Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you could, how many babies would you have at once?

Just the one! 0.34771573604061 34.8% [ 137 ]
Twins! 0.37055837563452 37.1% [ 146 ]
Triplets! 0.035532994923858 3.6% [ 14 ]
Quadruplets! 0.0025380710659898 0.3% [ 1 ]
5+ 0.015228426395939 1.5% [ 6 ]
Gold please. 0.22842639593909 22.8% [ 90 ]
Total Votes:[ 394 ]

Kitakiy
I'm so lost right now.... I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm losing my mind.
She's driving me crazy... she gets to this point where she eats and then she keeps acting like she's hungry so I try to keep feeding her but really all I'm accomplishing is making my boobs sore as ********. And they are- they hurt SO BAD and I've already gotten a booby infection in one of them so I'm taking antibiotics for that. I'm trying to work on her latching better but I can't figure out what she's doing wrong - I know she's getting enough food though... at least, I'm pretty sure... I can get three or four ounces from both when I pump, and babies are supposed to be able to get more than that right (plus I give her more time that I do the pump). Or what Im doing wrong. And then when she continuously tries to eat she starts throwing this fit where she kicks and fusses and flails around and I try to feed her as much as I possibly can but it just doesn't work. I can calm her down with a pacifier but only for a few minutes and I've tried cuddling her but with her kicking she ends up hurting me (especially if she manages to get a kick in on my incision) and I just can't seem to get her to stay calm and it's frustrating as hell that I can't just have her calm and happy so I can play with her or whatever, no she has to be hungry or angry or sleeping all the time and I realize that's what babies are supposed to do but is she getting to that age where she's supposed to be awake for a longer period of time? And she's not supposed to be pissy the whole time, is she?
I must be the worst mother in the world. Seriously. It seems like you all are doing amazing jobs at this and you're all so happy and your babies are happy and you're doing things right and I can't figure out how it's so easy for you all...
I mean, I can't even manage to take the time to pump out a bottle most of the time - it sounds so easy to just be able to pump a few ounces a day and either freeze it or save it for some alone time, but I can't even manage to do that because either she's eating or has eaten recently or will need to eat soon, or I'm sleeping, or trying to sleep (except that it seem every time I'm actually tired she has to get upset and be awake and either fuss or want to eat randomly, and every time I've gotten to the point where I can't sleep she finally falls asleep)
And then I end up playing on the computer because it takes my mind off of everything like the baby that just can't be happy or the fact that I fail as a mom or the fact that even if I wanted to go to the lactation consultants I couldn't because we can't even afford to put gas in the car anymore, not to mention the fact that I have yet to go apply for food stamps because my day is just too full or stressful or I'm sleeping. The laundry hasn't been done in a week and I'm nearly out of clothes that I can wear (cuz I only have two bras that actually fit atm and my boobs keep leaking on them because when luna eats on one, the other one soaks through the stupid pads that I can't afford to buy anymore because I go through a box of 60 in like a week)
And I'm so tempted to just walk the frick out and leave cody with the baby because 'formula is just as good' anyway (which is something that his mom seems to be pushing for and my stupid evil doctor said was okay too)
Have I mentioned my boobs hurt like ******** HELL???? Mostly the nipples. And now she needs to eat again. I'm a horrible mother, because I really don't want to... But I suppose I'll disract myself with tv or something

Oh ouch.
Have you thought supplementing with formula milk? I know a lot of people don't really like formula milk, but you need time to heal.

Is your little one putting on weight?

My sister had a similar problem and it turned out her breast milk wasn't giving my nephew enough nutrients.

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
FarmFreshEggs

I was totally feeling kind of bummed because a lot of my shirts are (finally?) getting to that "too tight to work anymore" point, but I put on a newish dress and get ready to run errands. My son looks up at me and goes "Wow mom, you look beautiful." Awwww. heart My hair's a mess, and I know a 6 year old isn't the best judge, but it warmed my heart.

I think children are the best and most honest when it comes to judgement...which isn't ALWAYS a good thing.

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
E r r o r r e v o L

Oh ouch.
Have you thought supplementing with formula milk? I know a lot of people don't really like formula milk, but you need time to heal.

Is your little one putting on weight?

My sister had a similar problem and it turned out her breast milk wasn't giving my nephew enough nutrients.

90% sure she is - she was up to above her birth weight at her two week appointment...

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kitakiy

You are NOT a bad mother. You love your daughter and you're trying to do what's best for her. It can be hard, especially when you don't know what to do, but babies don't come with manuals, and each one is different. Some mothers on here have been there before {not saying they don't have bad days, but with everyone in my family it seems to have been easier as they went} and sometimes things just click.

Just because there needs to be more work involved doesn't make it any less meaningful or as rewarding in the end.

Wealthy Lunatic

4,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Kitakiy

Don't feel like a horrible mother. It's hard for me to say because I felt the same way. I would be in terrible pain nursing Travis.. and I would have to keep re latching him because of it. I would just give up and let him nurse how he pleased. Crying the entire time because I thought I was a terrible defect because I couldn't nurse perfect.
He STILL DOESN'T. His latch is far from looking like a perfect latch. But he is a happy chunky boy and gets plenty of food. We found what works for us, and he eats enough. But You can bet your a** I was in some massive pain for a good while..

Every baby is different.. I lucked out and they take after their dad's gentle nature.. but I was an awful baby. Drove my mom crazy all the time. But IT DOES pass. I know it doesn't help to hear.. but it will. You will eventually be able to even everything out .. it just takes time sad

You are not a bad mom. Even if you decide to use formula, who the frick cares? Your baby will be just as healthy and happy. Ashton was formula fed and he is the biggest healthiest kid I know! If BF is this bad of an experience for you, then don't feel bad about switching. Formula exists for a reason smile . Only keep in mind the cost.. it is covered on WIC though..
Kitakiy
She's driving me crazy... she gets to this point where she eats and then she keeps acting like she's hungry so I try to keep feeding her but really all I'm accomplishing is making my boobs sore as ********. And they are- they hurt SO BAD and I've already gotten a booby infection in one of them so I'm taking antibiotics for that. I'm trying to work on her latching better but I can't figure out what she's doing wrong - I know she's getting enough food though... at least, I'm pretty sure... I can get three or four ounces from both when I pump, and babies are supposed to be able to get more than that right (plus I give her more time that I do the pump). Or what Im doing wrong. And then when she continuously tries to eat she starts throwing this fit where she kicks and fusses and flails around and I try to feed her as much as I possibly can but it just doesn't work. I can calm her down with a pacifier but only for a few minutes and I've tried cuddling her but with her kicking she ends up hurting me (especially if she manages to get a kick in on my incision) and I just can't seem to get her to stay calm and it's frustrating as hell that I can't just have her calm and happy so I can play with her or whatever, no she has to be hungry or angry or sleeping all the time and I realize that's what babies are supposed to do but is she getting to that age where she's supposed to be awake for a longer period of time? And she's not supposed to be pissy the whole time, is she?
I must be the worst mother in the world. Seriously. It seems like you all are doing amazing jobs at this and you're all so happy and your babies are happy and you're doing things right and I can't figure out how it's so easy for you all...
I mean, I can't even manage to take the time to pump out a bottle most of the time - it sounds so easy to just be able to pump a few ounces a day and either freeze it or save it for some alone time, but I can't even manage to do that because either she's eating or has eaten recently or will need to eat soon, or I'm sleeping, or trying to sleep (except that it seem every time I'm actually tired she has to get upset and be awake and either fuss or want to eat randomly, and every time I've gotten to the point where I can't sleep she finally falls asleep)
And then I end up playing on the computer because it takes my mind off of everything like the baby that just can't be happy or the fact that I fail as a mom or the fact that even if I wanted to go to the lactation consultants I couldn't because we can't even afford to put gas in the car anymore, not to mention the fact that I have yet to go apply for food stamps because my day is just too full or stressful or I'm sleeping. The laundry hasn't been done in a week and I'm nearly out of clothes that I can wear (cuz I only have two bras that actually fit atm and my boobs keep leaking on them because when luna eats on one, the other one soaks through the stupid pads that I can't afford to buy anymore because I go through a box of 60 in like a week)
And I'm so tempted to just walk the frick out and leave cody with the baby because 'formula is just as good' anyway (which is something that his mom seems to be pushing for and my stupid evil doctor said was okay too)
Have I mentioned my boobs hurt like ******** HELL???? Mostly the nipples. And now she needs to eat again. I'm a horrible mother, because I really don't want to... But I suppose I'll disract myself with tv or something

You are NOT a bad mother. I've always thought that trying so hard where we get to the point of upsetting ourselves proves that we are good parents.

Have you seen or thought about seeing a lactation consultant? It sounds like there IS a latching issue, or something similar. You might be able to get help on the La Leche League sight (google it). Soreness is normal for the first few weeks, but it should solve itself once your body is used to it - and I'm talking soreness here, not full on pain...that's something else altogether.

When it comes to pumping....what type of pump do you have? I recommend something with a piece that will help express milk from all ducts...not just pull it out. I had an Avent pump - all of theirs come with a rubber piece you can choose to use or take off, it works like a baby's mouth and sort of massages every part of your breast rather than just pulling milk out of you. Something like that might work better, if you're using something else. They're like $60 at my work - probably one of the most affordable pumps on the market.

All that said, if you feel the need to stop breast feeding and begin formula, you gave breast feeding a respectable try and you should feel like a good mother for doing so.

Stay strong and positive...I'm sure we've all felt like horrid mothers in the past, but we aren't and neither are you!

Adorable Fatcat

Kitakiy

First off, you are not a horrible mother. What you are is a healing, tired, distracted, stressed new mother. It doesn't make you a failure. People like to make breast feeding seem easy, but, for most of us, it really isn't. It's ******** hard as ********!

If you cannot go to see the lactation consultant, see if you can at least call one. I know that my hospital gave me the number to the consultant and to the labor and delivery floor in case I had questions and/or was just stressed and needed to talk.

Part of the problem may be that she isn't necessarily hungry. She may be tired or have a bellyache and it will produce the same symptoms as if she were hungry. How many wet/dirty diapers is she having a day? If she is having the appropriate amount of wet and dirties, then she's getting enough to eat. She may not need to be on your boob all the time, but it's hard to differentiate between hungry and fussy at first.

The other thing you may need to take into consideration is that babies all have different temperaments. You may have what is labeled a "difficult" baby. My first baby, Zoe, was a holy living terror. I swore up and down she was spawned from the depths of hell to torture me here on earth. She did nothing but cry and puke. You notice I didn't add sleep in that list. Because she never did sleep! >.< Yes, I felt like a failure. But I wasn't. And I do hereby duly swear......it DOES GET BETTER.

Do not be afraid to let her cry sometimes. I know there are people that say a baby is never supposed to cry, but to hell with them. Sometimes you just gotta put the kid down and take a little bit of time for yourself. It's not going to traumatize or kill her. Put her down and get away for ten or fifteen minutes. Go outside and get a fresh of breath air. xd It will help, I promise. If you ever start feeling like harming yourself or the baby or that your baby would be better off dead, put down the baby. And call someone. Immediately.

And neither are you a failure. You're doing fine. I promise. If the laundry doesn't get done or the dishes don't get done, so be it. They will eventually. I'm assuming you had a c-section which means you shouldn't be doing a whole hell of a lot anyway. I wish there were someone you could call to help you out. It would make things a whole lot easier.

I promise you, we all went through this. We all felt overwhelmed and we all wondered if we were really cut out for this s**t. It's damn hard to have someone depend on you that much, it so damn hard to provide that much attention and energy to one thing, one tiny person.

I will tell you as I told another gal on here about latching. Get the baby to open its mouth up as wide as possible. Use your n****e to stroke her lower lip until she does. Then, what you have to do, with your hand on the back of her head......jam that wide little mouth as far onto your n****e as possible. You're not going to hurt her, but she is and will continue to hurt you. There's no nice way to get a newborn latched onto a breast. You're not going to hurt her, just get her jammed on there. You'll appreciate it, you really will. Newborns will tear your nipples all to hell if you try to be nice about latching them on. They've got the suction power of an industrial vacuum all wrapped up in a cute little package....

You're doing ok. It doesn't seem like it now, but it gets better. If I seem to repeat myself, it's on purpose. I know you won't believe me, so I have to keep saying it. It gets better.

It really does get better.

You're always welcome to PM me, if you like.

edit: I just thought of this. Try different positions of holding her when she is awake. I know it sounds odd, but both of my babies loved to be sat up on my knee, facing out so they could look around. This was from an extremely young age.....like 2 weeks. They both had strong necks and could turn their heads on their own with no issues. They were very alert and just wanted to see everything! Sometimes it just takes a change of view! Also, when you're able to walk more and better, babies usually like to be walked around.

And, if you're not grossed out by it, try pacifying with your pinky instead of a binky. It still smells and tastes like you, so your baby may like it more.

Wealthy Lunatic

4,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Ashton has this wicked 6 pack.. plus he is insane tan..
I'm going to have such girl trouble with him when he is older... this kid is going to be one handsome boy. gonk

He favors my brother and husband in just the right ways... ughhhhh

I just look at him and see trouble.. lol.

Also, I told him that daddy comes home in a few months, he says " Oh yeah?" and I asked him if he misses daddy, and he says " Yup"

crying
SlightlyBurntCupcake
Ashton has this wicked 6 pack.. plus he is insane tan..
I'm going to have such girl trouble with him when he is older... this kid is going to be one handsome boy. gonk

He favors my brother and husband in just the right ways... ughhhhh

I just look at him and see trouble.. lol.

Also, I told him that daddy comes home in a few months, he says " Oh yeah?" and I asked him if he misses daddy, and he says " Yup"

crying

Haha Aden's gonna be a womanizer too, probably. He looks a lot like his dad and his dad knows how to pick up chicks. Haha

Shameless Consumer

Kitakiy

Have you thought about just trying formula for half a day, just to see if anything changes? Formula isn't a bad thing, Luna won't be stupid, she won't get sick, you won't get fat. To be frank, miserable moms make for miserable babies. Breastfeeding is primarily for bonding, and if it's just making you unhappy, that's a very valid reason to think about switching to formula.

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Mightelove

I will tell you as I told another gal on here about latching. Get the baby to open its mouth up as wide as possible. Use your n****e to stroke her lower lip until she does. Then, what you have to do, with your hand on the back of her head......jam that wide little mouth as far onto your n****e as possible. You're not going to hurt her, but she is and will continue to hurt you. There's no nice way to get a newborn latched onto a breast. You're not going to hurt her, just get her jammed on there. You'll appreciate it, you really will. Newborns will tear your nipples all to hell if you try to be nice about latching them on. They've got the suction power of an industrial vacuum all wrapped up in a cute little package....

The biggest problem I'm having with latching is her endless wiggling and flailing. She puts her hands in front of her face and wontwontwont! move them and she chews on her fingers and if I try to move her hand to put my n****e in there she's got the other one there. I have to hold her and latch her with one hand half the time because my other hand is occupied with trapping her hands, which leads to a bad latch and lots of pain for me. That or she's rooting so hard that her head is turned away from my n****e as soon as I get her arms under control. Sometimes I can get her at a calm point, but as soon as she realizes she's supposed to latch, she seems to get way too excited, and I worry that it's something that I caused early on with my problems getting her to latch and eat...
I do finally get her latched most times but this seems to be a huge problem...

EDIT: Well, not my biggest problem - PAIN is my biggest problem, but this is my other big problem /

ATM I a holding her because she got really pissed off when I put her in her bouncer (which is where she sleeps most times because she still doesn't like her crib much) and she keeps waking up every few minutes anyway to either wiggle or yell at me (her yell IS kinda cute - she furrows her brow and stares and me and goes "AH!" wink
I have recently learned, and I'm not sure if this is bad or not but it doesn't seem to upset her, that I can get her to stop crying for a second by blowing on her face quick - if she's about to cry, I blow on her face (just a quick puff) and she gets this really suprised look and stops for a second - and it distracts her just enough for me to try and make her happy another way, like rocking her or whatever. Just now she was about to cry (because of lack of attention which I am very much so giving her...?) and I did that and she was so surprised that she forgot that she was going to cry, and then I rocked her and she fell asleep - no crying! >.> This probably won't work for long though.
She finally quieted down, so now I can eat. Hooray!

I talked to cody after I posted that and I felt a little better. Thanks everyone, also...

Shameless Consumer

i
Kitakiy
Mightelove

The biggest problem I'm having with latching is her endless wiggling and flailing. She puts her hands in front of her face and wontwontwont! move them and she chews on her fingers and if I try to move her hand to put my n****e in there she's got the other one there. I have to hold her and latch her with one hand half the time because my other hand is occupied with trapping her hands, which leads to a bad latch and lots of pain for me. That or she's rooting so hard that her head is turned away from my n****e as soon as I get her arms under control. Sometimes I can get her at a calm point, but as soon as she realizes she's supposed to latch, she seems to get way too excited, and I worry that it's something that I caused early on with my problems getting her to latch and eat...
I do finally get her latched most times but this seems to be a huge problem...

EDIT: Well, not my biggest problem - PAIN is my biggest problem, but this is my other big problem /

ATM I a holding her because she got really pissed off when I put her in her bouncer (which is where she sleeps most times because she still doesn't like her crib much) and she keeps waking up every few minutes anyway to either wiggle or yell at me (her yell IS kinda cute - she furrows her brow and stares and me and goes "AH!" wink
I have recently learned, and I'm not sure if this is bad or not but it doesn't seem to upset her, that I can get her to stop crying for a second by blowing on her face quick - if she's about to cry, I blow on her face (just a quick puff) and she gets this really suprised look and stops for a second - and it distracts her just enough for me to try and make her happy another way, like rocking her or whatever. Just now she was about to cry (because of lack of attention which I am very much so giving her...?) and I did that and she was so surprised that she forgot that she was going to cry, and then I rocked her and she fell asleep - no crying! >.> This probably won't work for long though.
She finally quieted down, so now I can eat. Hooray!

I talked to cody after I posted that and I felt a little better. Thanks everyone, also...

Have you tried feeding her while she's swaddled?

Another suggestion, have you tried taking her on a walk when she's fussy? She could just be bored.

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I guess I would just feel like a total and complete failure if I quit breastfeeding... I've been so set on being able to do it and breastfeeding for at least six months, and the best part is that I CAN! I know women who never produced enough for their babies or never started producing at all or had some other issue where they just couldn't do it but I CAN - so I should, right?

Plus I know formula takes longer and can be harder to digest, and Luna is already getting tummyaches...
I have started giving her a bit of vitiman D supplement, hoping it would help because I don't know if she's getting the right nutrients from my milk... and the package said it was good for breastfed babies... but it's a sample and I don't know if I can afford to get more for her... does anyone know if WIC provides that stuff?
My WIC office still hasn't called me back... I'm going to call them again on Monday... a lot of stupid people won't call back... like my endocrinologist... they won't call me or call my prescription in and Ive been out of pills for a week! I've been taking 1 1/2 of my lower dose... even my pharmacy called them too and they haven't called anyone back...

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Shima Shinji
Have you tried feeding her while she's swaddled?

Another suggestion, have you tried taking her on a walk when she's fussy? She could just be bored.

Yea, she still gets cranky and flaily whether she's swaddled or not, except when she's swaddled the blanket tends to get in the way.
GAH!!! Just thinking about feeding her is making my boobs hurt and leak...
She probably does get bored a lot, it just seems like whenever she's awake she wants to eat, and then she falls asleep on my breast, and then wakes up and seems to get cranky and wants to eat again... I dunno I guess I'll try walking her around if she gets crabby after a feeding... I was playing with her toys the other day and she seemed to be a bit interested in that for a few minutes but then she started getting crabby again.

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I guess I haven't been playing with her nearly as much as I should be or could be... crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff