Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

Updates:
5/19/15
GO TRY IT OUT! heart
WHOOPS! Avatar Builder went offline for the moment. 5/19/15 @ 5:18pm est
-AHEM FOR THE ENTIRE DAY?!-

5/20/15
yum_puddi - I made a banner for this discussion thread. PUMPIN' IT OUT LIKE A BUS.
yum_puddi - Avi Builder is online again for most users.
yum_puddi -Avi Builder is disabled!

bluealaris

Will all Staff Notifications moving forward be about what state the Avatar Builder is in? Will life forever be an unknowing void of uncertainty? Will Bluealaris always ask questions in third person? Answers are pointing to yes!

Currently due to the high octane use that our beta is seeing we have disabled the Avatar Builder for the time being in order to keep Gaia Online running at optimum. We are working on streamlining the beta's high amounts of traffic with our database server. Stay tuned for more news!

5/21/15
yum_wasabipie - Online for most again.
yum_wasabipie - Offline for the weekend. Go Check Out RandomKate's Memorial Day Hub.
Narumi Misuhara
Avibuilder down for weekend

Hey guys, thanks to everyone who participated in trying out the Avatar Builder! The builder will be offline while we tweak the backend, iron out some clothes, and get rid of all the moths. Never fear though, the builder will be back online early next week!!!!

5/26/15

yum_donut - ONLINE AGAIN!

5/29/15 -5/31/15

yum_burger - UPDATE!
Narumi Misuhara

Staff Update

Hello guys!

Lots of exciting things have happened since our last update!...

8 New Achievements were released.
Site inventory search bug corrected so it returns items that contain all the words entered instead of any one of the words entered. (ie. Corrected a malformed AND search resulting in the system defaulting to an OR search.)
Addition to Avatar Builder to display frames with animated items!

-- Things Still to come! --

Chat system! Has been available to SCAS for testing.
Pet system! Demo released internally to staff, it's looking awesome! We are still game balancing and getting in finalized assets, then we'll begin SCAS testing!

In addition there is our Throwback Spring Party! --Still in progress!!! Wowsa! ...Welp, back to work. So much to do, so little time!

yum_burger - OFFLINE for most of us. If you are still having issues please report them accordingly in the threads below.

----&6/1/15
yum_cupcake - Online For Most!

yum_bacon - Offline atm, probably because the CI is about to come out and all the items would be viewable through the Avi Builder before the CI's release.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you believe it? Gaia finally has an avatar builder now! We knew it was in the works, but it's finally here!

While it still needs some work I say it's definitely better than I had imagined.

User Image

I made that a few minutes ago to test out the features, which was decent. But one of the problems with it is the marketplace value calculator. I added it up myself and the amount was far more added up rather than shown on the screen. I think it's not counting the toxic dragon item for the amount of poses I'm using. I'm using three dragons when it only counts for one.
But I dunno, maybe it's just calculating the worth of each individual item instead of the number of items there would actually be..?
[Example: I'm wearing three dragon items, two toxic alleycat's, two metal's last hopes, one lavende hair and one shiny jolteon.
Marketplace Calculator says: 1 dragon, 1 alley cat, 1 metal, 1 lavende, and 1 jolteon equals to '_____']

I edited the wording a bit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPORT BUGS HERE: X
FEEDBACK HERE: X
F.A.Q. HERE: X
Huge thanks to ariichu for these links!

yum_strawberry So what do you think? yum_strawberry
yum_strawberry Have you tried it out yet? yum_strawberry
yum_strawberry What did you come up with? yum_strawberry

Share your avis ppl!

Ghosting:

Admin
Want to dress a friend's avatar using their inventory? Click "Ghost?" and enter in their user ID. As long as they have the "Allow ghosting" setting check, you can work with their avatar and inventory! Be sure to select "Inventory" in the "Search items" drop down (not Inventory(DB))

How to Ghost! WakaWakaWaka.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Who ya gonna call? Sheshira!

Sheshira Ghost Busted the Hell outta the avi maker! | Click pictures to see full size

About to ghost (enter userid and 0 to reset)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ghosting completed:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Sheshira
My mules can use it but I can't. But I do agree with the sentiment that there should be a means of searching by broad general colors i.e. purple encompassing all shades of purple, blues, reds, greens, golds, browns etc since it's based on the tagging system and the tags are not the most reliable form of searching for items...

I do like that they have a separate tab for gold shops. Though it might be nice to include collectible items, and monthly collectibles.

Ambiverted
Don't get me wrong, it is an extremely good first start. However, it still stands that multi-pose items you need to remember what is in them, the poses aren't viewable individually.

Also it is using the tagging system (ie the same system as the inventory search in the dress up page). So for example, when I search "teal", it only brings up items that are tagged with it, which is the same problem as always.

I feel it's a very good start, but I hope they don't leave it at this. The ghosting feature and simultaneous view of all avi positions are the things which add value in this release. At least someone else can make avis for you using your inventory again. I'd say other than that, I could do the exact same thing with the regular inventory search function.

L o l i K i n z
Lulu Used Speak!

♥I'm really excited about how great a start this is for gaia making their own tektek. Now what we really need now is for them to put in the non-base hair, hair option because i'm a little peeved that eyes got in but not the hair. I don't like having to search off the top of my head for a hair i want in my dream avi.

What we need next from gaia is how tektek had items separated by colors, so if you wanted a fully blue avatar you could have only blue items shown to you. Other than that, it's nice to be actually able to fuss around with avatar items without having to mass search in dress up. ♥

It was very effective!

Chibi Halo
          The one thing they need to allow is for a blank inventory search in order to bring up our entire equip tab inventory. Either that or make it so when you do have things set to an inventory search it brings up your own inventory automatically.

And it looks like they took it down again. They need to make up their minds as to whether or not this feature is ready to be used or not. xp

Antiq
Nope.
What I want, what I really really want, is to be able to select All Stores - Coat - Brown and be presented with every brown coat that exists on Gaia. Not, as I have found, be presented with a variety of coats of many colours, and some items that aren't even coats at all. Brown dungarees are not coats.
Also, what is "garment"? That could be any clothing item confused
So far my experience of this avatar builder is that it is dysfunctional and frustrating. By Gaia using it's own very poor tagging system, I seem to left with the very same problems I have always had. Also - lag. How does Gaia manage to make everything lag so much gonk

Ok, maybe I've missed something or I'm doing it wrong. I'd be happy to be enlightened, but I'm not optimistic. I do like the variety of views, that's nice, and the view MP value.

VKiera
"Though the brightness of the sun has drifted far away...

I haven't been allowed in yet to check it out, but so far it's a decent start. But as I see it so far.

Pros:
Always up to date/no waiting on new items to be added in
Correct layering of items

Cons:
You still pretty much need to know the name of the item you're looking for.
Items aren't broken down by poses individually.
Gaia's tagging system.

the whole lynch pin for this being as good or even better than tektek is really Gaia's tagging system, I'm aware they're working on it, but until one can search for 'red' and 'dress' and pull up every red dress on Gaia we're pretty much at square one still.

Personally I'd find it helpful just to pull up every pose that is 'red' and is considered in the 'tops' category ect, ect that would be a start.

I'll reserve full judgement until I actually get to use the system.

Once they have this up and working properly you think they can go back to fixing the inventory arranger?

Tomorrow holds the sunlight of a brand new day for me..."

aj OwO
Mills XI
aj OwO
i don't see grombie skins in there ninja
But there is flarn skin I see so you know there is that.

the flarn skin is kind of cool, but what about the grunny infected? i want a grunny nomming onto my head xd

Loner Yanagi
It's fun to play with but I'd like a color drop down menu so that we can find the more obscure colors easier. I also noticed that even if I search for blue items I'll still get items that are of a different color. I was trying to find some new eyes and ran into this quite a bit.

Kind of figures that all the eyes I want are expensive...

Marshmlow1
Love it, just like having TekTek back. I can search poses in the IDB heart But the inventory section is what needs to be improved on, there is no pose searching, and you can't find a damned thing unless you type in the name, not everyone remembers every item in their inventory. So I find it to be a useless part of the AB for right now. I can't even search paw items in the inventory when I use the paw base. Searching inventory is like searching yours in the Dress Up. So I just resort to using the IDB.

aj OwO
Loner Yanagi
It's fun to play with but I'd like a color drop down menu so that we can find the more obscure colors easier. I also noticed that even if I search for blue items I'll still get items that are of a different color. I was trying to find some new eyes and ran into this quite a bit.

Kind of figures that all the eyes I want are expensive...

yes i want items sorted by color too 3nodding

Wrenry
Wish the avatars were a little larger to see some more detail on items but can always switch over to customize avatar and see what things look like when putting an outfit together.

But beside that they've done a good job in bringing the Builder to the site.

Chibi Halo
          To anyone saying it's not like TekTek here's the thing. It can't be like TekTek because they don't own the code used for TekTek. They had to build the system from the ground up and it's honestly bad juju to flat out copy existing code for your own use. So yes it's not going to be just like TekTek. People are just going to have to learn to use this system and get used to how it works.

BIacksmith
While it needs some tweaking, it's pretty awesome for a beta version!

I love that it gives us all the back, front, side, sitting,...previews in one picture! And unlike TekTek, this one is actually always up to date (I assume) since it's easier for them to take all the new items directly from their own database.

This is also pretty awesome too:
Quote:
Want to dress a friend's avatar using their inventory? Click "Ghost?" and enter in their user ID. As long as they have the "Allow ghosting" setting check, you can work with their avatar and inventory! Be sure to select "Inventory" in the "Search items" drop down (not Inventory(DB))

Sheshira
My mules can use it but I can't. But I do agree with the sentiment that there should be a means of searching by broad general colors i.e. purple encompassing all shades of purple, blues, reds, greens, golds, browns etc since it's based on the tagging system and the tags are not the most reliable form of searching for items...

I do like that they have a separate tab for gold shops. Though it might be nice to include collectible items, and monthly collectibles.

Adnama Lavode
It is actually better than I thought it would be, however it still needs to sort by color. Simply using the search to define the color doesn't work well because it nullifies the other drop menus, because I searched "blue" and it gives me every blue item I have regardless of whether I just wanted blue hair or not (though hair isn't even in the list but beards are?). This seems to be intentional for only the Inventory setting and doesn't happen with the Item DB setting, and it sucks. I should be able to search my inventory the same way I'm able to search all items.

Secondary reason why there needs to be a color sorting system is because searching for colors is extra busted. I searched for "blue" again in Item DB setting, chose "skirts" and the first skirt to pop up was pink. And the fact that there were only 3 skirts to pop up at all. So yeah.

I also feel like the item type list should be in some kind of order, likely alphabetical, because it's actually a fairly long list and it takes a bit of double checking to find the category you're looking for.

The search by store is neat, and the background color changer is nice too. I like the idea behind the avatar bases, but I'm just not sold on the execution. I don't know if it's a thing that needs to be present all the time. Ghosting is another neat feature that I wasn't really expecting, but really like. The only thing I think could improve that is to add some flexibility to who you allow to ghost your avatar. Right now it seems to be all or nothing. Being able to enable this for individuals, friends, and globally would be ideal.

There's a load time issue as well. The "waiting" symbol that pops up is actually kind of obnoxious with this. It would feel like less of an interruption in the flow of things if it were gone. The interface needs some serious attention too, but I imagine that will get the treatment when the final placement of everything is figured out.

prince lambchops
mmm i still prefer tektek? being able to just browse though all the item poses made it super easy to find exactly what i needed for an avatar. sorting by top/bottom/etc (gaias av builder could really benefit from this, wading through unsorted item poses is a nightmare) and even by colour was really ******** useful too. unless its bugging out for me, im surprised you cant even load up your own inventory to work with. have each item pose from all the items you own just laid out for you would be reeeaaally super duper great for avatar building

one of the biggest problems with the search function i find, is items arent tagged 100% accurately either, some words leave out items that should be included so you're not being given everything you should when you search

so far all i really enjoy is being able to see every pose of ur av while ur still dressing, but i never change my avs pose really so its not exactly the most useful function for me

im assuming its still in beta, so there's hope the devs working on this will actually listen to feedback and add things that gaians are asking for, but who knows

Miss Janie Doe
I tried it once before they took it down. I think that part of my experience was colored by the fact that I have to become accustomed to it.

The good

You can find both individual poses and the main item with all poses

We now have all of the items included *At least that is the assumption*

The bad

The item search could used refining (More key words, more color options, ect). I often don't know the name of the item I want so having a more defined search engine would help a lot.

Suggestions

It would be cool if we had an option like on tektek where you could equip an item and turn it off so that it was saved for use later in the item list.

Aaron Kain
W0LFEH

The avatar builder's up again~
    Pros
    endless items!
    Little technical problems!

Cons
    Stronger tagging system needed
    Slow loading

If you want, I DID make something in there. Saved it in my outfits for faaar too long >u<
User Image

Knight of Britannia
Antiq
Why can I not search for a red skirt, for instance, and see all the red skirts? Why is that not a simple thing to be able to do, is it because of the tagging system?

I think so, yeah. I just did a search, and just like the marketplace, it seems like it brings up everything with red and/or skirt in the item's tags. sweatdrop I'm used to that much now, but it would be nice if the filters were more strict, I think? Like if it doesn't have red in it, don't pull it up, and vice versa. But then even now I still come across far too many items that don't have any defining tags in them besides the name of the item. Those are the ones that always fall through the cracks. I keep hearing there's going to be an overhaul on the tagging system, I sure hope it's sooner rather than later, though it will surely be quite the task...

Mama_Avatar_Talk_Stalker | My first finished avatar out of this new builder using items I mostly do not own. SOOOO unusual for me

User Image
ALSO! I have my ghosting on. Go have fun with my inventory if you like.

Aaron Kain's!!
User Image

If you have any feedback or avis made with the builder, quote either W0LFEH or ariichu so that we may feature it here.

W0LFEH
[quote="W0LFEH"][/quote]

ariichu
[quote="ariichu"][/quote]

Cottontail

gaia_kittenstar GO TO THE AVI BUILDER_ gaia_kittenstar

KNOWN GLITCHES:
UPDATED 6/10
admin
Upon clicking "View opposite gender" your changes will reset.
Occasionally not all the frames will show up when making changes. In this situation, you'll want to just refresh and retry what you were attempting.

- Inventory still not searchable by store or type
- Item tags still being updated; see this post if you haven't yet
- Items with many, many poses will stretch past the screen
when the main pose icon is clicked; no way to fix w/o
refreshing (Masquerade, Modus Operandi, Gogh Reed etc)
- Once again, please report any other bugs / glitches you
find in the Avi Builder to this thread

UPDATED 5/27
- Inventory still not searchable by store or type
- Item tags still being updated; see this post if you haven't yet
- Only one pose may be worn from each item, no matter how many you have in your invo

UPDATED 5/20
6PM EST / 3PM PDT

- Looks like the feature is still being rolled out slowly to the userbase;
not everyone has access yet, seems totally random

- Inventory shows up now, but is still having issues with searching

Updated 5/19
7PM EST / 4PM PDT

admin
Upon clicking "View opposite gender" your changes will reset.
Occasionally not all the frames will show up when making changes. In this situation, you'll want to just refresh and retry what you were attempting.

- Not all Gaians have access yet, not sure why;
might only be **temporarily** available to those who were
online when it launched??
- "Ghost" option still not working perfectly
- TAGGING SYSTEM; still being worked on
- View Your Own Invo; doesn't show up fully,
search items by name for now
- MARKET VALUE; looks like it's bugging because some
ABP's are still having issues
- MISSING SKINS; Dark Vampire 2k13 + others, these will
most likely be added soon??
- Items with many, many poses will stretch past the screen
when the main pose icon is clicked; no way to fix w/o
refreshing (Masquerade, Modus Operandi, Gogh Reed etc)

OVERALL PREVIEWS:
User Image
Go to the last page to see items that were JUST RELEASED TODAY~
User Image
See all poses broken down when item is searched;
tagging still buggy of course

PREVIEW BOTH MALE & FEMALE SIMULTANEOUSLY:
User Image
User Image
JUST LOOKIT THAT JUICY LIL MANBUTT

PREVIEW DIFFERENT SKINS
User Image
User Image
User Image

EQUIPPED MARKET DATA:
User Image

ty ty v much to W0LFEH for letting me assist w/ the thread~!! emotion_kirakira emotion_bigheart
I'll definitely be coming up with more avis in the meantime~
ariichu
I was *just* about to post a thread about this, glad I checked first ahaha
I'm sure it's gonna be super buggy the first day, but I have high hopes for it and am already v impressed emotion_bigheart

The "Ghost," feature is the one I'm most concerned about. But we'll see how this plays out~

Here's some helpful links from the staff alert if you wanna add to OP, btw:

REPORT BUGS HERE: [url="http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/the-dressing-room/avatar-builder-bug-reporting-thread/t.96921485/"]X[/url]
FEEDBACK HERE: [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/the-dressing-room/avatar-builder-feedback-thread/t.96921477/]X[/url]
F.A.Q. HERE: [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/the-dressing-room/avatar-builder-f-a-q/t.96921473/]X[/url]

omgosh thank you!
I don't normally make threads like this but I didn't know if anyone was going to make one. ;w;

Yea I actually don't understand the ghosting? But then again it might not be working for me.

Lady Pants

Looks like it'll be really awesome...I'm gonna give it a few days though, since it's really having trouble loading for me. (I'm guessing lag)
Phanna
Looks like it'll be really awesome...I'm gonna give it a few days though, since it's really having trouble loading for me. (I'm guessing lag)

Aw man lag is the worst. I'm super surprised it wasn't lagging for me, but now that there are two notices/announcements for it I imagine everyone and their grandma will be on that same page.

Cottontail

W0LFEH
ariichu
I'm sure it's gonna be super buggy the first day, but I have high hopes for it and am already v impressed emotion_bigheart

The "Ghost," feature is the one I'm most concerned about. But we'll see how this plays out~

REPORT BUGS HERE: [url="http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/the-dressing-room/avatar-builder-bug-reporting-thread/t.96921485/"]X[/url]
FEEDBACK HERE: [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/the-dressing-room/avatar-builder-feedback-thread/t.96921477/]X[/url]
F.A.Q. HERE: [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/the-dressing-room/avatar-builder-f-a-q/t.96921473/]X[/url]

omgosh thank you!
I don't normally make threads like this but I didn't know if anyone was going to make one. ;w;

Yea I actually don't understand the ghosting? But then again it might not be working for me.

NP~! emotion_yatta Haha that's actually where my hesitation came from, too!

I guess "Ghost"-ing is the ability to copy another user's avi? It would be nice if they could code it
so you couldn't be "ghost"-ed if you have your equipped item list turned off.
But yeah, I'm gonna reserve judgement for a bit.
Do you really have to search for items one-by-one or is my invo just not loading? cat_rofl

EDIT: Oh yaaay looks like there's already the ability to disable "Ghosts"~ ! emotion_awesome

Greedy Drake

ariichu
W0LFEH
ariichu

omgosh thank you!

I guess "Ghost"-ing is the ability to copy another user's avi? It would be nice if they could code it
Do you really have to search for items one-by-one or is my invo just not loading? cat_rofl

I think you have to enable ghosting as an option so random people cant ghost you if you have it turned off. I dont know for sure though because either it stopped working for me (i get an error when I go there now) or they took it down again. It was taking a beastly long time to load even when I didnt go out of my inventory anyway.

It will be cool when it works right.
ariichu
W0LFEH
ariichu

omgosh thank you!

Awe, well we'll share this thread together! owo
Okay that's what I thought it was, but it never loaded up the other persons avi for me. But it's the first day so I'm just happy that it's finally here. <333
I think you have to search one by one, but if you're vague with your search more things will pop up.

Watervoir's Husbando

Carnivore

I love it. My favourite feature is definitely the multiple frames that show your avatar from every angle. It's really useful!

Also like that I can see how my avatar would look as a dude. It means I don't have to use the potion, eliminating the need for me to rebuy my skin/hair/eyes. emotion_kirakira

Bashful Faun

15,190 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
Ghost seem to be so the dressing room can go on? As in people can do and avy with your inventory?
If so I am very glad they did it

Dead Hellraiser

I like it! It's got it's bugs, but it's still super-useful!

Ghosting's useful for those who want someone to make them an avatar using their inventory. (Good for the old tektek the avi above you threads in the WG )

Lady Pants

W0LFEH
Phanna

Aw man lag is the worst. I'm super surprised it wasn't lagging for me, but now that there are two notices/announcements for it I imagine everyone and their grandma will be on that same page.

Yeah, also doesn't help that this computer is already nearly 6 years old and doesn't play well with Flash.
I'm in no rush to play with the new builder yet.

Greedy Drake

W0LFEH
ariichu
W0LFEH
ariichu

omgosh thank you!

Awe, well we'll share this thread together! owo
Okay that's what I thought it was, but it never loaded up the other persons avi for me. But it's the first day so I'm just happy that it's finally here. <333
I think you have to search one by one, but if you're vague with your search more things will pop up.

Think the person you are trying to ghost has to have the option clicked to allow it my id is 18832684 if you want to try. Supposedly you have to put 0 to go back to your own stuff btw.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff