Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Vampire

Saffron Bunny
Hi all. Hope everyone is doing well.
I was wondering if it's okay to hang around here to get some research done for my future goth shop that I'm currently working on. Maybe I can ask you all some questions about your choice in fashion? I am very interested in this sub-culture's clothing choices, and perhaps some of you could offer your expertise. Much appreciated. 3nodding
Of course. That's what this thread is for.

It does fall off the first page pretty frequently, since it's been quiet for a long time. So you can subscribe to it so you can find it easier, or you can search for it using the Search bar near the other navigation tabs.

Subscribing is easier, though. sweatdrop
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny
I was wondering if it's okay to hang around here to get some research done for my future goth shop that I'm currently working on. Maybe I can ask you all some questions about your choice in fashion? I am very interested in this sub-culture's clothing choices, and perhaps some of you could offer your expertise. Much appreciated. 3nodding

It does fall off the first page pretty frequently, since it's been quiet for a long time. So you can subscribe to it so you can find it easier, or you can search for it using the Search bar near the other navigation tabs.

Thank you. I've gone ahead and subscribed to it, as you've suggested. 3nodding

Do you mind if I ask you some questions about your fashion preferences?

Eloquent Vampire

Saffron Bunny
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

Go for it. Again, that's what this thread is for.
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

Thank you. 3nodding I very much appreciate it.

What articles of clothing do you prefer to wear? (i.e. skirts, dresses, jeans, etc) Do you have colour or pattern preferences? Do you accessorize much?

Sorry if that's a lot to answer. sweatdrop

Eloquent Vampire

Saffron Bunny
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

What articles of clothing do you prefer to wear? (i.e. skirts, dresses, jeans, etc) Do you have colour or pattern preferences? Do you accessorize much?

I'm a jeans goth, personally. I am incredibly uncomfortable in 99% of all skirts and dresses, so I don't wear them. When I do wear a skirt or dress, it's for a special occasion, like a show, an event, etc. I MUST wear leggings underneath them, otherwise I feel exposed and so uncomfortable it ruins the event for me.

I also don't feel as though I "belong" in skirts and dresses. They don't suit my personality, my personal style, so I feel like a kid playing dress up, I feel silly in them. My boyfriend loves me in them, so for him, I'm trying to do better. I own two skirts I try to wear regularly, and one dress I LOVE, but it has a certain style associated with it, so if I don't do the whole she-bang associated with it, it seems to make it less awesome, you know?

I also have this odd stigma against skirts and dresses. Ever since I was little, I've associated skirts/dresses with special occasion. Special occasion means best girl manners. Best girl manners means uncomfortable situations, events, and conversations. I can never see them as casual.

Sorry, long answer, but it's really how I feel.

I like simple things. Solid colors, minimal patterns, preferably none at all. Dark colors look best on me. Maybe a simple graphic or pattern on the shirt, but that's about it.

I accessorize like NOBODY'S business. sweatdrop Necklaces, earrings, rings, bracelets, all of it I'm a sucker for.
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

I'm a jeans goth, personally. I am incredibly uncomfortable in 99% of all skirts and dresses, so I don't wear them. When I do wear a skirt or dress, it's for a special occasion, like a show, an event, etc. I MUST wear leggings underneath them, otherwise I feel exposed and so uncomfortable it ruins the event for me.

I also don't feel as though I "belong" in skirts and dresses. They don't suit my personality, my personal style, so I feel like a kid playing dress up, I feel silly in them. My boyfriend loves me in them, so for him, I'm trying to do better. I own two skirts I try to wear regularly, and one dress I LOVE, but it has a certain style associated with it, so if I don't do the whole she-bang associated with it, it seems to make it less awesome, you know?

I also have this odd stigma against skirts and dresses. Ever since I was little, I've associated skirts/dresses with special occasion. Special occasion means best girl manners. Best girl manners means uncomfortable situations, events, and conversations. I can never see them as casual.

Sorry, long answer, but it's really how I feel.

I like simple things. Solid colors, minimal patterns, preferably none at all. Dark colors look best on me. Maybe a simple graphic or pattern on the shirt, but that's about it.

I accessorize like NOBODY'S business. sweatdrop Necklaces, earrings, rings, bracelets, all of it I'm a sucker for.

That's understandable. Dresses and skirts aren't for everyone. 3nodding Do you have a certain preference for jean styles (i.e. skinny, flare, boot-cut, etc)?

All right, very cool. Your style seems very sophisticated. What kind of shirts do you prefer to wear? Is there a jacket/coat style you prefer?

Very nice! Do you like to have your accessories dark in colour as well?

Eloquent Vampire

Saffron Bunny

That's understandable. Dresses and skirts aren't for everyone. 3nodding Do you have a certain preference for jean styles (i.e. skinny, flare, boot-cut, etc)?

All right, very cool. Your style seems very sophisticated. What kind of shirts do you prefer to wear? Is there a jacket/coat style you prefer?

I prefer dark blue wash boot cut jeans. I'm on the hunt for true black jeans in boot cut, but they all have this horrible canvas-like feel, like Dickies brand pants. I hate that. Or they're skinny jeans, which I refuse to wear because I look so stupid in them.

I prefer tanks mostly. I have really broad shoulders, so things with sleeves make me uncomfortable, too. I DIY a lot of t-shirts as well. Take extra large uni-sex type t's and cut them up, tie them back together in neat ways. That broadens my options a LOT, and will further broaden them when I get my sewing machine. Then I can REALLY go crazy.

I can't wear most real coats or jackets, again, since my broad shoulders make it impossible to move properly or comfortably. I wear hoodies most of the time because of this. I do have this nice cropped jacket that I love, and wear all the time. It's got a straight tall collar, comes to just about my hip height/stops right at the top of my jeans, and is black. I got it for $50 at my local sex and BDSM shop back in my old neighborhood. ^_^

Most of my jewelry, like real jewelry, is silver. Either actual silver, or in rare cases, white gold. I look terrible in yellow gold, and I find it cheap looking no matter how expensive it is. A lot of my things have special stories behind them, or have special significance. My black Swarovski crystal star necklace, for example, was made for me by my aunt, and the whole thing is worth at least $1,000 because of all the antique beads she used, not just for the crystal.

Nothing else I wear is that valuable. My typical daily outfit is: jeans, Doc's, black shirt of some kind, accessories, belts, and hoodie or jacket depending on weather. Now that it's getting nice here, I don't have to wear my jacket as much. I would like to get more cardigans and such, but it's hard to find them in my style and size without them being hideous.
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

I prefer dark blue wash boot cut jeans. I'm on the hunt for true black jeans in boot cut, but they all have this horrible canvas-like feel, like Dickies brand pants. I hate that. Or they're skinny jeans, which I refuse to wear because I look so stupid in them.

I prefer tanks mostly. I have really broad shoulders, so things with sleeves make me uncomfortable, too. I DIY a lot of t-shirts as well. Take extra large uni-sex type t's and cut them up, tie them back together in neat ways. That broadens my options a LOT, and will further broaden them when I get my sewing machine. Then I can REALLY go crazy.

I can't wear most real coats or jackets, again, since my broad shoulders make it impossible to move properly or comfortably. I wear hoodies most of the time because of this. I do have this nice cropped jacket that I love, and wear all the time. It's got a straight tall collar, comes to just about my hip height/stops right at the top of my jeans, and is black. I got it for $50 at my local sex and BDSM shop back in my old neighborhood. ^_^

Most of my jewelry, like real jewelry, is silver. Either actual silver, or in rare cases, white gold. I look terrible in yellow gold, and I find it cheap looking no matter how expensive it is. A lot of my things have special stories behind them, or have special significance. My black Swarovski crystal star necklace, for example, was made for me by my aunt, and the whole thing is worth at least $1,000 because of all the antique beads she used, not just for the crystal.

Nothing else I wear is that valuable. My typical daily outfit is: jeans, Doc's, black shirt of some kind, accessories, belts, and hoodie or jacket depending on weather. Now that it's getting nice here, I don't have to wear my jacket as much. I would like to get more cardigans and such, but it's hard to find them in my style and size without them being hideous.

My apologies for not responding yesterday. Something came up, unfortunately.

That's understandable. I'm sure that you can find those jeans somewhere. Best of luck in your search!

Tanks huh? Do you wear "corsets" too? (I think this User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. is more of a fake corset because it looks like a tank, while this User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. is more of an actual corset)

That jacket sounds awesome!

That's understandable. I think silver looks better than yellow gold as well. That necklace sounds really cool!

That's an interesting style you have. 3nodding What would you personally like to see in a Gothic themed store?

Eloquent Vampire

Saffron Bunny

That's understandable. I think silver looks better than yellow gold as well. That necklace sounds really cool!

That's an interesting style you have. 3nodding What would you personally like to see in a Gothic themed store?
It's cool. That's the beauty of online, you can come back to it whenever.

I don't wear corsets casually. I have one real one, and one fashion one. I wear the fashion one even less than the real one. My real one was custom built for me, cost me $400, and I pretty much only use for costume purposes anymore. It's black with little silver skull and cross bones on it, so I've styled a pirate costume around it.

I actually don't shop most goth-themed stores, at least not in real life. Ideally, I look for anything that's not reminiscent of the Tripp brand. Personally, pretty much all of it screams "MALL GAWF!" at me. Some of their stuff isn't bad, like I've seen a lot of cool jackets by them and such, but pretty much everything else I can't stand.

What else I look for is no unnecessary lacing/corsetting. Yes, laces are pretty, but I don't like them randomly splashed on a garment, where lacing it wouldn't do any good for the garment and it would just bunch it up and make it ugly. Real corsets are fine, but the website (if an online store) needs to have full instructions on how to wear a corset, how to lace it, how to tighten it, how to store it, how to clean it, what NOT to do with a corset/common mistakes or misconceptions about corsets, etc. They need to be fully steel boned and busked, with real grommets on the back, real string/rope (ribbon is not appropriate to lace a real corset with), all that. It's important that people wear and store their corsets properly, and very few online retailers offer this information for their corsets.

If they're fashion corsets, that's fine, too, but I don't like seeing them pitched as real corsets. They need to be labeled "fashion corsets" and need to have a disclaimer that says "This is not a real corset, it just looks like one. The boning is plastic and will bulge out over time. You cannot lace it tightly, or waist train with this garment. It is purely for looks." That kinda thing. It irritates me even more when I see kids walking around in their Hot Topic finest "corset" that's bulging out in places because the plastic boning has warped out of place.
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

I don't wear corsets casually. I have one real one, and one fashion one. I wear the fashion one even less than the real one. My real one was custom built for me, cost me $400, and I pretty much only use for costume purposes anymore. It's black with little silver skull and cross bones on it, so I've styled a pirate costume around it.

I actually don't shop most goth-themed stores, at least not in real life. Ideally, I look for anything that's not reminiscent of the Tripp brand. Personally, pretty much all of it screams "MALL GAWF!" at me. Some of their stuff isn't bad, like I've seen a lot of cool jackets by them and such, but pretty much everything else I can't stand.

What else I look for is no unnecessary lacing/corsetting. Yes, laces are pretty, but I don't like them randomly splashed on a garment, where lacing it wouldn't do any good for the garment and it would just bunch it up and make it ugly. Real corsets are fine, but the website (if an online store) needs to have full instructions on how to wear a corset, how to lace it, how to tighten it, how to store it, how to clean it, what NOT to do with a corset/common mistakes or misconceptions about corsets, etc. They need to be fully steel boned and busked, with real grommets on the back, real string/rope (ribbon is not appropriate to lace a real corset with), all that. It's important that people wear and store their corsets properly, and very few online retailers offer this information for their corsets.

If they're fashion corsets, that's fine, too, but I don't like seeing them pitched as real corsets. They need to be labeled "fashion corsets" and need to have a disclaimer that says "This is not a real corset, it just looks like one. The boning is plastic and will bulge out over time. You cannot lace it tightly, or waist train with this garment. It is purely for looks." That kinda thing. It irritates me even more when I see kids walking around in their Hot Topic finest "corset" that's bulging out in places because the plastic boning has warped out of place.

True.

Ah, okay. I have noticed corsets can be a bit pricey.

I'm not a big fan of Tripp, honestly. I would rather work on making authentic Gothic clothing, rather than the mall goth style. I really think their brand of pants are the worst.

Thank you for the input on corsets. I'll add that to my notes and do some research on proper care for them. 3nodding It's much appreciated!

Understandable. I'll add that to my notes as well. Ugh, Hot Topic "corsets". emotion_puke

Thank you so much for your input! I appreciate that very much, and I will add everything you've suggested to my notes! 3nodding Thank you so much!

Eloquent Vampire

Saffron Bunny

I'm not a big fan of Tripp, honestly. I would rather work on making authentic Gothic clothing, rather than the mall goth style. I really think their brand of pants are the worst.

Thank you for the input on corsets. I'll add that to my notes and do some research on proper care for them. 3nodding It's much appreciated!

Understandable. I'll add that to my notes as well. Ugh, Hot Topic "corsets". emotion_puke

Thank you so much for your input! I appreciate that very much, and I will add everything you've suggested to my notes! 3nodding Thank you so much!
Glad I could help. ^_^

My corset was so expensive because it was custom built and fitted for me. The fabric was made by the corsettier, and it was the last of that fabric he had. I probably overpaid a bit, but I don't mind supporting independent artists like that, especially since they are SUCH nice people. Here's an old picture of it, by the way. If you wanna see it.

And here's an old picture of my necklace. And my DeathNote inverted cross.

I'm a bit of an odd goth, really. The whole jeans thing throws a lot of people off, and I don't really act like a typical goth. I don't feel the need to fully "goth it up" every day, every single time I go out. For me it's more of an occasion thing. Do I have a legitimate reason to get up and get cute? If so, then I'll do it. If I'm just lounging around the house all day and suddenly need to go get stuff for dinner, I'm at least going to put jeans on, a real shirt, a hoodie, and a pair of Vans. I'm not going to spend an hour or two getting all gothy just to make a quick grocery run. Whereas other goths will.
Saffron Bunny
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

True.

Real corsets, yes. Fashion corsets, I can find for as low as $15 online... though I'm not sure about the site. More common is the $40-$60 range.

Also, to Jagger-Wolf's list of criteria on what to look for in a reputable corset-dealer, I'd also add: "should offer custom sizing with full measurements and details on how to take them" (at least, for the real corsets.) Opinions may differ on that one, but for me (being also trans) I find it essential.
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

Glad I could help. ^_^

My corset was so expensive because it was custom built and fitted for me. The fabric was made by the corsettier, and it was the last of that fabric he had. I probably overpaid a bit, but I don't mind supporting independent artists like that, especially since they are SUCH nice people. Here's an old picture of it, by the way. If you wanna see it.

I'm a bit of an odd goth, really. The whole jeans thing throws a lot of people off, and I don't really act like a typical goth. I don't feel the need to fully "goth it up" every day, every single time I go out. For me it's more of an occasion thing. Do I have a legitimate reason to get up and get cute? If so, then I'll do it. If I'm just lounging around the house all day and suddenly need to go get stuff for dinner, I'm at least going to put jeans on, a real shirt, a hoodie, and a pair of Vans. I'm not going to spend an hour or two getting all gothy just to make a quick grocery run. Whereas other goths will.

It really is appreciated! 3nodding

It's always comforting to know people support independent artists like that. He did a really nice job on it! It's a very bad-a** corset. 3nodding

Those necklaces are awesome, too! 3nodding

It seems more practical, in my opinion. I have respect for all the sub categories of goth (except mall goth), but for the ones that spend tons of time getting ready to do something simple, such as going grocery shopping, I don't entirely understand that. I've nothing against that though, of course.
Kaosgirl
Saffron Bunny
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

True.

Real corsets, yes. Fashion corsets, I can find for as low as $15 online... though I'm not sure about the site. More common is the $40-$60 range.

Also, to Jagger-Wolf's list of criteria on what to look for in a reputable corset-dealer, I'd also add: "should offer custom sizing with full measurements and details on how to take them" (at least, for the real corsets.) Opinions may differ on that one, but for me (being also trans) I find it essential.

That's true. I think Charlotte Russe sells fashion corsets for a cheaper price than some other places.

All right, thank you. 3nodding I'll add that to my notes! Much appreciated. 3nodding

Eloquent Vampire

Saffron Bunny
Jagger-Wolf
Saffron Bunny

Glad I could help. ^_^

It really is appreciated! 3nodding

It's always comforting to know people support independent artists like that. He did a really nice job on it! It's a very bad-a** corset. 3nodding

Those necklaces are awesome, too! 3nodding

It seems more practical, in my opinion. I have respect for all the sub categories of goth (except mall goth), but for the ones that spend tons of time getting ready to do something simple, such as going grocery shopping, I don't entirely understand that. I've nothing against that though, of course.
Some people do, and that's cool. But for me personally, it's just a waste of time and makeup. I'm not getting dressed up just to go grocery shopping.

If I'm already out and about all gothed up, then sure, I'll hit the store on the way home or whatever.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff