Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Phantom

Learning sign language is definitely something I'd like to do in my life when I have the time for it. I don't know too much about the deaf culture or what it's like to be deaf. I have one friend who is deaf, and she told me that, in a boyfriend, it's very important for him to be understanding.
I'm HoH (Hard of Hearing). I lost a good chunk of my hearing when I was about four, to something called Cytomegalovirus. As far as I know, it was sudden- I went from Hearing to Hard of Hearing in the blink of an eye. I don't remember ever being able to hear in my right ear, and I'm ok with that. I wear a hearing aid in my left ear and am completely deaf in my right. I know some ASL, but not enough to really be fluent. A few short sentences here and there. I used to be more fluent but as the years have passed, I've forgotten a good chunk of it, which saddens me. I think ASL and Sign Language in general is beautiful and poetic and I wish I was more fluent.

The deaf vs. Deaf thing is fairly new in the d/Deaf community, as far as I know. Its purpose is to make the distinction between those who are medically Deaf, and those who are deaf- usually referring to people who are HoH or otherwise not totally medically Deaf, but are a part of d/Deaf Culture, are fluent in ASL and are a part of the d/Deaf community. (Feel free to correct me if I'm not entirely accurate about this, folks)
Frantic Search
Learning sign language is definitely something I'd like to do in my life when I have the time for it. I don't know too much about the deaf culture or what it's like to be deaf. I have one friend who is deaf, and she told me that, in a boyfriend, it's very important for him to be understanding.

ASL is like any language- if you don't use it, you lose it! I hope you have the chance to learn. It's a beautiful language.

Quotable Prophet

My cousin was talking to me about a character from a story she's writing and one of her characters were deaf and without missing a beat I asked her could the character read. It took me a few seconds to realize what I just said and she won't let me live it down

Star

Ahhh! I'm a culture-whore, so I'm absolutely fascinated by deaf culture just like I am by the culture of other countries, religions, etc.

There's a lady who attends my uni who is deaf (I'll call her Pam for all intensive purposes). Her daughter is a CODA, lucky girl...both Pam and her husband are Deaf.

I've taken two sign language courses in college, one beginner and one advanced, and have been sort of educated in deaf culture and etiquette when speaking to a deaf person through an interpreter. I think that's why Pam and I get along so well, because I really like making an effort to get to know not only her, but her lifestyle too. She's very sociable and cool, and her daughter is just s'damn cute!

Actually, it's fascinating, because her daughter doesn't officially have an English name. The sign is beautiful though, and we can guess the pronunciation based on how they spelled it on her birth certificate. So cool. emotion_kirakira

Hallowed Lunatic

People should learn basic sign to be able to communicate.

Sort of like how if you visit another country for a week, you learn certain parts of the language.

We should do that with sign.

Considering the majority of parents with deaf children fail to learn sign language to communicate with their own ******** kid, the rest of us should step it up.

Green Smoker

Frantic Search

I'm just saying, that should be a quality in anyone's potential significant other. mrgreen

Interesting Phantom

Torii Tattle
Frantic Search

I'm just saying, that should be a quality in anyone's potential significant other. mrgreen

Yeah, totally. whee

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I have issues with my ear canals so while I'm not deaf, I am prone to frequent ear infections and often develop problems with my hearing and have to have my ears cleared out several times a year. My husband and I know a bit of sign language so we can communicate better if there's noise blocking out the hearing I have left when it happens, like if we're at the mall and I can't hear him talking over the music or something. I think sign language is lovely and I've been told it's a very sweet thing for him to do for me, but goodness I am thankful my hearing loss is only temporary when it happens.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
I see some occasionally, what I don't like is how sign language didn't get any respect in either of my two linguistics classes. It was like "oh if we have time maybe this" and in the other class it was "just ignore the sign language section." @_@ it made me so frustrated. I deal with conductive hearing loss, so I can get my hearing problems resolved, but I have to see the doctor annually to get them cleaned. The last time I went the Dr went. :"woah this is impressive, I can' see the drums."

Demonic Sex Symbol

Actually, both of my parents are deaf since they were babes, so I thought living with them is a normal, everyday life. My siblings and I had been learning to use American Sign Language since we were toddlers and we used that to "speak" with our parents and/or other Deaf person.

It can be a little difficult since having deaf parents, you need to help them in any form (for example, speaking with the teacher, ect..)
I couldn't care how different they are, I'm happy to know that I have both caring parents who loves me and it seems I get to live in both worlds.

User Image
I know many people who are deaf, some of which I have become good friends with. I still have yet to learn sign language, but I always have a pad of paper and a pencil with me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff