Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey, a new poll! Would you be willing to help update the (rather lacking) information on the front page?

No thanks - I'm here to learn and I don't think I know enough. 0.14197530864198 14.2% [ 23 ]
No thanks - I'm just not interested. 0.08641975308642 8.6% [ 14 ]
No thanks - I'm absurdly busy! 0.1358024691358 13.6% [ 22 ]
Maybe, depending. I want to ask Gil a few questions first. 0.25308641975309 25.3% [ 41 ]
Of course I would! I'll go PM Gil right now. 0.049382716049383 4.9% [ 8 ]
I like clicking options on polls 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 54 ]
Total Votes:[ 162 ]

5,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Is it common at all that people who fall under a category in the GLBT-umbrella don't like to call themselves such?

I recently realised that I can be romantically and sexually attracted to males, something which I'd just never really...thought of before (despite being teased for such during high school and college). I'm not terribly eager to begin using "bisexual" to describe myself, however. It seems to carry unfortunate implications (mostly for females).

I suppose I simply don't like labels.

StarLightBreak's Husband

Married Noob

9,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Das Mannlein
Is it common at all that people who fall under a category in the GLBT-umbrella don't like to call themselves such?

I recently realised that I can be romantically and sexually attracted to males, something which I'd just never really...thought of before (despite being teased for such during high school and college). I'm not terribly eager to begin using "bisexual" to describe myself, however. It seems to carry unfortunate implications (mostly for females).

I despised the fact that'd I'd have to be described as "Gay" for the rest of my life at first, but now I really don't care. I think you really just have to get used to it and accept it.

5,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
scovill99999
Das Mannlein

I despised the fact that'd I'd have to be described as "Gay" for the rest of my life at first, but now I really don't care. I think you really just have to get used to it and accept it.
I guess it really does make it easier to communicate your preferences if you use those labels... I've never even given much thought to my sexuality before, so it's not as though I strongly identified with being "heterosexual" until now. I suppose it's just the fact that it's now something I should even have to think of that's throwing me off.

StarLightBreak's Husband

Married Noob

9,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Das Mannlein
scovill99999
Das Mannlein

I guess it really does make it easier to communicate your preferences if you use those labels... I've never even given much thought to my sexuality before, so it's not as though I strongly identified with being "heterosexual" until now. I suppose it's just the fact that it's now something I should even have to think of that's throwing me off.

Yeah, I know how that feels, I'd never thought about anything like that until last year. It just wasn't something that I ever thought of.

Greedy Fatcat

Das Mannlein

I was like that at first, especially because I identify as bisexual but certainly don't fit the stereotype as this promiscuous prowling wild animal just waiting to sleep with everyone, or that I'm just seeking attention. But now it feels just as natural as it felt to not-think-about-it-probably-straight. Like I don't actively think about being of some sexual orientation, I just am.
Also I get to go on this great one-woman-campaign to change how people view bisexuals (or homosexuals in my case as people feel more comfortable thinking me lesbian due to my long same-sex partnership. Doesn't change MY orientation though, I'm still bi).

It can take time to get used to not thinking heteronormatively and the labels can feel unpleasant and alien. It's of course up to you if you want to use them or not. In my personal opinion it gets easier with time and you no longer actively process it after you've come to terms with who you are.

Malevolent Firestarter

5,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
I never felt anything wrong with any of them. I don't even see them as labels, really.

5,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Karoish
Das Mannlein

I was like that at first, especially because I identify as bisexual but certainly don't fit the stereotype as this promiscuous prowling wild animal just waiting to sleep with everyone, or that I'm just seeking attention. But now it feels just as natural as it felt to not-think-about-it-probably-straight. Like I don't actively think about being of some sexual orientation, I just am.
Also I get to go on this great one-woman-campaign to change how people view bisexuals (or homosexuals in my case as people feel more comfortable thinking me lesbian due to my long same-sex partnership. Doesn't change MY orientation though, I'm still bi).

It can take time to get used to not thinking heteronormatively and the labels can feel unpleasant and alien. It's of course up to you if you want to use them or not. In my personal opinion it gets easier with time and you no longer actively process it after you've come to terms with who you are.

It's a lot more pleasant actually talking to others who feel this way, rather than just reading the descriptions for each of the terms. Thank you for replying. I don't really care about campaigning against the stereotypes, but I also am just very new to all of this. I think I'm going to attend my city's gay pride event this summer and see how I feel about being any more 'active'. (I have a feeling I'm going to be working against that same assumption (of being gay as opposed to bisexual, I mean), as my current partner is another man.)

That makes sense. It's not quite like me to worry about what others think, anyway, I suppose I'm just flustered by realising that something as natural to me as my sexuality is suddenly...different, even though I suspect it was of course always like this and I just hadn't noticed.

Feral Kitten

I don't see them as labels. I just see me as me.
Das Mannlein

You're not alone. I don't like to call myself bisexual, for pretty much the same reasons.
Seriously now, I hate being male with every fiber of my being. The fact I was born male just feels like a punch in the face. Occasionally I don't mind, being male does have some benefits, but I still continually wish to be female and forego the benefits of being male. Besides, these days they aren't too much greater than female benefits. I mostly mean physical strength and pissing standing up, but I can live without either of those. So, I need some assistance in coming out with this to family who I know for a fact are going to hate it, probably indefinitely. What the hell do I say?

After I manage to get that out of the way, or maybe I should put it off, but what about the therapy required? And the surgeries? How long will I have to spend in therapy until someone signs off on treatments? How long until you see physical changes when you look at yourself in the mirror? Does body hair stop growing in places only males get it? You know, chest and face? If not, I get so little there in the first damn place it really doesn't matter. I only have to shave my chin like, once a month and my chest I can pluck with tweezers and be done with it. Will I grow breasts rapidly or are implants a better option? Natural breasts don't look any different from fake to me, and as long as I don't go over a B Cup I don't give a damn.

I suppose that's it, if I left anything out you think should be addressed, fill me in. Sorry for the wall of text anyway, but this is a pretty serious thing to consider, would you have expected anything less?

I was linked here from a topic I created in LI, this is just copypasta of my post, but it asks all I need answered and leaves it open for you to fill me in on anything I forgot. Like voice changing, which I'm remembering now. <3

Also, if they were to ask me to live life as a woman, what exactly would I do since it's not men's clothes I am uncomfortable with, just my gender? I'm actually quite fond of male clothing, though heels on occasion wouldn't be so bad. Uh, well, thanks for the help in advance? biggrin Gah. D: It's amazing how awkward I feel right now.

5,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Ronin Greywolf
Das Mannlein

You're not alone. I don't like to call myself bisexual, for pretty much the same reasons.

I suppose it's not something that's likely to often come up for me in conversations, but I will probably have a lot of people assuming I'm gay instead now, since I'm in a relationship with a man.

It seems a lot of people either have the same reservations as me, or had them and have gotten over them. Perhaps I'll outgrow its newness as well. How long have you been identifying as bisexual?

Friendly Citizen

hello, hello c:
so speaking of labels..
About a month ago I had to fill in this form and it said "check mark your gender" ..I was looking at the two options of male and female and was actually stumped xD;

I'm biologically female but at times..wish and feel like I'm male while seldom times..I actually feel 'more feminine'.

Anyway so..I was looking at those two words like they were written in latin and it actually took me a good couple of seconds to be like: Oh yeah..I'm 'female', lol.

It's even slightly embarassing when my parents are standing over my shoulder and I'm pausing at what would seem like a very simple question.

I guess, in my mind, I was actively searching for a 3rd option than the default 'male/female'.
Somewhere along the lines of genderfluid or just 'neutral'.

I'm fairly comfortable with just 'being', you know?

With simply being neither of those genders but a balance or combination of the two [moreso with being male].

I'll always be attracted to guys though as a biological female..I just feel more masculine at times and that's perfectly okay.

I feel a sense of freedom in that. Something that no one can take away from me..and define me.

Friendly Citizen

64Oz Soda

Awh, don't feel awkward, luv. It's nice to see someone opening up like this. c:
Have you checked out any of the Youtube documentaries on male to female surgeries/procedures?
They can give you some insight to most of your questions.

Here's a link to many documentaries on Youtube that you may peruse.
Male to Female Documentary

Friendly Citizen

This man..is completely gorgeous inside and out.

I am honestly scared to come out to my family and tell them how I feel. They're asian.. lol if that makes any difference and honestly I don't mean to offend or stereotype my own race .. thing is.. I know they laugh at trans/gays/les/bi's/etc. Whenever my family sees two guys holding hands, for instance, they laugh and make fun behind their back and it's really immature and disrespectful to be hearing that from my own blood.. so if I were to actually come out and say..Hey guys..I feel like a guy and I want to take T because frankly.. I'd be more comfortable being a guy, they probably won't be as supportive as I'd hope.

I don't mind being biologically female however. I just tend to dress in male clothes and that's fine with me. I'm 23 years old, I have yet to move out and find a job to which I'm currently and actively applying to numerous companies. I have yet to hear back from them.

Once I'm settled and have a job, I may look into male transformation once I'm more physically toned, financially stable, and have my own place.

Breaking the news is just something I feel very hesitant about.
Death Before Dish0nor

This man..is completely gorgeous inside and out.

I am honestly scared to come out to my family and tell them how I feel. They're asian.. lol if that makes any difference and honestly I don't mean to offend or stereotype my own race .. thing is.. I know they laugh at trans/gays/les/bi's/etc. Whenever my family sees two guys holding hands, for instance, they laugh and make fun behind their back and it's really immature and disrespectful to be hearing that from my own blood.. so if I were to actually come out and say..Hey guys..I feel like a guy and I want to take T because frankly.. I'd be more comfortable being a guy, they probably won't be as supportive as I'd hope.

I don't mind being biologically female however. I just tend to dress in male clothes and that's fine with me. I'm 23 years old, I have yet to move out and find a job to which I'm currently and actively applying to numerous companies. I have yet to hear back from them.

Once I'm settled and have a job, I may look into male transformation once I'm more physically toned, financially stable, and have my own place.

Breaking the news is just something I feel very hesitant about.

Luckily I've always been fairly lazy and have no muscle mass or tone. I'm not fat, just not muscular, so I won't end up looking awful because of that. Since it won't change bone structure either, I'll have to become a lot more skilled with makeup, even though I'm not particularly masculine, in fact with long hair and completely shaved face (not letting the chin hair grow to look like a douche) my mother told me I looked like a girl. ._. Though she may have been being a smart a** and trying to convince me to get a haircut. I honestly do not know. Either way her remark made me feel pretty good.

People also tend to assume I am female online unless I tell 'em otherwise. It's like I was ******** over completely by destiny. -.- Oh wait, I was.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff