Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would you take an inexperienced MMO newbie under your wing come lauch time?

Yes. 0.34210526315789 34.2% [ 26 ]
No. 0.18421052631579 18.4% [ 14 ]
I'd be the one looking for mentoring 0.15789473684211 15.8% [ 12 ]
Maybe? 0.31578947368421 31.6% [ 24 ]
Total Votes:[ 76 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
If the User on Gaia is a "Newbie" I will help him or her!

But...if the person is a "noodie" and has been on gaia for more than a month there is a half chance I will say no.

Captain Kat's Husband

Redimus
Sir Silverwing
insults and the universe at large aside, I pose a question to you Red. If someone who was genuinely uninitiated with MMOs and noticed that you had a massive charge level (jokes aside) came up to you and asked you, in a respectful and literate manner if you could show them the ropes how would you respond?

It would do Redimus' oil pumping chrome plated heart much good to meet that one in a million newb who had humility and the capacity for respect and literacy.

I would gleefully try to teach them every single thing I know, and depending on their performance I would be thrilled to endorse their membership into my clan despite their inexperience.
see, that was the kinda answer I was expecting. And I really think there are more literate, or at least trying to be literate, inexperience newbies out there that are genuinely looking for help. Or their will be come launch time.

Captain Kat's Husband

Evil Reelando

But...if the person is a "noodie" and has been on gaia for more than a month there is a half chance I will say no.
I'm not saying let's go out and help the people that say "I WNNA FIGHT KEEL MONSTARS AND B A NINJA LIKE NARUTO" But the ones that really want to play the MMO, and get involved in it's story and gameplay, and hell even use it to further their RP character, I don't mind lending a hand to those people, not a bit.

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Sir Silverwing
Evil Reelando

I'm not saying let's go out and help the people that say "I WNNA FIGHT KEEL MONSTARS AND B A NINJA LIKE NARUTO" But the ones that really want to play the MMO, and get involved in it's story and gameplay, and hell even use it to further their RP character, I don't mind lending a hand to those people, not a bit.

I know what your saying. There is nothing wrong with helping. My statement is that I just don't want to help those who waist my time, depending others around them when they have been around in a game and still don't know who to cast magic missile. I want to help those who really are new to the game or RPG and give them a boost!

Captain Kat's Husband

Evil Reelando
Sir Silverwing
Evil Reelando

I know what your saying. There is nothing wrong with helping. My statement is that I just don't want to help those who waist my time, depending others around them when they have been around in a game and still don't know who to cast magic missile. I want to help those who really are new to the game or RPG and give them a boost!
that's the beauty of the MMO, no one but the people who read up on it are gonna be in the know how. The people who frequent the forum will have a much better grasp of what's going on than the average gaian, who's gonna walk into the MMO with a look of WTF on their face. I want to make sure I can do my best to change that so they aren't overwhelmed by the experience.

Captain Kat's Husband

If you (the general you, this question goes out to all) had the time and resources to help others by teaching, mentoring, or just support in the MMO, would you? There's no right or wrong answer here. just wondering.
Sir Silverwing
If you (the general you, this question goes out to all) had the time and resources to help others by teaching, mentoring, or just support in the MMO, would you? There's no right or wrong answer here. just wondering.

I help others as long as they have the urge to learn...
I mean you can't force a person to learn the facts if they don't want to...
They'll come to hate the subjects...

Captain Kat's Husband

Wonder Fluff
Sir Silverwing

I help others as long as they have the urge to learn...
I mean you can't force a person to learn the facts if they don't want to...
They'll come to hate the subjects...
well, I wouldn't want to help anyone who wasn't asking for help. That's the most important part of teaching someone the in and outs of any system, they want to learn.
The truth about raising apprentices is, unless your a high enough level to give out a little extra time then your simply going to focus on gaming with your clan, or battle buddies.
However, at final level, I don't see what's wrong with showing a newb the ropes.

Captain Kat's Husband

Never_Quested
The truth about raising apprentices is, unless your a high enough level to give out a little extra time then your simply going to focus on gaming with your clan, or battle buddies.
However, at final level, I don't see what's wrong with showing a newb the ropes.
well, what's to keep you from becoming a buddy with a newb that you are showing how to play. Not everyone starts on equal footing. The people who frequent this forum, have read and contributed to the FAQs, stickies, and and other guides floating around here are going to be doing much much better than the gaians that have been spending their time in the other forums with their friends talking about whatever. I can even see finding a group that doesn't know what they are doing needing our help, but that just goes back to the school thing.
Sir Silverwing
Never_Quested
well, what's to keep you from becoming a buddy with a newb that you are showing how to play. Not everyone starts on equal footing. The people who frequent this forum, have read and contributed to the FAQs, stickies, and and other guides floating around here are going to be doing much much better than the gaians that have been spending their time in the other forums with their friends talking about whatever. I can even see finding a group that doesn't know what they are doing needing our help, but that just goes back to the school thing.

But I wouldn't consider that having an apprentice.
Thats more like spending the time to show people how to play, something I'm sure tutorial will take care of.

Captain Kat's Husband

Never_Quested
Sir Silverwing
Never_Quested

Thats more like spending the time to show people how to play, something I'm sure tutorial will take care of.

(omg longest thread I've ever made in 4 1/2 years of being on gaia)
that's true, but will the tutorial show every nuance in the game? the stuff that we'll be able to get a heads up that the average person will be lost in? and how many people are really gonna run through a tutorial because they want to run right into the game and play, but still need help? And also a lot of people are wary of tutorials simply because they are so impersonal. Another human teaches far better than a manual.
Sir Silverwing
Never_Quested
Sir Silverwing
Never_Quested

(omg longest thread I've ever made in 4 1/2 years of being on gaia)
that's true, but will the tutorial show every nuance in the game? the stuff that we'll be able to get a heads up that the average person will be lost in? and how many people are really gonna run through a tutorial because they want to run right into the game and play, but still need help? And also a lot of people are wary of tutorials simply because they are so impersonal. Another human teaches far better than a manual.

Well, then you can also take into account the difference between teaching how to play vs. training a person to grow in levels.
Will you spend your entire day showing a person all the little secrets found in said level, or let them find it on their own? Fight on their own, and learn on their own.

Captain Kat's Husband

well, I'd have to take each person I was teaching on a case by case basis. If I thought the person had great potential and really didn't need that much coddling, I would only be there as training wheels, slowly letting the pupil go until they were running on their own, and didn't need help. Now if the pupil was really in need of help, I'd start at basics, and get them up to a good highpoint, and then show them the small stuff only when I thought they were ready.
Sir Silverwing
well, I'd have to take each person I was teaching on a case by case basis. If I thought the person had great potential and really didn't need that much coddling, I would only be there as training wheels, slowly letting the pupil go until they were running on their own, and didn't need help. Now if the pupil was really in need of help, I'd start at basics, and get them up to a good highpoint, and then show them the small stuff only when I thought they were ready.

I guess it all depends on the users taste.
Some may resent you asking them if they need help, while others will think of it as a chance to get free exp, or even free items. Then there is till the others who truly have no idea what's going on.
Althought I feel that there will be few of those types, I repremend you for wanting to take the time to help.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff