Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sexy Turtle

Desaparecendo
I'd like to meet a deaf person cat_biggrin
Google for Location of Deaf Events and get yourself attend. wink

OG GO

I don't think people realize how much they take advantage of being able to hear. I'm 17 years old and I have had surgery every year since I was 6 to try and 'fix' my hearing problem. It hasn't been successful.

Seriously, there are so many little things people who can hear really well take advantage of.
I can't hear the tv unless it's 'loud' to others. I have to turn up music almost to maximum level and not by choice. I get in trouble because my teachers think I'm not listening to them when they call my name. People get annoyed with me when I constantly have to ask them to repeat what they say. Sometimes when I go to the movies and the characters are talking, I can't hear them so I have to ask the person next to me what they said. Even though I can hear myself talk, I'm not able to determine how loud I'm talking so when I think I'm talking normally I'm actually mumbling and you have no idea how annoying this is to people.

I'm fortunate I am not completely deaf, and I think about how lucky I am everyday to be able to hear anything at all. People who can hear and don't think about what a lucky person they are...you really should appreciate it. You are lucky.

Sexy Turtle

Pandoras Locks
I don't think people realize how much they take advantage of being able to hear. I'm 17 years old and I have had surgery every year since I was 6 to try and 'fix' my hearing problem. It hasn't been successful.

Seriously, there are so many little things people who can hear really well take advantage of.
I can't hear the tv unless it's 'loud' to others. I have to turn up music almost to maximum level and not by choice. I get in trouble because my teachers think I'm not listening to them when they call my name. People get annoyed with me when I constantly have to ask them to repeat what they say. Sometimes when I go to the movies and the characters are talking, I can't hear them so I have to ask the person next to me what they said. Even though I can hear myself talk, I'm not able to determine how loud I'm talking so when I think I'm talking normally I'm actually mumbling and you have no idea how annoying this is to people.

I'm fortunate I am not completely deaf, and I think about how lucky I am everyday to be able to hear anything at all. People who can hear and don't think about what a lucky person they are...you really should appreciate it. You are lucky.
So you have cochlear impaired? If no, that is called abuse by trying to "Fix your ears" as you were treated like Rat labs.

OG GO

Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks

So you have cochlear impaired? If no, that is called abuse by trying to "Fix your ears" as you were treated like Rat labs.

To be honest the only thing I know is that my ears are unable to drain properly so my ears are constantly filled with fluid. I have to wear ear plugs when I get in any water or else I get an ear infection. I'm not sure if that is cochlear impairment though. But what I mean by fix is that they insert tubes into my ears so they will drain and it workss for about 6 months and then it fails again. They've been doing this so that I can hear properly for a least a while. But I imagine soon they will just tell em I need a hearing aid.

Sexy Turtle

Pandoras Locks
Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks

To be honest the only thing I know is that my ears are unable to drain properly so my ears are constantly filled with fluid. I have to wear ear plugs when I get in any water or else I get an ear infection. I'm not sure if that is cochlear impairment though. But what I mean by fix is that they insert tubes into my ears so they will drain and it workss for about 6 months and then it fails again. They've been doing this so that I can hear properly for a least a while. But I imagine soon they will just tell em I need a hearing aid.
I had that when I was baby and I got my ear tubes fixed when I was only 2 years old and I have been fine since. That is odd.

OG GO

Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks
Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks

I had that when I was baby and I got my ear tubes fixed when I was only 2 years old and I have been fine since. That is odd.

That's what they say as well. My ears just keep rejecting them.

Sexy Turtle

Pandoras Locks

That is very weird, i know many people who had to get their tubes fixed, became perfectly fine and dont needed more surgeries on that tubes. To me, sound like the surgery ******** something in your tube and want to use your family for money. Maybe you should research more to find out?

1,800 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
Black Lust Perfume
i i C A T A S T R O P H E
I love Deaf people and the culture! Im semi-fluent in ASL but since I moved last year, havent found any deaf person in my area or at least another deaf person to talk to. :c
Have you google to find out if there is any Deaf Events near by you? I find it helpful for myself.
There was something in my area at Borders but they closed down so I havent heard anything. :c

Sexy Turtle

Black Lust Perfume
I love Deaf people and the culture! Im semi-fluent in ASL but since I moved last year, havent found any deaf person in my area or at least another deaf person to talk to. :c
Have you google to find out if there is any Deaf Events near by you? I find it helpful for myself.
There was something in my area at Borders but they closed down so I havent heard anything. :c
Sometimes Facebook have group of area for Deaf people to get to know each other.

1,800 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
Black Lust Perfume
Black Lust Perfume
Sometimes Facebook have group of area for Deaf people to get to know each other.
They might. Ill have to look into it. ^^

Sexy Turtle

They might. Ill have to look into it. ^^
Hope you have some luck! ;]
Pandoras Locks
Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks
Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks

This is actually more common than you would think. I know someone who's having the same problems; his ear rejects the tube or whatever it is that they put in. I never researched it, but maybe it's something you could find out more about?

Devoted Hunter

Black Lust Perfume
Lady Peverell
Oh my gosh, it is SO nice to finally meet someone who has a disability such as myself!!

I'm deaf in my left ear, and hard of hearing in my right. I was born this way. I LOVE your avatar! And I admire this thread you started! You're the first Gaian I've ever met who I could connect with! Would you like to be friends? (:
Honestly, I find that a very insulted when you named Deaf people "Disability".

While it may be insulting to some, some people learn it's a disability and some people think differently, there's no need to feel insulted or judge based on ones intelligence of what they have. This person was trying to connect with you in a way she hasn't had with anyone before. She is my best friend although we can't speak properly on the phone, when I visited her we wrote notes, but it all made it seem much more secretive, more personal than speaking. My great grandfather is also partially deaf, I see nothing wrong with deaf people.

To avoid an argument and drama, I've said my piece and took up for my best friend, as I should have, I'll no longer post in here, so please just ignore this message.

Chatty Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
It's awkward trying to communicate with deaf people as a cashier.

Reveler

8,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Profitable 100
i used to go to school with a deaf boy, he was pretty normal and in elementary school we got to learn sign language, i don't remember much tho. i know most of the alphabet and pet animals like dog, cat, turtle. i also know the basic please, thank you, and your welcome.

i used to be really into in and tried to teach myself by googling how to say somethings, then i just started watching the boy's sign translator (she was really nice too) because she spoke out loud while signing and so i picked up a bit but that was all over a year ago so like i said before i don't know too much.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff