Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fantastic.

Although I feel like it might be easier for people to understand the difference between bad anime and good anime if you used more similar images. Both the examples of bad anime are pencil sketches, and the examples of good anime are fully-rendered, cleaned-up digital pieces - doing this allows the viewer to make up alternative excuses for why the bad anime is not so great (ie. "it's only a sketch" or "traditional never looks as good online" ). Perhaps it would be better to show pencil sketches of both bad anime and good anime, as well as a fully-rendered digital piece of both bad anime and good anime. This can also help people realize that colouring a crappy sketch will not automatically make it good, and that no amount of polish can hide lack of foundational knowledge. It would demonstrate as well that the tools do not matter as much as the application of knowledge (which would help deflate that whole assumption that digital art will magically improve your artwork).

Prophet

8,750 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Fansub
theannacracker
Lovely explanation. I'll be sure to link this when I'm not in the mood to spend paragraphs explaining this stuff.
I do think that this well written post would translate well to a tutorial with more visual elements. That might help keep the attention of beginning artists, so they can start to fully understand the importance of drawing from observation and stylization.

To be honest with you, one of the reasons I didn't illustrate it (other than the fact that I'm just too busy right now) is because I was trying to make sure it wouldn't look like I was fishing for attention or bragging about my own work.

Manga Punk Sai
What I hate the most around here is when you tell someone they need to study life in order to have a grip on stylized anatomy they immediately assume you're telling them anime sucks and everyone should only draw life portraits ever.

Yeah, I see this a lot too. And they'll call you an "elitist" or an "art snob" or whatever. It's sad because they're just missing the point completely and they're really not willing to listen.
no matter how polite you are about, you're always an elitist or a snob or a b***h or whatever.
We all need to start being cray sweet about it. Never ever loose our cool.

I'm definitely going to link this thread when appropriate. Is it okay to quote it as well as long as I give you credit my dear?

Shameless Nerd

9,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Millie Nao
I'm definitely going to link this thread when appropriate. Is it okay to quote it as well as long as I give you credit my dear?

Absolutely. Quote whatever you feel is relevant, whenever you want.

Prophet

8,750 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Fansub
Millie Nao

Absolutely, it's meant to be helpful to all of us. Quote whatever you feel is relevant, whenever you want.
it'll be like quoting passages from a bible but more concise and about art. yea cool

Shameless Nerd

9,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
The Savage Beauty
Fantastic.

Although I feel like it might be easier for people to understand the difference between bad anime and good anime if you used more similar images. Both the examples of bad anime are pencil sketches, and the examples of good anime are fully-rendered, cleaned-up digital pieces - doing this allows the viewer to make up alternative excuses for why the bad anime is not so great (ie. "it's only a sketch" or "traditional never looks as good online" ). Perhaps it would be better to show pencil sketches of both bad anime and good anime, as well as a fully-rendered digital piece of both bad anime and good anime. This can also help people realize that colouring a crappy sketch will not automatically make it good, and that no amount of polish can hide lack of foundational knowledge. It would demonstrate as well that the tools do not matter as much as the application of knowledge (which would help deflate that whole assumption that digital art will magically improve your artwork).

This is a very good idea too, I'll look some stuff up and edit the OP. Thanks!

Original Lunatic

*clap clap clap clap!*

I think this should end up being like the "Uninspired? Don't know what to draw?" thread, where we can link to it and update the first post/add posts as needed to get the point across.

Yes, people who "need" to read it might be too lazy to. That's their loss. People who truly "want" to get better will read it, and that's good!

Fashionable Explorer

Great thread! My one concern is, did you know the people who's stuff you linked as a "bad" example? Because I'm worried that there may be a drama 'splosion further down the line, either by the artist themselves (if they still care) or someone trying to white-knight the artist, even if the artist doesn't give a crap anymore.

I'm fully willing to donate my crap drawigs from the time I was a silly 14-year-old animu fantard. I have some "digital pieces" too, oi. (Well, not like I'm amazing now but that stuff... that was really really bad. I think it would illustrate the issue nicely).

Shameless Nerd

9,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Albino Sea Monkey
*clap clap clap clap!*

I think this should end up being like the "Uninspired? Don't know what to draw?" thread, where we can link to it and update the first post/add posts as needed to get the point across.

Yes, people who "need" to read it might be too lazy to. That's their loss. People who truly "want" to get better will read it, and that's good!

Yeah that is exactly what I'm hoping for! Please everyone feel free to post here, there are lots of stuff that I haven't covered, like what the word "style" actually means, for example. And other common stuff we see in these parts.

Aged Codger

Great thread, and I think we ought to bump it regularly so it gets noticed a lot (not just link it). The only problem is you used too many of those darn WORDS and a lot of the special snowflakes that think they're art gods are too damn lazy to read that much. These are the same people who get defensive when we tell them "life drawing helps", and act as if we've said "you cannot draw anime anymore". Stupid as hell because a lot of us draw our share of silly anime or other cartoony crap, and I don't think anybody here would tell somebody to stop drawing what they enjoy. It's a forum for artists, for crying out loud. We're trying to relate and help, not bully people.

Shameless Nerd

9,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Dreaming Time-Keeper
Great thread! My one concern is, did you know the people who's stuff you linked as a "bad" example? Because I'm worried that there may be a drama 'splosion further down the line, either by the artist themselves (if they still care) or someone trying to white-knight the artist, even if the artist doesn't give a crap anymore.

I'm fully willing to donate my crap drawigs from the time I was a silly 14-year-old animu fantard. I have some "digital pieces" too, oi. (Well, not like I'm amazing now but that stuff... that was really really bad. I think it would illustrate the issue nicely).

Nope, no clue who they are. I don't care about drama/white knights since I can just put those accounts on ignore. You're welcome to donate your crappy old stuff though, I'll add it to the main post.
Though many younger ones will tl;dr, even for more experienced people, this is a great refresher.

Thanks bby ~
The Savage Beauty
Fantastic.

I agree to this. I'm actually looking around to find some "decent" but very flat manga drawing and a nice "full of volumes" professional counterpart. Though I'm not sure that would carry much weight to beginners.

Shameless Nerd

9,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
_Trock_
I agree to this. I'm actually looking around to find some "decent" but very flat manga drawing and a nice "full of volumes" professional counterpart. Though I'm not sure that would carry much weight to beginners.

Yeah the problem is that people are just going to say they're "different styles" or something. I've added a new one and moved the one that used to be at the top to the bottom, though.

If you find anything good, go ahead and post though. I can add them to the OP.
Ok so how about comparing this:

User Image

to this:

User Image
and/or
User Image

I don't think "style" will get them out of this one.

PS: going to check up on the additions.
Edit: Oh the Totoro one is really close and works well. I kind of realize my examples probably aren't "animu" enough

Shameless Nerd

9,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
_Trock_
User Image

User Image

Whose work is that?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items