Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Ladykiller

Me? I am a deaf person. 3nodding

Friendly Gaian

6,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
there are some. for example i work helping a woman who just came here from DR and she is deaf. She knows spanish but her speech is really bad and now she knows american sign language, so yes there are plenty of deaf people who don;t speak english
Black Lust Perfume
British Tourettes
Black Lust Perfume
British Tourettes
I only met one deaf person. He seemed really nice despite being unable to give us directions due to the inability to communicate with one another. I know very little sign language.
Thats sucks! Maybe have paper and pen just in case if you bump into a Deaf person?
I think I'm going to from now on. As long as we speak the same language there should be no problems with communicating through writing.
You expect Deaf people not knowing English? o.O

Timid Raider

I am a Very Bad Person.

Deaf people and people in wheelchairs have always irritated me profoundly for no apparent reason. I have very little patience for those two disabilities. (Lack of empathy shining through, guys. Sorry, but autism, actually.)

Whenever I meet someone who's deaf I pretend to be visually impaired so I don't have to deal with them and leave it to someone else. I suppose it's better than getting ******** off and cussing them out loudly in a public place. That'd look worse than shirking the whole thing altogether.

Sexy Turtle

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I went to school with a few deaf kids. There were twins in my class that were mostly deaf and wore hearing aids, and had a giant speaker and the teacher had to wear a microphone that played get voice through the speaker. I liked sitting next to their speaker. And they were really nice and like totally "normal" anyway. And there was a deaf girl in a class ahead of me that spoke with a strange voice and read lips really well and knew sign language. She was terribly mean. I tried to avoid her.

In your long list, there was one about gaining weight. Why is that? I didn't understand.

I've always wanted to learn sign language. I know a lot of the alphabet, but not any words. I have a pinterest board full of sign language stuff, though. I'd like to learn, though. I always thought it would be a good skill in life.

Bashful Phantom

I occasionally see people come through the store where I work who are deaf. I never realize until they start using sign language and then I just awkwardly shake my head and smile and mouth things until their transaction's done. I probably handle these situations really badly but I've never properly met or interacted with a deaf person so I just draw a blank. sweatdrop

Shirtless Detective

7,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
I was actually involved with a guy who was deaf about 5 years ago... I learned a lot from him, but unfortunately, I forgot about half of the sign language :

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Ive worked with several deaf children and ended up teaching myself fluent American sign so I could teach them (I did child care for 4years). I actually perfer sign language over vocal languages. Im not deaf , but I am hard of hearing and it gets worse every year. Im a huge supporter of deaf communities and often translate for people who dont know sign. Ive been pushing hard for movie theaters and basically all public visual tv to include subtitles for those who are deaf and hard of hearing. Still no luck on that -_-
I myself am hearing impaired. I was born that way. I've got 50% hearing loss in both ears, well it's probably more in my left ear. I also have tinnitus. I've got the second worse hearing loss in the family next to my dad, who might as well be deaf without his hearing aids.
For a long time I was really ashamed I was hearing impaired and never told anyone, not even my best friend til we graduated high school. It was mainly because of the teachers. They treated me like I was retarded and talked to me like I didn't speak english. It took a few years but now when I meet people I tell him I'm hearing impaired and when they talk to me I need them to look at me so I can hear them better and read their lips.
I used to be really scared about going deaf but now I'm, "Eh, things could be a bit more quiet". My mom hates it when I joke like that, haha.

I don't understand people who find deaf or hearing impaired people frustrating. We rely on people's body language and facial expressions to really understand what they're saying, and that's all people have to do is be a bit more animated. The only deaf people I know are a family friend and his wife. She's really funny. Neither of them speak asl so we talk like we're playing charades.

I have been discriminated when trying to find a job. For example- this hippie shop downtown was hiring and during the interview the boss asked me if I had any disabilities (which they aren't allowed to ask) and I said I was hearing impaired. She straight up told me she didn't want 'my kind' working in her store and that I should find a place better suited for someone like me. Like, her ******** shop played chime music and she forbade people to be loud or talk on their phones in her store. Plus the store did palm reading so people have to be quite. Oh don't want a deaf girl to work in your store cause she might not hear the customers wanting to ring up their ******** incense sticks.

Wild Comrade

Sign language is one of the hardest forms of communication for hearing people to learn judging from how often people are at the tutor's.

Interesting Businesswoman

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

I met a deaf girl in high school. She was beyond sweet. She has a son now. I did graduate high school almost 10 years ago now... ASL should be taught in schools. I know a bit of it, but I plan to learn it completely in the future.

Sexy Turtle

ponponpon way x2
Sign language is one of the hardest forms of communication for hearing people to learn judging from how often people are at the tutor's.
Not always, some people can be fast learner, some are slow learner, for example- it took my lover only 6 months to be able to chat normal in sign language. One of my ex- took him 3 years and isnt that great.
I don't remember a whole lot of ASL from high school. I know just enough to talk to the deaf guy at work.

My experiences now have been mixed. I've met some nice people and then idiots who think that you have to be completely lacking in any hearing at all to be deaf, and anyone else isn't deaf and shouldn't be allowed to use sign language.

Most of my coworkers think they're just rude people because they think they're ignoring them or something.
Jesus christ, I remember when this thread was made.

fReemade Ran's Partner

Omnipresent Traveler

Teaching my baby ASL. She learned to sign before talking, now she does both. cat_whee Some schools are including ASL into their cirrculum as an alternative language, {like Spanish or German}.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff