Welcome to Gaia! ::

Thanks, Mink. smile

I refuse to click that link... I'm only staying up at this point because I need to do another rotation on my dehydrator trays before bed. If I click on a link to TVTropes, I'll be up all night.
You're welcome: :3 And that site is sooo addicting for some reason. I also see tropes in everything I watch/read now. Yet, it doesn't lesson the enjoyment of the media.

Seijaku: That looks pretty cool so far. I'm going to have to read that.

Kaxen: That picture made me lol. And I wonder, must you be Jewish to create a golem? For some reason I've always felt creatures of a religion would only affect those of said religion. Kind of like hypnotism, which you have to believe in for it to work on you.

Also. I'm pretty sure I'm about to go doodle a comic of Wizard Jesus without ever saying it's meant to be Jesus. It will most likely feature my theory that if someone was REALLY a witch, they'd be able to get themselves off of a burning pole. Yep, gonna have to draw that.
It's that whole "Tropes are Not a Bad Thing" trope. smile Done right, it will work, and done wrong, it won't, and no amount of tropiness (is that even a word? Eh, don't care, it is now), subversion, or attempt to be "zomgsooriginul" will save it.

The site is far, far too addicting, though. I've spent several-day stretches on it in the past, where I leave the tabs open to return to the next day... TVTropes is evil. Entertaining evil. Dammit, I so want to go look right now. Instead, I'm going to rotate my trays and go to bed. *forces self to close Firefox*

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
FurryMink
Kaxen: That picture made me lol. And I wonder, must you be Jewish to create a golem? For some reason I've always felt creatures of a religion would only affect those of said religion. Kind of like hypnotism, which you have to believe in for it to work on you.

Also. I'm pretty sure I'm about to go doodle a comic of Wizard Jesus without ever saying it's meant to be Jesus. It will most likely feature my theory that if someone was REALLY a witch, they'd be able to get themselves off of a burning pole. Yep, gonna have to draw that.

Well, if you stick to the earliest stories, you'd have to be a rabbi even. Because if you're getting a magical weapon of destruction, you can't just be any ol' schmuck.

I mean, you need to be highly educated or religiously magical to make a takwin or a homonculi too.

If you don't want to be a villain or emo over the course of the plot, your artificial life probably needs to be ordained by some applicable god. BECAUSE SCIENCE IS EVIL

Yeah... why did the Puritans never get hit by Fridge Logic? "If she can destroy a whole crop, WHY CAN SHE BE THWARTED BY ROPE?!"

Is it more depressing if a character's best friend dies in a fight in which the character was present and failed to help or if a character's best friend dies in a fight in which the character was not present due to circumstances he could have easily avoided (like being in trouble for breaking a reasonable rule, not like a vase coincidentally fell on his foot so he wasn't able to come)?
Kaxen
FurryMink

Well, if you stick to the earliest stories, you'd have to be a rabbi even. Because if you're getting a magical weapon of destruction, you can't just be any ol' schmuck.

I mean, you need to be highly educated or religiously magical to make a takwin or a homonculi too.

If you don't want to be a villain or emo over the course of the plot, your artificial life probably needs to be ordained by some applicable god. BECAUSE SCIENCE IS EVIL

Yeah... why did the Puritans never get hit by Fridge Logic? "If she can destroy a whole crop, WHY CAN SHE BE THWARTED BY ROPE?!"

Is it more depressing if a character's best friend dies in a fight in which the character was present and failed to help or if a character's best friend dies in a fight in which the character was not present due to circumstances he could have easily avoided (like being in trouble for breaking a reasonable rule, not like a vase coincidentally fell on his foot so he wasn't able to come)?
Ahahaha. I laughed.
Yeah, people back then were stupid. Well, they kind of still are, but let's not go down this road.

Kaxen: See, that's why I like Saiyuki: magic and science in and of themselves aren't evil, but combining the two may have apocalyptic results.

Here's worse fridge logic: "Hey, guys, wait...If she floats, she's a witch and we kill her. But if she sinks and drowns, she's not a witch and we just killed a totally innocent women. Aren't we killing people either way? And doesn't the Bible kind of frown upon murder, what with the 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' thing?"

And the latter is more depressing to me. "Hey, your friend died because you were an irresponsible dumbass."

Vicemage: Entertaining evil indeed. Currently I've had Reality is Unrealistic up for a few days and one of my favorite pages is Too Dumb To Live. And Estrogen Brigade Bait.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
FurryMink
Here's worse fridge logic: "Hey, guys, wait...If she floats, she's a witch and we kill her. But if she sinks and drowns, she's not a witch and we just killed a totally innocent women. Aren't we killing people either way? And doesn't the Bible kind of frown upon murder, what with the 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' thing?"

Yeah, but if you're killed wrongly, you get to go to Heaven, so it's totally okay!

EDIT: and somewhere along the way, they tied the women so they could drag them back once they were sure they were definitely sinking like rocks.... lord only knows how many died from near-drowning... swallowing water when you're trying to breathe isn't good for you.

Though at least in the case of the Salem Witch Trials, it was hanging not burning. Though they'd burn you good for cheating on your husband or something.

I'm never sure if hanging is brutal or not. If it is done correctly (in the 19th century, they actually had an equation for the rope relative to the weight of the executionee.), your neck snaps. If they screw up, you get decapitated (don't wet the rope and use the drop length for a skinny man on a fat man. True story.) or a slow death by suffocation.

User Image

Also, Puritans didn't actually wear stupid buckles, black clothes, and steeple hats everywhere. That was added during the 19th century. I FEEL CHEATED, KINDERGARTEN HISTORY LESSON!

Actually, it's kind of weird. Elementary school history is spent saying that the Puritans were great and then subsequent school is spent mentioning why they're all horrible people (with the exception of making the Mayflower Compact).

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Kaxen
FurryMink

Yeah, but if you're killed wrongly, you get to go to Heaven, so it's totally okay!
It's killing in the name of god! Of course it's okay! /s

Oh hey, I'm going to be bouncing ideas here, feel free to reply to them or totally ignore them. I'm just trying to sort this out in my head.

Original story: Violet Fitzgerald, an airship captain by day and slave to a vengeful dark god by night, seeks a way to free herself from both being part of the military and from her master, while still trying to figure out where do her loyalties truly lie.

New re-written story: Victoria Everly, the daughter of a wealthy merchant, becomes envious of Violet Fitzgerald, the captain of the brand new cruise-line airship that Victoria's family frequents, who leads a "courageous, adventurous" life, completely different from her own. Curiosity has lead Victoria to find Violet's deepest, darkest secret, and now she must figure out a way to save both Violet and herself.

The original sounds somewhat broad/vague, at least in my opinion, while the second one is a bit more tight, in that I can see a definite end and whatnot, but it's quite cliche? If you have any input please tell me, also, which one you think is better.

Also, I need to keep my priorities straight in my ideas. @W@
so after reading 4 pages of back log, wow thats a lot of chit chat!

The racial thing: I've heard from foreigners that racism is worst then they would have guessed in the US. I've also seen first hand that places are more likely to hire some one who looks white 'enough' but still is a minority. Other then that, you have a better chance of being hired if you speak another language.

need to draw in another style besides shoujo after this book.
Vicemage
And the only reason I learned anything at all in Printmaking is that he refused to teach it, because it was "too close to Graphic Design." The whole thing sucked.

What the hell? gonk When the hell do etching, engraving and lino feature in graphic design? Traditional printmaking is mostly used in just fine art now. =/ That teacher probably just sucked at printmaking so he didn't teach it. >_>

Eloquent Explorer

Well sure, Jesus can be a wizard.

xD Not saying that he actually out-and-out is Jesus in the same way that Aslan is, but c'mon, defeating the Balrog and coming back to life is a lot like Jesus overcoming death and being resurrected. Unsurprisingly, since Tolkien was a staunch Christian. (And buddies with C.S. Lewis! I was so surprised when I found that out. But he didn't like the Chronicles of Narnia at all XD He called them a 'mish-mash'). Also, the thing that Gandalf does with the pure white clothes (which I know is definitely in the film even if I couldn't point you to the relevant bit of the book, though I'm sure it must have originated from there)? Jesus did the exact same thing. On a mountain, if memory serves correctly, which it probably doesn't. X3
Saraneth 6th Bell
Vicemage
And the only reason I learned anything at all in Printmaking is that he refused to teach it, because it was "too close to Graphic Design." The whole thing sucked.

What the hell? gonk When the hell do etching, engraving and lino feature in graphic design? Traditional printmaking is mostly used in just fine art now. =/ That teacher probably just sucked at printmaking so he didn't teach it. >_>

The man just never made any sense at all, it was usually better to just roll with whatever he said, and then go to one of the other professors for any real information.

Honestly, one of the "greatest" moments of my time in college was when I got to be on the search committee for his replacement. If I'd had the option of staying another year to learn from the new guy we hired in--who not only taught, but did a great job of it, I took his Printmaking class and actually stepped back into a couple of his projects because they looked like (and were) so much fun I didn't want to skip that part--I would have in a heartbeat. Sadly, he was hired on in my final year, and I went long enough that my financial aid was about to be cut off for being a "career student."

(And to clarify an above point: Small school. We didn't have anything fancy like "*insert art class here* 1" and "*same class* 2," we just had a single course for everything and stacking credits for them. So, if you wanted to do more with, say, printmaking, you'd take the class again as a "repeat offender," and instead of replacing your previous credits like most courses, the class would show up a second time with additional credits. In doing so, you were expected to go do your own thing with guidance from the instructor, rather than follow along; to show more improvement than you did the previous time; to assist the other (new) students with their projects; and to assist the professor with demonstrations or other class-related activities.)

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
enchantedsleeper
Well sure, Jesus can be a wizard.

xD Not saying that he actually out-and-out is Jesus in the same way that Aslan is, but c'mon, defeating the Balrog and coming back to life is a lot like Jesus overcoming death and being resurrected. Unsurprisingly, since Tolkien was a staunch Christian. (And buddies with C.S. Lewis! I was so surprised when I found that out. But he didn't like the Chronicles of Narnia at all XD He called them a 'mish-mash'). Also, the thing that Gandalf does with the pure white clothes (which I know is definitely in the film even if I couldn't point you to the relevant bit of the book, though I'm sure it must have originated from there)? Jesus did the exact same thing. On a mountain, if memory serves correctly, which it probably doesn't. X3
I do know Gandalf the Grey becomes Gandalf the White in the books. I read them once, but I'm not overly fond of his writing style.

XD I'm slow. I just realized Slayers likely took their wizard colors from LoTR. Rezo the Red, Halcyform the White...although their colors actually don't mean anything, most wizards are just presented with a color by their local Magic Guild. Lina's is Pink(and embarrasses the hell out of her).
I hate to interrupt the topic at hand, but I just had the most awesome dream ever and if I don't tell someone about it I will explode.

For whatever reason, I was in a giant pagoda on a seaside cliff which is really ******** weird because the inside furniture was all Victorian with lots of red and gold. Two women were talking, so for whatever reason I jump onto a wall and grab hold of it because it's apparently made of fabric and stitched together. All the stitches were coming undone because strong winds were blowing on the fabric due to a huge storm. At one point, the wind sucked the fabric out and I was hanging onto the fabric (which now served as a ceiling) and all I could think was "There's no place like home, there's no place like home" because I'm acrophobic. I eventually managed to claw my way back into the room, only now I was miniaturized and had to make me way to the doorway that led into my dream-bedroom by running along bureas, tables, and a triple dresser set up all along my walls. I eventually got to the doorway and woke up.

TL;DR version: My dream was an awesome mash-up of Shadow of the Colossus, Evil Twin, and Prince of Persia. SO. ********. AWESOME.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
That sounds like a weird but awesome dream. XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items