Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Seeing as how the original author of this thread has stopped posting long ago, would it be a better idea to make a "v2" thread, so the first posts can be edited and updated? I mean, the original point of this thread was sort of a "guide" to the Writers forum so new posters can get an idea of what they should and should not post here.

Invisible Ghost

marshmallowcreampie
the hidden ghost

I just hope she realises that writing fiction isn't just free reign to write whatever and not consider consistency and fictional-world-realism.

I've met people like that. It's a pretty dumb mindset to have, really. A world might have dragons or mad scientists or magic spell books, but that's not an excuse to go against basic logic or to break the rules established in the story. When you break basic logic, the story becomes less believable and more frustrating. It's annoying when you, as the reader, can recognize how easily an obstacle can be overcome, but for some reason the character doesn't think of that easy, basic solution. When you break the rules you already establish in your story, it breaks your credibility as a narrator and writer. Why should I, the reader, care about the details of your setting and the rules you set up if you establish that you can break them at any time?
"It's fiction, I can do what I want!" seems to be a common problem the WF comes up against a lot.

@ Maltese - It's OK, it happens.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
the hidden ghost
"It's fiction, I can do what I want!" seems to be a common problem the WF comes up against a lot.

@ Maltese - It's OK, it happens.

If I or some other user decides to go with the idea of making a second version of this thread, that is definitely going on the list.
marshmallowcreampie
If I or some other user decides to go with the idea of making a second version of this thread...

This thread has existed since 2007, maybe I'm just being sentimental, but, I dunno, I think that if we all just started over, we'd lose a piece of history.

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
Maltese_Falcon91
marshmallowcreampie
If I or some other user decides to go with the idea of making a second version of this thread...

This thread has existed since 2007, maybe I'm just being sentimental, but, I dunno, I think that if we all just started over, we'd lose a piece of history.

Maybe, if the first post is just edited and updated a bit?

Dapper Dabbler

Tsuki Z
Maltese_Falcon91
marshmallowcreampie

Maybe, if the first post is just edited and updated a bit?

I'm with Maltese on this one, guys. I wasn't in the WF in 2007, but this is one of the first threads I came across here and kinda makes it feel like home.

And Marshmallow pointed out that the OP hasn't been around in ages... Maybe if we did decide to post a new thread, the first post should contain a link back to this one? That way, we don't have to lose this one and can treat the second thread just like what it is-- An extension of this one. No repetitions on the list, stuff like that.

What do you think?
I haven't been around the WF in ages. I'm glad to be back.
Pirate Gigue
And Marshmallow pointed out that the OP hasn't been around in ages... Maybe if we did decide to post a new thread, the first post should contain a link back to this one? That way, we don't have to lose this one and can treat the second thread just like what it is-- An extension of this one. No repetitions on the list, stuff like that.

What do you think?

That seems like a reasonable compromise to me. The only other alternative I can think of would be to contact a mod, and have them edit and update Aylen's original post for us.

I don't think that's a particularly viable alternative.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Pirate Gigue

I'm with Maltese on this one, guys. I wasn't in the WF in 2007, but this is one of the first threads I came across here and kinda makes it feel like home.

What do you think?
I haven't been around the WF in ages. I'm glad to be back.

Yeah, a v2 thread would just exist so there's an updated OP. This one could still be around, for discussion and tradition.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Maltese_Falcon91

That seems like a reasonable compromise to me. The only other alternative I can think of would be to contact a mod, and have them edit and update Aylen's original post for us.

I don't think that's a particularly viable alternative.

Maybe a good compromise would be that the new thread could also have a different name, to show that we aren't trying to steal the thunder from the first thread, we just want to play more with the original intent.
marshmallowcreampie
Maybe a good compromise would be that the new thread could also have a different name, to show that we aren't trying to steal the thunder from the first thread, we just want to play more with the original intent.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Though how would we go about reaching a consensus for a name?

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Maltese_Falcon91
marshmallowcreampie

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Though how would we go about reaching a consensus for a name?

Eh, maybe we all just throw out suggestions and pick something that sounds good. Best things I can come up with right now, "Things You Probably Shouldn't Post in the WF". This old thread would still hold conversations, the new one would just exist as a guide to the WF, as was the original point of this thread.
marshmallowcreampie
Eh, maybe we all just throw out suggestions and pick something that sounds good. Best things I can come up with right now, "Things You Probably Shouldn't Post in the WF". This old thread would still hold conversations, the new one would just exist as a guide to the WF, as was the original point of this thread.

Hmm, well, that might be problematic. If we didn't allow conversations in the "Things you Probably Shouldn't Post in the WF" thread, then we'd have to be constantly bumping it to make sure it stays on the main page.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Maltese_Falcon91
marshmallowcreampie

Hmm, well, that might be problematic. If we didn't allow conversations in the "Things you Probably Shouldn't Post in the WF" thread, then we'd have to be constantly bumping it to make sure it stays on the main page.

Yeah, I was kind of worrying about that. Maybe the "Things You Probably Shouldn't Post" could mostly host conversations about what to add to the OP, rather than just little things or extensions of the list items.
marshmallowcreampie
Maltese_Falcon91
marshmallowcreampie

Yeah, I was kind of worrying about that. Maybe the "Things You Probably Shouldn't Post" could mostly host conversations about what to add to the OP, rather than just little things or extensions of the list items.

Right, well, that also presents another problem. None of us can really police the thread, should some people decide to get off topic, and start talking about extensions or little things.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Maltese_Falcon91

Right, well, that also presents another problem. None of us can really police the thread, should some people decide to get off topic, and start talking about extensions or little things.

Eh, true. Maybe we can think of something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff