Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unholy Lunatic

20,800 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Jack-pot 100
SinfulGuillotine
Satanic PandaCakes
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
The Baphomet Is Speaking:
☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠

ugh, why is good support so hard to find?

~*☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠*~
Ave!
sad

How do you mean? Are you talking about professional therapists/psychiatrists, or just friends/family/etc.?

You can always talk to me, either here or via PMs. <3

☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠

just anyone in general. i hate how the boyfriend always shrugs off when i'm upset. if he tells me to man up one more time i'm kicking him in the groin.

~*☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠*~
Ave!

Perfect Trash

Satanic PandaCakes
SinfulGuillotine
Satanic PandaCakes
☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠

ugh, why is good support so hard to find?

~*☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠*~
Ave!
sad

How do you mean? Are you talking about professional therapists/psychiatrists, or just friends/family/etc.?

You can always talk to me, either here or via PMs. <3

☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠

just anyone in general. i hate how the boyfriend always shrugs off when i'm upset. if he tells me to man up one more time i'm kicking him in the groin.

~*☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠*~
Ave!
Do it. That kind of s**t is so amazingly not helpful.

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
Satanic PandaCakes
☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠

~*☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠*~
Ave!
And when he complains about how his groin hurts, tell him to man up.

Unholy Lunatic

20,800 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Jack-pot 100
Petrograd
Satanic PandaCakes
☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠

~*☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠*~
Ave!
And when he complains about how his groin hurts, tell him to man up.

☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠

lol, i don't think that'd go over well.

~*☠~✭~♫~✭ ~☠*~
Ave!

Mind-boggling Seeker

9,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Petrograd
tessellaite
I've been diagnosed with PTSD as well as a few other things.

Not sure what else to say o-o
Hello :3 Welcome in.

I've had PTSD since 2003. I'm 30 and live in Sweden!

When did you find out about PTSD, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you for the welcome :3

It's nice to meet you. I'm 19 and live in the US.

It had been suggested that I had since I was 15 but I didn't get diagnosed until I was 18. I found out while in therapy this past summer.

Feral Kitten

I have PTSD from a couple of things.

1. My dad having car accidents

2. I was branded when I was a 2005..

Perfect Trash

tessellaite
Petrograd
tessellaite
I've been diagnosed with PTSD as well as a few other things.

Not sure what else to say o-o
Hello :3 Welcome in.

I've had PTSD since 2003. I'm 30 and live in Sweden!

When did you find out about PTSD, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you for the welcome :3

It's nice to meet you. I'm 19 and live in the US.

It had been suggested that I had since I was 15 but I didn't get diagnosed until I was 18. I found out while in therapy this past summer.
Welcome!

I wasn't diagnosed until I was....I think 26 or 27, and the first events that likely caused it started when I was about 15. I just firmly refused to seek out any kind of professional help until my partner basically dragged me kicking and screaming (not literally, but close) to a psychiatrist a couple weeks after a failed suicide attempt. Denial can be a powerful thing.

Have things gotten any easier for you, or at least less confusing, since you've been diagnosed?

Perfect Trash

Shadowed Prayer

Welcome!

I think you may have made a typo on number 2, or left out a word or something. I'm not sure what you're trying to say there.

Auto accidents can definitely be very scary. I've known several people over the years who have been very fearful of driving and/or riding in cars because of previous wrecks. I hope you were not seriously injured. Physically, at least.

Mind-boggling Seeker

9,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
SinfulGuillotine
Welcome!

I wasn't diagnosed until I was....I think 26 or 27, and the first events that likely caused it started when I was about 15. I just firmly refused to seek out any kind of professional help until my partner basically dragged me kicking and screaming (not literally, but close) to a psychiatrist a couple weeks after a failed suicide attempt. Denial can be a powerful thing.

Have things gotten any easier for you, or at least less confusing, since you've been diagnosed?

I'm sorry to hear about the past suicide attempt -- that in itself can be traumatic. I'm glad you're still here tho!

Things were really rough when they first added PTSD to my diagnosis'. Among my disorders are bipolar, borderline personality and major depression with psychotic features.
It took awhile but things are getting better. I'm not currently in therapy as I relocated yet again in order to attend college; so I don't think things have improved because of my diagnosis. But since then, I've had some realizations that make things a little easier -- plus, the mediation is playing a big role in me not trying to off myself again.
So I think it's a combination of things really. I'm still confused about some thing tho.

How about you -- have things gotten any easier or became clearer since being diagnosed?

Feral Kitten

SinfulGuillotine
Shadowed Prayer

Welcome!

I think you may have made a typo on number 2, or left out a word or something. I'm not sure what you're trying to say there.

Auto accidents can definitely be very scary. I've known several people over the years who have been very fearful of driving and/or riding in cars because of previous wrecks. I hope you were not seriously injured. Physically, at least.

I meant to say it happened when I was 14, it happened in 2005. A "relationship" I was in turned horrible and I have a brand on the inside of my right wrist.

I was the one who went and got my dad after the accident. It took over 2 hours and 20 chains to get the Focus hooked to the tow truck. There was no front end left to it. Plus, he was less than 5 feet from a 50 foot straight down drop. The car would have exploded on impact, all the fluids including the gas were pouring out of it. My dad has a couple of broken ribs, and a a bruise bigger than a cantaloupe from where the seat belt clips in down by his hip.

We still have no idea how my dad survived that, the next day he almost took my car to work but I made him call in. I get really freaked out now when it comes to driving and it has gotten worse since my daughter was born.

Friendly Guildsman

SinfulGuillotine
grinningjester
SinfulGuillotine

Question for the thread in a similar vein: how many of you have made a habit of informing people in your life like co-workers (in other words, people you see very frequently and spend a significant amount of time around, but who aren't necessarily close friends) about your symptoms? For those of you who have shared this information with such people, has it had a significant effect in your dealings with these people and your overall environment?

I have to tell people because I have a service dog. It opens the door. On his vest across his back is a large patch that says "PTSD: Not all wounds are visible." So when people see him, they either know what PTSD is and ask me about it or they don't know and ask me about it. It has definitely helped me out, especially when I have a startle response to something. When I jump or go to the floor and crawl or when I stop paying attention to them because someone walked by that makes me nervous, I don't really have to explain. They understand, or if they don't actually understand, they accept. It makes my responses explainable, instead of wow, look at that guy being a freak.
That makes sense. People are always curious about service dogs, it seems. A friend of mine has a service dog, and people are always coming up to her and asking questions, usually relating to why she has the dog in the first place and what sorts of tasks the dog does for her.

Personally, I've always thought it's a little bit rude that complete strangers just walk up to someone and ask them about their disability, but I guess they usually mean well, and my friend insists she doesn't mind.

I agree it seems rude. It is rather invasive. But I'd rather explain and open awareness about how some people might look "normal" but can still be disabled, than have people look at me like a crazy person when a loud noise startles me.

Perfect Trash

tessellaite
SinfulGuillotine
Welcome!

I'm sorry to hear about the past suicide attempt -- that in itself can be traumatic. I'm glad you're still here tho!

Things were really rough when they first added PTSD to my diagnosis'. Among my disorders are bipolar, borderline personality and major depression with psychotic features.
It took awhile but things are getting better. I'm not currently in therapy as I relocated yet again in order to attend college; so I don't think things have improved because of my diagnosis. But since then, I've had some realizations that make things a little easier -- plus, the mediation is playing a big role in me not trying to off myself again.
So I think it's a combination of things really. I'm still confused about some thing tho.

How about you -- have things gotten any easier or became clearer since being diagnosed?
Eh, I guess so. Maybe. I mean, things have gotten better since I was diagnosed, and I'm sure that part of that is due to therapy, but a lot of it has just been time-related. I'm honestly not sure I would have made much progress if I'd opted to go to therapy sooner, just because I don't think it was something I was ready to talk about.

In a nutshell: I'm not sure the diagnosis itself helped me, but I do think that both the resulting therapy, and the timing of said therapy has certainly been helpful.

Although I find myself reaching a point lately where I'm just getting really sick of dealing with it. It's been long enough now, even since the more recent set of events, that I'm becoming pretty frustrated that I can't just leave it behind once and for all. Or maybe I'm just frustrated with life in general right now, I'm not really sure. Probably both.

Therapy is certainly helpful, though, especially if you can find a mental health professional with whom you mesh fairly well.

Perfect Trash

Shadowed Prayer
SinfulGuillotine
Shadowed Prayer

Welcome!

I meant to say it happened when I was 14, it happened in 2005. A "relationship" I was in turned horrible and I have a brand on the inside of my right wrist.

I was the one who went and got my dad after the accident. It took over 2 hours and 20 chains to get the Focus hooked to the tow truck. There was no front end left to it. Plus, he was less than 5 feet from a 50 foot straight down drop. The car would have exploded on impact, all the fluids including the gas were pouring out of it. My dad has a couple of broken ribs, and a a bruise bigger than a cantaloupe from where the seat belt clips in down by his hip.

We still have no idea how my dad survived that, the next day he almost took my car to work but I made him call in. I get really freaked out now when it comes to driving and it has gotten worse since my daughter was born.
I'm sorry to hear that. I've dealt with an abusive relationship myself, and they're no fun at all (and isn't that the understatement of the century).

It sounds like your father was incredibly lucky. I mean, I guess he was unlucky in that he was in the wreck to begin with, but to survive such a bad accident with such minor injuries is pretty amazing. I can see why that might make you nervous about driving, though. Driving is actually a pretty rational thing to be afraid of, when I stop to think about it. I guess I just try not to think about it most of the time. I've also never been in a serious accident, so I'm sure that helps.

Perfect Trash

grinningjester
SinfulGuillotine
grinningjester
SinfulGuillotine

Question for the thread in a similar vein: how many of you have made a habit of informing people in your life like co-workers (in other words, people you see very frequently and spend a significant amount of time around, but who aren't necessarily close friends) about your symptoms? For those of you who have shared this information with such people, has it had a significant effect in your dealings with these people and your overall environment?

I have to tell people because I have a service dog. It opens the door. On his vest across his back is a large patch that says "PTSD: Not all wounds are visible." So when people see him, they either know what PTSD is and ask me about it or they don't know and ask me about it. It has definitely helped me out, especially when I have a startle response to something. When I jump or go to the floor and crawl or when I stop paying attention to them because someone walked by that makes me nervous, I don't really have to explain. They understand, or if they don't actually understand, they accept. It makes my responses explainable, instead of wow, look at that guy being a freak.
That makes sense. People are always curious about service dogs, it seems. A friend of mine has a service dog, and people are always coming up to her and asking questions, usually relating to why she has the dog in the first place and what sorts of tasks the dog does for her.

Personally, I've always thought it's a little bit rude that complete strangers just walk up to someone and ask them about their disability, but I guess they usually mean well, and my friend insists she doesn't mind.

I agree it seems rude. It is rather invasive. But I'd rather explain and open awareness about how some people might look "normal" but can still be disabled, than have people look at me like a crazy person when a loud noise startles me.
Yeah, absolutely. As I said, I understand that they usually mean well, or at least certainly don't mean any harm. They're just asking questions about something they're genuinely curious about, and genuine curiosity trumps judgemental assumptions.

Perfect Trash

Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Good news everyone! So I've been bitching about how my boss fired one of my favourite co-workers and hired a complete moron in her place....well, the new employee hasn't shown up for work or called in for the past two days.. Guess who got her job back? lol xd

Sometimes the universe is a beautiful thing. This is, without a doubt, the best possible way this situation could have panned out. Everyone's favourite nurse gets her job back, and our boss looks like a completely incompetent moron to the administration. I'm going to have to resist the urge to tell her to put her resignation letter on my desk on Monday.

...I know it probably sounds really mean that I'm taking pleasure in the fact that someone might lose their job, but keep in mind that my boss fired a skilled, experienced, well-loved worker over a petty personal vendetta. I don't want her to starve to death in a ditch. I just want her to work somewhere else. She's an intelligent, well-educated woman. She'll find another job. Hopefully one where her bitchiness might actually be a good thing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff