Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would you take an inexperienced MMO newbie under your wing come lauch time?

Yes. 0.34210526315789 34.2% [ 26 ]
No. 0.18421052631579 18.4% [ 14 ]
I'd be the one looking for mentoring 0.15789473684211 15.8% [ 12 ]
Maybe? 0.31578947368421 31.6% [ 24 ]
Total Votes:[ 76 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Sir Silverwing
well, I'd have to take each person I was teaching on a case by case basis. If I thought the person had great potential and really didn't need that much coddling, I would only be there as training wheels, slowly letting the pupil go until they were running on their own, and didn't need help. Now if the pupil was really in need of help, I'd start at basics, and get them up to a good highpoint, and then show them the small stuff only when I thought they were ready.

I'd leave the weakling to suffer till he left the MMO entirely. The internet is no place for the mentally challenged.

Captain Kat's Husband

Never_Quested
Sir Silverwing
well, I'd have to take each person I was teaching on a case by case basis. If I thought the person had great potential and really didn't need that much coddling, I would only be there as training wheels, slowly letting the pupil go until they were running on their own, and didn't need help. Now if the pupil was really in need of help, I'd start at basics, and get them up to a good highpoint, and then show them the small stuff only when I thought they were ready.

I guess it all depends on the users taste.
Some may resent you asking them if they need help, while others will think of it as a chance to get free exp, or even free items. Then there is till the others who truly have no idea what's going on.
Althought I feel that there will be few of those types, I repremend you for wanting to take the time to help.
I don't think I would go up asking people for help, If someone looks like they are doing alright then why bother them? but if I see someone who was really struggling, really looking for help, I wouldn't waste a moment offering my assistance.

Captain Kat's Husband

Redimus
Sir Silverwing

I'd leave the weakling to suffer till he left the MMO entirely. The internet is no place for the mentally challenged.
I think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, and a chance. Someone really lost could be a really amazing person, but just really doesn't know what to do in the MMO
What's wrong with you!It's trying to eat me & you say a snake badge.Yeah thanks alot.<walks away depressed with the snake trying to bite my head>

Sir Silverwing
okay so right now we have

The Right Honorable MG= A Sword?
GenTrigger= Golden Laurel
Kwane the Fallen Ninja= A Shuriken
Rediums= celtic cross
Chokin= Fist or something xd
Sir Silverwing= Two Wings
Otami High Priestess=tatto symbols
Plushie Emperor= Wreath (Is this the word for the thing on top of the King head?)
Sonic: Snake?
Tess: Fan
Radagast9= Leaf
Bronze L= "L"
KrazyJoe= Scythe
melios = book

what about one for you ungoliath? and I'll get more peoples names.

Captain Kat's Husband

Sonic The Hedgehog12
What's wrong with you!It's trying to eat me & you say a snake badge.Yeah thanks alot.<walks away depressed with the snake trying to bite my head>
it was a base list at best, and more of a gag gift thing anyways, well, would you help if you had the time and such? would you be a good mentor?
Sir Silverwing
Sonic The Hedgehog12
it was a base list at best, and more of a gag gift thing anyways, well, would you help if you had the time and such? would you be a good mentor?

Well Kevin I would say I would take a few moments of my life to mentor someone. mrgreen
<Grunny nods>

Captain Kat's Husband

The_Fooler
I don't think that there would be many apprentices in the game. However, you'll see many that ask what they're supposed to do in the game in this forum. ._.

I would, depending on if the newb had some type of gaming experience, take an apprentice or two.
What about those legions of people (as I'm typing this there is over 114K people on gaia) who have never played an MMO in their life? they need help too. Those are the people that were in my mind as I first posted this thread. We need to look to the people who are gonna be lost like an english teacher on the internet.

Dedicated Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
~O~
Maybe even create a guild, and use that as the school. Create a list of people who wouldn't mind helping, and try to direct new players to go there. I think it would work better if the teachers and students were all together, to get more organized. Instead of just randomly picking someone up while playing the game. 3nodding
~O~

6,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Our Guild for the GBSMMO takes in recruits that the crew members find with potential and talent, we take them in and teach them what they need to know, as is what we know at the moment of course.

We teach tactics and equipment along with other skills such as RPing and data collection for other segments of Gaia.
Ebb n Flow Man
~O~
Maybe even create a guild, and use that as the school. Create a list of people who wouldn't mind helping, and try to direct new players to go there. I think it would work better if the teachers and students were all together, to get more organized. Instead of just randomly picking someone up while playing the game. 3nodding
~O~

I agree with the guild part, but not with your sentence "than picking someone up playing the game". If I see somebody that repeatedly dies against a fluff I'd offer him my help immediatly (if I have time), but I won't go around searching people on trouble and luring them in my guild. As Silverwing said, must be the student that search the master, so then he can't complain xd .
I know that likely you didn't intended to mean that, just to point that out.

Quote:
what about one for you ungoliath? and I'll get more peoples names.

It's up to him, but if his badge is not a spider, is an offence to his name smile .

Captain Kat's Husband

Ebb n Flow Man
~O~
~O~
you're right as far as being organized goes, It does tend to help in teaching, whether it be in groups or one on one teaching, organization is key. I guess I could buy a guild, but I'd really rather get someone else to maintain it while I did the mentoring, I've never had good luck with guilds. So if anyone wants to take charge and get us a school of gaia mmo PM me, and I'd be happy to discuss such things with you.

Captain Kat's Husband

Dende Azcure
Our Guild for the GBSMMO takes in recruits that the crew members find with potential and talent, we take them in and teach them what they need to know, as is what we know at the moment of course.

We teach tactics and equipment along with other skills such as RPing and data collection for other segments of Gaia.
See, that's a great thing that you are doing, but I'm not so much worried about those with potential and talent.Potential and talent is all over the internets. I'm thinking about the few and far between that don't have a clue what's going on, that their potential is so far hidden and unused you can't even tell. Or even those with no real potential, but a desire to play.

6,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Sir Silverwing
Dende Azcure

See, that's a great thing that you are doing, but I'm not so much worried about those with potential and talent.Potential and talent is all over the internets. I'm thinking about the few and far between that don't have a clue what's going on, that their potential is so far hidden and unused you can't even tell. Or even those with no real potential, but a desire to play.

We recruit people as well that have no experience as well, we do like seeing people with a skill or two like being able to write down a complete thought and not just, "ROFL BUMP LOL!" I take personal charge of recruiting in our Guild so i look for people with promise or an affinity for the up and coming GBSMMO so we keep a certain sense around new recruits, everyone is different and bring ideas from all points of view.

Captain Kat's Husband

Dende Azcure
Sir Silverwing
Dende Azcure

We recruit people as well that have no experience as well, we do like seeing people with a skill or two like being able to write down a complete thought and not just, "ROFL BUMP LOL!" I take personal charge of recruiting in our Guild so i look for people with promise or an affinity for the up and coming GBSMMO so we keep a certain sense around new recruits, everyone is different and bring ideas from all points of view.
I don't think we'll really be able to recruit people until the MMO comes out, some people who are going to be playing because they want the items will be quite lost, and will need some help. Those are the people I'm concerned with, those are the ones I'm worried will need help and wish to help as much as possible.

6,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
I understand that. The Gates Guild I belong too does all that stuff, we have team captains that teach all those different aspects and teaches them to the other Guild members. People who just want the items for example get to look through our treasury data and maps so they can find out where and how to get the certain items. Were taking data on everything to map location, linguistics, monsters charts, crafting requirements, basically a strategy guide for the entire life of the GBSMMO itself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff