Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Ladykiller

Black Lust Perfume
1tty bitty kitty
Mazohyst_Kyo is D E A D
Black Lust Perfume
Mazohyst_Kyo is D E A D
Are we supposed to have thoughts about deaf people? Those a*****e deaf people are probably plotting to overthrow the government.
What do you mean by that?

It was sarcasm, they're deaf the hell would I think differently about them for

Sarcasm is different for deaf people and hearing people, so don't be surprised when they don't understand your joke or you don't understand theirs.
That right, Deaf's jokes is based on images. I rarely get people's jokes because it just doesnt make sense but I get Deaf's jokes very well and laugh hard.

I'm glad I can remember all this blaugh
Lucky bastards.

I say this because I have nearly the exact opposite problem. I hear too well, to the point that I can't ignore any sound. I get panic attacks, I can't concentrate, and so on. I wear earplugs 22 hours a day - 24 if I don't shower. I have seriously contemplated making myself deaf, but I know that it would cause a lot of barriers in my life.

Sexy Turtle

Captain Jailbait
I think they're fine. The only thing that bothers me is when deaf parents try to keep their deaf children from getting hearing aids if those would help because they see deafness as a culture. I've actually never met a deaf person, but my aunt is a sign language interpreter.
Actually, the doctors dont offer them hearing aids for children anymore, they offers cochlear implant which why Deaf parents refused since it kills the Deaf Community.

5,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
1tty bitty kitty
The Simple C
1tty bitty kitty

I think it depends on location - where I'm at, it's accepted because so few businesses here have ASL/ESL interpreters or opportunities for those who'd need ASL/ESL to communicate. My boyfriend's dad, who was partially raised by a deaf great-uncle, is working to give more opportunities to the deaf community but it's taking a lot of time.

Who exactly is it accepted by? The hearing or deaf community?

Where I'm at, both. Because, again, where I am there are (including the state-wide disability commission company) less than five businesses that will hire entirely deaf people because they can't afford to hire interpreters or pay for non-deaf staff to learn ASL/ESL. All of the businesses that do hire entirely deaf people are filled up already, so in my town there are a rare few in the deaf community who ask for donations.

...Then again, my town has a lot of people, deaf and non-deaf alike, who are asking for donations because they can't find work.

Sexy Turtle

1tty bitty kitty
Black Lust Perfume
1tty bitty kitty

When I was a toddler and didn't speak, they taught me SEE in hopes that I'd learn proper English when I learned to speak. Didn't really work, but I took an ASL class about a year ago. I know a little SEE, but I mostly know ASL.
Oh yeah, I was raised by learning SEE first then I got first interpreter at school which got me interested in learning ASL so I learned it from my old interpreter haha.

I'm pretty sure they've started teaching deaf children both now. They taught SEE for your age group in hopes that they would learn how to read and write proper english, but it hasn't always worked. People who only know SEE can't really communicate so easily with those who only know ASL, so I think they've started teaching both. I may be wrong though
After years of researching, they found out that teaching Deaf people SEE failed having a good education. Teach ASL gives them better learning of educations so they now only teach ASL.
Black Lust Perfume
Captain Jailbait
I think they're fine. The only thing that bothers me is when deaf parents try to keep their deaf children from getting hearing aids if those would help because they see deafness as a culture. I've actually never met a deaf person, but my aunt is a sign language interpreter.
Actually, the doctors dont offer them hearing aids for children anymore, they offers cochlear implant which why Deaf parents refused since it kills the Deaf Community.
That's what I meant. I get that they want to remain a part of the deaf community, but they should only make that choice for themselves, not their children.

Sexy Turtle

1tty bitty kitty

I'm glad I can remember all this blaugh
Of course! :]

Rainbow Ladykiller

Black Lust Perfume
1tty bitty kitty
Black Lust Perfume
1tty bitty kitty

When I was a toddler and didn't speak, they taught me SEE in hopes that I'd learn proper English when I learned to speak. Didn't really work, but I took an ASL class about a year ago. I know a little SEE, but I mostly know ASL.
Oh yeah, I was raised by learning SEE first then I got first interpreter at school which got me interested in learning ASL so I learned it from my old interpreter haha.

I'm pretty sure they've started teaching deaf children both now. They taught SEE for your age group in hopes that they would learn how to read and write proper english, but it hasn't always worked. People who only know SEE can't really communicate so easily with those who only know ASL, so I think they've started teaching both. I may be wrong though
After years of researching, they found out that teaching Deaf people SEE failed having a good education. Teach ASL gives them better learning of educations so they now only teach ASL.

Ah, ok. I remember my teach talking about that. Luckily you found an interpreter that would teach you

Sexy Turtle

CleoSombra
Lucky bastards.

I say this because I have nearly the exact opposite problem. I hear too well, to the point that I can't ignore any sound. I get panic attacks, I can't concentrate, and so on. I wear earplugs 22 hours a day - 24 if I don't shower. I have seriously contemplated making myself deaf, but I know that it would cause a lot of barriers in my life.
Awww, Thats sucks, but maybe ask for something that can turn the sounds lower, hearing aid maybe? Just an Advice
Black Lust Perfume
Reyna224
Black Lust Perfume
Reyna224
Black Lust Perfume
Reyna224
They are people just like everyone else. No one should ever think less of someone with disabilities. I used to know how to sign pretty well but now I'm pretty rusty.
Keep practicing wink who knows, you maybe find a lover who is Deaf?

You never know, huh? razz I've been meaning to sharpen it back up again haha.
Check this site out aslpro.com Maybe it can help you sharp your sign language skills again? heart

Neat, thanks! biggrin Saves me the expense of taking a class if I can sharpen up with that site.
Hahaha, you are very welcome sweetie. I am surprised that there is not even a bad comment about Deaf since last time I made a thread, it was hell, painful from those mean Gaians.

Some people are just ignorant assholes. I just feel sorry for them because they are the ones stuck in their bigotry ways and lack of intelligence or understanding. People just tend to hate or fear what they cannot grasp. Don't let them get to you, they are just people with meager opinions that mean nothing unless you let it. Anyway, thanks for the link! Take care and good luck with your thread. :3

Sexy Turtle

Captain Jailbait
Black Lust Perfume
Captain Jailbait
That's what I meant. I get that they want to remain a part of the deaf community, but they should only make that choice for themselves, not their children.
What if a child wants to be deaf, they cant just remove the machine in their skull. That why they rather their child to be old enough to make decision since its their body.

Sexy Turtle

1tty bitty kitty

Ah, ok. I remember my teach talking about that. Luckily you found an interpreter that would teach you
Interpreter are not supposed to teach, so basic, I learned by watching her signing hehe.

5,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Black Lust Perfume
Go for the career, we seriously need more interpreters those days.

I know! Right now I'm in the middle of my Bachelor's in Information Technology (Multimedia & Web Site Development), but when I pay back the loans from that and get myself in a financially stable situation, I'll start a college program in sign language interpretation. emotion_yatta

Sexy Turtle

Reyna224
Black Lust Perfume
Reyna224
Black Lust Perfume
Reyna224

You never know, huh? razz I've been meaning to sharpen it back up again haha.
Check this site out aslpro.com Maybe it can help you sharp your sign language skills again? heart

Neat, thanks! biggrin Saves me the expense of taking a class if I can sharpen up with that site.
Hahaha, you are very welcome sweetie. I am surprised that there is not even a bad comment about Deaf since last time I made a thread, it was hell, painful from those mean Gaians.

Some people are just ignorant assholes. I just feel sorry for them because they are the ones stuck in their bigotry ways and lack of intelligence or understanding. People just tend to hate or fear what they cannot grasp. Don't let them get to you, they are just people with meager opinions that mean nothing unless you let it. Anyway, thanks for the link! Take care and good luck with your thread. :3
Very true. and again, you are very welcome! If someone is being rude or mean about people being Deaf, clearly, they are JEALOUS!

Rainbow Ladykiller

Black Lust Perfume
1tty bitty kitty

Interpreter are not supposed to teach, so basic, I learned by watching her signing hehe.

So you taught yourself? Nifty biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces