33,275 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
Kitsune No Tsubasa
SakuraSyaoran
Kitsune No Tsubasa
SakuraSyaoran

AFF is pretty crap now. Some ownership drama and some weird drama going on with accounts and stuff. They also don't have any way to leave reviews. I'd probably say that AO3 is the best option, if there was a way to get the whole FFnet community on there.

But I agree, they should just add a MA filter and allow MA fics. If they enforce that rule, they're gonna lose a lot of writers.

I saw that notice thing and I'm going to back up all my work, probably post it to AO3. Just in case. I haven't seen those trolls though...I'll keep a look out.

AO3 would be perfect, I just didn't think of it cause it didn't have my favorite pairings in their filter. But it would be a wonderful place for everyone to move their fics. Yeah, AFF.net is getting crazy. It's only good because you can put "adult" fics on there but I have to agree with the review issue. I miss reviewing to my fav fic writers and one of my fav fic writers finally got pissed off and left. She made her own site so I'm cool with it. xd And the new background image for the page sometimes hurts my eyes. crying Now as for the older fics issue, some of these authors may get the warning, but I'm still wondering if they might care if their fic gets removed or not. I mean, they haven't written a fic in along time and may have grown out of fanfiction and not care what happens to their works. I know that most fic writers care about their fics like it's their child, but there are still those rare cases.
I'm also worried that the fic writers who have adult content in their works will stop uploading fics for a while because of this issue. I was really looking forward to some good fics today!

By the way....if you happen to see a troll.....SQUASH HIM LIKE A BUG!

Oh hell yeah. Ain't nobody troll me and get away with it.

On AO3, they only don't have your pairing in the filter because there aren't any fics written in that pairing yet. AO3's still growing so it's not as big as FFnet or anything, though I'm hoping that a lot more people will at least start cross-posting there. I haven't yet but I probably will.

Yeah, I'm worried about that too. There are a lot of great fics I've read that the writer hasn't been on FF for ages, and I really don't want them to get deleted.

But I don't think it's been the first time there's been a group going around and getting fics deleted. Before there was a group called Red Button or something. I don't know the exact details, because I wasn't around then, but a lot of my favorite fics seemed to make it through.

Ugh. I remember the red button incident! None of my fav fic writer's fics got removed but a good portion of them didn't update for a while, not until the whole situation was dealt with. So far FFnet doesn't care about the fics that are being removed. All they care about are the new upgrades being made. Who cares about pretty covers for the fics?! I just want the fics to not get removed!!!

Hilarious Regular

5,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
What is AO3?

Beloved Detective

10,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
magus_dark_sorcerer
AO3?

Archive of Our Own. It's a fanfic archive, currently fairly small, but I like it. Pretty easy to navigate but it could use a lot more growth in a lot of fandoms, especially most of their anime fandoms.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Kitsune No Tsubasa
magus_dark_sorcerer
AO3?

Archive of Our Own. It's a fanfic archive, currently fairly small, but I like it. Pretty easy to navigate but it could use a lot more growth in a lot of fandoms, especially most of their anime fandoms.

But they put you on a waiting list before you can start an account there.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Also, I'm sure you've all seen the petition to stop the purge of stories. (If not, it has its own thread in this forum.) But there's also a petition to spot Critic United specifically, and all cyber-bullying on ff.n in general.

"Stop Critic United from Cyber-Bullying"

Wild Ladykiller

AO3

It's a fanfic archive that's in beta. I know that it's not purely designated for fanfiction though, because I know a handful of members that post art, podfics and an assortment of other fandom related pieces. The site is run by Organization of Transformative Works, and they're all members of fandom. The best part of the site is that you elect the board members of the site and can volunteer to help. The site is easier to navigate and you can use tags to find specific kinds of stories that you want to read.

There aren't many alternatives to FF.net, well established ones that is. You have AO3, Livejournal and Dreamwidth (These two are fandom dependent on how established your fandom is) or fandom specific archives (westwingstories.com, whofic.com, ect.). And probably a few others that I'm unfamiliar with. All of these allow NC-17 rated fics! They also allow RPF, songfics, list fics and pretty much anything you can think of.

The thing is, FF.net's MA rule has been in effect for ten years now. I know, I was there when they did it. FF.net has always had rules like that. It's why it's a subpar hosting site. Plagarism on their site runs rampant because they don't deal with it as they should and you now have to check it fully for grammar (their attempt at quality control).

Can you tell I'm not very fond of FF.net? Apparently I'm a bit annoyed towards this site!

I know that there is a waiting list for AO3, but it's well worth it! I do have two invitiations to anyone who wants them (alright, not anyone, you have to post things!), because I hated that waiting list!

Hilarious Regular

5,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Ill take one if you dont mind. Want to check this site out

Beloved Detective

10,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Might look into that site.

Wild Ladykiller

emerald_Fox01
Ill take one if you dont mind. Want to check this site out
I don't mind at all, I would rather people have a safe place to post than be attacked on FF.net. The site sends invitations through email, so if you don't mind me knowing your email to send it to you, shoot me a PM.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Normally I would jump at the chance to skip the line. But I think in this case I'll take advantage of my waiting period to decide how I really feel about AO3. Thus far, it doesn't seem quite as well organized as ff.n and I am not finding it as user-friendly either.

That is a very generous offer you made, Elesteria, and I'm sure you'll give your remaining invite to an author who truly deserves it.

Wild Ladykiller

Renkon Root

Normally I would jump at the chance to skip the line. But I think in this case I'll take advantage of my waiting period to decide how I really feel about AO3. Thus far, it doesn't seem quite as well organized as ff.n and I am not finding it as user-friendly either.

That is a very generous offer you made, Elesteria, and I'm sure you'll give your remaining invite to an author who truly deserves it.

I agree that the site isn't as well organized and that it does have its moments, but it's still in beta and I give it a lot of leniency for that. I think that it's all a matter of preference. I know that I don't use the site as my main fandom location, because there are other options. I have high hopes for it as a site that will grow and have members volunteer to help make it better for other users.

I hope that you manage to find a site that is good for you. We all need our homes.

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
I signed the petition. Has anyone else?

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
RiverSong1984
I signed the petition. Has anyone else?

I have signed both. Though, I care a bit more about the CU Cyber-bullying one than I do about the Archive Purge.

@elesteria: Agreed.

Dapper Poster

AO3 sounds pretty interesting.

How long has it been in beta for; does anyone know?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff