Welcome to Gaia! ::

Saint Werewolf

16,350 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Hunter 50
Fansub
Dark Cookiez
Very nice, I just started with anatomy, this was very helpful. I'm just drawing different body parts to get a feel, then gradually adding them together, is this a good idea, or should I try full body instead of just gradually adding more body parts? Sorry, this isn't the place to ask a question...but I wanted to ask.

You're going to get different answers from different people, but in my personal experience, drawing the whole human skeleton and then the muscle structure for the whole body a few times first worked best. After I did that a few times, I started studying the head and then each body part separately. Since I already more or less knew where stuff went and what the proportions were, it was easier to study and put everything together.

A lot of people just learn the way you're studying right now and it works fine for them. While there is a right way to study, meaning there are certain things you have to study in order to learn how to draw, there is no right way to go about it, really. Trying stuff out is the best way to figure out what works for you. As long as you're drawing the right things, it doesn't matter how you're going about it. 3nodding

And don't feel bad about asking questions, that's why this thread is here.

Thanks ;3 I appreciate the reply.

Beloved Explorer

15,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I wish i could draw someone from life. where would I start? No one at home will let me draw them and I take forever on realism o.e

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Yuki Minamori
I wish i could draw someone from life. where would I start? No one at home will let me draw them and I take forever on realism o.e

Why don't you try drawing quick things like this?

Beloved Explorer

15,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Human Tail
Yuki Minamori

idk.. it seems too simple for me. i try to put in every detail i can.. but i never finish. i get the face and thats it. and if i drew like that i'd go crazy and start putting the details in anyway =

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Yuki Minamori

Oh hey!

Life drawing isn't limited to people. You can draw stuff around your room, or draw your own legs and feet and so on. Teddy bears, etc. It's not just for learning anatomy, so you can draw other stuff and it'll be very helpful anyway. 3nodding

As far as drawing people goes, though, the first thing you gotta do is stop taking forever. I suggest you do some gesture drawings.

It's fun to do especially if you're outside someplace with lots of people. If you really can't do it that way, you can use photos until you learn to speed up a bit. Here's a site that will be very helpful.

The secret is to omit the details and focus on the big, important parts. It's not supposed to look like a photo! Just focus on getting the flow and proportions right. I know this is hard to do, and it will take some time for you to get the hang of it (and I apologize for the frustration you'll feel), but once you get used to it, you'll be ready to do some life drawings of people in the street and whatnot. 3nodding

Don't think of "realism" as a style, and don't think of it as hyperrealism, which is when your drawing looks real. You don't need to draw like that (it's good for you too, though!), you just need to study and understand things like light, perspective and anatomy in the real world. So don't get too caught up trying to make it look "perfect".

Really hope this helps, and I'm very glad you gave this thread a chance. Thank you for reading.

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Yuki Minamori
Human Tail
Yuki Minamori

idk.. it seems too simple for me. i try to put in every detail i can.. but i never finish. i get the face and thats it. and if i drew like that i'd go crazy and start putting the details in anyway =

I used to do that too : P
But after joining a figure drawing course where we only had 5 minutes to draw each pose I started to really enjoy doing quick sketches ^ ^

Beloved Explorer

15,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Fansub
Yuki Minamori

Oh hey!

Life drawing isn't limited to people. You can draw stuff around your room, or draw your own legs and feet and so on. Teddy bears, etc. It's not just for learning anatomy, so you can draw other stuff and it'll be very helpful anyway. 3nodding

As far as drawing people goes, though, the first thing you gotta do is stop taking forever. I suggest you do some gesture drawings.

It's fun to do especially if you're outside someplace with lots of people. If you really can't do it that way, you can use photos until you learn to speed up a bit. Here's a site that will be very helpful.

The secret is to omit the details and focus on the big, important parts. It's not supposed to look like a photo! Just focus on getting the flow and proportions right. I know this is hard to do, and it will take some time for you to get the hang of it (and I apologize for the frustration you'll feel), but once you get used to it, you'll be ready to do some life drawings of people in the street and whatnot. 3nodding

Don't think of "realism" as a style, and don't think of it as hyperrealism, which is when your drawing looks real. You don't need to draw like that (it's good for you too, though!), you just need to study and understand things like light, perspective and anatomy in the real world. So don't get too caught up trying to make it look "perfect".

Really hope this helps, and I'm very glad you gave this thread a chance. Thank you for reading.

yeah i can do proportion if i actually try.. most of the time i dont try though and i think thats the problem... ^^; thanks for the advice though. ill work on it and hopefully by the time im a senior in hs ill be a pro

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Yuki Minamori
yeah i can do proportion if i actually try.. most of the time i dont try though and i think thats the problem... ^^; thanks for the advice though. ill work on it and hopefully by the time im a senior in hs ill be a pro

For sure. You have a ton of potential and your willingness to accept feedback and study tells me you're definitely going places. Best of luck!

Aged Codger

No topic, you are not allowed to fall off the front page. Bump.
Reason #32 why you should do gesture drawings:

One day some smarty pants will tell you to draw a self portrait in 30 seconds as part of a test sometimes used to test the genius of kids.

Knock their socks off when you do an accurate depiction complete with a little bit of shading because you had 5 extra seconds left.

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
I've gotten over it over and over again

Do you happen to have the links to the Loomis books? =o

I just downloaded that one book you linked int he resources and remembered I never finished reading the Loomis stuff =O

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 9mil/240+ Mil----User Image

Darkjoa's Husband

Aekea Star

12,950 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • That One Hero 500

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

MarianasLlama

I just downloaded that one book you linked int he resources and remembered I never finished reading the Loomis stuff =O

Here you go ^ ^
http://alexhays.com/loomis/

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
Human Tail
MarianasLlama

Here you go ^ ^
http://alexhays.com/loomis/

Thankies!

Big Lover

16,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
10 min is to long and i cant finish 5 min D: gesture drawings hard
do you think i should just get computer paper 2$ for 700 pages that way i dont waste to much money..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff