I don't, but I know someone who does 0.13606155998601 13.6% [ 389 ]
No 0.17908359566282 17.9% [ 512 ]
Total Votes:[ 2859 ]
< 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 692 693 694 > >> >>> »|

7,500 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Wall Street 200
Wow, this thread's page-gaining pretty fast. It's good to finally see a decent self-injury thread going in the LD. I don't have anything I'd like to add to the discussion, but kudos to you guys.

Eloquent Conversationalist

Sweet dreams and sleep with angels Daimin. It'll be lovely to see you again.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
April Of Eden
Wow, this thread's page-gaining pretty fast. It's good to finally see a decent self-injury thread going in the LD. I don't have anything I'd like to add to the discussion, but kudos to you guys.

Thank you so much, sweetheart, it means a lot that you posted. Thanks for the encouragement and the bump, and feel free to post here whenever you'd like, you're more than welcome.

April Of Eden
Thank you very much for your support and appreciation. You're welcome to stick around. I like to think that we gain pages quickly because we've got three somewhat differing opinion that quote per post.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Goodnight, Daimin! Thanks for posting, you have a lovely night, sweet dreams. Subscribe to us if you like, we'd love to have you here.

7,500 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Wall Street 200
summer1412
April Of Eden

Thank you so much, sweetheart, it means a lot that you posted. Thanks for the encouragement and the bump, and feel free to post here whenever you'd like, you're more than welcome.

My pleasure. Thanks and good luck.
GoddessDivine
Sorry Kain, I'll keep that in mind.

I know exactly what you mean. My scars are an affirmation of things that I've worked through and managed to survive. I'm so glad that's a realization that you've come to.

Ugh, some doctors can be so thick. I have to honestly draw word pictures for mine sometimes. I'm so glad that you're recovering so well though. That sounds very scary.

No need for apologies. questa notte is just a phrase in italian, and it makes me lol when people call me by such, or break it apart, and the meaning is a little different, then. :]

It's one of the best realizations I've come to. And with that, I've helped my best friend when she did her self-harm thing.

My neurologist is a stupid ********, honestly. He doesn't really listen to my concerns. He gets so into EVERYTHING HAS TO BE CAUSED BY THIS, SO I WON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING ELSE.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
April Of Eden
summer1412
April Of Eden

My pleasure. Thanks and good luck.

Have a great night, April!

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Daimin VonRavenstone
Silversan
Daimin VonRavenstone
Silversan

Thank you for posting.

I agree with the points that you have made. Each self harmer is difference, and they have difference needs. This fact does not stop at recovery. "What may work for one, might not work for another..." That's true. Therapy might work for one self harmer, but the other self harmer might find comfort in journaling their emotions instead as a way to recover. People need to find out what's best for them, and if it works, it works.

People who claim that Depression is not a mental disorder or that it does not exist probably do not know much about it. While there are emotional symptoms, there are also physical symptoms associated with Depression and other mental disorders. I would consider change in sleeping habits to aches and pains as a physical symptom. I'm sure most of us have seen that commercial advertising that one medication that treats the physical AND emotional symptoms of Depression. There's truth to that.

I agree---people who go through mental disorders and traumatic events are strong. They have courage.

Now, if someone is cutting themselves for attention they still have an issue. They still need some form of help. I also don't like how people assume that just because someone self harms that they might be an emo. Emo is just another stereotypes, and stereotypes are usually exaggerated. While they have some basis, that basis has been stretched and torn apart a long time ago. Most people do not fit into stereotypes 100% if at all.

I wish the best for you. Good luck.

You're welcome.

I've known a lot of people in various situations so I see it all the time that what works for me, might not work for someone else.

Saddly, a lot of people who don't personally know someone with depression or who haven't been through it themselves just blow it off to being 'sad'. I was in a discussion with someone one night where he said he knew the difference then in the next paragraph said I was 'better than that and could get over it'. Yeah, okay....lol.

True, they would still have an issue and need help. Just not the kind of help they think they need. Ah I hate that whole emo stereotype. The only reason I mentioned it is because I really don't know what else to call those kids. And true, no one really fits into one stereotype anymore, that's why you have things like punk rocker and goth-a-billy or what not. Everyone should just drop the stupid stereotypes and be themselves. Cold day in hell before that happens though...lol.

Thank you. smile

It is nice to here something say that. A lot of people believe that therapy is the only way someone can stop harming themselves and recover. The same goes for the "just talk to someone" method that people state all the time. I know they mean well, but I think therapy is slightly whored out to a point.

I understand. Emos are stereotypes as the ones who sit in the corner and cut themselves because life is so hard, so bleak, so they bleed black and write morbid poetry. I wish people would realize that stereotypes are fun to imagine, but they are not realistic. People need to be themselves instead of trying to fit into a certain style or group. I saw a lot of my classmates doing that in middle and high school. I had friends leave me simply because I was deemed an outcast or loser by the so-called 'popular kids.'

Stereotypes are probably going to be around until...this world ends.

For the record, I'm guilty of using stereotypes do. I just try not to do it as much. I am well aware that people don't fit them.

When people are misinformed or ignorant about a topic, I will give them links, information, and try to talk to them. If they do not listen, there is not much I can really do.

Ah yes. Whored out is just the right word. So is medication to a point to. I mean, don't get me wrong, I probably wouldn't last a week without my meds but sometimes doctors just throw stuff at people that a diet change can fix just as easily.

*snickers* yeah, those people. I thought it was sad poetry though about their bleak worlds? lol. A lot of people realize it once they get the nice cold dose of the real world. Sometimes they still don't, but most do. Those people aren't true friends then and you were probably better off without them. A lot of 'friends' left my 'group' because the band I was in stopped playing. Ah groupies...lol

And true. We'll have them till we all merge into one kind of person...kind of like that episode of South Park with the people from the future...

Oh me too. I always think it in my head but try not to say it or let that get in the way of talking to them.

I never really have links that handy so yeah. I mean yeah, I have a few bookmarks and what not but by the time I got the internet, I was basically getting over my issues and I knew what they were and what not. I mean yeah, i still looked some things up but never bothered with bookmarking it.

@ the Nietzsche subject: I have a few books on a lot of philosophers I just haven't had the time to read them. Some can also be found in Chapters, you just have to weed through the religion section. What got me into philosophy was the book "Sophie's World", great general overview.

@ Questa Notte: That sounds really rough, and being happy now is what counts. Never tried the ice/salt thing. Sounds nasty though...

@ the rant thing a bit back (I just rememberd it...lol): Eh, everyone has varying opinons on size of rants. But most do have some bit of strong emotion attached to it. I usually don't go off on a tangent and it's rare I'll get annoyed on here (not that I was when I wrote my OP)...I lost where I was going with this...lol.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now. If I try to stay up any more, I'll be up the rest of the night and won't sleep a wink. I have subscribed though so I might be around tomorrow night or what not.

Therapy and medication are presented as this magical cure for everyone who has issues. It is nice to think that it works for everyone, but that's not realistic at all. Everyone has their own way of coping and their own way of recovering. I can't say this enough.

Friends came and went for me in middle and high school. I was not cool enough for them or they completely ignored me. It was not like I was mean or anything. I was quiet and shy until you got to know me. It's just that they saw someone better in their opinion and ditched me. I love it when they do that and then act like I'm their best friend a few months later. Uh...no. You totally screwed me over, stopped talking to me, and now we are all buddy-buddy?

I would rather have friends who like me for me than friends who are only friends with me for one or two reasons.

Emos write poetry and cut themselves in dark corners. Don't forget the fact they wear band t-shirts and tight jeans they stole from their young sister. xD

I have yet to see that episode.

As for links, I keep a few bookmarked myself. I love abnormal psychology. I have loved it since middle school. My interest did come out of the fact I was depressed and have various issues.

questa notte
GoddessDivine

I know exactly what you mean. My scars are an affirmation of things that I've worked through and managed to survive. I'm so glad that's a realization that you've come to.

Ugh, some doctors can be so thick. I have to honestly draw word pictures for mine sometimes. I'm so glad that you're recovering so well though. That sounds very scary.

No need for apologies. questa notte is just a phrase in italian, and it makes me lol when people call me by such, or break it apart, and the meaning is a little different, then. :]

It's one of the best realizations I've come to. And with that, I've helped my best friend when she did her self-harm thing.

My neurologist is a stupid ********, honestly. He doesn't really listen to my concerns. He gets so into EVERYTHING HAS TO BE CAUSED BY THIS, SO I WON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING ELSE.
Oh, I see. I recognized the language, but not the phrase.

Congratulations, I'm sure she really appreciated having you there for her.

I know. I knoooow. I go to one for chronic migraines and all he does is make assumptions about me. I wanna slap him half the time.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
questa notte
GoddessDivine

Sounds like you need a new doctor. *frown*
Silversan

There's a lot I don't know about myself, parts of my childhood up until middle school that are completely missing from me. It is one of the reasons why I am hesitant to talk about my past besides a few stories every know and then. I also have a problem sitting down, and writing something without getting distracted. It's something I need to work on sooner or later.

True. I daydream still, but not as much as I did in middle and high school. I don't even know how I passed my last two years of high school and get honor roll at the same time. I was not paying attention, I was distracted by my problems and dreams.

I would still consider that bullying. Abuse is not a good thing to go through. I would not even wish it even on my worst enemies as cliche as that sounds. But it is true.

I'm not so worried about the past anymore. Unless someone from back then confronts me, which I've made myself very hard to recognize, I won't be bothered to try to think about it. I'm looking towards tomorrow, not yesterday.

I like to daydream possibilities in my spare time, I like to imagine how the future could be. I'm still in high school, and looking forward to college, and even though it's probably a little early, thinking hard on where I'm going to apply, and debating my major between two options.

Abuse is pretty bad s**t, and it's a lot more common than I would like. :/

@summer, no need to thank me. And it's not bravery, it makes for good conversation. :'D

questa notte

@summer, no need to thank me. And it's not bravery, it makes for good conversation. :'D
Another reason why we like to ask for histories, they fill up the pages! :p

Hm, figured we'd have more confrontation by this point...

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Guys, I'm so touched. I just had someone write me who saw the thread, and asked me how I stopped, because it's hard for them.

That touches me, so much... *teary*

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
questa notte
GoddessDivine

I have had two experiences with idiotic doctors.

The first being my former psychiatrist. After telling him I had just got back from Disney World he started lecturing me on how I spend too much time lounging around watching television. He actually said that a lot. When he asked me if I was suicidal, I said no. He turned to my mother and said he hoped she didn't have a gun in her house. o__o He also procrastinated for a year or so sending my records over to my therapist. Apparently it's well-known he doesn't like therapists.

The other being the doctor who said my leg problem was caused by weight gain---I did gain ten pounds. I lost those ten pounds and a bit more and my pain got worse actually. They didn't really do anything besides tell me "It's stress" and send me to get an x-ray. Minor annoyance, not really an idiot doctor...I guess.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff