Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Noob

My on again off again Fiance (In my pic) is deaf, she's the most incredible person I know. Just saying.

Party Member

Epic Rave Monster
They're lucky to not have to hear all the bullshit people say. Sometimes I wish I were deaf..
User Image

stare

Party Member

grinningjester
I arrested a deaf man and it was one of the most difficult things I had to do. Putting handcuffs on him denied him the ability to communicate, because he could no longer use his hands. As soon as he was handcuffed he lost it. He could read lips, so he could mostly understand, but he couldn't ask questions. I felt so bad for him.
User Image

There's no protocol for that? Like cuffing him in the front?
I assume this isn't in america, because that's got to violate the ADA.

Conservative Seeker

User Image

I don't think any different of deaf people, I've a good amount of friends and family that are either deaf, mute and/or know JSL/ASL. When I was younger, people would jokingly consider me a mute because I never uttered a word until 3rd-4th grade, and I was always stuck with my uncle who was an actual mute. I also have another uncle who is deaf.
User Image

User Image
I think every deaf person I encountered from middle school to high school suffered from more than just being deaf. It was generally accompanied by some additional learning disability(ies). For this reason they never really got to interact with other students.

Opinions on deaf people? I would imagine that they are people and deserve the same amount of respect that any non-deaf person would expect to receive. What I'm curious about is how was being deaf affected you personally? Did it have an excessively impact on how you were raised? Do you feel like you would be a different person if you were not deaf?

Sexy Turtle

Schatten Nyx
I find them to be a bit rude and impatient. I mean, I know it has to be annoying that people aren't familiar with ASL (myself included). But every time I try to talk to them they get annoyed with me and quit trying. I'm pretty sure most of them know how to read lips but yeah. sweatdrop

Not all are rude, I am very patient and I was told that I am too sweet and funny. So it is based on who they are, no one is the same.

User Image
Eiraa
I would love to learn sign language. I've been looking into night courses to take after school.

Yay! Take it, the pay to work as an interpreter pays good. wink We need more interpreter actually.

User Image
MiameMiame
I worked with deaf people, to be honest; I don't think they are special. They're like everyone else except they can't hear. I do feel sorry for them sometimes, I love listening to music.

No one is special, I, myself dont feel so special and I am proud to be Deaf. I know that I have missed a lot of things such as Music but I have my own passion anyways.

User Image
grinningjester
I arrested a deaf man and it was one of the most difficult things I had to do. Putting handcuffs on him denied him the ability to communicate, because he could no longer use his hands. As soon as he was handcuffed he lost it. He could read lips, so he could mostly understand, but he couldn't ask questions. I felt so bad for him.

I was arrested too as well and it wasnt good experience, I cant even write when my hands were in the back and I feel like I was worthless. But it has to be done for safe reason I guess.

User Image
ragnaroknroll

lovely avi! 4laugh

I have a friend who is hearing but both of her parents are deaf. They're all very nice. :3 I don't know sign language so my friend just translates. sweatdrop

Thank you, I like your avatar too.

Ohh, that is called CODA. Hearing, with deaf parents. I always dream of dating a CODA lolUser Image

Benevolent Smoker

I think it's pretty cool that they can read lips. I wish I could do that.

Versatile Duelist

Deaf people are LOUD!

My brother's best friend/roommate is nearly deaf and his sister is completely deaf. They're awesome people, but they sure don't have a concept of how loud they can be. It can be frustrating trying to communicate with them, too, because we get messages mixed up fairly often, but then I've never been properly taught ASL or how to properly speak to people who have to read lips.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between Deaf and deaf?

Party Member

Doctor Twister
I think it's pretty cool that they can read lips. I wish I could do that.
User Image

You can learn, just like they do. It's called oralism

Friendly Guildsman

Kinny Fear
grinningjester
User Image

There's no protocol for that? Like cuffing him in the front?
I assume this isn't in america, because that's got to violate the ADA.

It does not violate any ADA laws, and yes it was in America. You can read about the case law here:
http://hearinghealthmatters.org/lawandhearing/2012/deaf-detainee-applicability-of-ada-during-investigation-part-ii/

An interpreter was obtained as soon as possible, which was when he arrived at the jail.

Basically, during interrogation, you must be allowed to communicate and accommodations for disability must be made. This gentleman, however, had voluntarily submitted to a breath alcohol test which he'd agreed to in writing. He was over double the legal limit. After this point, we stopped asking questions because any further interrogation would have violated his rights because he'd not be able to respond, and arrested him on probable cause for DUI based on the accident he'd been in, witness statements about weaving, and his breath test.

Friendly Guildsman

Black Lust Perfume

I was arrested too as well and it wasnt good experience, I cant even write when my hands were in the back and I feel like I was worthless. But it has to be done for safe reason I guess.

User Image

Exactly. Pretty much everyone working in my area came to that call trying to figure out how to handle him, because we didn't want to violate his rights, but at the same time he was drunk and belligerent and driving. I ended up taking him even though it wasn't my call because I could sign the alphabet and a few important words like thank you, yes, and no. I still felt bad. I can't imagine not being able to communicate.

Were you frightened when you were arrested? Did they have an interpreter? What would you recommend to an officer trying to arrest someone who is deaf, knowing that they have to be handcuffed behind their back?

Bloodsucker

In 5th grade when I played basketball there was a girl that was Deaf on my team. We didn't have too many complications with playing. Whenever she wanted the ball she would just put her hands up or make noises.
I reaally want to learn sign language.

Party Member

grinningjester
It does not violate any ADA laws, and yes it was in America. You can read about the case law here:
http://hearinghealthmatters.org/lawandhearing/2012/deaf-detainee-applicability-of-ada-during-investigation-part-ii/

An interpreter was obtained as soon as possible, which was when he arrived at the jail.

Basically, during interrogation, you must be allowed to communicate and accommodations for disability must be made. This gentleman, however, had voluntarily submitted to a breath alcohol test which he'd agreed to in writing. He was over double the legal limit. After this point, we stopped asking questions because any further interrogation would have violated his rights because he'd not be able to respond, and arrested him on probable cause for DUI based on the accident he'd been in, witness statements about weaving, and his breath test.
User Image

I see. Thank you for the link. 3nodding

Tipsy Paladin

10,325 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Crack Shot 50
British Tourettes
I only met one deaf person. He seemed really nice despite being unable to give us directions due to the inability to communicate with one another. I know very little sign language.
Try writing messages next time. Even though deaf people can't talk to or hear you, they most certainly can write back and forth with you! Directions are better when they're written anyway.

My friend's dad is deaf. He's friggin' awesome.
Since I don't know much ASL (only what I've retained form Girl Scouts, which ended for me about a decade ago) we write in a note pad to communicate. He's a fabulous person. Though he has freaked me out by flashing his lights at me and swerving around when trying to get my attention while driving behind me... I guess deaf people don't think to use their horn, since they can't hear it (I know that his works, since my friend has honked at me before). He's also shined his car-mounted spot-light into my window to let me know he was at my house before (this was before my friend could drive; and I wasn't driving that night).

I really want to learn ASL so that my friend doesn't have to constantly translate for us, and so that we don't have to always write down our conversations.

((P.S.: My friend is hearing, but her first language was ASL, as both of her parents are deaf))
It's very unfortunate. I was kissed by a deaf girl in middle-school, but she didn't wanna be my gf sad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff