Some of the bully breeds that you may think you know:
-American Pit Bull Terrier
-American Bully
-American Staffordshire Terrier
-English Bull Terrier
+Miniature Bull Terrier
-Staffordshire Bull Terrier
-American Bulldog

These dogs are not a menace to society. In fact, they are quite the opposite. These dogs are the target of Breed Specific Legislation, an unfair, expensive and ineffective law that bans "pit bulls" and anything that looks like them.

I love the bully breeds, and the purpose of this thread is to educate people about them and to appreciate these dogs.

Disclaimer: Take this thread with a grain of salt.

I am open to suggestions on how to better the thread and inform people.

*Title Banner made by the lovely Miss Z0MBIED*
The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT)

The APBT is the most commonly owned out of the Bully Breeds. Contrary to how the media paints them, they are not baby-killing monsters who are out to rip your face off. Like any dog, given the correct treatment and training, pit bulls are the most loving, loyal, and sweet dogs.

However, they are not for everyone. They have extremely high energy levels, and can be quite destructive if left alone. Crate training is the way to go.

Unfortunately, the APBT was originally bred to fight other dogs. This is what causes dog-aggression (DA) in pits. There is no way to "train out" dog aggression. Does this mean you can't have more than one dog, if you have a pit? No, of course not. It just means you can't have unsupervised play-time. Of course, my belief is that NO dogs should be left unsupervised together.

Something interesting about the APBT: They can and are trained to be seeing eye dogs. My friend Jamie is legally blind without her glasses, and her pit Athena has completed the 1st part of Seeing-Eye Dog training courses and is now in her 2nd part.

So what does the American Pit Bull Terrier look like? Oh yes, it's time for adorable pictures! This is Rigby, a young female APBT.

User Image
American Bully

The AmBully is NOT an APBT. It is also not a "gator mouth" or a "Blue pit". They are what generations of breeding American Staffordshire Terriers and American Pit Bulls made.

AmBullies are more stout than the other bully breeds. They're generally more muscular as well. They also are more prone to dog aggression.

If you are considering getting an AmBully, do your research. Unfortunately, backyard breeders have taken advantage of them. They've created these genetic frankenstein dogs called "pocket pits". They are horribly bred disasters. Also, don't believe anyone who claims their dogs are "gator mouths". It's a scam. If they're using any color in their "breed name", it's not real. "Blue pits" aren't real. It's a coloration, not a breed.

A little interesting fun fact about AmBullies: They are not "fat and lazy" as some people think. They're very high energy dogs, just like the other bully breeds.

And oh yes, it's picture time! First is a puppy from Powerhaus Pits, an AmBully Breeder from Illinois. Second is an adult AmBully with natural ears, I'm blanking on the name.

User Image

User Image
American Staffordshire Terrier

The American Staffordshire Terrier was created after breeding the American Pit Bull Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They are beautiful, strong dogs.

They do look rather close to the AmBully, but with distinguishing characteristics. They're about the same height as the APBT. They also have DA issues. I'm not quite as educated on them as I am some of the other bully breeds, so I'd appreciate some input from AmStaff owners.

The first picture is an AmStaff puppy named Ghoul, the 2nd is an AmStaff adult named Shilo.

User Image

User Image
English and Mini Bull Terriers

Do you want a wacky, playful, adorable dog with boundless energy? Then the Bull Terrier is for you! These dogs are just plain stinkin' cute. They have a "longer" face than other dogs, but they are still very plainly bull.

Having a Bull Terrier would be like having a 4 year old child that never grows up. They are crazy happy, crazy energetic, and just plain crazy. They are also crazy lovey.

A little interesting fact about the Bull Terrier? The "Target dog" was a mini Bull Terrier, named Nikki.

These dogs are ADORABLE and I WANT ONE.

Nikki, the Target Dog, mini Bull Terrier.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This is Bowzer, a standard Bull Terrier.

User Image
Staffordshire Bull Terrier

The Staffy is another beautiful example of a Bully Breed. They are very active dogs, and like the other bully breeds, love people.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier was mixed with the American Pit Bull Terrier to create the "AmStaff" or American Staffordshire Terrier. Then the AmStaff was mixed back with the APBT to create the American Bully.

Oh, and did I mention their temperament? HAPPY. Happy happy happy. It'd be like if you shoved a kid into a candy store and told them to go crazy. That's how this dog is, all the freakin' time.

This is Trixy, a female SBT who shows just how happy these dogs are.

User Image

User Image
American Bulldog

This dog is one of the larger, heavier breeds. They're still clearly bully, but they're not a terrier. They were originally farm dogs.

These dogs have a more gruff look to them, but don't let that fool you; they are gentle giants with your children.

They are beautiful dogs, and I would love to know more about them.

These are two different dogs, their names escape me.

User Image

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas