Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Hey, I remember seeing this about a year ago and loved it... but then I lost the link. ; _;
Thanks for posting this! *bookmarks*
Sera Michaelis
Hey, I remember seeing this about a year ago and loved it... but then I lost the link. ; _;
Thanks for posting this! *bookmarks*

My pleasure wink

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Miri-love

Thanks, added.

GASP! YOU FOUND IT! I LOVE YOU!

Every now and then I go picking through CA.org trying to find a thread that once linked that. Been two years or more since I last saw it. Thank you!
Kendaroo

GASP! YOU FOUND IT! I LOVE YOU!

Every now and then I go picking through CA.org trying to find a thread that once linked that. Been two years or more since I last saw it. Thank you!

Gizenya put it up in her dA journal 3nodding

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
A great book on studying anatomy is: Bridgman's complete guide drawing from life.

I learned figure drawing through it, not classes. If you want to be a better artist I highly recommend it.

Saint Werewolf

16,350 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Hunter 50
Very nice, I just started with anatomy, this was very helpful. I'm just drawing different body parts to get a feel, then gradually adding them together, is this a good idea, or should I try full body instead of just gradually adding more body parts? Sorry, this isn't the place to ask a question...but I wanted to ask.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
JakeHawk
A great book on studying anatomy is: Bridgman's complete guide drawing from life.

I learned figure drawing through it, not classes. If you want to be a better artist I highly recommend it.

Yeah it's a very good book, Bridgman was an excellent teacher. I actually like him a lot better than Loomis.
bumped because it needs to be at the top of the page and because of it's awesomeness.

Also, I need to say that tutorial will change my life!
lol, finally a thread I can link to so I don't have to keep explaining myself XD My life has been made a smidgen easier~ <3
I think I love you just a little bit.

And this is why I huddle over my observational sketchbook most mornings these days, and secretly torture commuters. xD

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Wonderfully written, fansub.
If more folks would see this, there will be less broken spines and people who call me a flamer because I noted that one should not draw DDs on extremely skinny girls that have rest of body as 9 year old.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Dark Cookiez
Very nice, I just started with anatomy, this was very helpful. I'm just drawing different body parts to get a feel, then gradually adding them together, is this a good idea, or should I try full body instead of just gradually adding more body parts? Sorry, this isn't the place to ask a question...but I wanted to ask.

You're going to get different answers from different people, but in my personal experience, drawing the whole human skeleton and then the muscle structure for the whole body a few times first worked best. After I did that a few times, I started studying the head and then each body part separately. Since I already more or less knew where stuff went and what the proportions were, it was easier to study and put everything together.

A lot of people just learn the way you're studying right now and it works fine for them. While there is a right way to study, meaning there are certain things you have to study in order to learn how to draw, there is no right way to go about it, really. Trying stuff out is the best way to figure out what works for you. As long as you're drawing the right things, it doesn't matter how you're going about it. 3nodding

And don't feel bad about asking questions, that's why this thread is here.
Fansub
Dark Cookiez

You're going to get different answers from different people, but in my personal experience, drawing the whole human skeleton and then the muscle structure for the whole body a few times first worked best. After I did that a few times, I started studying the head and then each body part separately. Since I already more or less knew where stuff went and what the proportions were, it was easier to study and put everything together.

A lot of people just learn the way you're studying right now and it works fine for them. While there is a right way to study, meaning there are certain things you have to study in order to learn how to draw, there is no right way to go about it, really. Trying stuff out is the best way to figure out what works for you. As long as you're drawing the right things, it doesn't matter how you're going about it. 3nodding

And don't feel bad about asking questions, that's why this thread is here.

I agree with fansub here.

I started off with individual pieces, but things weren't really connecting, so I looked at the body as a whole for a bit longer then refocused on individual parts. All the muscles and such always connect to something else, and without going into what they're connected to, their function may not always make sense, or they just kinda.. end. For example when learning the arm and how it moves about it's important to consider the shoulder which is as much a part of the back as it is a part of your arm mechanics.

As Fansub said, many do just fine going a little bit at a time, but I personally prefer a wider view before I look into details.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff