Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mistress of Rain
well once it goes outside zip ties can be your friend smile

It'll definitely need something. I also want to work on a design to make it easier to take through doorways, so I don't have to assemble it outside or half-disassemble if I ever want to put it away.
Doesn't really matter right now, though, since the pieces are currently being used for shelving elsewhere in the house, but it's a work in progress design, definitely.
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Mistress of Rain

It'll definitely need something. I also want to work on a design to make it easier to take through doorways, so I don't have to assemble it outside or half-disassemble if I ever want to put it away.
Doesn't really matter right now, though, since the pieces are currently being used for shelving elsewhere in the house, but it's a work in progress design, definitely.
You are also going to need weights or those pegs used to keep tents in the ground, otherwise your cat is just going to flip it up.
Henrika
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Mistress of Rain

You are also going to need weights or those pegs used to keep tents in the ground, otherwise your cat is just going to flip it up.

I've got tent pegs because that was a concern when I was buying supplies. I'm also thinking I need something "solid" for support under the ledge she'll be able to sit on, because they're not really inteded to hold a lot of weight, and thus kind of feel slightly flimsy. If a small kennel is suitably sized for such, that'd be perfect, because it'd make for an easy/safe way to get her in/out of it, as well.
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Henrika
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Mistress of Rain

I've got tent pegs because that was a concern when I was buying supplies. I'm also thinking I need something "solid" for support under the ledge she'll be able to sit on, because they're not really inteded to hold a lot of weight, and thus kind of feel slightly flimsy. If a small kennel is suitably sized for such, that'd be perfect, because it'd make for an easy/safe way to get her in/out of it, as well.
Depends how heavy your cat is, we had similar ledges in our c&c cat cage and it held up fine with the younger two, though we added supports because Honeycake thought the cage was the greatest thing ever and would climb in as well. 3 cats on a ledge like that was a bit much lol.
Henrika
Depends how heavy your cat is, we had similar ledges in our c&c cat cage and it held up fine with the younger two, though we added supports because Honeycake thought the cage was the greatest thing ever and would climb in as well. 3 cats on a ledge like that was a bit much lol.

I think it probably could hold her up okay, but I'd just rather be safe than risk it warping over time and collapsing.

Plus, it wouldn't hurt to provide her with a "hide" in there, to build comfort and confidence.
My month of Zoe starts next week. I can't wait. She's going to drive me batty, but at the same time I know all the torture I'll put her through ("daily" walks, real treats instead of milk bones, denta stix and rawhide, scheduled feedings, cuddles, kitty-cuddles, bella-grumps, daily games of fetch, a yard she can truly run in, neighbour cats to chase out of said yard, etc..) will be great for her. And that all the torture she'll make me endure (play time, "daily walks", etc...) will be good for me as well.

It borderline kills me knowing she's not getting the life she deserves with mum, but that I pretty much can't do much of anything about it - mum won't listen about the treats; I'm actually kind of surprised she hasn't switched off the Acana to cheap crap; Zoe doesn't get the stimulation that she needs, but I can only spend so much time over there playing with her; mum is quite outdated on her training "beliefs" (why is it that the people who do it don't realize the yelling and smacking aren't helping any, regardless of how often it's done, how loud they are, how hard they smack, etc..?)

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Need suggestions for some animal rights/welfare websites to read in my spare time. Always want a view from the other side. cool
So far I have HSUS, PETA, and Born Free USA pages bookmarked. Any others?

I'm looking for the stereotypical spay/neuter all pets, adopt don't breed or buy, say no to exotic pets, etc type of campaigns. Ooh, and if you can find an anti-reptile stance like what the HSUS likes, that'd be a great one too.

Devoted Inquisitor

Moth Feathers
Need suggestions for some animal rights/welfare websites to read in my spare time. Always want a view from the other side. cool

I'm looking for the stereotypical spay/neuter all pets, adopt don't breed or buy, say no to exotic pets, etc type of campaigns. Ooh, and if you can find an anti-reptile stance like what the HSUS likes, that'd be a great one too.

If you find any that are anti-all animal testing, that'd interest me. biggrin

Invisible Genius

7,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Moth Feathers

ALF?

I didn't know HSUS doesn't like reptiles.... WHY?! gonk

edit: *reads website* "all reptiles are wild and can't be domesticated and are too hard to care for and they all have salmonella!" ><

I think my reptiles are easier to care for than my dogs. I know they can also be self sufficient in the wild, but CB hand raised ones are very nice and social and do just fine with humans. smile And they must be taken care of if they have been selectively bred so long to make different color and temperament morphs. I consider that domestic. But at least they say no to bowls and yes to cycling fish tanks. ;D

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Latrans
Moth Feathers

If you find any that are anti-all animal testing, that'd interest me. biggrin

This seems to be a thorough one against animal testing.. Animal testing isn't a super fascinating subject for me, so I just skimmed through it, but I think they are against all animal testing.

I found one that was anti-dissection, though, and I'm liking it. Dissection

One of its key arguments was that dissection is cutting into an animal, therefore it's teaching kids that harming other animals is okay or something. I fail to see how cutting into a dissection specimen is any different than cutting into a Thanksgiving turkey..both are critters and both are dead. I guess if one looks more like a critter then that becomes bad.

Invisible Genius

7,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Moth: hmmm. That dissection page had a few things I liked and thought were good points... But the rest was pretty extreme to be credible.

Quote:
Additionally, rabbits, cats and dogs are often stolen from backyards, bought from pet stores or adopted from animal shelters, while pigs and sheep are purchased from slaughterhouses.

O_O Do people really do that? It's funny how it says "often"... Do they mean the poor schools do this or the supply companies go stealing and falsely adopting animals? xO

And whoever wrote this paragraph must not have proofread lol:
Quote:
Using dissection to study physiology can be likened to someone taking apart a care and inspecting a dislodged carburetor in order to understand the concept of the internal combustion engine. And studying anatomy be killing and cutting apart an animal simply to inspect the organs, then compare them to a labeled chart, amounts to nothing more than a callous and redundant act.

Anyway, on another note, instead of making another thread about it, I'm trying to encourage some more involvement with the animals at my store. Here's a screenshot of the sign I made, lol:
User Image

Think anyone will notice and come? I already put an FAQ sign out answering the "Why are there animals in your store?" and "Are they for sale?" and "Why aren't they for sale?" etc but I'm still asked that like twenty times a day... I really want more people to actually do something with them and actually learn what our charity is about...

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Mircheese
Moth: hmmm. That dissection page had a few things I liked and thought were good points... But the rest was pretty extreme to be credible.

Quote:
Additionally, rabbits, cats and dogs are often stolen from backyards, bought from pet stores or adopted from animal shelters, while pigs and sheep are purchased from slaughterhouses.

O_O Do people really do that? It's funny how it says "often"... Do they mean the poor schools do this or the supply companies go stealing and falsely adopting animals? xO

And whoever wrote this paragraph must not have proofread lol:
Quote:
Using dissection to study physiology can be likened to someone taking apart a care and inspecting a dislodged carburetor in order to understand the concept of the internal combustion engine. And studying anatomy be killing and cutting apart an animal simply to inspect the organs, then compare them to a labeled chart, amounts to nothing more than a callous and redundant act.

Anyway, on another note, instead of making another thread about it, I'm trying to encourage some more involvement with the animals at my store. Here's a screenshot of the sign I made, lol:
User Image

Think anyone will notice and come? I already put an FAQ sign out answering the "Why are there animals in your store?" and "Are they for sale?" and "Why aren't they for sale?" etc but I'm still asked that like twenty times a day... I really want more people to actually do something with them and actually learn what our charity is about...

The thing about pigs, sheep, and other livestock animals are true (they are purchased from slaughterhouses), but dogs and cats aren't stolen from people's yards. They are euthed strays from the animal shelter. The rabbits are probably bred specifically for research purposes.

Besides, if acquisition of specimens was a problem, then they should be pushing stricter regulations for their sourcing, not just hate on dissection all together.

And the analogy about the carburetor..I'm pretty sure most mechanics will say that actually going in and investigating a car's engine, feeling and touching the parts to learn how they're put together, was much more helpful to them than just looking at a diagram of what's inside a car. Same thing if you like to put together computers.
...I just realized that had nothing to do with the point you were saying, lol. Oh well.

Speaking of proofreading errors, I read an article about large parrots in captivity written by Born Free USA. They showed some horror pictures to prove their point, and posted a picture of a featherplucked cockatoo, but the caption underneath marked it as a "cockatiel". rolleyes

I think your sign is nice but are you sure you want to do this every day? I think it may be easier for everyone if your demonstration is just once or twice a week. You could post feeding/care time on the sign, if people might be interested in watching, but I wouldn't do a full-blown demonstration of, "Hey, this is so-and-so, he is a so-so and they have suchandsuch dietary requirements.." and so on every single day.

Invisible Genius

7,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Yeah, I know they get the unwanted euthed ones from shelters, but I haven't ever heard of anyone going up and filling out an adoption form for an animal then taking it and killing it to dissect. :O That would be horrible!

Lol, a lot of people also just don't know how to spell "cockatiel" correctly either. And a lot of times they think it's right when spell check corrects them "cocktail" smile

Anyway, I didn't really mean doing a presentation/speech about specific feeding etc for every single animal, more like just taking them out and letting little kids hold them, and then briefly talk about basics that will save the life of an ignorant person's pet (like NO FISH BOWLS, iguanas can't eat meat, UV lights, birds/rodents eat veggies too and not just seeds, etc), and then let them talk about the animals and answer any questions they have for me. So hopefully it can be something different every day, and fun for everyone; especially with homemade coloring pages!!! smile
I actually don't want to have people watching me feed/care for them. If people ever see me start the fish tank siphon by mouth they look at me like I'm weird. And I also don't like the violence-craving looks on peoples' faces when they see Spike eat a cricket or (we try to always do it after closing) during snake feeding time. gonk

Oh, and speaking of fish... The water at the store today tastes like they put hella extra chlorine in it. I should probably add an extra drop of conditioner when I do WCs tomorrow, lol.

Invisible Genius

7,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
......Wow, someone just came in about an hour ago and said he was a finch breeder and offered me some. We certainly don't have enough room for a lot more animals right now, and I need to obviously improve my current finches' housing as it is. This guy has like 50 zebra finches, he says, in a cage only about as big as yours, Moth. He said that he's been inbreeding them for a while to bring out the white color morphs, and I'm sure he means well, but it sounds like something I probably don't wanna get into... Of course if we do take them in we are going to start rehoming them in small groups, but Idk if I can really handle all this; I don't really think there's a huge demand for finches in my area... Also, I'm not sure how credible this guy really is on animal care. He was very nice, but his two tiny dogs he brought in with him were like, OBESE, and had obvious labored breathing. He also manhandled my turtle trying to figure out what gender it is. >.>

Anyhow, do you think I should take them? They come with their cage and are free, and I don't think he intends to get any more so we really would be making a difference and helping them get possibly better homes. But I just don't want to really take on a ton more messy birds when I'm not sure if we'll be able to get rid of them soon enough. xP
And, oh, yes! I found my big old cage that I was going to put my zebra boys in. It is a tad bigger than I thought! biggrin But it definitely needs a very thorough cleaning. But hopefully we can try to get them in it by next week, regardless of whether we get the new finches. Yay! And maybe if we do take the other finches then we can use their big aviary cage for my finches once we rehome all the other ones. And then maybe mix species, or just keep a few of the good ones. smile But what do you think I should do? I think they really want us to take them, and he also said if I didn't want that many he could sell off like half of them to pet stores first... xO

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Mircheese
......Wow, someone just came in about an hour ago and said he was a finch breeder and offered me some. We certainly don't have enough room for a lot more animals right now, and I need to obviously improve my current finches' housing as it is. This guy has like 50 zebra finches, he says, in a cage only about as big as yours, Moth. He said that he's been inbreeding them for a while to bring out the white color morphs, and I'm sure he means well, but it sounds like something I probably don't wanna get into... Of course if we do take them in we are going to start rehoming them in small groups, but Idk if I can really handle all this; I don't really think there's a huge demand for finches in my area... Also, I'm not sure how credible this guy really is on animal care. He was very nice, but his two tiny dogs he brought in with him were like, OBESE, and had obvious labored breathing. He also manhandled my turtle trying to figure out what gender it is. >.>

Anyhow, do you think I should take them? They come with their cage and are free, and I don't think he intends to get any more so we really would be making a difference and helping them get possibly better homes. But I just don't want to really take on a ton more messy birds when I'm not sure if we'll be able to get rid of them soon enough. xP
And, oh, yes! I found my big old cage that I was going to put my zebra boys in. It is a tad bigger than I thought! biggrin But it definitely needs a very thorough cleaning. But hopefully we can try to get them in it by next week, regardless of whether we get the new finches. Yay! And maybe if we do take the other finches then we can use their big aviary cage for my finches once we rehome all the other ones. And then maybe mix species, or just keep a few of the good ones. smile But what do you think I should do? I think they really want us to take them, and he also said if I didn't want that many he could sell off like half of them to pet stores first... xO

I wouldn't touch finches like that with a ten foot pole. They don't sound like they are very healthy.
Finches, and birds in general really, do not sell well- or in your case, rehome well. The demand is very little. You'd more than likely have to hold onto them for months, if not years. And I think the most important thing right now is to improve all your bird housing- not just for finches but your budgerigars and all other birds too. It's one thing to say, "well, I'll do this and this," but another to actually do it.

But it's your choice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces