Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Morphine Kiss
I've gotta say guys...I do NOT understand how ANYONE could say "Tanks can be cleaned once a month" My god.

My tank isn't over stocked. I never did add anything else to it except 2 cories, I pretty much have forgotten the schooling fish idea xD Still have that one white cloud minnow that I just don't know what to do with. Needless to say? I'm content with my cories and betta. Though i'm getting betta fever @__@ Did I mention I have over filtration too? xD

Anyhow so I let my tank go for 2 weeks. Because i've been caught up with other things and i'm like...2 weeks can't be that bad if people let theirs go for a month or more.

I brought up so much s**t. I don't even over feed. If anything I think i'm under feeding. I know my betta isn't a poop monster either. xD

I clean weekly about 35% change i'd say. But I did around 60% just getting up nasties. And I think i'm gonna clean again tomorrow. =/

Do you have live plants in your tank?

I really recommend it. Without live plants all that mulm you siphon up really is waste. But /with/ live plants, it's a valuable fertilizer that helps them grow (and when they grow, they improve the tank's biological filtration, so it's like turning fish poop into goodness!)

I find planted tanks to be so much fun. I should upload a picture of mine, it's looking awesome.
Moth Feathers
Morphine Kiss
I've gotta say guys...I do NOT understand how ANYONE could say "Tanks can be cleaned once a month" My god.

My tank isn't over stocked. I never did add anything else to it except 2 cories, I pretty much have forgotten the schooling fish idea xD Still have that one white cloud minnow that I just don't know what to do with. Needless to say? I'm content with my cories and betta. Though i'm getting betta fever @__@ Did I mention I have over filtration too? xD

Anyhow so I let my tank go for 2 weeks. Because i've been caught up with other things and i'm like...2 weeks can't be that bad if people let theirs go for a month or more.

I brought up so much s**t. I don't even over feed. If anything I think i'm under feeding. I know my betta isn't a poop monster either. xD

I clean weekly about 35% change i'd say. But I did around 60% just getting up nasties. And I think i'm gonna clean again tomorrow. =/

I really recommend it. Without live plants all that mulm you siphon up really is waste. But /with/ live plants, it's a valuable fertilizer that helps them grow (and when they grow, they improve the tank's biological filtration, so it's like turning fish poop into goodness!)

I find planted tanks to be so much fun. I should upload a picture of mine, it's looking awesome.

Oh gosh yes xD I'm over run with plants.
I had some Java Fern that I actually just gave away recently because it just...wouldn't...stop. I have one plant now...I can't remember the name of, but it won't stop spreading. xD I don't mind it though I enjoy the look of it. And then i've got Amazon Swords. I love the Swords the most.

Actually though i've been thinking of turning it into a sand tank. Any suggestions there? I want to keep my plants of course. Will the plants still grow properly in the sand? Or should I keep some natural looking rock in with them?

I'm of course worried about the fact I -have- fish and want to change substrates and the whole fact of -possible- cycling all over again from changing. But on the other hand i've read some sources that say if I keep my filter in/on it's fine BUT...changing to sand from what I understand that should be turned off. =/

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Morphine Kiss
Moth Feathers
Morphine Kiss

Oh gosh yes xD I'm over run with plants.
I had some Java Fern that I actually just gave away recently because it just...wouldn't...stop. I have one plant now...I can't remember the name of, but it won't stop spreading. xD I don't mind it though I enjoy the look of it. And then i've got Amazon Swords. I love the Swords the most.

Actually though i've been thinking of turning it into a sand tank. Any suggestions there? I want to keep my plants of course. Will the plants still grow properly in the sand? Or should I keep some natural looking rock in with them?

I'm of course worried about the fact I -have- fish and want to change substrates and the whole fact of -possible- cycling all over again from changing. But on the other hand i've read some sources that say if I keep my filter in/on it's fine BUT...changing to sand from what I understand that should be turned off. =/

I hope my Java fern will do that! I got it last week. It seems like there's a strand of anacharis on it, so I hope that will take off too.
But what's really taking off in my tank is this weird invasive plant I don't know the name of. It is a monster of a plant if there ever was one. I swear, every day I see some new baby leaves coming off of it- not just in one area, but /many/. It propagates faster than duckweed! And there's even little rootlets sticking off the stem, so it's like begging to have a cutting taken off and spread even more, lol.

I wonder if people on planted tank forums ever do plant trades? Take a cutting of one plant, send it to someone, they send you a cutting of one of their plants back. It sounds like it'd be fun! All you'd need would be a plastic baggy in an envelope.

I have an Amazon sword in the corner of my tank but it doesn't do anything. Doesn't grow (at least not in any noticeable amount), doesn't die, nothing.

Sand can work, it's been done before. I haven't personally tried it though. From my research on low-tech (non co2), natural tanks, sand is more compact than gravel which means that the roots often don't get as much oxygen and they don't get that nice mulm from the fishies. So, if you use sand, use a coarse sand, not beach sand. I hear pool filter sand is nice, and it's heavier so it doesn't cloud up as badly.
If you're going to do a substrate change for a planted tank, I have to say I quite enjoy a soil tank myself. =) I have 1 1/2 inches of potting soil capped off with an inch of gravel and it's been nice so far. The idea is that the soil is rich and provides lots of nutrients for the plant roots, but because all that is in the substrate rather than in the water column, there's not much nutrients for the algae. But when you do that, accept the fact that your tank shall never be spotless again. The dirt will get kicked up eventually when planting new plants, uprooting plants, etc. It always settles, but it'll settle on top of the gravel/sand/whatever, as well as settle on top of tank decor, sometimes plant leaves, etc. I don't find it a bad thing but some might consider it unsightly.

Ooor, have you thought about Flourite (or other planted tank substrates, like Eco Complete)?

Insta-cycle the tank. Siphon out some tank water into a bowl. Get a mesh bag and fill it up with gravel from your tank. Now put this bag immediately in the bowl. Yay, all your bacteriums are saved. I have done this many a time, heh, and it works fine. Just make sure the mesh bag is always wet/submerged in tank water. Don't make the dire mistake of placing it in tap water, that'll ruin you.

Lunatic

terradi
Most cats will eventually come around with enough time, care, and snacks. They might not ever be super-snuggly, but they'll make a nice addition to a quiet home. I think any house without a cat in it feels empty.

People get serious about their gardens. Excessive feral populations can be a problem, but I'll take cats running around my city over rats any day of the week. Around here we have programs to catch, spay/neuter, then release ferals. They can't breed, and they continue to compete with the breeding ones for resources so their litters will be fewer. They take the tip off the ears of the ones they catch and fix so they don't waste time catching them again.

An unhappy cat makes some pretty unhappy noises. It really is amazing the amount of volume their little lungs can produce. Some are too wild to be rehabilitated, and are better off being placed in a barn or someplace else where they'll have food and shelter, but not be forced to be around people if they don't feel like it. Others will eventually settle down and be more "decorative" than snuggly pets. And there are a few who decide they really like this whole "being a pet" business.

Ohi used to fetch. I'd throw the ball and he'd go get it. I could even throw it down the basement stairs and he'd bring it back up. He grew out of that after a while though. Our Siamese-mix currently adores our dog, but neither of them know how to fetch.
gaia_kittenstar
Moth Feathers

I hope my Java fern will do that! I got it last week. It seems like there's a strand of anacharis on it, so I hope that will take off too.
But what's really taking off in my tank is this weird invasive plant I don't know the name of. It is a monster of a plant if there ever was one. I swear, every day I see some new baby leaves coming off of it- not just in one area, but /many/. It propagates faster than duckweed! And there's even little rootlets sticking off the stem, so it's like begging to have a cutting taken off and spread even more, lol.

I wonder if people on planted tank forums ever do plant trades? Take a cutting of one plant, send it to someone, they send you a cutting of one of their plants back. It sounds like it'd be fun! All you'd need would be a plastic baggy in an envelope.

I have an Amazon sword in the corner of my tank but it doesn't do anything. Doesn't grow (at least not in any noticeable amount), doesn't die, nothing.

Sand can work, it's been done before. I haven't personally tried it though. From my research on low-tech (non co2), natural tanks, sand is more compact than gravel which means that the roots often don't get as much oxygen and they don't get that nice mulm from the fishies. So, if you use sand, use a coarse sand, not beach sand. I hear pool filter sand is nice, and it's heavier so it doesn't cloud up as badly.
If you're going to do a substrate change for a planted tank, I have to say I quite enjoy a soil tank myself. =) I have 1 1/2 inches of potting soil capped off with an inch of gravel and it's been nice so far. The idea is that the soil is rich and provides lots of nutrients for the plant roots, but because all that is in the substrate rather than in the water column, there's not much nutrients for the algae. But when you do that, accept the fact that your tank shall never be spotless again. The dirt will get kicked up eventually when planting new plants, uprooting plants, etc. It always settles, but it'll settle on top of the gravel/sand/whatever, as well as settle on top of tank decor, sometimes plant leaves, etc. I don't find it a bad thing but some might consider it unsightly.

Ooor, have you thought about Flourite (or other planted tank substrates, like Eco Complete)?

Insta-cycle the tank. Siphon out some tank water into a bowl. Get a mesh bag and fill it up with gravel from your tank. Now put this bag immediately in the bowl. Yay, all your bacteriums are saved. I have done this many a time, heh, and it works fine. Just make sure the mesh bag is always wet/submerged in tank water. Don't make the dire mistake of placing it in tap water, that'll ruin you.

Guaranteed your java fern will xD I couldn't -kill- mine. Actually the thing I have now I can't kill either. xD
I have actually heard of people sending plants to eachother via mail =D With as many as I get...i'd just send tons of little babies because right now I don't know what to do except throw them away .-. Not many people like live plants here.

My swords...I started with 3 and ended up with a 4th. Actually I was 99% sure I killed it but I kept it around and it all came back. xD
And here: Picture of my tank: Click

And, I would -love- to see pictures of your tank. You had mentioned the soil tank to me before and i'd seen you talk to someone else about it too. I tried to google a bit about it and look for pics online to get a brief idea but couldn't find much. =/ Though if it's messy it's definitely not for me...xD I'm constantly in there rearranging things

Besides mesh bags someone mentioned to just get some cheap pantyhose to put the gravel in?

Anyhow and the sand...my options are pretty much...Playsand. xD I know there are various things I can order in the shop, some of it looks really nice too, but customers tell me the sands we do get seem to take a long long time to settle.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Morphine Kiss
Moth Feathers

Guaranteed your java fern will xD I couldn't -kill- mine. Actually the thing I have now I can't kill either. xD
I have actually heard of people sending plants to eachother via mail =D With as many as I get...i'd just send tons of little babies because right now I don't know what to do except throw them away .-. Not many people like live plants here.

My swords...I started with 3 and ended up with a 4th. Actually I was 99% sure I killed it but I kept it around and it all came back. xD
And here: Picture of my tank: Click

And, I would -love- to see pictures of your tank. You had mentioned the soil tank to me before and i'd seen you talk to someone else about it too. I tried to google a bit about it and look for pics online to get a brief idea but couldn't find much. =/ Though if it's messy it's definitely not for me...xD I'm constantly in there rearranging things

Besides mesh bags someone mentioned to just get some cheap pantyhose to put the gravel in?

Anyhow and the sand...my options are pretty much...Playsand. xD I know there are various things I can order in the shop, some of it looks really nice too, but customers tell me the sands we do get seem to take a long long time to settle.

You're the exact opposite of me, heh. I absolutely hate messing around in my tank. I feel like such a meanie, accidentally hitting the plants (though they obviously don't care), getting duckweed on my hands, etc. I try to leave it alone as much as possible.

I absolutely hate how so many pet stores don't sell live plants or otherwise have a horrible selection. At least two pet stores near me don't sell live plants at all, none whatsoever (though one pet store is willing to special order them for you). Even WALMART of all places sells live aquarium plants, it's such a disappointment when an actual pet store can't be bothered to.
I find aquariums really, really boring without live plants. I'm scared for the day when you can hardly find aquarium plants.

Pantyhouse works. It doesn't matter what you use- in fact, you don't really need to use anything at all, you could just drop the gravel in there if you want. It's just that using some sort of bag makes it easier and it means you can easily remove it once your bacteria takes over again.

I take new tank pictures every Saturday so these aren't the most updated. Since then I've added the Java fern, removed the mesh bag that sat on my driftwood (it FINALLY sinks. Hooray!) and removed a lot of the fake plastic plants since my real ones are taking over. But it gives you an idea.
Click on the picture to make them big! If it asks for a photobucket password, type 'aquarium'.
The pictures have timestamps, so you can tell how it's progressed in such a short amount of time...

User Image
First day I got it...

User Image
User Image
User Image

This is 10/8

User ImageUser Image
User Image
This is 10/16

The plants grow so fast, I have them sticking out of my filter!
User Image

Just kidding, it's a fake plant. It keeps my outflow from pushing around my duckweed too much. And it looks pretty darn weird, so I like it.

User Image
That's what the soil/gravel looks like. It's not that bad, I really like it.

I just have to stick in some finch cuteness. I walked upstairs and saw Cheep chilling out in the funnel. About died from the cuteness. He was all up in there, shuffling about to get comfortable. I couldn't get too close since I didn't want to spook him. I keep the funnel in there to fill up the hanging feeders with seed, but I guess he found an alternative use!
User Image
User Image

If you show one cute finch picture, you gots to show another...
User Image
From a long time ago, but both of my boys took a bath and then proceeded to get up on their swing...together! Usually it's more like one bird is on the swing, another one is trying to figure out how to get up there as well. But this, this is true cooperation, lol.
Rauhiss
terradi
Ohman, that is just too cute. I'd want to keep two that get along that well together too.

If they did, it'd be easier to tell which ones were causing trouble at three in the morning...

Ah. We live out in the countryside. More cows than people around here, so our cats all come and go as they please. We have a little plastic pet door that they use so we don't have to worry about them being locked out in bad weather. But even out here in the middle of nowhere it's dangerous. The speed limit on this road's 55, but we see a lot of people that are easily doing at least 80. We've lost quite a few cats to traffic, at least one to predators, and a few have simply vanished without a trace. There was one that died of old age. Plus we're constantly having to give flea/tick drops and de-worming pills. But seeing how happy they are running around outside, chasing critters or rolling in the dirt in the driveway...

I think I read somewhere that cats learned to make weird chirpy noises as a way to manipulate humans. There was some study or something that said that the more an animal's cry sounds like a human baby's, the more a human will want to pamper it or some such. Which wouldn't surprise me at all. Cats are extremely skilled at training their humans. One of mine has even taught me to fetch. I give her the toy, she plays with it for a bit then drops it on the ground. I pick it up and give it back to her. Rinse, repeat.
I've read that too, and I totally believe it. Cats are kind of evil... awesome, but still. I believe they can totally "train" us!

JosephineReally
Morphine Kiss
JosephineReally
Wow! Didn't expect the replies!

@Everyone- I would love to make a good educational thread, the only problem is I would mostly be ripping my knowledge from the dog bible and I'm trying to think of a good way to include all dog breeds into it-and there are so many dog breeds. I'm tempted to make one where someone drops the name of a breed they're interested in and then I post the information on that breed-of course if I do that I'd then pull it from multiple books I own and info I know about the dog breed personally.

As for helping people pick a breeder, I'm not sure I can do that since I only know the basics of what to look into for a breeder since I've never purchased from a legit one. I can talk about how throwing two dogs together and hoping for the best is not a good thing though.

And another problem I foresee is that there's a pretty good chance that my son will be born in early December instead of early January and I don't know how much time I will have for gaia for a bit. sad

Damn you RL and you're standing in my way!

Well, you could reserve every post on the front page. And then of course information can go there.
But, perhaps section things into "Most Popular/Asked about" breeds somehow on the front page. Then if someone wants information on something else you can also go from there. And then you know, if there's a thread about a certain breed just link to that thread so you aren't repetitive. I feel like we have a pit bull thread already?
Could even section it into sizes? XS, S, MD, L, XLG? xD
I'd sure love something about chihuahuas. Most often seen as the bratty spoiled dog but--mine are the opposite. Perfect if well trained, but mine aren't perfect they're still working on training xD

We just need an army of dog lovers for this. Everyone make a thread. xD
Those are good ideas. There is a pit thread and I remember it being really nice and having a lot more information than I could definitely provide on the breed.

I think that this idea will definitely be put on a back burner until I actually have the time to do it. That other thread just makes me mad in its not actually being helpful at all and basically a giant twitter dump. :/ Lame. I guess I could only do the AKC dogs and then it should be slimmed down to like 150 (?) breeds, I think. Meh.

Yeah, we just need to make a giant thread for dog breeds and have it frequented by a few dog loving regulars who are able to answer questions.
If the pit thread wasn't Bully Breeds I would like the link for the Betterment list. 3nodding

Lunatic

Kipluck
I've read that too, and I totally believe it. Cats are kind of evil... awesome, but still. I believe they can totally "train" us!
If I remember correctly (which I rarely do) I think it was in a book called "The Cat Who Cried For Help". It's about behavioral problems in cats. The author is a vet who used actual cases from their practice and their own cats at home for examples. Great book.
Rauhiss
Kipluck
If I remember correctly (which I rarely do) I think it was in a book called "The Cat Who Cried For Help". It's about behavioral problems in cats. The author is a vet who used actual cases from their practice and their own cats at home for examples. Great book.
I just read about it in a study. I think it is the same one as here? But I don't know. Totally adding that Cat Who Cried For Help to my Goodreads list.

Awhile ago I read Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know and REALLY liked it. I felt like following it up with a good cat behavior book. Unfortunately, the one recommended to me was The Inner Cat. OH MY GOSH. SUCH crap. Talk about not anthpomorphizing, she actually says to EXPLAIN to your cat how a new cat is coming to be their friend and that it will enrich their lives. Yeah, because your cat understands that.

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Team Edward 100
hi how are you

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Rauhiss
Most cats will eventually come around with enough time, care, and snacks. They might not ever be super-snuggly, but they'll make a nice addition to a quiet home. I think any house without a cat in it feels empty.

People get serious about their gardens. Excessive feral populations can be a problem, but I'll take cats running around my city over rats any day of the week. Around here we have programs to catch, spay/neuter, then release ferals. They can't breed, and they continue to compete with the breeding ones for resources so their litters will be fewer. They take the tip off the ears of the ones they catch and fix so they don't waste time catching them again.

An unhappy cat makes some pretty unhappy noises. It really is amazing the amount of volume their little lungs can produce. Some are too wild to be rehabilitated, and are better off being placed in a barn or someplace else where they'll have food and shelter, but not be forced to be around people if they don't feel like it. Others will eventually settle down and be more "decorative" than snuggly pets. And there are a few who decide they really like this whole "being a pet" business.

Ohi used to fetch. I'd throw the ball and he'd go get it. I could even throw it down the basement stairs and he'd bring it back up. He grew out of that after a while though. Our Siamese-mix currently adores our dog, but neither of them know how to fetch.

Empty but peaceful! I've lived without cats or dogs for almost five years. Having animals in the house again is kind of weird.

TNR isn't so big in Japan. My volunteer group does it, which is how I got involved with them, but for the most part people just leave ferals alone. Unfortunately, the idea of spaying or neutering ones pets is also kind of new. Japan has a long ways to go in terms of proper animal care. Though ... some areas are better than others. The prefecture my shelter is in, Shiga, does not accept feral cats at animal shelters. They urge people to put them back where they came from and they will not kill them because they're not seen as an issue. The neighboring prefecture, Mie, just ran a program to catch and kill ferals. They were urging people to put out poison.

My Ota is probably the type that will never really be an indoor pet. Hopefully he can live a reasonably long life outside though.
omfg I am so over spam like this: "PUPPEHZ R CUTEEZ hucfksebhcebvhebhcubsdhucbsdhyubchde". I swear to god uggggh. And I have nothing better to do then go around reporting idiots tonight. My chicken is dead, my dog has been stressing me out by being constipated until just before, both dogs went nuts over a german shepherd walking calmly past the yard while I was refilling the chickens water (thankfully they guy was nice enough to stop before passing and let me catch Sparky) , and all I want to do is put on my virtual police cap and report report report!

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • First step to fame 200
Kipluck
I'm pretty sure thats the one I'm thinking of-which I love. Its really well done!

4,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Puppies are so cute but I think I like cats more mad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items