Welcome to Gaia! ::

iianbe
enchantedsleeper
Oooh, I'd like to know about Western comics that aren't superhero-related either.

Here are some I've enjoyed:
Louis Riel
Stray Bullets
Strangers in Paradise
Why I Hate Saturn
Dork
Milk & Cheese
Storeyville
King-Cat
Blankets
Owly

And I know I need to read Asterios Polyp I know I know

Ooh I really like Blankets! I bought it this summer at a second hand bookstore.

Is strangers in Paradise the one that was made into a movie or was that Ghostworld?
My face hurts trying to stay awake.. but it's only 11:00am.

yay jetlag.
Mr McGrumpypants
I love the part where Todd McFarlane claimed to support creator's rights and then tried to pull the rug out from underneath Gaiman by claiming ownership of his characters and not paying Gaiman for reprinting the issues he wrote. That's delicious.

My only beef with Spawn is that he ranges from "sorta interesting" to "how is anyone supposed to present a threat".

s**t really? I've had these comics longer than I've been paying attention to authors and artists. I think Gaiman wrote number seven initially.
Psycho Bunny Studio
iianbe
enchantedsleeper
Oooh, I'd like to know about Western comics that aren't superhero-related either.

Here are some I've enjoyed:
Louis Riel
Stray Bullets
Strangers in Paradise
Why I Hate Saturn
Dork
Milk & Cheese
Storeyville
King-Cat
Blankets
Owly

And I know I need to read Asterios Polyp I know I know

Ooh I really like Blankets! I bought it this summer at a second hand bookstore.

Is strangers in Paradise the one that was made into a movie or was that Ghostworld?

Ghost Word. I love that comic/movie.
Vicemage

Tellos (not sure if it's collected, but it's a decent fantasy book)

It is! Of course, RIGHT after I bought the two trades they came out with this nice hardcover edition. There's a few one-shot stories you can find lurking in comic book stores sometimes, but unfortunately that's going to be it for the Tellos material because Mike Wieringo passed away a couple years ago.

On a brighter note, I wanted to drop in a few suggestions for non-"mainstream" books that don't necessarily get the rec all the time because they aren't a part of that Big Indie Canon, but are some of my favorite books:

Castle Waiting by Linda Medley
I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly and J.M. Ken Niimura
Demo by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan
Zombies Calling or The War at Ellesmere, both by Faith Erin Hicks.
The Mourning Star by Kazimir Strzepek
I should pick up the trade, then... I wasn't sure one was out, and I have all the loose issues, but trades are much more convenient to read. I think I have all the one-shots, too, but my comics are sadly disorganized right now, and you really can't identify them from the spines even in the best situations anyway.

I'll have to check out some of the other ones on your list there, too, since I've never heard of any of them and I'm always up for something new.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
I think I'll be checking a few of those out.

Aesthetic-wise, I still like manga more. Though it's harder and harder for me to find things I'm interested in story-wise.

Has anyone ever wanted to do a comic version of their favorite book? XD I was thinking of drawing a few pages just for kicks.
Comic book version of Starship Troopers? Yes please. There's also a comic version of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? being made. I saw an issue of it in my local Newbury Comics.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
As far as I know there's not a comic version of my favorite book(although a movie deal is currently in progress).

Ever been disappointed with the comic version of one of the books you liked? I picked up a Dragonlance comic once to flip through it. Ick. x_x
I haven't read a comic book version of any books I like.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
I kind of want to pick up a few comic tie-ins. Like for the Looking Glass Wars. I think the Dresden Files has one too, though the art does nothing for me.
I've been thinking about reading Hatter M. Admittedly, there is just something I really like about Ben Templesmith's art, and I don't know what it is.

On the subject of making books into comic, Airborn by Kenneth Oppel would be a awesome comic, simply because people travel by AIRSHIP. Also, I've been tempted to draw a few scenes from Ysabeau S. Wilce's Flora Segunda books. And some of the stories from that anthology I mentioned earlier, The Treasury of Modern Fantasy. I think They Bite by Anthony Boucher and The Coming of the White Worm by Clark Ashton Smith would be fun to do, the former because it's creepy and violent, the latter because it was pretty gross at times. The Rag Thing by Donald A. Wollheim would be also fun, simply because of the narm.

You know what, I have so many books I'm almost out of shelving. I could go on all day with a list like this. D:

Parfait au Lait
It is! Of course, RIGHT after I bought the two trades they came out with this nice hardcover edition. There's a few one-shot stories you can find lurking in comic book stores sometimes, but unfortunately that's going to be it for the Tellos material because Mike Wieringo passed away a couple years ago.

On a brighter note, I wanted to drop in a few suggestions for non-"mainstream" books that don't necessarily get the rec all the time because they aren't a part of that Big Indie Canon, but are some of my favorite books:

Castle Waiting by Linda Medley
I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly and J.M. Ken Niimura
Demo by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan
Zombies Calling or The War at Ellesmere, both by Faith Erin Hicks.
The Mourning Star by Kazimir Strzepek

I've read Zombies Calling and some others of Faith Erin Hicks' works, but I haven't read The War On Ellsmere yet. I've also been meaning to read I Fight Giants. I'll have to take a look at the others.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
I like the art for Hatter M too. X3
Seriously, Hatter is one of my favorite characters from The Looking Glass Wars. He kicks a** and has a hat that doubles as a weapon. What NOT to love about him? 8D He's even got a Badass Longcoat. ILU TvTropes.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Oh, I agree. Hatter is my favorite character, hands down, in that series.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff