Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
well it started to rain today.... looks like i'm chilling at home and not going the 30 min bike ride to play with puppy dogs.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Oh man, today I got to walk my mom's dogs. I went over to eat dinner at her house and she has two dogs, an American Bulldog and a rat terrier, affectionately called by me as "Ratdog".

Anyway, somehow I got on the subject of their leash or crate or something and was totally like, "Hey, can I walk him?" (him being Ratdog, the rat terrier) and she was like, sure, so I walked him all around the neighborhood for a good half an hour or so.

I love walking dogs. Or more like just walking in general. I love it. Mentally, I find it hard to walk by myself. But if a dog's there, then hey, perfect reason to go walking all around! And I just feel so much confident with an animal by my side.
Ratdog is excellent excellent excellent to walk. He weighs about 18 pounds, or so I was told, and he is like -the- perfect size. Not so small like chihuahuas where they get under your feet, but not so big as to be able to pull me around.

Man, like, the main thing I like about dogs is being able to walk them around. Seriously, if I had a dog, the number one thing I would want is a dog that walks perfectly on a leash, heels right by my side, and isn't super dog or human reactive. Anything else, shoot, I couldn't care less.

Ratdog is wonderful. We didn't meet any strange people during the walk, since it's in the evening and most people were inside anyway, so I can't say much about how reactive to people he is. But to other dogs! He's no problem at all. There was a chained up chocolate lab in a yard that I didn't notice until I got close, but Ratdog didn't bark or growl or anything, just sort of stared. It was hard to redirect his attention to me though, but nothing too bad overall!

Anyway, I'm not making this post just for my entertainment, lol. I would like some help on how to teach him to walk perfectly! A lot of you have dogs and take them for walks and other exercise pretty regularly, if not every day, and most of you (sound like, at least) have dogs that are pretty well-behaved on walks. How can I get Ratdog to be like that?

Ratdog, like I said, is pretty good, but sometimes he tries running ahead of me, pulling on the end of the leash- he doesn't pull super hard, but it'd be nice if I could get him to stay by my side so I can keep the leash slack and calm. I'm not sure if I'm describing what I want well, so if you need more info, please ask.

I am using what seems to be a 4 or 6 foot leash, blue, the traditional nylon or whatever type of leash. On walks I switch directions very often, since I heard that helps keep their attention on you. If he pulls on one end of the leash, I turn around and walk in the other direction.

He is highlyhighly food motivated, so I'm thinking of getting some meat pieces to reward him when he's walking well. But um, how do I carry them with me? Since I don't really want to be holding meat in my hand for like the duration of the walk, lol. Victoria Stillwell seems to use a fannypack but I'm not sure where to buy those.
I'd like to not use the clicker, at least not at this point. In the future if this thing with me and him continues I'll likely use it to do trick training, but just for basic walking I'd like to teach him without it.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Moth Feathers
Oh man, today I got to walk my mom's dogs. I went over to eat dinner at her house and she has two dogs, an American Bulldog and a rat terrier, affectionately called by me as "Ratdog".

Anyway, somehow I got on the subject of their leash or crate or something and was totally like, "Hey, can I walk him?" (him being Ratdog, the rat terrier) and she was like, sure, so I walked him all around the neighborhood for a good half an hour or so.

I love walking dogs. Or more like just walking in general. I love it. Mentally, I find it hard to walk by myself. But if a dog's there, then hey, perfect reason to go walking all around! And I just feel so much confident with an animal by my side.
Ratdog is excellent excellent excellent to walk. He weighs about 18 pounds, or so I was told, and he is like -the- perfect size. Not so small like chihuahuas where they get under your feet, but not so big as to be able to pull me around.

Man, like, the main thing I like about dogs is being able to walk them around. Seriously, if I had a dog, the number one thing I would want is a dog that walks perfectly on a leash, heels right by my side, and isn't super dog or human reactive. Anything else, shoot, I couldn't care less.

Ratdog is wonderful. We didn't meet any strange people during the walk, since it's in the evening and most people were inside anyway, so I can't say much about how reactive to people he is. But to other dogs! He's no problem at all. There was a chained up chocolate lab in a yard that I didn't notice until I got close, but Ratdog didn't bark or growl or anything, just sort of stared. It was hard to redirect his attention to me though, but nothing too bad overall!

Anyway, I'm not making this post just for my entertainment, lol. I would like some help on how to teach him to walk perfectly! A lot of you have dogs and take them for walks and other exercise pretty regularly, if not every day, and most of you (sound like, at least) have dogs that are pretty well-behaved on walks. How can I get Ratdog to be like that?

Ratdog, like I said, is pretty good, but sometimes he tries running ahead of me, pulling on the end of the leash- he doesn't pull super hard, but it'd be nice if I could get him to stay by my side so I can keep the leash slack and calm. I'm not sure if I'm describing what I want well, so if you need more info, please ask.

I am using what seems to be a 4 or 6 foot leash, blue, the traditional nylon or whatever type of leash. On walks I switch directions very often, since I heard that helps keep their attention on you. If he pulls on one end of the leash, I turn around and walk in the other direction.

He is highlyhighly food motivated, so I'm thinking of getting some meat pieces to reward him when he's walking well. But um, how do I carry them with me? Since I don't really want to be holding meat in my hand for like the duration of the walk, lol. Victoria Stillwell seems to use a fannypack but I'm not sure where to buy those.
I'd like to not use the clicker, at least not at this point. In the future if this thing with me and him continues I'll likely use it to do trick training, but just for basic walking I'd like to teach him without it.

when I dog sat Luna (my friends lovely lab) the only way I really could get her to relax and walkin with me without pulling was having treats on me and letting her know I had treats. She would get a treat when we left the house and once in a while during the walk while she was next to me and one when we were half way done (I liked to take her to DQ and Subway since it was about dinner/snack time for me and I was left money.....was a good mile + walk there and back)

From what I heard I was the only one that she walked nice for....and I only saw her once every few weeks...

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Keyona
when I dog sat Luna (my friends lovely lab) the only way I really could get her to relax and walkin with me without pulling was having treats on me and letting her know I had treats. She would get a treat when we left the house and once in a while during the walk while she was next to me and one when we were half way done (I liked to take her to DQ and Subway since it was about dinner/snack time for me and I was left money.....was a good mile + walk there and back)

From what I heard I was the only one that she walked nice for....and I only saw her once every few weeks...

I read everywhere to bring treats on the walk. I don't have a problem with that, but how in the world are you supposed to carry the treats? =/

They make treat pouch bags but isn't there something easy to DIY? It doesn't need to look nice, I just need something.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Moth Feathers
Keyona

I read everywhere to bring treats on the walk. I don't have a problem with that, but how in the world are you supposed to carry the treats? =/

They make treat pouch bags but isn't there something easy to DIY? It doesn't need to look nice, I just need something.

I just used pockets...but I normally only had milk bone type treats. But pockes + plastic baggie works too. could always use a fanny pack...
Moth Feathers
Keyona

Zip lock bag in your pocket. ;D Or.. If you're lke me.. I just shove treats directly into my pocket. >_> Yay, crumbs!

Kikopup is a pretty awesome person and you can use her methods with or without a clicker. =) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ Cool thing is she shows you a couple different ways. ^^;
Moth Feathers
Keyona

Pockets work well. If you have an old little purse, it'd work well as a make-shift treat pouch (over the shoulder or tied around the waist).
Completely non-pet-related (other than that it stems from "conversation" in another thread in the forum):

Why is it that when people don't agree with 'you' (online), they're obviously little kids?

Devoted Inquisitor

Moth Feathers

Best method evaaah:

I often just put the treats in my pocket, or in a plastic bag in my purse (most of my purses have an open pocket on the back).

When I'm actually training I use my treat pouch. It'd be easy to make one, if you really wanted to; it's just a snap-on pocket.

Devoted Inquisitor

So I don't know if anyone even remembers, but about a year ago I posted about a class I started but then dropped because it wasn't what I was looking for.

Today I went to drop in night, and the woman who taught the class was there. She said hi, and I said hi, and asked how she was, and she actually apologized to me for losing her temper! I (honestly) told her that it's fine, and I think we parted on good terms. I'm really pleased, and it made me feel really good, but...

... I don't remember her snapping at me at all. gonk I remember that the methods weren't correct for me, and I remember being very upset by the second class, but I don't actually remember her doing anything wrong/rude/mean.

Anyway--what a pleasant evening! Elsie's getting much better about performing around other dogs, and she made friends with a gorgeous std. poodle tonight. What a love.

Edit:

She totally just saved my life, and I'm only half joking.

I inhaled a bunch of water and choked. I couldn't breathe at all, and she went and poked my boyfriend until he looked at me and realized I was in distress. Then he hit me until I coughed it up.

I didn't know you could choke to the point of not breathing on water. emo

Aged Hunter

Moth Feathers

I use my pockets. I usually wear a hoodie in cooler weather and I'm getting a light weight vest for warmer weather. But a ziplock bag in the pocket works really well. I also use string cheese a lot Will loves it, and I can slip it into a pocket and just have the top open, and it breaks into small pieces really easily. I love string cheese as a treat.
Latrans
So I don't know if anyone even remembers, but about a year ago I posted about a class I started but then dropped because it wasn't what I was looking for.

Today I went to drop in night, and the woman who taught the class was there. She said hi, and I said hi, and asked how she was, and she actually apologized to me for losing her temper! I (honestly) told her that it's fine, and I think we parted on good terms. I'm really pleased, and it made me feel really good, but...

... I don't remember her snapping at me at all. gonk I remember that the methods weren't correct for me, and I remember being very upset by the second class, but I don't actually remember her doing anything wrong/rude/mean.

Anyway--what a pleasant evening! Elsie's getting much better about performing around other dogs, and she made friends with a gorgeous std. poodle tonight. What a love.

Edit:

She totally just saved my life, and I'm only half joking.

I inhaled a bunch of water and choked. I couldn't breathe at all, and she went and poked my boyfriend until he looked at me and realized I was in distress. Then he hit me until I coughed it up.

I didn't know you could choke to the point of not breathing on water. emo

Maybe she was talking about you behind your back/ranting to somebody?

Choking on water? Definitely possible; I've done it more than once (maybe not quite to the point of not breathing, but still)... I sometimes swear that water's going to be the death of me..

Devoted Inquisitor

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Choking on water? Definitely possible; I've done it more than once (maybe not quite to the point of not breathing, but still)... I sometimes swear that water's going to be the death of me..

*shrug* I guess. It doesn't matter to me, though.

And I suck at eating food and drinking liquids. gonk I almost died a couple years ago choking on a piece of hard candy. lol
Latrans
~ Aki - Fairy ~

*shrug* I guess. It doesn't matter to me, though.

And I suck at eating food and drinking liquids. gonk I almost died a couple years ago choking on a piece of hard candy. lol

I don't have problems with hard candy too often. Gummy ones, sometimes, though. I had a slice of tomato (the end slice) try to kill me the other day.
The worst with swallowing stuff whole like that is getting rid of the feeling that it's still stuck after.
With liquids, after choking/hacking for a bit I start sneezing; my body doesn't seem to realize it makes breathing harder, not easier.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Completely non-pet-related (other than that it stems from "conversation" in another thread in the forum):

Why is it that when people don't agree with 'you' (online), they're obviously little kids?

cause you know that adults are always right so if you are right and they don't agree they are little children?

G. pigs don't bond in a day do they? I would think they would be like other rodents where it has to be a slow process, and not just toss them right away together (even in a neutral area) with no seperation....or am I just to use to dealing with the high and mighty gerbil clans that will kill any intruder or die trying?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff