Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Quote:
Being any part asian has got to suck these days, haha~ All those Japanophile weeaboos.

Hahah, I have NO asian in me, and I still have weeaboos drooling all over me.

I work in a store that sells primarily anime and manga. Not a week goes by where I'll ask a co-worker who is talking to some customers something an THIS conversation happens:
--------------------------------------
Me: Hey co-worker, have you seen this item that I am looking for? The system says we have it, but I can't find it. I work on the website, so I am unfamiliar with the changes made to the back room while I was down town.

Co-worker: Sorry Ran, I have no idea where that is because I am a useless old woman who knows nothing about our stock room.

Random 14-year-old-girl: OH. MY. GOD. Your name is RAN?!?! That is the COOLEST THING EVER!!! It's like you're JAPANESE! I am soooooo envious! I wish *I* had a cute Japanese name!!!! (followed by unintelligible squealing noises)

Me: Uh....hmmm....thaaaaaanks....It's just short for Randi. (squealing continues, I uncomfortably and slowly back away, and then I GTFO of there and back into my office where I can not talk to them ever again.

Laaaaaame. And then there are the ones who are all 'did you shorten it to sound Japanese?' Nooo, I've been having people call me that since I was little, because it keeps people, upon hearing my name, from immediately assuming I'm a boy. Even my mom calls me that, and she'd sooner eat glass than watch anime.
well my name is jae-kwan so lol imagine all the crap i get. and when they are like how do you say it in korean!? which is kim jae-kwan since i guess here in the states family name comes last it makes it worse. sweatdrop
Kaxen
I prefer Smackjeeves (for the layouts and stuff). Something about the Drunkduck inferface bugs me. I never got along with Comicgenesis.

I heard ComicFury is good, but I've never used it.

I don't mind if I don't get comments. I just want something with a good clean style and not many popups, I've had problems reading comics hosted on Drunk Duck.

I'll check out comicfury and Smackjeeves.
@ Sexuality issue
*Slams head into wall until the pain from stupid is blunted out by pain*
I've generally given up on people since I've got a family that if they knew my sexuality was anything but strict heterosexual they would probably beat me to death.
And no I'm not joking. The greatest insult I can give to my brother is whispering softly "You know how I know you're gay?" because if my Dad hears the word Gay he gets that pissed off he hates them so.

@Race Issue.
I think people just look like people but if I typecast all asians to look asian and not know what specific part of asia they're from I don't feel bad since when someone says "white person" they're not distinguishing them from Canadian/American/European (from Spain to Russia)/Australian/NewZealand etc etc... But living in Japan I know that everyone looks different, but I think everyone looks the same, I tell people apart based on their voice cus I just don't really register faces.

EDIT:
I also don't feel too bad since me and about 3 other girls in my town all get mixed up just because we're all the same height and have glasses. Even by people that know us well they still mix us up, and by mix us up, they just think the other two girls are me. I guess I'm the most popular one out of the three of us. I met one of the girls randomly. I guess I can see a similarity since we are the same body build but we look totally different.
Apparently the other girl is a b***h, I've been yelled at for s**t she's done. scream I don't even live in that town anymore and people are all "HEY! Why'd you call me names the other night" and I'm like "???Oroo...??"

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
I've gotten people saying "Of, of course that's why you draw anime so well! You're part Japanese!"

...wat.

Anime is not a genetic predisposition.
Smakejeeves takes fer-fricken EVER to send you a verification e-mail.

Comic Fury only has like 50 other comic artists on it, none of which I've seen so far are very good.

(One making fun of hello kitty, cus that's never been done before... And an XKCD ripoff one. Only two I've read. I think I'll stick to smackjeeves.)

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Kyousouka
Being any part asian has got to suck these days, haha~ All those Japanophile weeaboos. I've got a very minor Asian heritage myself from a few generations back, but when this popped up in conversation, a group of weeaboos that happened to be around decided that was enough to worship me. ...wat.
And since we're on the subject of mistaken race/nationality... I broke my nose a few years ago and it grew back rather unattractive, and since then many people, including two of my doctors have assumed I was Jewish.

Japanophiles have raised my "CHINESE IS NOT JAPANESE" peeve to whole new levels... I can totally draw anime without being Japanese and stop now before you say "Asian, same difference" (though animation is outsourced to Korea a lot. har har har)

It just gives me a a giant sense of ARGH and "No one learns history or geography!" seeing as I have relatives who are still angry over what the Japanese did in WWII to a point that my grandma said that she could forgive Nazis but not the Japanese.
Kaxen
Kyousouka
Being any part asian has got to suck these days, haha~ All those Japanophile weeaboos. I've got a very minor Asian heritage myself from a few generations back, but when this popped up in conversation, a group of weeaboos that happened to be around decided that was enough to worship me. ...wat.
And since we're on the subject of mistaken race/nationality... I broke my nose a few years ago and it grew back rather unattractive, and since then many people, including two of my doctors have assumed I was Jewish.

Japanophiles have raised my "CHINESE IS NOT JAPANESE" peeve to whole new levels... I can totally draw anime without being Japanese and stop now before you say "Asian, same difference" (though animation is outsourced to Korea a lot. har har har)

It just gives me a a giant sense of ARGH and "No one learns history or geography!" seeing as I have relatives who are still angry over what the Japanese did in WWII to a point that my grandma said that she could forgive Nazis but not the Japanese.

exactly why some of my family hate japanese. my grandparents don't even buy japanese products. the only exception was the honda vehicle when they moved to united states because the south korean cars aren't as good. but as far as everything else. nope.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
One of my coworkers still hates the Japanese because of that. But he also doesn't think the camps they put the Japanese-Americans and immigrants into was the right thing to do.

I come from Japanese indentured servants that worked their way to freedom. In Hawaii(On Oahu no less, where Pearl Harbor is), so I can't imagine what it must've been like for them during WWII. >>;
well me and my siblings are the first interracial in my family. so it was a little hard for us growing up in korea for some of our family to accept but they have now which i'm happy about. so i think i understand how that must have felt somewhat even though my friends there didnt really care what i was. i stayed on an army base for a while then moved off it. razz

i think i experienced more racism in the US lol. with the added force of weeaboos. i guess it's probably why i don't too much care for us that much. i liked hawaii though when i went

Eloquent Explorer

Can I ask... what does "weeaboo" actually mean? I've never heard it used here.
I keep being taken for German, sometimes by, uh, people that I would rather not think of me as ~*Aryan*~

Yes, let's tell a mixed-descent Russian she looks Nordic/Aryan, she'll totally take THAT well!

Quote:

One of my friends was adopted from Hong Kong and he tends to be all "oh, I don't mind people getting confused", because he's been taken for a native everywhere in Asia he went.

... he's from Hong Kong. Durr.
enchantedsleeper

people who wish they were asian, obsessed with asians and anime, they have like made up asian names most of the time like hasanaki cuz it sounds asian. it's just really someone japan obsessed.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
enchantedsleeper
"Weeaboo" is the polite term these days for "Japanophile" or "Wapanese." I don't know where it originated from, but that's what I learned over the years.

I never get Weeaboo'd with, really. I may be 75% Chinese, but my 25% Filipina/Spanish side tends to show more, so I look like some kind of weird Hindu Indian-hybrid with maybe a tinge of Chinese. In college, some people did get a little excited because I was Asian, but were severely disappointed when I told them I didn't know any Mandarin/Cantonese/Tagalog. Harharhar.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
enchantedsleeper
Urban Dictionary saves the day.

Kupocake: ....I've never seen weeaboo used in a polite manner. o.o;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas