Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green Smoker

After going through a lot of the comments in this thread, I'm shocked that so many people have never met a deaf person. Like, damn. I went to school with deaf people all my life, it's been common for me since forever. In HS I started taking ASL classes with an amazing teacher, and she sprouted my love for ASL and the Deaf culture.

Sign Language:
I am fluent in ASL. I love it, and can't wait to start teaching it to others.

Deaf Culture:
Don't feel pity for Deaf people. They want to be who they are. And if they don't, they can get implants to be able to hear.

My personal experiences with Deaf people:
I've never met a mean deaf person. They know that most people can't understand sign language, but some kids in my HS would f*ck with people and sign all crazy at them just to freak them out. It worked, and it was funny. XD

My views, or perception, about Deaf people:
They're an extremely active community, with good values, and still have the potential to have enriching lives.

The difference between Deaf and deaf:
THIS IS A BIG DEAL, PEOPLE.
Deaf with a little D means that you are medically deaf. Like, you can't hear.
Deaf with a big D has more to do with the community and the culture. .
at work i met this one deaf guy who was really hot
like the hottest deaf guy
ever

Sexy Turtle

liishaa
at work i met this one deaf guy who was really hot
like the hottest deaf guy
ever
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

*Giggle* Ever try to hang out with him? wink User Image

Loved Member

Amazing to know that there's other deaf person on Gaia!

:O

What is your name?!

Green Smoker

_d0ll-like_
Wait, why would someone even have a problem with someone for being deaf?

Being deaf isn't a choice for ******** sake. I'd punch someone in the face for disrespecting someone for being deaf.

Good! I would, too.
Sadly deaf people get bullied all the time. I really don't understand it. It's like, would you bully someone who couldn't smell? No.

Green Smoker

Black Lust Perfume
The Nigardly Quixote

Nice! surprised How do you feel now?
Happy. But waiting for Oct 18 to come to activate my sound processor.

From what I researched and talked to CI people, they said that there was so much dizzy, balance off, feeling sick, throwing up, etc but...

For me. None of those. Just pain on wound area. I want to go out but I think it is best to rest a bit more.User Image
Oh, good luck on the 18th! I hope everything works out for you well. biggrin

Green Smoker

Melarina
User Image
User Image
I've never met a deaf person. But I have no ill thoughts towards them what so ever. The deaf really interest me, actually.
I'm not sure if this questions has already been asked or explained (Or if it's just obvious), but I've always wondered how some one that is deaf learns sign language or braille. Or even how to read lips and understand what the words mean. I almost feel like it's as difficult as trying to explain a color to some one who is blind. But that's just me.

Deaf kids learn ASL the same way any kid learns their first language, just switch out the verbal words for physical signs.
For example, show the kid a banana, sign banana, give banana. The child will make it click. biggrin

Green Smoker

Toxilicks
I just learned how screwed over deaf people can be in court. Well, actually, a lot of disabled people. Apparently somewhere in Sydney a bus driver violently molested eight disabled children, and basically the parents were told that because the children were disabled, they can't be absolutely certain (or something along those lines) so the c**t gets off scot-free.

THIS.

Green Smoker

Kaoruko Hashimi
madame13
Kaoruko Hashimi
madame13
Deaf people are great people.

Not necessarily. Some of them are assholes or bitches just like some hearing people.

That's not nice.

Truth isn't always nice? Can't say every deaf individual is a great person. Being deaf doesn't automatically make you "great." lol

Exactly. I've met people who were really proud to be Deaf on both ends of the spectrum. Some who were just proud and happy and nice, and then others who were proud and hated hearing people.

Green Smoker

probiee
I wanna learn sign language. smile

Aslpro.com!

Green Smoker

werethnal
I had a foster child that was deaf. It was a difficult situation because I didn't know she was deaf until about 20 months into the situation. I could tell something wasn't right but the foster system had me jump through hoops to get her tested and then insisted that I try to teach her ASL so we could function later on without extra assistance. She was a little older than my youngest so they seemed to have their own system of communication. She is no longer with me because of a broken system but I miss her. Sorry that wasn't exactly on topic, deaf people can be awesome.

That is absolutely heartbreaking. I'm so sorry you weren't able to keep her.
I had an ASL teacher who would preach about this. Deaf kids get stuck in the foster system all the time and there are very few foster parents who are prepared for them. I'm not trying to down on you, werethnal, the system should have discovered she was deaf long before she was ever put in a home. heart
Sign Language:

I'm fluent in ASL, hearing.
I am a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults)
I'm 21 and work with the deaf and hard of hearing<3
ASL was my first language.
I was a mute up until third grade.
I am currently in the process of slowly losing my hearing.
I have 3 deaf aunts and a deaf dog that I love with all my heart(:
I aspire to be an art teacher for Deaf kids.

Deaf Culture:

Just like any culture or religion-
Deaf and hard of hearing have their own culture along with the people involved in it.
The Deaf have their own morals they believe in.
They feel certain things are respectful and disrespectful.

Your personal experiences with Deaf people:

I grew up around the Deaf,
I eat, sleep and breathe the Deaf culture<3
I live the Deaf culture.
I live in the hearing, Deaf and CODA world.

Your views, or perception, about Deaf people:

Deaf people are just like hearing people.
They can do anything a hearing person can do except hear.
Being Deaf doesn't mean you're stupid.
It may make things hard at times.
But deaf people can be and are smart too<3

Unfortunately the Deaf are taken advantage of too often sadly.
I feel that it should not happen and it's cruel.
The Deaf are normal humans too(:
They should be treated fairly AND equally.
<3

Political controversies of the Deaf Community:

Sadly the deaf are misunderstood.
Sometimes they are treated like s**t.
They do not deserve that at all

Political controversies of the Deaf are mainly about SEE signing vs ASL.
Along with cochlear implants.

I prefer ASL.
ASL is a way of communication that is used with symbols and imagery.
SEE signing is Signing Exact English, basically signing word for word.
Example- if you sign "I want to go the the park" in ASL- you would sign "Me want go park."
In SEE signing you would sign every single word.
SEE signing involves past tense, future tense and so on.
It's more grammaticly correct.
But ASL is an easier way of communicating for most of the Deaf because they are very visual.
Unfortunately since in ASL it does not include word for word signing-
sometimes it causes Deaf individuals a hard time with English and grammar in general.

I prefer ASL.
But all in all,
I believe the individual has the right to decide how they want to communicate.

There is also the Oral way of communicating,
I don;t like that personally because it's hard for most Deaf individuals,
and it also has a high failure rate.

But overall- do what makes you happy(:

Another debate in the Deaf world is about Cochlear Implants.
This is an issue in the Deaf world/culture because some people feel-
that you should not have to change,
that you should be you and except yourself as you are.

"D"eaf pride also comes into this,
sometimes Deaf individuals are VERY proud to be Deaf and that IS fantastic!<3
But this can also cause individuals to feel it is not okay to get a cochlear implant.

Another problem with cochlear implants is that it is a life changing event,
some babies and children are forced into getting the surgical procedure done.
But sometimes Deaf individuals WANT to get the implant to hear more or they dislike being Deaf.

It depends on the individual(;

I'm not a fan of cochlear implants myself,
BUT I believe THE Deaf individual should be able to DECIDE on THEIR own if they would like the implant or not. Sometimes it's unfair to an individual when they grow up and they dislike the implant.

So I feel it's best to let an individual choose on their own once they are 18+ if they would like the implant. I feel that if the individual does not understand what the implant it, they should not get it. Once they understand what the implant is- it's all up to them(:

Another thing is-
Unforunately, the surgical procedure of getting the implant has a high failure rate and can be a very painful experience. It can cause nausea, dizziness, depression,

Growing up, I had a Deaf friend who committed suicide because she was unhappy with her cochlear implant. She was forced into getting the implant at age 3. As shegrew older she disliked the implant alot. Sadly she took her own life away. I miss her dearly<3 R.I.P my old friend<33

Overall, let the individual decide if they would like the implant when they are an adult is the best choice in my opinion.

Everything I have shared are examples of controversial debates in the Deaf world.
If anyone took offense to anything I said i apologize<3
I am open minded and feel that individuals should make decisions on their own.
The Deaf should not be oppressed or forced into anything<3

The difference between Deaf and deaf:

"D"eaf with a capital D means the individual is PROUD to be Deaf and involved in the Deaf culture. Fluent in ASL and not afraid to be themselves even if they are Deaf.

deaf with a capital means they are deaf but not very involved in the deaf culture, these individuals tend to not use ASL.

I hope everyone has a great day/night!
If you have any questions about ASL, being a CODA or Deaf culture feel free to ask(:
My name is Jessica.
Feel free to PM me or chat with me.
I know quite a bit of ASl myself to hold a convo.
I was taught by an old friend who came from New York, she said there were quite a bit of deaf where she came from in New York.
So throughout the year she taught me some. I wished that at my highschool they had ASL as class like some others, but they didn't ;/
Either way, I love meeting people like that or just anyone who knows ASL and being able to put it to practice.
Just like any other language i've learned I find then intriguing and I love them all, just opens doors for me to meet new people and get to know of different personalities.
I hope to be able to learn more sign language and meet many others who know/use it as well.
Thanks for reading!~

Sexy Turtle

Star

I have no formal "opinion" of deaf people in general, but I think ASL is beautiful, and I'm glad I'm taking my beginner's class. (:

Perhaps I'll continue those studies. I've always wanted to be able to sign well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff