Original Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250
Hello. I'm up, I'm up. So the thread is active now... =D

Already had a visitor?

Heroin with Sic Boy
Kids cut because it delivers a mild opiate high and that s**t's addictive. Of course, you could get the same feeling from a good workout, but ******** that, right? confused

Delicious sarcasm. =p

It's not like anyone is saying 'f that' to the exercise. There could also be various circumstances, i.e. controlling parents who won't allow you to leave the house to deal with things another way.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Silversan
summer1412
Silversan
GoddessDivine
Heroin with Sic Boy
Kids cut because it delivers a mild opiate high and that s**t's addictive. Of course, you could get the same feeling from a good workout, but ******** that, right? confused
For me to get the same rush from exercising as from self-harm I would need to work out for about 3 hours each day. Those aren't hours that I have to spend on running and cardio. Also, as Summer stated, we'd really like a bit of a lengthier explanation of your thoughts on the issue.

I also want to add that self harm gives people more of an instant relief, while it might take awhile for someone to get high off of exercising.

Agreed.

And about the TWLOHA thing, I think it's a good idea gone about in the wrong way, you know?

I have a few issues with the organization such as how they label people as broken, which is a pet peeve of mine. I am not broken because I have Depression, was addicted to pills, self harmed, and attempted suicide. I am not a puzzle piece that can be put back together. I am a human being and I am whole despite all my issues. If they were trying to be creative or reach out to people, they sort of failed with that comment.

It's an organization with the right message, but it's popular to the point where people will buy the merchandise because it's cool. I have seen people wear TWLOHA shirts, and then tell me they had no clue about the organization and that they bought it because they liked it. Apparently there's stories on the internet about people wearing TWLOHA shirts while making fun of people who have issues such as Depression and addiction. Sort of like a hypocrite, but not.

Plus, the organization was started to raise money to pay for a young adult's treatment and it grew from there.

I agree wholeheartedly on your issues with them. I'm not broken. I'm rather intact, and complete.

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
summer1412
Silversan
summer1412
Silversan
GoddessDivine
Heroin with Sic Boy
For me to get the same rush from exercising as from self-harm I would need to work out for about 3 hours each day. Those aren't hours that I have to spend on running and cardio. Also, as Summer stated, we'd really like a bit of a lengthier explanation of your thoughts on the issue.

I also want to add that self harm gives people more of an instant relief, while it might take awhile for someone to get high off of exercising.

Agreed.

And about the TWLOHA thing, I think it's a good idea gone about in the wrong way, you know?

I have a few issues with the organization such as how they label people as broken, which is a pet peeve of mine. I am not broken because I have Depression, was addicted to pills, self harmed, and attempted suicide. I am not a puzzle piece that can be put back together. I am a human being and I am whole despite all my issues. If they were trying to be creative or reach out to people, they sort of failed with that comment.

It's an organization with the right message, but it's popular to the point where people will buy the merchandise because it's cool. I have seen people wear TWLOHA shirts, and then tell me they had no clue about the organization and that they bought it because they liked it. Apparently there's stories on the internet about people wearing TWLOHA shirts while making fun of people who have issues such as Depression and addiction. Sort of like a hypocrite, but not.

Plus, the organization was started to raise money to pay for a young adult's treatment and it grew from there.

I agree wholeheartedly on your issues with them. I'm not broken. I'm rather intact, and complete.

There's other issues, but I am trying not to start any major drama with people who do support the organization. It has done good things. It has helped people realize that they are not the only one suffering and that there's hope for them to get better. It is just that there's also downsides that people ignore.

I know that self harm realizes endorphins, known as the body's natural pain killer. What other chemicals are released as well? I read a book briefly at Borders that mentioned another chemical but I can't remember it at this point of time.

Dangerous Reveler

7,050 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
Well this thread looks like a circle jerk of regulars.
I used to self-harm, got over it about two years ago though so it's all good.

I did it because of a lot of reasons really. I was manic depressed and scitozphrenic (and I can't spell but I don't really give a crud about that...lol). I still am considered chronic depressive and am a remissive (I think that's what it's called) scitozphrenic but I'm medicated now. Up till about two years ago I didn't take my meds for various reasons.

I cut, mainly on my forearms. I tried inner thighs once or twice but didn't get the same 'relief' or 'high' that I got from taking a sharp object to my forearms. I have a ton of scars on both arms that are slowly fading and that I keep covered with either long sleeves or those funky arm sleeve things.

When I was 17, going on 18, I tried to kill myself because I just couldn't handle the voices, weird a** visions and in general life anymore. My sister found me and because of her, my (now) fiancee and a few other close friends and family, I haven't cut in two years.

My thoughts on it? Well, for some people, yes it is for attention. There are people crazy enough out there who cut just because they want someone to notice them (poser emos are one group that come to mind. yes POSERS. Actual emos are few and fair between, if such a group actually exists).

yes, some people self-harm because of depression. In my case and in the case of a few of the people I talked to before or after my weekly therapy sessions.

Slef-harm isn't just cutting either. It can be a variety of things. There's actually quite a few mental diseases associated with self harm.

Telling anyone who seriously self-harms that they can just get over it is stupid in my opinon. No one can just 'get over' a mental disease. Usually self-harming is due to some kind of mis-firing or whacky chemical in the brain and can't be treated by just telling the self-harmer to suck it up and get over it. I know from experience.

All self-harmers are different. What may work for one, might not work for another so it's always best to give the most advice for different folks that you can and try to get to the route of WHY they are self-harming. That usually can only be done by a professional or someone who's been in that kind of position before.

Nothing annoys me more than people saying that depression is just an excuse for people or that it isn't a real mental disorder. I know a lot of people on and off line that make fun of self-harmers because they think the self-harmer is some kind of coward or idiot or mix of both. Self-harmers and anyone who managed to live through it and get passed that stage of their lives are some of the strongest people I know. Nothing can take them down, once they get past it.

I will admit, the entire situation I had could have been solved via communication with people I trusted. I always advocate communication no matter what the problem, self harm or relationship or whatever. Talking to someone about whatever is always the best way to help get through (and over) the situation.

.../rant.

Eloquent Conversationalist

Silversan
summer1412
Silversan
summer1412
Silversan

Agreed.

There's other issues, but I am trying not to start any major drama with people who do support the organization. It has done good things. It has helped people realize that they are not the only one suffering and that there's hope for them to get better. It is just that there's also downsides that people ignore.

I know that self harm realizes endorphins, known as the body's natural pain killer. What other chemicals are released as well? I read a book briefly at Borders that mentioned another chemical but I can't remember it at this point of time.
That sounds like a good idea. We might get supporters who support TWLOHA, and we don't wanna piss them off. I'm in no way broken though, so I agree with you both.

Could it be dopamine??

turbid blue
And you've problem with this thread/us ... because?

Original Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250
Silversan
summer1412
Silversan
summer1412
Silversan

Agreed.

There are always downsides to things obviously but the point here is that the downsides are being ignored. That tends to be a major issue with a lot of things in the world at large anyways. So we're kinda' trying to say, "Take a good look at both sides here everyone."

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
turbid blue

Thanks for your contribution, very helpful.

Daimin, thank you so much for your insightful post. You said pretty much everything that I think. I am extremely proud of you for having the bravery to post your thoughts and experiences. You seem such a strong individual, and I very much enjoyed being able to read your points. It was in no way a rant, and I consider this thread all the more rich for your presence.

Original Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250
Thank you for posting Daimin, I'm glad you came and stopped in. ^_^

Hopefully we see you back time and again? I'm glad to hear you are in what seems to be a pretty progressed recovery. You seem to be doing fairly well. smile

I also agree with your post across the board. I especially like the end bit where you mention communication.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Daimin VonRavenstone

I did it because of a lot of reasons really. I was manic depressed and scitozphrenic (and I can't spell but I don't really give a crud about that...lol). I still am considered chronic depressive and am a remissive (I think that's what it's called) scitozphrenic but I'm medicated now. Up till about two years ago I didn't take my meds for various reasons.

I cut, mainly on my forearms. I tried inner thighs once or twice but didn't get the same 'relief' or 'high' that I got from taking a sharp object to my forearms. I have a ton of scars on both arms that are slowly fading and that I keep covered with either long sleeves or those funky arm sleeve things.

When I was 17, going on 18, I tried to kill myself because I just couldn't handle the voices, weird a** visions and in general life anymore. My sister found me and because of her, my (now) fiancee and a few other close friends and family, I haven't cut in two years.

My thoughts on it? Well, for some people, yes it is for attention. There are people crazy enough out there who cut just because they want someone to notice them (poser emos are one group that come to mind. yes POSERS. Actual emos are few and fair between, if such a group actually exists).

yes, some people self-harm because of depression. In my case and in the case of a few of the people I talked to before or after my weekly therapy sessions.

Slef-harm isn't just cutting either. It can be a variety of things. There's actually quite a few mental diseases associated with self harm.

Telling anyone who seriously self-harms that they can just get over it is stupid in my opinon. No one can just 'get over' a mental disease. Usually self-harming is due to some kind of mis-firing or whacky chemical in the brain and can't be treated by just telling the self-harmer to suck it up and get over it. I know from experience.

All self-harmers are different. What may work for one, might not work for another so it's always best to give the most advice for different folks that you can and try to get to the route of WHY they are self-harming. That usually can only be done by a professional or someone who's been in that kind of position before.

Nothing annoys me more than people saying that depression is just an excuse for people or that it isn't a real mental disorder. I know a lot of people on and off line that make fun of self-harmers because they think the self-harmer is some kind of coward or idiot or mix of both. Self-harmers and anyone who managed to live through it and get passed that stage of their lives are some of the strongest people I know. Nothing can take them down, once they get past it.

I will admit, the entire situation I had could have been solved via communication with people I trusted. I always advocate communication no matter what the problem, self harm or relationship or whatever. Talking to someone about whatever is always the best way to help get through (and over) the situation.

.../rant.

Thank you so much for sharing, and expressing how you feel so eloquently about such a touchy subject. Your presence is very welcome here.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
WindWolf94
hi guys! trolls already? rolleyes

Eh, not trolls, just people who don't quite understand what we're doing. That's alright though.

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Daimin VonRavenstone

.../rant.

Thank you for posting.

I agree with the points that you have made. Each self harmer is difference, and they have difference needs. This fact does not stop at recovery. "What may work for one, might not work for another..." That's true. Therapy might work for one self harmer, but the other self harmer might find comfort in journaling their emotions instead as a way to recover. People need to find out what's best for them, and if it works, it works.

People who claim that Depression is not a mental disorder or that it does not exist probably do not know much about it. While there are emotional symptoms, there are also physical symptoms associated with Depression and other mental disorders. I would consider change in sleeping habits to aches and pains as a physical symptom. I'm sure most of us have seen that commercial advertising that one medication that treats the physical AND emotional symptoms of Depression. There's truth to that.

I agree---people who go through mental disorders and traumatic events are strong. They have courage.

Now, if someone is cutting themselves for attention they still have an issue. They still need some form of help. I also don't like how people assume that just because someone self harms that they might be an emo. Emo is just another stereotypes, and stereotypes are usually exaggerated. While they have some basis, that basis has been stretched and torn apart a long time ago. Most people do not fit into stereotypes 100% if at all.

I wish the best for you. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces