Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Sex Symbol

Prodigious_girl
iMuSic_Nvr_sLeEpS
Americest OTL My friend ships that... with a passion xD They do have some things in common but they're pretty different.
I ship USCan hard, but I don't refer to it is "Americest" because I personally don't see any hard evidence that they're blood related. Just because they CALL each other brother doesn't mean they actually are [see Switzerland & Liechtenstein]. So far (as I can tell anyway) it seems that only nations that are one in the same are actually siblings (Prussia/Germany & the Italies being the most notible). There are nations that refer to each other as "brother" (England/America, Norway/Iceland) but I think it's supposed to be a mentor kind of thing.

SO yeah...I don't see Canada and America as (blood) brothers. I've always figured that England declared them brothers (see Vol. 2 of the manga or "Once Canada, Always Canada" webcomic - that has serious inaccuracy problems I'll save for another day) so that Canada would have a "buddy" he could associate with while he integrates himself into the British Empire (after being taken away from France).

XD I'm going to stop because I could rant FOREVER about how they're not actually siblings...

@Misuki: ^_^ We're happy to have you here too (even though, technically, you were here before me)! XD OMG I picked up some "old skool" history books today. I'm rather excited about them.

Ah I see o: I've always been told that they were brothers but I guess I never thought whether they were blood brothers or not sweatdrop I understand your rants though I can go on and on for forever about how Russia doesn't belong with China(I hate that pairing with a burning passion classified_fu ) and how fem! England is usually depicted without the eyebrows. I'm still working on the manga, I just started it yesterday and I'm pretty slow at reading sweatdrop

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
@ P'g: Old school history books, huh? Are they Canadian ones (well, with you, they probably are.) That would be awesome to see some primary sources! Or some old-time secondary sources that have a lot of primary information! -starry eyes-

Hetalia probably does have a lot of inaccuracies but I have said this before. It's not meant to be a documentary so I'm not gonna take it as such.

@ iMusic: There are a ton of ships that I don't understand in this fandom alone. Mainly Us x Uk (why is that so mainstream, almost..?) and Russia x China too. Do they have real-life relations, or is it because they are both Communist? I don't understand. ><

Friendly Humorist

31,700 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Professional Decorator 250
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
iMuSic_Nvr_sLeEpS
Ah I see o: I've always been told that they were brothers but I guess I never thought whether they were blood brothers or not sweatdrop I understand your rants though I can go on and on for forever about how Russia doesn't belong with China(I hate that pairing with a burning passion classified_fu ) and how fem! England is usually depicted without the eyebrows. I'm still working on the manga, I just started it yesterday and I'm pretty slow at reading sweatdrop
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of RussiaxChina either. I just don't see it happening. I also don't see JapanxChina happening either. <.<;; I don't see China with anyone to be honest (probably because they seem to encourage isolation and secrecy).

Misuki Marishima
@ P'g: Old school history books, huh? Are they Canadian ones (well, with you, they probably are.) That would be awesome to see some primary sources! Or some old-time secondary sources that have a lot of primary information! -starry eyes-

Hetalia probably does have a lot of inaccuracies but I have said this before. It's not meant to be a documentary so I'm not gonna take it as such.

@ iMusic: There are a ton of ships that I don't understand in this fandom alone. Mainly Us x Uk (why is that so mainstream, almost..?) and Russia x China too. Do they have real-life relations, or is it because they are both Communist? I don't understand. ><
XD HAHAHAHA!! Four of them ARE Canadian history (though one is a novel). The other two are a Thesaurus and a collection of European Maps from 1789-1914.

The Canadian Atlas I got was published in 1959. The Novel is 2009. The European Sketch Maps are from 1936 but I have the republished version from 1959. The other Canada book is from 1965 and the John A. MacDonald bio dates back to 1924. = D

D = The problem is that there ARE people who take it as fact (especially considering Hima publishes sources with his work). However, being an historian I sometimes get frustrated when something incorrect is published because to me it feels like he's "educating" people with false information. XD I'm actually pretty lax on most things but there are certain things that I simply can't bend on.

In terms of history I can understand UsxUk but I don't feel their personalities in the show compliment each other. That's just my opinion though...obviously a lot of people disagree. XD

Blessed Sex Symbol

Prodigious_girl
iMuSic_Nvr_sLeEpS
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of RussiaxChina either. I just don't see it happening. I also don't see JapanxChina happening either. <.<;; I don't see China with anyone to be honest (probably because they seem to encourage isolation and secrecy).

Agreed, even though they're really nice characters, some aren't meant to be in pairings.

Cute Punk

Prodigious_girl ;; After a few visits I ended up <3ing it as well. It beats the pants off of any other discussion thread about Hetalia I've seen.

Ah incest based pairings are fun. US x Canada is pretty darn cute but I love my Itacest and Germancest, it's better when you add them together though...Foursome pairs are just too nice~. =w=

Speaking of pairings what the hell is with the sudden increase of Reader x -Insert a nation here- fics I've been seeing? Isn't that just encouraging shitty OCs to pop up like wild and fueling the insane fangirl fire? Or so that's how I see it. Never read one, it totally kills the character makes for a gateway of mary sues.

Friendly Humorist

31,700 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
iMuSic_Nvr_sLeEpS
Agreed, even though they're really nice characters, some aren't meant to be in pairings.
8 D Like Sealand! ...Oh Sealand...Canada may be invisible but at least he's recognized as a country. You'll get your time in the spotlight some day.

White Flag Idiot
Prodigious_girl ;; After a few visits I ended up <3ing it as well. It beats the pants off of any other discussion thread about Hetalia I've seen.

Ah incest based pairings are fun. US x Canada is pretty darn cute but I love my Itacest and Germancest, it's better when you add them together though...Foursome pairs are just too nice~. =w=

Speaking of pairings what the hell is with the sudden increase of Reader x -Insert a nation here- fics I've been seeing? Isn't that just encouraging shitty OCs to pop up like wild and fueling the insane fangirl fire? Or so that's how I see it. Never read one, it totally kills the character makes for a gateway of mary sues.
XD I'm too scared to check out other threads. Glad I found (and got attached to) this one. Oh, and you can just call me P'g for short. It beats writing Prodigious_girl out all the time.

USCan is only incestuous if you see them as blood brothers - which I don't. So for me it's not an incest pairing. O.o;; I wonder...would you guys consider Belarus and Ukraine to be Russia's blood sisters? It's kind of hard I guess because they're with him, then they're not, then they ARE again, then they're not. I guess if they're conjoined at one point (particularily early on) then they are. ((USCan still doesn't fit the bill completely - the only territory that changed hands was the Ohio River Valley and Louisiana - oh and the Alaskan Peninsula according to us Canucks XD ...Oh and a small stretch of the Yukon...but they were never truly unified at any point))

XD Foursomes? Even threesomes are too much for me.

What kind of OC are you refering to? Nation OCs or just any OC? I DO add OCs but never in pairings...they're usually just friends or other random people. Sometimes they do play important roles though or have a story of their own.

Blessed Sex Symbol

Prodigious_girl
iMuSic_Nvr_sLeEpS
8 D Like Sealand! ...Oh Sealand...Canada may be invisible but at least he's recognized as a country. You'll get your time in the spotlight some day.

I love Sealand he's adorable ; o; DEM EYEBROWS emotion_awesome
Canada's really cute too, that curl xD He'll always be a country, I just don't like how a lot of people think of Canada as weak, he's shy but he's really strong gonk

Cute Punk

P G ;; Haha, alright. I occasionally slip into other threads either to be a troll or just go about gauging reactions for my opinions. Can do, can do~!

I sorta can see them as blood brothers since appearance wise they are quite alike, this doesn't work for Lichtenstein and Switzerland though since Switzerland found her if we're going in series canon. As for Belarus and Ukraine being blood related to Russia I just can't see them as not being related. Then again I rely a lot on series canons seeing as I only care for the actual history of characters that catch my attention.

XD I like a lot of four way pairings, it really depends on the characters involved. If it's like a one shot deal then I can ship anyone in a four way but for actual serious type of pairings I look into how long could they stand each other.

I mean like self inserts. Characters that have no historical reason for being there accept to either be wrapped up in some arranged marriage, a chance encounter or just are suddenly dating a canon because they think they're perfect. I don't mind nation OCs as long as they fit the criteria for a Hetalia nation or city, capital, whatever. In other words they don't have outrageous hair colors or styles, any weird clothing not appropriate for their area/time period and are not overdone 'moe' and don't go under the 'no one likes me, so alone!' or 'oh so perfect' genre in terms of attitude.

...I'm far too strict about OCs. XD

Friendly Humorist

31,700 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
iMuSic_Nvr_sLeEpS
Canada's really cute too, that curl xD He'll always be a country, I just don't like how a lot of people think of Canada as weak, he's shy but he's really strong gonk
XD You really seem to love thick eyebrows. Bet you love Hong Kong's too. XD Haha!

And yes, anyone who thinks Canada is weak hasn't bothered to look at Canadian military history. U.U;; But I suppose that's the world's fault for playing it down.

White Flag Idiot
I sorta can see them as blood brothers since appearance wise they are quite alike, this doesn't work for Lichtenstein and Switzerland though since Switzerland found her if we're going in series canon.
But in the original webcomics Canada and America DO look different. Canada has orange (blonde) hair while America has dirty blonde and Canada has purple/violet eyes while America has blue. I do like that the anime series changed it but only because neither of Canada's parent nations (France & England) have orange hair or purple eyes. Also, it's important to remember that a common theme in Hetalia is that Canada often gets mistaken for America because their cultures are viewed as being similar. I think the whole "Canada and America looking alike" is just a play on the stereotype that their cultures are "the same". In addition, as I pointed out before, Canada was introduced to America via England. Like Switzerland and Lichtenstein they weren't always together. Just because England decided to declare them brothers one day doesn't mean they actually are (again, it can be found in Volume Two, the "Once Canada, Always Canada" incredibly historically inaccurate comic).

White Flag Idiot
As for Belarus and Ukraine being blood related to Russia I just can't see them as not being related.
XD I think Russia having sisters is actually rather cute. I'd like to think their "siblinghood" is canon too but I won't shout it out just yet.

White Flag Idiot

Then again I rely a lot on series canons seeing as I only care for the actual history of characters that catch my attention.
So does that mean you don't look at webcomic canon? XD I usually only care about the history of the nations that are my favourites too.

White Flag Idiot

I mean like self inserts. Characters that have no historical reason for being there accept to either be wrapped up in some arranged marriage, a chance encounter or just are suddenly dating a canon because they think they're perfect. I don't mind nation OCs as long as they fit the criteria for a Hetalia nation or city, capital, whatever. In other words they don't have outrageous hair colors or styles, any weird clothing not appropriate for their area/time period and are not overdone 'moe' and don't go under the 'no one likes me, so alone!' or 'oh so perfect' genre in terms of attitude.

Hmmmm...do you mean someone adding themselves or their person character (common shaped in their image) to the story? There's one popular I've seen where the author's character is dating Alfred (I think) and there's some drama and there's some USUK and then there's some France in there somewhere and it's...I don't even know. @_@;; I didn't bother reading it, I just read the synopsis.

I don't mind if people throw in their OCs as long as they fit the flow of the story and have a purpose for being there. They'd have to be a character that actually ADDS to the story in a way that another character from the actual series can't.

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
I lurk in other threads sometimes, but usually I don't end up replying because they're so full of derp. In a bad way. Not the fun derp, but the fandom derp that makes me want to just shut up before I say something mean. XDD;

I never get that in this thread. This is like that one spot in your hometown or something that you can always hangout and you know you'll be surrounded by friends. -nod- It's nice.

As for the US and Canada being related: I see it as an adoptive relation, or even a step-brother situation. France and England raised Canada, but then America is raised by single father!Arthur. (In pairing-verse I might even interpret as Francis and Arthur getting a divorce and Arthur getting custody of Matthew. -shot-)

On OC's- Haha, I'm the same way. I don't like OC's that are there just to be a love interest, whether it's this fandom or any of my others. It's one of my pet peeves when I put love and effort into my OC's, no matter if they'll be an "extra" or a major role. I almost never write romantic OC's.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember one that was a love interest, even in my earlier fanfic days. O:

Anyway. We all love Canada here and we can all see him. That's what counts, huh? XD

Cute Punk

P G ;;

I'm aware, it's been a while since I read on the webcomic so I'm a little rusty on all the details. It's really one of those things that I'm more 'meh' over since neither are really a character of interest to me. XD

I really do think Russia, Belarus and Ukraine are canon siblings. XD It would make a lot of sense since all three do look a bit alike. Or I think they do. =w= I dunno, I'm high on coffee. XD

I do to some extent. XD I play favorites with the Italies and anymore I'm leaning to like Spain. =w=' I fear for my roleplaying, I already rp as North Italy, I can't afford anymore derpy characters! D=

Basically throwing themselves or a personal character in. It always gets me. I mean, my London only shares my love of cats, sweets and my hair color but other than that we're worlds apart.
....Ugh, I would want to strangle the writer. Dx Sounds like (Pardon the bluntness of this statement but...) a ******** of drama and sex and fanservice for attention.
Agreed, I have my standards for what I consider a good OC but even if they look wonky as long as they add something and don't cockblock or endanger my OTP then I'm a happy camper.

Blessed Sex Symbol

Prodigious_girl
iMuSic_Nvr_sLeEpS
XD You really seem to love thick eyebrows. Bet you love Hong Kong's too. XD Haha!

And yes, anyone who thinks Canada is weak hasn't bothered to look at Canadian military history. U.U;; But I suppose that's the world's fault for playing it down.

I just find those eyebrows so amusing xDD
Hubba hubba what Hong Kong has those eyebrows too?! eek
I haven't looked at Canada's military history but I figured it out by the way Canada acted in HetaOni crying

Friendly Humorist

31,700 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
Misuki Marishima
As for the US and Canada being related: I see it as an adoptive relation, or even a step-brother situation. France and England raised Canada, but then America is raised by single father!Arthur. (In pairing-verse I might even interpret as Francis and Arthur getting a divorce and Arthur getting custody of Matthew. -shot-)
Adoptive relation is certain fair. I can't deny that they DO call each other brother from time to time in both the anime series and the webcomic. <.<;; France did had a hand in America (Louisiana, Ohio River Valley, etc) but when people think of early America they think of the 13 colonies...not the areas that were part of New France.

XD HAHA Single Father!Arthur. A lot of people tend to write that Arthur had a family before ("producing" Alfred) then after divorce/death of first wife went on to have a family with Fem!Francis ("producing" Matthew).

White Flag Idiot
I'm aware, it's been a while since I read on the webcomic so I'm a little rusty on all the details. It's really one of those things that I'm more 'meh' over since neither are really a character of interest to me. XD
XD That makes sense then. I'm borderline obsessed with these two so I know nearly every detail of their relationship. Haha! (And coffee is always good, especially with vanilla cream!)

White Flag Idiot
Basically throwing themselves or a personal character in. It always gets me. I mean, my London only shares my love of cats, sweets and my hair color but other than that we're worlds apart.

Agreed, I have my standards for what I consider a good OC but even if they look wonky as long as they add something and don't cockblock or endanger my OTP then I'm a happy camper.
I think the only Nation OC that I've bothered to write about (in detail) is North Ireland. He's America's uncle in one (unpublished) fic. No love interest or anything...Andrew the non-nation OC IS a bit of a "cockblocker" but not for reasons regarding himself being in love with anyone.

iMuSic_Nvr_sLeEpS
I just find those eyebrows so amusing xDD
Hubba hubba what Hong Kong has those eyebrows too?! eek
I haven't looked at Canada's military history but I figured it out by the way Canada acted in HetaOni crying
Yes! If my memory serves me right Hong Kong used to set off fireworks to scare England so Iggy cursed him with bushy eyebrows.

;-; I wish HetaOni would finish. XD I think it was shortly after HetaOni that the joke regarding Canada being "The Doctor" (in relation to Doctor Who) came out. Luckily both HetaQuest and HetaHazard were both updated recently.

Cute Punk

P G ;; Haha, nice! (Sweet jesus I like my coffee with Irish creamer or this really good caramel/chocolate creamer I found. Other than that I drink it black.)

Haha, my OC is a failure at relationships so while I do have a pairing I personally like her with I rarely ship it. I just hate when OCs completely break apart a pairing of mine so much it changes the canon character. A lot of people do with Germany and I'm just sitting there like "...I really doubt he'd date your female OC, I really doubt he's even straight or bisexual... .___. Damn it, he's only really shown any measurable emotion of a positive light to Italy. >=/ " cause I'm damn near rage happy when you put a female between my GerIta. It's like "No, get the v****a out of the picture NOW." with me. XD I'm so hateful towards my own gender. =w=

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
White Flag Idiot
P G ;; Haha, nice! (Sweet jesus I like my coffee with Irish creamer or this really good caramel/chocolate creamer I found. Other than that I drink it black.)

Haha, my OC is a failure at relationships so while I do have a pairing I personally like her with I rarely ship it. I just hate when OCs completely break apart a pairing of mine so much it changes the canon character. A lot of people do with Germany and I'm just sitting there like "...I really doubt he'd date your female OC, I really doubt he's even straight or bisexual... .___. Damn it, he's only really shown any measurable emotion of a positive light to Italy. >=/ " cause I'm damn near rage happy when you put a female between my GerIta. It's like "No, get the v****a out of the picture NOW." with me. XD I'm so hateful towards my own gender. =w=

I don't like the hate of female characters, especially if it "gets in the way of your OTP". However, if they are obvious, contrived Mary Sues, then I can understand the rage. Self-inserts are the worst culprits. The only way a self-insert can be done right (in a Hetalia context) is if they are reflecting a time the protagonist lived through history (for example, if they are showing how the American citizenry is coping with the recession of the 2000's in a personal view). But even if this context is given, it shouldn't be used to have the self-insert OC pair up in a romantic relationship with Alfred.

I do agree with Germany to some degree. I think he's more awkward around romance in general, and Italy brought out his emotions because Italy is Ludwig's first real friend (in terms of the webcomic anyway.) He doesn't know how to handle feelings of friendship or happiness, let alone romance.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff