No 0.17908359566282 17.9% [ 512 ]
Total Votes:[ 2859 ]

Hot-Scotsman's Queen

Wealthy Lover

10,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Super Converter 100
hello people... interesting forum... i didnt know this was here..

nice to know theres other people like me about

though i guess you lot are all much younger than me.. but i guess thats ok, cos i was your age once, and i was still doing it back then, so... i guess we still got lots in common. hopefully share stories, life, etc
how is everyone? my name is nikki anyway

Hot-Scotsman's Queen

Wealthy Lover

10,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Super Converter 100
oh and well done guys coming out and creating a forum its a brave thing to do, on serious topics like this.

Ruthless Autobiographer

9,225 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Well, here I am. My skin is healed, and I thought it would be forever, but no. New nailmarks on my arm.

I finally have time to write, but I'm wasting it on the internet. ********.

I feel miserable. My life is being wrenched out of my grasp and controlled and edited by the people I trust and love... or it at least feels that way, because no one would actually do that to me, right?

I know I have skewed views about what's happening again. That doesn't help my mood.

I need a hug. emo

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150

This made me smile, thought I'd share. I love you guys. heart
Song of the Century
Kage_no_Taren
Yeah, lacking shared feelings is a thing. In the diagnostic criteria they call it "lack of emotional reciprocity". And I have had similar experiences, with doing or saying the wrong thing because I thought it was what I was supposed to do. This got harder still when I started dating someone who, due to her own mental health stuff, was incapable of believing that I wasn't trying to hurt her...it didn't end well.

It's fun stuff.

I was upset at a friend for being really, really bitchy, and she was suicidal and decided she hated me, and it was unreasonably tempting to say some things to her that would have pushed her over the edge. I didn't, though.

Quote:
Seems a little harsh for your mom to "not let you forget about" yelling at her one time.

One time, when I was eight or so, I tried catching a lizard in Florida. It was tiny and I missed, so I accidentally squished it. She won't let me forget that either and she jokes about it, which is just cruel.

Quote:
I did the wrong words. I didn't mean that you explicate your points well (although you do), I meant that you are intelligent and seem to think rationally, and that I enjoy talking to you. In the circles I run in, "I like you" is more often than not used to convey romantic interest, and since that wasn't my intention I went with something more specific and that didn't have those connotations because I am more concerned than is probably necessary about accidentally indicating sexual or romantic interest in situations where I don't actually feel such interest. That was a very long sentence.

I see.

Lots of my thoughts seem rational to me but irrational to others, it's frustrating.

Is it possible your friend is borderline?

You're right, that is cruel, and those little lizards are impossible...I don't know that I ever crushed one but I definitely injured a few of them.

That may be a sign that you're ahead of the curve, or that you just give priority to different data points.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Okay, so I have to admit, and this is just a little bit of a pet peeve... Please pardon me...

But why does everybody have to be "diagnosed" as something? It seems like with pretty much everybody if you harm yourself you're either "depressed" or "bi-polar" or "borderline" or...whatever. I don't understand it and it literally annoys the living hell out of me. Yes, these conditions exist and are serious if not understood and treated properly (PER-INDIVIDUAL, no less, treatments don't work the same for everybody). But just because someone exhibits one symptom of a disorder doesn't mean that they have to be diagnosed. It's ******** annoying.

I've even seen the term "Aspergers" thrown out there, and as someone who lives with an Autistic individual, that one pisses me off the most. Though they are not one and the same, they are closely linked and I know quite a bit about both. It bothers me that just because someone is socially awkward or doesn't have the ability to "feel" as much as someone else, they're diagnosed as Aspergers. Just like it bothers me that if a child isn't vocal at a certain age, they're automatically lumped in with the ASD crowd rather than possibly verbally delayed or learning disabled.

What people don't seem to understand is that a formal diagnosis leaves no room for error and it is extremely hard to change your diagnosis once it's formalized.
I'm currently dealing with an issue that is close to the thread in a lot of ways and not quite in others. There was a girl I was having a hard time with here (I mean "here" as in Gaia) who passed away recently of an accidental overdose. She mixed antidepressants and alcohol together at a party, unthinking of her actions, and died. The CORONER, in his infinite wisdom, is declaring it a suicide. Because she had a "diagnosed, treated history if depression, it was the most likely cause of death." When clearly, based on physical evidence and witnesses, on TOP of her parents' statement, that is not the case. But because she was formally diagnosed, they're treating her death with a negative bias, claiming she was "obviously suicidal". She wasn't. I know. I'd talked with her. In fact her parents have asked me to allow them to use our letters as evidence to try and change her COD. Insurance doesn't cover suicides and her parents don't want to have that as her permanent cause of death. Gods rest her soul, poor thing...

This current issue isn't making me wary of diagnosing a serious issue, but everybody seems to see people as a puzzle that needs to be solved or some sort of riddle and we aren't. People have quirks. People have things that make them UNIQUE. While yes, sometimes the issues are better off treated, sometimes certain quirks aren't so bad.

Just because you are socially awkward or even inept, doesn't mean you are within the ASD family.
Just because you have mood swings doesn't make you bi-polar, or borderline. Hello, there are things called HORMONES. They don't settle down till about 25 years of age. We've all got 'em.

It just ******** irritates me. People aren't meant to be lumped into categories and viewed as problems to be solved. It really, really ******** irritates me. The people who really and genuinely need to be helped, should be. The people who need to gain the will to help themselves should be helped to build themselves up. But not this, "You have this, take this, go to this sort of therapy, it'll cure you" sort of mentality that everybody seems to have. It's...bordering on insanity, in and of itself.
In fact, I think the people that see people as nothing but big ******** puzzles to figure out need to be treated for THEIR dissociative behavior.

</rant>

Dapper Dabbler

Kage_no_Taren
Is it possible your friend is borderline?

I don't think so. She may be dependent, though... she feels like her boyfriend raped her, so she hated him, then loved him, and wavers between those two constantly. Or she's a drama queen.

summer1412
It just ******** irritates me. People aren't meant to be lumped into categories and viewed as problems to be solved. It really, really ******** irritates me. The people who really and genuinely need to be helped, should be. The people who need to gain the will to help themselves should be helped to build themselves up. But not this, "You have this, take this, go to this sort of therapy, it'll cure you" sort of mentality that everybody seems to have. It's...bordering on insanity, in and of itself.
In fact, I think the people that see people as nothing but big ******** puzzles to figure out need to be treated for THEIR dissociative behavior.

I think some disorders are overdiagnosed or misdiagnosed, yeah. Therapy is a good way to help, though, disorders or not.

Hot-Scotsman's Queen

Wealthy Lover

10,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Super Converter 100
iiamaya-chan
g0th_chick_uk
hello people... interesting forum... i didnt know this was here..

nice to know theres other people like me about

though i guess you lot are all much younger than me.. but i guess thats ok, cos i was your age once, and i was still doing it back then, so... i guess we still got lots in common. hopefully share stories, life, etc
how is everyone? my name is nikki anyway

Hello Nikki, I guess you have self harmed too. I'm 14 and I have gotten worse with the cutting. Im not sure how to stop. Can you help?

hello, nice to meet you. yea i been cutting since i was 15 and im 27 now. dont get too down about it. its you expressing how you feel. if you feel its a way of venting, think of something you could maybe replace it with? something that gets your pulse racing maybe, like going for a run or a cycle, or having a good dance to something. then your too worn out to cut. plus exercise releases feel good hormones.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Song of the Century

I think some disorders are overdiagnosed or misdiagnosed, yeah. Therapy is a good way to help, though, disorders or not.

Therapy is helpful in some cases, not in all. It depends on the individual. Not just for harming, but for all of my trauma in general, therapy would have done nothing. I can say this with certainty.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
This brought me to tears. I wanted to share.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
summer1412
Okay, so I have to admit, and this is just a little bit of a pet peeve... Please pardon me...

But why does everybody have to be "diagnosed" as something? It seems like with pretty much everybody if you harm yourself you're either "depressed" or "bi-polar" or "borderline" or...whatever. I don't understand it and it literally annoys the living hell out of me. Yes, these conditions exist and are serious if not understood and treated properly (PER-INDIVIDUAL, no less, treatments don't work the same for everybody). But just because someone exhibits one symptom of a disorder doesn't mean that they have to be diagnosed. It's ******** annoying.

Diagnoses run through fads, and because a lot of the diagnostic criteria are subjective or based on self-report data, it's really really easy for a psychiatrist to assume a diagnosis that's not there.

Psychiatry also gets perks from the pharmaceutical industry, so they have an incentive to diagnose & put people on psychodrugs. When the pharmacy companies develop a new drug, suddenly psychiatrists start diagnosing in a way that allows them to treat people with that drug. See: Anatomy of an Epidemic.

With that said, when I was taking psychology courses I was taught that, because teenagers are s**t at emotional regulation and they're all whacked out with hormones anyways, you're not supposed to diagnose them until they're out of their teens and still exhibiting those issues. (I was also taught that, under severe enough stress, a mentally healthy person can start exhibiting symptoms -- manic episodes/psychosis/hallucinations/whatever -- which then go away when the stress is resolved. Distress tolerance varies from person to person, but if you overload someone, they WILL go a bit crazy.)

I was *also* taught that pretty much all mental illness is on a spectrum, and it's possible to have "depressive symptoms" or "anxious tendencies" without actually being diagnosably anxious.

So: this understanding is out there; it's just not mainstream.

Quote:

I've even seen the term "Aspergers" thrown out there, and as someone who lives with an Autistic individual, that one pisses me off the most. Though they are not one and the same, they are closely linked and I know quite a bit about both. It bothers me that just because someone is socially awkward or doesn't have the ability to "feel" as much as someone else, they're diagnosed as Aspergers. Just like it bothers me that if a child isn't vocal at a certain age, they're automatically lumped in with the ASD crowd rather than possibly verbally delayed or learning disabled.

In real life, most of the people I know who've been diagnosed as Asperger's .... are really, really obviously Aspie. There's a noticeable difference between socially awkward and "completely unable to pick up on social cues".

I feel like most of the "omg, you're not REALLY ASD" stuff comes from people on the internet talking to other people on the internet, and a lot of it is because the internet kind of functions without social niceties anyways, so their claimed dysfunction is less evident. (The internet also functions with nonverbal cue workarounds, which both aspies and NTs use.)

Quote:

Again going back to my college psych classes -- the professor differentiated between quirk and problem. Quirk is an oddity; problem is a quirk that causes you/other people distress and makes you less able to function.

In my experience, if you're getting diagnosed, it's because you have a quirk that's impeding your ability to function somehow. If you're able to manage/disguise/explain away that quirk, everyone goes along with it. My sister has Asperger's, but she didn't get diagnosed until she was 18, because 1) she is extremely smart and talented, and generally did well in school, and 2) no one in my family is particularly social -- we're all introverts. It didn't particularly matter to my parents that she didn't have a boyfriend or only had a few friends. But certain issues escalated to the point where everyone was like "ho s**t, ok, that's NOT just a little introverted" and she got diagnosed.

Similarly: I was anxious, suicidal, and self-injurious through most of high school and college. During college, there was at least one occasion where I hurt myself pretty dramatically and then went to the RA and was like "hey, I just tried to kill myself, can I have some gauze and bandage tape? Also possibly a therapist?" But because I was good at communicating and negotiating with adults (and presenting my issues as "something mostly under control, except when I get stressed out" wink and I was still able to get good grades in school/take care of myself/form social relationships, I never had to go to therapy for more than 3 sessions, I never got put on meds, and I never got officially diagnosed.

Just on this thread, I see lots of people who have a problem, not a "quirk", but are able to fly under the radar. If you're not able to fly under the radar, then your quirk is probably large enough to be problematic, and therefore diagnosable.

Eloquent Conversationalist

Hey lovies, just wanted to wish you all the best and throw my love out for everyone here. Sums, love you especially and I will be calling you tomorrow just to say hi so we can voicemail if you have a chance. <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff