1k words on a non-Storytime thing. Good progress, but not on the right thing! stressed
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
@Loper:
Darn. Better hop to it then.
You don't like peanut-butter. Allergies is the only excuse for this.
My friend told me that they fry Mars bars somewhere. e.e
Nah, just don't like peanut butter smile
Deep-fried Mars bars? Oh yeah. I'm too far south to get them, but take a train more than an hour north out of London and they should be available. Birmingham are quite big on them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff