Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
And this is why I dislike most of the "older" Disney princesses. It was a man's interpretation of what a woman should be like.
As far as the Disney princess/girl line goes, I like Mulan, Esmerelda, and Meg the best. XP
Psycho Bunny Studio
Mink_LaLa
Huh, the message I got from The Princess and The Frog was, "If you can't get what you want yourself, marry a rich guy and have him buy it for you." That's right, that movie promotes gold-digging.

As for the way the prince looks, think of it this way: make the prince black , people will say you don't like interracial marriage, make the prince white, people will say, "Oh, what, she can't have a black prince?!" So the obvious solution? Mix random characteristics to get a guy who could literally be anything. Then there's the fact Naveen was a lazy skirt-chaser, so imagine the implications of that if he was for-sure-obviously a black guy.

TL;DR: Disney was screwed no matter what they did.

On a related note, my 5-year-old cousin has a Princess Tiana doll, and I lol'd when I realized the doll is darker than I am. 8D

Yea but gold digging is part and parcel that comes with the whole disney princess theme.

Your life may be s**t right now but keep a sunny disposition and WAIT because EVENTUALLY your "Prince" will come and save you from your life.
Actually, HE was the gold digger. His parents cut him off because he was such a brat and he was broke from the start of the film. He was looking for a rich girl to marry so he could continue to live rich before he needed a princess to break any spell.

Disney did the only smart thing to do when making this film. ******** ask black people to advise and take lessons from history. They were careful without being racist by trying too hard not to be racist.

The film was a well executed role reversal and did a damn decent job of acknowledging the dangerous ideas they implanted in just about every disney princess that little girls looked up to for generations. (Wishing on a star and waiting for a man to wisk you away). The rich girl that did that had nothing to show for her wishing. That wasn't her money. That was her dad's money.

Tiana was proactive instead a reactive and she planned and worked to make her dream happen. The prince learned value in work. (Lazy ********.) The bad guy was the 90s drug dealer. I can't even call it an archetype. This was the mentality of the streets. Short cuts and evil deeds for quick gain. He was also a lesson on living on credit. Everything was promised for later with no way to pay it bad.

And this is why the average viewer needs to be able to understand and analyze animated films. This one was socially aware and ripe with real life lessons for the children of now.

And of course, it's disney and there's a princess and a prince, so romance. She wasn't after him and he wasn't after here. He promised to pay her so she could start her restaurant. He just needed to kiss his princess to turn them back.

It's also about balance in life. All she does is work and all he does is play. They are both in turmoil. Tiana learns that you cannot just work yourself to death and you still have to enjoy life and he learns to value more than having fun and money. As they balance their lives and become better/happier people through their own discoveries, they draw closer. At the end, they fail. (This is also a disney (or any children's film) first. The heros fail the heroic ordeal, but we see that it isn't important. They are right with themselves as two people and they are right with each other. They get married without being human. (Of course, they get rewarded at the end since now she's a real princess and their wedding kiss breaks the spell.) They failed the quest, but they succeed in become well rounded people (growing up.)

I wish people would read into s**t like that. Your marriage will not work if you are not people on your own first. Marriage isn't some idea, it's a partnership that requires both people to grow up first.

I could write at least 5 different, full length thesis studies on this film and it's awareness of the social issues that children of today face (that parents fail to talk to kids about because they tend to not notice since no one talked to them). Then again, I'm also the dude that wrote a study of the evolution of Mulan's hairstyles and how the manipulation of her hair narrated the story and it's underlying messages in beat with the film. (We were only allowed to choose one element to write on.) So yeah... I'm kind of weird about this sort of thing, but Princess and the Frog was and exceptional film and proof that Disney corp ******** sucks for trying to kill Disney animation studio's traditional animation.

And wow. Stop letting me geek out. xD

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Mink_LaLa
I don't think the problem with Tangled was so much that they wanted to ONLY market it to boys, but thought boys wouldn't want to see it if it had 'princess' in the title or looked like a 'girly' movie. But if I was a parent, I'd be like, "I'm the one with the money and car; you'll watch what I ******** let you watch. >8|".

The marketing of Tangled was a bit weird to me. :< Some of the scenes in the commercials don't even happen in the movie.

Though the toy they made of Maximus the horse makes Maximus look like a transvestite, it's that girly...
Kaxen
Mink_LaLa
I don't think the problem with Tangled was so much that they wanted to ONLY market it to boys, but thought boys wouldn't want to see it if it had 'princess' in the title or looked like a 'girly' movie. But if I was a parent, I'd be like, "I'm the one with the money and car; you'll watch what I ******** let you watch. >8|".

The marketing of Tangled was a bit weird to me. :< Some of the scenes in the commercials don't even happen in the movie.

Though the toy they made of Maximus the horse makes Maximus look like a transvestite, it's that girly...
I think it's got something to do with how srs business trailers are these days. Back in the day, they used to just edit together some clips and call it a day, now trailers have their own directors, composers, and what have you. They also like to start marketing on target dates, so they aren't working from a final but of the film.

I recall the big deal it was that the Watchmen trailer HAD to premier with the midnight opening of Dark Knight. Fox was threatening to force them to push the release, but they couldn't or they would lose the millions invested in getting the trailer in when it got in.

(I still haven't seen Tangled. I need to watch it.)
Tangled is... eh. It feels too short. Granted, it's about 89 minutes long, but it just FEELS short. : And I don't know whether that's a good thing o a bad thing.

I also think I'm getting too old for Disney movies, as I was bitching to Kupocake over AIM about various things in the movie.

Or maybe it's just me proving that my handle fits me perfectly.
Well, I don't know. Are they legitimate gripes or are you just nit-picking?

On another note, I've finally found a skirt I like that ALSO fits! Now all I need is a corset top and my ensemble is complete. >x> Seriously, do you have any idea how hard it is to find clothes that fit when you're a 0 or 00? PRETTY ******** HARD.

Yes, I like those kind of clothes. Shut up. >8|

Business Conventioneer

Seijaku_Ishida
megrar
Seijaku_Ishida
Or Princess in Aladdin's case.

to be fair, aladdin had to do a whole slew of lying and wishing really hard first.
And if you go by the TV series he doesn't want to marry a princess, he's just content with being a fiancee forever.

They did marry in the 3rd Aladdin movie...

Something 40 thieves.
jillythefoo
They did marry in the 3rd Aladdin movie...

Something 40 thieves.
Aladdin and the King of Thieves

They did indeed get married at the end of that one. Plus if you watch close you see cameos from a few characters only previously seen in the series.

4,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
im making a manga called loa
[- DB -]
Psycho Bunny Studio
Yea but gold digging is part and parcel that comes with the whole disney princess theme.

Your life may be s**t right now but keep a sunny disposition and WAIT because EVENTUALLY your "Prince" will come and save you from your life.
Aurora did it best, Just sleep through the whole ordeal. None of that pretending life stinks stuff while the prince does all the work.

yea in her case she was all "HERE BE A PRINCESS" and was "LOL NO THANKS" and then kind of got shanghighed into it.
Seijaku_Ishida
megrar
Seijaku_Ishida
Or Princess in Aladdin's case.

to be fair, aladdin had to do a whole slew of lying and wishing really hard first.
And if you go by the TV series he doesn't want to marry a princess, he's just content with being a fiancee forever.

all the same perks. Zero responsibility...
Mink_LaLa
Well, I don't know. Are they legitimate gripes or are you just nit-picking?

On another note, I've finally found a skirt I like that ALSO fits! Now all I need is a corset top and my ensemble is complete. >x> Seriously, do you have any idea how hard it is to find clothes that fit when you're a 0 or 00? PRETTY ******** HARD.

Yes, I like those kind of clothes. Shut up. >8|
Part nit-picking, part legitimate gripes.

I'm sick of a lot of Disney villains being "I'm evil because I'm a selfish ********! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" and all they really do is show up to twirl their mustaches.

It also bugs me that Maximus sniffs at the ground like a bloodhound at one point.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
You know in the 3rd movie they were originally going to reveal that Mozenrath was Aladdin's brother but decided to keep the movies and tv series separate.
Wasn't that partly because they couldn't get the voice actor too?
Mr McGrumpypants

...Because horses totally act like that. >8|

If the horse isn't going to act like a horse but like a dog, why not have just made the character a dog? Did it expressly NEED to be a horse? Because they've got big-a** dogs that look like horses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff