Welcome to Gaia! ::

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3
((Fair enough.))

Realism is not the same thing as belivability though.

True, but these people already think it's perfectly believable that parents are psychic to random times of their kids life and name them after that.

That word doesn't work either. Realistic works in a comparative sense, not in a universe-fitting sense. Or would that be 'realisticy' or 'realisticish'?

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
((Fair enough.))

Realism is not the same thing as belivability though.

True, but these people already think it's perfectly believable that parents are psychic to random times of their kids life and name them after that.

That word doesn't work either. Realistic works in a comparative sense, not in a universe-fitting sense. Or would that be 'realisticy' or 'realisticish'?

Not being a s**t-for-brains covers it, I would think. They do have a strange idea of belivability but that's what the regulars are for - I mean the whole damn thread is about not being an idiot.

Ehh.... You can make up any rules you like but you need to stick to them. Is that too wordy? I think we need some WF jargon...

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3

Ehh.... You can make up any rules you like but you need to stick to them. Is that too wordy? I think we need some WF jargon...

Indeed. I don't like using 'realistic', but I don't have a better word. 'Comparatively realistic' doesn't work, nor does conceivable.

Plausible is the best, but I don't think it quite fits.

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

Indeed. I don't like using 'realistic', but I don't have a better word. 'Comparatively realistic' doesn't work, nor does conceivable.

It might not quite fit - but well, technically the pj trousers I have on don't quite fit. Still, I prefer having to be careful when I stand up/bend to not being able to get them on.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

It might not quite fit - but well, technically the pj trousers I have on don't quite fit. Still, I prefer having to be careful when I stand up/bend to not being able to get them on.

Makes sense. If you come up with something better, do tell.

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

Perhaps if we figure out why the other words don't work...

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

I'm enjoying this way too much. Then again, my alternative is to actually do some English GCSE coursework so...

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3

I'm enjoying this way too much. Then again, my alternative is to actually do some English GCSE coursework so...

The thread deserves it. It's name thread spam where someone batshit was trying to take over.

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

The thread deserves it. It's name thread spam where someone batshit was trying to take over.

You make it sound like it wasn't batshit to begin with.

Still...what do we do?

Ehh...

Distinct Conversationalist

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

Might I suggest "consistency"? At least, if I'm understanding the problem correctly.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Kita-Ysabell
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

Might I suggest "consistency"? At least, if I'm understanding the problem correctly.

One can be consistently nonsensical, so I don't think it works.

I_Write_Ivre
Kita-Ysabell
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

One can be consistently nonsensical, so I don't think it works.
(Sorry if my collapsing the quote tree has mis-attributed anything.)

Here's how TV Tropes defines the term: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Consistency?from=Main.InternalConsistency. I happen to favor it, because it's used in logic as well.

Man, I'm acting like the Champion of Formal Logic here these days, but I'm really not. It's not even something I'm all that familiar with. Guess that just speaks to the blatant failure that turns up on the WF from time to time.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Kita-Ysabell

Man, I'm acting like the Champion of Formal Logic here these days, but I'm really not. It's not even something I'm all that familiar with. Guess that just speaks to the blatant failure that turns up on the WF from time to time.

It's not much of a compliment, but you're far smarter than the person who caused the debate. Is there a term Imposed Consistency? That would explain the poster.

I_Write_Ivre
Kita-Ysabell

It's not much of a compliment, but you're far smarter than the person who caused the debate. Is there a term Imposed Consistency? That would explain the poster.
I think "Imposed Consistency" begs the question of where the consistency is being imposed from, but then I'm not entirely sure I understand what's going on here. My fault for jumping into the middle of a conversation, I guess.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Kita-Ysabell
I_Write_Ivre
Kita-Ysabell

I think "Imposed Consistency" begs the question of where the consistency is being imposed from, but then I'm not entirely sure I understand what's going on here. My fault for jumping into the middle of a conversation, I guess.

The debate stems from using 'realistic' in a sense of saying something should work within a story, usually something not too fantastical (names). It came from a poster imposing the consistency that names always mean something and the meaning is significant to both the story and the reader's understanding of the story.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff