STEP 2: BUY STRANGE CLOTHES 0.062831497348021 6.3% [ 154 ]
STEP 3: WHINE ABOUT HOW OPPRESSED YOU ARE 0.11015911872705 11.0% [ 270 ]
STEP 4: ???????? 0.37413300693594 37.4% [ 917 ]
STEP 5: PROFIT! 0.33741330069359 33.7% [ 827 ]
Total Votes:[ 2451 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 339 340 341 > >> >>> »|

Thank Goddess for this thread! *subscribes for future reference and quoting*
washu_2004
Are discordians (Worshippers of Eris, Goddess of strife) Pagan?

Fixed the spelling for ya. 3nodding

Yes, they are a non-Abrahamic (sp?) religion so they get to be Pagan. (Fnord). However, there are no Discordian's left, as each and every person is a pope of Discordianism. So as pope (or mome, sometimes) I excommunicate all over Discordians.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
xStephanx
washu_2004

Yes, they are a non-Abrahamic (sp?) religion so they get to be Pagan. (Fnord). However, there are no Discordian's left, as each and every person is a pope of Discordianism. So as pope (or mome, sometimes) I excommunicate all over Discordians.

Nah, a pope before you prevented people from doing so.
Cuchullain
xStephanx
washu_2004

Nah, a pope before you prevented people from doing so.

But but but, it officially says on the back of my Pope card that I get to excommunicate all other Discordians, so I just went for everyone apart from me.

Unless you can provide me with a significant enough fnord to prove otherwise, I rein supreme! *shuffles*

5,050 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Err... don't kill me for asking... but what is an athame?

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Duncan_the_Soulknight
Err... don't kill me for asking... but what is an athame?
generally a dull, black handled blade, with the tang being only about as long as one's palm.

mainly used to "open the door" when a circle is cast, or direct enery. depending on the tradition, not used for physical cutting at all, but for psychic or spiritual cutting.
The links for the 161 Laws aren't working... crying

And out of curiousity, if Gardner said that the gods of Greece, Rome, and Egypt would be more powerful on their native soil, what would he think/have thought about the Lord and Lady of the Isles being worshipped and invoked in the United States? (Is he dead? Or am I imagining things?)

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Chibikerichan

And out of curiousity, if Gardner said that the gods of Greece, Rome, and Egypt would be more powerful on their native soil, what would he think/have thought about the Lord and Lady of the Isles being worshipped and invoked in the United States? (Is he dead? Or am I imagining things?)
In various Witchcraft traditions (so I'm guessing it could extend to Wicca), there is the notion that Witch-gods are easier to contact in their native homeland, mainly because it is their regular "haunt", so to speak. It's not impossible to call them anywhere else, however, since the world is a whole, not lots of seperate bits divided... it's all interlinked in ways.

Whether it'd be more powerful or not, I'm not sure. Usually I only hear referance to the ease at which said gods are called upon, rather than the gods being more powerful. I suppose it could also be considered more powerful, since a lot in Craft traditions is based on the Land and connections to it... it's taught specifically in mine that before any magical working can or should be done in a place, one must first go out and familiarise themself with the Land and its Otherworldly inhabitants, out of courtesy and respect. And one must redo this action whenever moving to a new place, since there are spirits and powers that are unfamiliar with you there.
This in ways can and does extend to gods and deities themselves, particularly in Craft traditions. Entities embodied in the Land itself will always be felt stronger in its place of origin. Spirits and pale folk will usually be purely native to a local area... gods are usually more widespread, even on a global level sometimes (depends on the god in question), but it can't be denied that location can be a factor, even if only a mental one. I know I'd feel much more in tune invoking Dame Holda in Britain or Germanic places as opposed to, say, Australia. razz
This is a very informative thread, I have bookmarked it for future reference.
Chibikerichan

Actually something I've thought about. I've never heard any specific indication that the Lord and Lady can only be called from their native lands, and our resident Wiccans/ex-Wiccans haven't said anything about it.

There are absolutely some traditions in which gods cannot be invoked outside of their native lands, but I see no reason to believe that Wicca is one of them, though you may be right in saying that they are more powerful in the Isles. It's hard to say either way, and there doesn't seem to be an official Wiccan teaching on it.
Okay, hi peoples. I'm Jake, and I ish teh Druid. I'm an Ovate in the OBDO, an Archdruid in the BDO, and a High Priest in the Order of Hecate. I am strongly against Wiccanism ( I use the term -ism to imply that the belief in the Wiccan ideology has a primarily reconstructionist basis ) and it's belief in 'magicks' and the sort. I am essential a bitheistic believer in two primary forces which made all life on the planet including the Gods and Goddesses of the Tuatha De Dannan. My question is to address those of you who hate Christianity so much. But first I would like to offer my opinion on it...

The criticism I have with Christianity is not so much it's basic fundamentals and principles, for these things are universal in many other Middle Eastern 'book' traditions (i.e. Islam, Zoroastrianism, etc.). The problems that I must cite in the Christian idiology boil down to the practice of these teachings. Jesus himself (according to the very book I am criticising) cast down those who marketed the belief of God in profit within the temple with his fist. Jesus would be appalled at the carrying out of his misconstrewed words and ideals. I believe that Jesus never intended to claim decendence from the Almighty. We must not hate the sinner, but we must hate the sin; etc. The fundamentalists groups of Christianity, and all previous major religions worldwide; from the Aztec death-cult to the Egyptian Absolutism, the misconstrewing of religious information, cause wide-spread sorrow, distrust, and eventual disbandament of the religion in question. Christians do EVERYTHING in the name of their God. And what makes them more dangerous than anyone else is that they believe all other religions to be blasphemey that is punishable by death and the sense of a 'manifest destiny' to be the world's sole religion. It is the arrogance of the Christians that isolate them from other major religious movements, not doctrine. However; I must conclude by pointing out the shakey foundations that this world's most populous faith is built upon. The entire New Testament was pick and chosen from at the various councils, including but not limited to the infamous Constintinian Council of Nicea in which the Gnostic and various other less-popular and late-written books were expelled from the tome entirely. The entire record of Jesus' life is based upon the Gosples of the twelve ( I say thirteen ) Apostles. In actuality, the grandchildren of the apprentices to these men wrote the Gosples. This is simply an overview of the meaning of Christianity's 'problems.'

=)
Kalyani Srijoi
Chibikerichan

Actually something I've thought about. I've never heard any specific indication that the Lord and Lady can only be called from their native lands, and our resident Wiccans/ex-Wiccans haven't said anything about it.

There are absolutely some traditions in which gods cannot be invoked outside of their native lands, but I see no reason to believe that Wicca is one of them, though you may be right in saying that they are more powerful in the Isles. It's hard to say either way, and there doesn't seem to be an official Wiccan teaching on it.

Hee, just something that caught my eye. Is definitely an interesting question.

he who is called: HUH?!?!? Where'd all this stuff about Christianity come in? I don't think there was much mention of it at all in the OP...

I'm so confused.

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
he who is called
Okay, hi peoples. I'm Jake, and I ish teh Druid. I'm an Ovate in the OBDO, an Archdruid in the BDO, and a High Priest in the Order of Hecate.

What makes you think you're a Druid? I thought they were a part of the Celtic system that died out without leaving too many written records on the specifics what their particular branch did.

Silly question but what does OBDO stand for?

What does it mean to be an Archdruid and how does one become such?

What does BDO stand for?

Is Hecate Celtic in nature, I thought she was from the Greek pantheons? How exactly do you work that into your worship?

Quote:
I am strongly against Wiccanism ( I use the term -ism to imply that the belief in the Wiccan ideology has a primarily reconstructionist basis )

But Wiccanism isn't a word. Also Wicca doesn't have a reconstructionalist base, didn't you read the first posts? Wicca takes from a lot of other faiths, but it isn't old or in need of reconstruction.

Also why are you against Wicca?

Quote:
I am essential a bitheistic believer in two primary forces which made all life on the planet including the Gods and Goddesses of the Tuatha De Dannan.

How does this relate to what you stated you practiced at the top of your post? Call me stupid, but I have no idea what you follow and I'm a little confused by all the titles that don't seem to line up with the Gods and Goddesses you follow.

Quote:
My question is to address those of you who hate Christianity so much.

rolleyes

What does this opinion or thoughts have to do with Wicca and why did you feel it applied to the topic?

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
he who is called
Okay, hi peoples. I'm Jake, and I ish teh Druid. I'm an Ovate in the OBDO, an Archdruid in the BDO, and a High Priest in the Order of Hecate.

The Druids were a caste of the Celtic peoples and were wiped out by a combination of the Christianisation of Europe and the Penal laws placed on the Celtic civilisations by the English Empire.
Just because OBOD call themselves druids does not make it so, the Brehon is quite specific on what one needs to do in order to become a druid and it is no longer possible.
That, and there is no cultural context for druids.
However, let's put your claim to the test. I have friends in OBOD. Name yourself. As a Gael and member of the Irish Nobility through my McChiaran blood lines and McCarroll bloodlines, I demand your name and chapter. Forum rules demand that any claim made be backed up, I am providing you a means to do so so either put up or shut up.

he who is called
I am strongly against Wiccanism ( I use the term -ism to imply that the belief in the Wiccan ideology has a primarily reconstructionist basis )

So, on top of being a cultural rapist (or does your surname actually appear in the book of the gael), you are an utter hypocrite? OBOD are a reconstructionist foundation.
And the ism just makes you look like an ignorant fool.

he who is called
and it's belief in 'magicks' and the sort. I am essential a bitheistic believer in two primary forces which made all life on the planet including the Gods and Goddesses of the Tuatha De Dannan.

What you are talking about is inwardly inconsistent.
The Gods and Goddesses of the Tuatha de Dannan are distinct entities and are incompatible with soft polythiesm.
I'll allow people with enough christian scripture to shred your arguments on christianity. And, as happens whenever a "druid" comes on to these forums, I look forward to it happening.

You people really make me sick.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
blindfaith^_^
Is Hecate Celtic in nature, I thought she was from the Greek pantheons? How exactly do you work that into your worship?

By culturally raping her. Duh!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces